PDA

View Full Version : Payment gateway limitations

curiousobserver
12-15-2007, 02:58 PM
The last time around...on nov 5th...there was talk on these forums on 'payment gateway' being able to process only about $250k per hour or so and that there was lag between the actual donations and the figure shown on the donation counter.

Is that the case this time too? or has it been taken care of?

curiousobserver
12-15-2007, 03:20 PM
Has this been taken care of?

pacelli
12-15-2007, 03:29 PM
No idea at all.

jblosser
12-15-2007, 03:30 PM
It was speculation, nothing more, and the fact the donations levelled off immediately at midnight showed it wasn't a real limitation.

Visual
12-15-2007, 03:52 PM
from what I heard there wasnt that much of a problem with donations. Besides, HQ updated their servers...

Dan D.
12-15-2007, 04:17 PM
It wasn't a limitation last time, and it's not a limitation this time.

Hook
12-15-2007, 04:18 PM
I was one of the speculators on that because the graph was so perfectly linear. It turned out that there was no lag however, so I think it won't be a problem this time either.

Jobarra
12-15-2007, 05:32 PM
Well last time I know people were reporting that their payments didn't go through(never received a confirmation). Did anyone come back and find it did go through or was it truly 'lost'.

Lacrosseus
12-15-2007, 05:54 PM
The last time around...on nov 5th...there was talk on these forums on 'payment gateway' being able to process only about $250k per hour or so and that there was lag between the actual donations and the figure shown on the donation counter.

When I made my donation, I added an odd number of cents to see if they would show up... and immediately, I could see the cents added to the total. If I recall correctly, the total ended at .55 -- I added .04 at the end of my donation and the total went to .59 as soon as I went back to the front page and stayed at .59 for several minutes while the dollar counter went up.

Could have been coincidence, but not likely.

defcreative
12-15-2007, 05:56 PM

I am fully versed with point of sale, merchant accounts, and payment gateway systems and I don't believe I have ever heard of this before. I cannot understand why that would be the cause as it certainly wouldn't be due to a lack of processing power; you should see some of these mainframe farms the big credit companies have.

cjhowe
12-15-2007, 06:25 PM
I am fully versed with point of sale, merchant accounts, and payment gateway systems and I don't believe I have ever heard of this before. I cannot understand why that would be the cause as it certainly wouldn't be due to a lack of processing power; you should see some of these mainframe farms the big credit companies have.

It has nothing to do with what the processing company has. If the website's software only attempts to make one request at a time and wait for the response before sending another request, it will be limited to roughly 1800 cc processing requests an hour (pretty close to what we saw). Prior to November 5th, there would be no reason for any campaign to worry about going faster because
A) No other campaign has ever expected more than 1800 donations/ hour for 18 hours by credit card
B) No other campaign has ever offered a real time counter so even if A) occurred, there would be no problem in it going over to a second day

Hook
12-15-2007, 07:10 PM
It has nothing to do with what the processing company has. If the website's software only attempts to make one request at a time and wait for the response before sending another request, it will be limited to roughly 1800 cc processing requests an hour (pretty close to what we saw). Prior to November 5th, there would be no reason for any campaign to worry about going faster because
A) No other campaign has ever expected more than 1800 donations/ hour for 18 hours by credit card
B) No other campaign has ever offered a real time counter so even if A) occurred, there would be no problem in it going over to a second day

I'm hoping that by now they have multithreaded their app. Of course this is HQ we are talking about, so I probably shouldn't hold my breath :D