PDA

View Full Version : Colbert just made a joke at RP

njandrewg
07-03-2007, 09:48 PM
The piece was about how republicans don't believe in evolution. And he said something along the lines: "this is bad news for binkos(a monkey), which was just starting to pull ahead of Ron Paul"

I think RP will get a ton more respect when his Q2 numbers come out

Devil_rules_in_extremes
07-03-2007, 09:50 PM
Yea, I just saw that on TV a couple minutes ago...

ecliptic
07-03-2007, 10:00 PM
Colbert and the Daily Show are gatekeepers, nothing more. They are not your friends. They are establishment phonies. False opposition. Wise up people...

Rabbit
07-03-2007, 10:15 PM
As I understand Colbert, he makes fun of things he agrees with, and is positive about things of which he is opposed.. His whole show is sarcasm at it's extreme.. Anyway, my opinion is that what Colbert really said was: "Hey we need to keep talking about this guy Ron Paul because he doesn't have the numbers he could."

Just my take on it..

Avalon
07-03-2007, 10:16 PM
Colbert and the Daily Show are gatekeepers, nothing more. They are not your friends. They are establishment phonies. False opposition. Wise up people...

I disagree. They both cover the news better in an hour (together) than CNN, FOX, ABC, CBS, or MSNBC does during a whole day. They are constantly calling politicians to task and show us the hypocrisy of talking points. They both bring on guests that wouldn't get exposure on other programs. Jon Stewart went on Crossfire to attack that awful show and everything in entailed. He didn't win any points from the establishment for doing so. Both seemed to be friendly toward Ron Paul despite the establishment's line of "Democrats must not like republicans."

BillyBeer
07-03-2007, 10:22 PM
I disagree. They both cover the news better in an hour (together) than CNN, FOX, ABC, CBS, or MSNBC does during a whole day. They are constantly calling politicians to task and show us the hypocrisy of talking points. They both bring on guests that wouldn't get exposure on other programs. Jon Stewart went on Crossfire to attack that awful show and everything in entailed. He didn't win any points from the establishment for doing so. Both seemed to be friendly toward Ron Paul despite the establishment's line of "Democrats must not like republicans."

Funny how they never mention AIPAC

Kuldebar
07-03-2007, 10:25 PM

Now, now, we can't mention that on a comedy show because the Holocaust ain't funny!

Or something like that...

FreedomLover
07-03-2007, 10:30 PM
it wasnt really that bad, its just a small jab at his poll numbers. And he got mentioned atleast, which really outdoes any supposed harm from his comment.

jd603
07-03-2007, 10:32 PM
FYI, this is a re-run from weeks ago, colbert is on vacation for 2 weeks. :)

..and yes, Colbert doesn't seem to have an issue with Ron Paul, he's given him some good air time, I think Stewart and Colbert like him, if they like him more than particular democrats I don't know. Generally they are pretty well informed though.

Avalon
07-03-2007, 10:34 PM

What would you suggest they say? I haven't heard them focus on any lobbyist group. Besides, they just make fun of topics in the news and AIPAC never is.

d'anconia
07-03-2007, 10:37 PM
I took it to mean that somehow the top-tier candidates are idiots (monkeys). And that fools are still somehow able to pass RP. Whatever though, it's very old.

tsoldrin
07-03-2007, 11:25 PM
If Ron Paul wins that bastard Colbert is going to be crowing to the moon... he'll claim it as his own personal victory because of the 'bump'. He'll be insufferable.

smtwngrl
07-03-2007, 11:34 PM
That's O.K., if that happens, let him crow. We won't care, we will just be very happy that Ron won. :D

netmasta10bt
07-03-2007, 11:35 PM
Agreed. This is good publicity. Anyone that does know will be angry (and then do something positive for RP) or laugh. Anyone who doesn't may actually do some homework.

ADGettis
07-04-2007, 12:05 AM
If Ron Paul wins that bastard Colbert is going to be crowing to the moon... he'll claim it as his own personal victory because of the 'bump'. He'll be insufferable.

Thing is, when Colbert crows, it's to make himself look silly. When O'Hannity crows, they seriously believe they are omnipotent. I'm sure when Paul wins Colbert will indeed crow, and it will be funny.

buffalokid777
07-04-2007, 12:08 AM

I would disagree.....

It was hillarious when he tore up Bush and the Media at the President's correspondants dinner a year or so ago....

He said alot of things to them I wish I could....

But because of truthiness and being a comedian, he got away with it :)

Let's face it, it was so inflammatory MSM wouldn't show it.....

Here it is if you've never seen it.....

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-869183917758574879

GOOD STUFF!

LibertyEagle
07-04-2007, 02:46 AM
I know. I loved it! You can tell people were getting very uncomfortable.

markpa
07-04-2007, 03:08 AM
I would disagree.....

It was hillarious when he tore up Bush and the Media at the President's correspondants dinner a year or so ago....

He said alot of things to them I wish I could....

But because of truthiness and being a comedian, he got away with it :)

Let's face it, it was so inflammatory MSM wouldn't show it.....

Here it is if you've never seen it.....

GOOD STUFF!

Thanks, I've never seen that before. I love it when he attacks the media right in front of there faces. I think Colbert and Stewart are really funny. Ofcourse I don't agree with everything they say but its still funny.

Electrostatic
07-04-2007, 04:07 AM
ecliptic - I understand your concerns, but did you see what Colbert did to the Washington Press Corps with Bush in attendence?

If he was trying to be a "gatekeeper", he failed horribly.

edit: just noticed buffalokid777 already linked this...

Revolution9
07-04-2007, 05:37 AM

This is my one issue with them. Israel is never mentioned and there is a slight persecuted jew to some of Stewarts quips.. However..he is a Jewish comedian and that is a part of the self deprecation schtick that is time honored amongst that clan. The jokes are insightful if you just remember to keep the real estate between your ears in pristine condition:)

Best Regards
Randy

Dan Klaus
07-04-2007, 07:08 AM
Binko for VP!!

cajuncocoa
07-04-2007, 07:50 AM
It would be nice if all of the jokes are positive, but if they include RP at all it has to be considered a plus. TV time is expensive; those jokes are free publicity! People will wonder who it is these guys are talking about. It's all good.

Aborell
07-04-2007, 08:10 AM
As I understand Colbert, he makes fun of things he agrees with, and is positive about things of which he is opposed.. His whole show is sarcasm at it's extreme.. Anyway, my opinion is that what Colbert really said was: "Hey we need to keep talking about this guy Ron Paul because he doesn't have the numbers he could."

Just my take on it..

No, you're exactly spot on. It would actually be absurd to become upset over this; Colbert is doing Dr. Paul an IMMENSE favor every time he mentions his name.

The fact that Colbert CONTINUES to mention his name on a regular basis betrays the respect Stephen has for the man.