PDA

View Full Version : Trump Threatens to 'Cut Off the Whole Relationship' With China, Says U.S. Would Save $500 Bill

TheCount
05-14-2020, 01:19 PM
President Donald Trump suggested on Thursday that the U.S. could "cut off the whole relationship" with China, claiming that doing so would save the country $500 billion.

"There are many things we could do," Trump told Fox Business host Maria Bartiromo on Thursday morning. "We could cut off the whole relationship."

The U.S. and many other nations have become increasingly critical of China amid the ongoing novel coronavirus pandemic, which first arose in the Chinese city of Wuhan. China has been accused of covering up the extent of the outbreak and failing to be transparent about the seriousness of the virus. China has attempted to dismiss these criticisms and claimed that the Trump administration is trying to deflect criticism of its own response to the crisis.

The president suggested on Thursday that cutting ties with China would save the U.S. money.

"Now, if you did, what would happen?" he asked. "You'd save $500 billion if you cut off the whole relationship."

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-threatens-cut-off-whole-relationship-china-says-us-would-save-500-billion-1504042

jkr
05-14-2020, 01:28 PM
DO
IT

Anti Globalist
05-14-2020, 05:27 PM
Yes follow through and do it.

Pauls' Revere
05-14-2020, 05:36 PM
DO
IT
realDonaldTrump Bring Obama & his accessory's to justice, PRESS CHARGES! Also, cut off China!
DO IT!
DO IT!
DO IT!

Krugminator2
05-14-2020, 05:40 PM
What a fucking retard. Trump is dumb as fuck.

And anybody screaming about liberty in the Justin Amash thread and then supporting this should mocked endlessly. Couldn't think of anything less libertarian than this. Besides being awful economic policy, it is bad foreign policy. I can promise you Ron Paul isn't supporting this.

r3volution 3.0
05-14-2020, 05:42 PM
If the goal is to raise consumer prices and hasten the demise of the dollar, that's a wonderful, terrific, and great plan.

Pauls' Revere
05-14-2020, 05:44 PM
Yes follow through and do it.
realDonaldTrump Bring Obama & his accessory's to justice, PRESS CHARGES! Also, cut off China!
DO IT!
DO IT!
DO IT!

dannno
05-14-2020, 06:16 PM
https://i.imgur.com/UFM8Jca.gif?noredirect

AngryCanadian
05-14-2020, 06:39 PM
If the goal is to raise consumer prices and hasten the demise of the dollar, that's a wonderful, terrific, and great plan.

And who will make American medicines for seniors and kids with illness? most of the western medicine comes from China this could affect medicine supply chain. I knew Trump was ridicules but dang.

Swordsmyth
05-14-2020, 06:42 PM
https://cdn-css.meetedgar.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Death-Star-Explosion.gif

Trade with China invites MASSIVE government intervention in our marketplace by a hostile foreign power that has been trying to destroy us and turn us communist.

05-14-2020, 06:45 PM
Never going to happen. Americans are too reliant on cheap chinese walmart crap.

AngryCanadian
05-14-2020, 06:46 PM
https://cdn-css.meetedgar.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Death-Star-Explosion.gif

Trade with China invites MASSIVE government intervention in our marketplace by a hostile foreign power that has been trying to destroy us and turn us communist.

And with it the medicines. You know that right? this might hurt Trump in the election. I have no issues punishing China's gov for the crisis but this way is a bit reckless.

Swordsmyth
05-14-2020, 06:48 PM
And with it the medicines. You know that right? this might hurt Trump in the election. I have no issues punishing China's gov for the crisis but this way is a bit reckless.
It doesn't have to happen all at once and you don't have to do everything you threaten.
Trump is well aware of the industries we need to bring home and/or shift to more trustworthy partners.

AngryCanadian
05-14-2020, 06:48 PM
What a $#@!ing retard. Trump is dumb as $#@!.

