PDA

View Full Version : Pompeo argued Thursday for a more limited U.S. view of global human rights advocacy

Swordsmyth
07-17-2020, 01:18 AM
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo argued Thursday for a more limited U.S. view of global human rights advocacy based on the principals laid out by America's Founding Fathers, a suggestion critics assumed meant stepping away from more modern concepts such as support for women and the LGBQT communities around the world.

Pompeo, speaking in Philadelphia, singled out property rights and religious freedom as “foremost” principals in a speech that elsewhere complained about the “proliferation” of protections in international agreements related to human rights.

“We are forced to grapple with tough choices about which rights to promote and how to think about this," he said. “Americans have not only unalienable rights, but also positive rights granted by governments, courts and multilateral bodies. Many are worth defending in light of our founding; others aren’t.”

Pompeo on Thursday released a report produced by the Commission on Unalienable Rights, which he tasked last year with conducting a broad review of U.S. human rights policy, arguing at the time that it had “lost its bearings.”

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/pompeo-says-us-limit-human-223232100.html

Cutlerzzz
07-17-2020, 01:57 AM
With how strong and independent womyn are, I don’t see why they should want or need a patriarchal and oppressive culture like the US giving them help. If anything, I would expect them to take over their diverse societies and run them. I also don’t see oppression against LGBTQIZGDI+++ lasting long. If Saudi Arabia or Nigeria have their populations polling at 95% anti gay, that just means that those countries are 95% closeted so they will eventually come out.

Swordsmyth
07-17-2020, 01:28 PM
Biden would do this :sarcasm: