PDA

View Full Version : Okay, serious question.

wgadget
12-15-2007, 05:10 PM
I've had people around me that I work with telling me that even if Ron Paul gets the most votes in the primaries, he still won't get the nomination from the Republican party. Is there any truth to this?

I've been telling him that's why we're all working so hard to become RP delegates. This man is a native of Poland and very smart.

Your thoughts, please.

SonicInfinity
12-15-2007, 05:11 PM
Illuminati, Hillary, 2012, etc.

ClayTrainor
12-15-2007, 05:12 PM
Vote Fraud!

nyrgoal99
12-15-2007, 05:24 PM
It really depends on delegates, We seem to be doing quite well there. Ron Paul can win

dspectre
12-15-2007, 05:28 PM
If the Republican party fails to support RP if he wins the popular vote, it would be political suicide.

TheNewYorker
12-15-2007, 05:29 PM
It depends. We all know Ron Paul has the best chance at getting the nomination, and if he does not, then obviously the polls are rigged.

Of course, the Republican Party is a private party. If the leadership doesn't like Ron Paul and refuses to nominate him, I doubt they have to. It's like walking into a grocery store (private property) and having people voting for you to be their mascot - the grocery store still doesn't have to do it.

wgadget
12-15-2007, 05:29 PM
This man insists that since Ron's view on the war issue goes against all the other Republicans they won't give it to him. He insists that he should run as an independent if he wants to get anywhere.

TheNewYorker
12-15-2007, 05:30 PM
This man insists that since Ron's view on the war issue goes against all the other Republicans they won't give it to him. He insists that he should run as an independent if he wants to get anywhere.

Well, if Ron Paul does not get the Republican nomination, he should definitely run third party, even though he has said he wouldn't.

But, first things first, try to get that elusive republican nomination.

FreeTraveler
12-15-2007, 05:31 PM
As mentioned above, it all boils down to having delegates to represent him in states where he wins delegates in the primaries, and we seem to be doing very well there.

wgadget
12-15-2007, 05:32 PM
Good, then I am answering him correctly?

dspectre
12-15-2007, 05:33 PM

it doesn't matter. If the people overwhelmingly support RP and they do not nominate him, it would be political suicide for th Republican party. The whole system would be called into question to say the least. That is the best case scenario.

mathamagician
12-15-2007, 05:44 PM
My understanding is that at the national convention each delagate is obligated to vote according to how people voted in the primary in their state (except for a very few states where the primary vote has no effect on anything). After that vote if no one has a majority the delegates are freed to vote however they please.

Am I correct about this?

ronpaulyourmom
12-15-2007, 05:57 PM
The answer to both of you is that we need to have 50% of all the delegates. This is mostly achieved through voting. To make this happen, we need to do very well on Feb 5th.

If we do not get 50% of all the delegates, it'll come down to a brokerage at the convention. Your friend is probably thinking that this is the likely outcome of the race, being as divided as it is, and that since we're the black sheep of the party that it's unlikely to go our way. The counter-argument to that is essentially that we've got a lot of committed Ron Paul supporters filling delegate slots, and that at the convention we'll find a way to use the 3rd party threat and force their hand in our favor.

Your friend makes a valid point, but it's not 100%.

ValidusCustodiae
12-15-2007, 06:03 PM
It's underhanded, but it's true. Once they start to play dirty (that is if we have the popularity but those in charge refuse to acknowledge it) we will threaten 3rd party run. It's divisive, but at that point we'll have nothing to lose.

Chester Copperpot
12-15-2007, 06:05 PM
I've had people around me that I work with telling me that even if Ron Paul gets the most votes in the primaries, he still won't get the nomination from the Republican party. Is there any truth to this?

I've been telling him that's why we're all working so hard to become RP delegates. This man is a native of Poland and very smart.

Your thoughts, please.

Well if the man is from Poland he should know about a Polish freedom fighter who against all odds became the president of Poland. His name was Lech Walesa.

If Poland can do it, then so can we.