And anybody screaming about liberty in the Justin Amash thread and then supporting this should mocked endlessly. Couldn't think of anything less libertarian than this. Besides being awful economic policy, it is bad foreign policy. I can promise you Ron Paul isn't supporting this.

Pretty sure he isn't. I have no issues punishing WHO or demanding WHO to be reformed but this kind of policy could create blowback.

AngryCanadian
05-14-2020, 06:49 PM
It doesn't have to happen all at once and you don't have to do everything you threaten.
Trump is well aware of the industries we need to bring home and/or shift to more trustworthy partners.

You mean like how the Trump admin is putting his trust along with the Bill Gate's company for the vaccines? and some others with questionable history?

Swordsmyth
05-14-2020, 06:55 PM
You mean like how the Trump admin is putting his trust along with the Bill Gate's company for the vaccines? and some others with questionable history?
What does that (which I have expressed my opinion about elsewhere) have to do with disentangling from China and how to do it?

AngryCanadian
05-14-2020, 07:10 PM
What does that (which I have expressed my opinion about elsewhere) have to do with disentangling from China and how to do it?
Because disentangling from China hurts the medicine supply China
The Coronavirus Outbreak Could Disrupt the U.S. Drug Supply (https://www.cfr.org/in-brief/coronavirus-disrupt-us-drug-supply-shortages-fda)

U.S. health officials have warned that the coronavirus outbreak could lead to drug shortages. Just how much does the United States rely on pharmaceutical products from China and India?
So how is a disentangling from China benefits America again? when American drugs are made in China and India? As for Computer parts pretty sure they can be build elsewhere but still not sure how a good idea this is while we are in a crisis.

Shouldn't we be trying to figure how to get out of a crisis first before punishing others?

r3volution 3.0
05-14-2020, 07:13 PM
And who will make American medicines for seniors and kids with illness? most of the western medicine comes from China this could affect medicine supply chain. I knew Trump was ridicules but dang.

Americans can make them, at a higher price, and the taxpayer can foot the bill for the difference.

...as the taxpayer is now subsidizing American steel and other industries protected by the tariffs.

But that terrific, great, and wonderful change will take time.

To your point, if we suddenly can't import Chinese stuff, we just won't have as much stuff, medicine or otherwise.

AngryCanadian
05-14-2020, 07:30 PM
Americans can make them, at a higher price, and the taxpayer can foot the bill for the difference.

...as the taxpayer is now subsidizing American steel and other industries protected by the tariffs.

But that terrific, great, and wonderful change will take time.

To your point, if we suddenly can't import Chinese stuff, we just won't have as much stuff, medicine or otherwise.

This would be actually bad. If you wouldn't able to import as much, Americans wont have much to buy in two years from now. So yeah quite bad.

Ender
05-14-2020, 09:01 PM
What a $#@!ing retard. Trump is dumb as $#@!.

I agree!

Working Poor
05-14-2020, 09:20 PM
I think Trump throws stuff out there to see what kind of reaction he gets. I for one am some what concerned about what China may have up their sleeve I have been concerned about what is going on between us and China for a while especially after Clinton's closed all the factories made deals for them in China.
Trump is the 1st president I have heard say anything meaningful about it. But I think it is good that Trump came in and turned this apple cart over. China has too much power in our country.

Swordsmyth
05-14-2020, 09:52 PM
Because disentangling from China hurts the medicine supply China
The Coronavirus Outbreak Could Disrupt the U.S. Drug Supply (https://www.cfr.org/in-brief/coronavirus-disrupt-us-drug-supply-shortages-fda)

So how is a disentangling from China benefits America again? when American drugs are made in China and India? As for Computer parts pretty sure they can be build elsewhere but still not sure how a good idea this is while we are in a crisis.

Shouldn't we be trying to figure how to get out of a crisis first before punishing others?
Maybe we can do both?
It benefits America to get our medicine from somehwere other than China so they don't have power over us in a crisis.

TheCount
05-15-2020, 04:09 AM

We need to prevent massive government intervention in our marketplace by enacting... massive government intervention in our marketplace.