PDA

View Full Version : Full interview with cattle rancher (hat too)

tod evans
05-10-2020, 04:56 AM
This guy is on the ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8ioFjN7viY

Anti Globalist
05-10-2020, 07:50 AM
People should take his word seriously.

tod evans
05-10-2020, 07:02 PM
This guy is crying to government but at least he's pushing locally grown..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FshdRx0b1dE

Created4
05-10-2020, 08:16 PM
This guy is on the ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8ioFjN7viY

Shad Sullivan? The guy you previously called "bubba" and complained that he was looking to government to fix what government caused?

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?545890-Texas-Rancher-State-Wants-him-to-Depopulate-and-Destroy-Cattle-While-Beef-Still-Imported&highlight=cattle

I typed before listening to Bubba, he's calling for MORE government!

He want's more inspectors!

He also wants more packing houses which is good if people can keep both government and the Chinese out of 'em.

I'm all for letting the cities riot and starve!

My world will be right when government begs and Dr.'s are happy to work for food again, when the Wall-street ilk is once again labeled as carpetbaggers and bankers as shysters, when people who produce are paid more than those who talk.

But Bubba is asking government to fix what government wrought....

Created4
05-10-2020, 08:36 PM
And I'm not so sure this guy is that "small." More info: https://www.r-calfusa.com/shad-sullivan-region-v-director/

As he says in the video interview (I haven't watched it all yet), he is a "feeder" to the large CAFO (Confined Animal Feeding Operations) operations.

And they guy interviewing him doesn't know squat. Can't even ask an intelligent question.

I don't think Shad Sullivan wants to change the system so much as he wants a bigger part of it. He doesn't get his fair share, and then he has to watch these processors buy foreign imported cattle that compete with him.

So it's not like he is promoting local grass-fed, grass-finished and direct from farm to consumer operations. He would probably just assume they go out of business and not compete with him as long as he can get a bigger piece of the pie in the current system, which of course also relies heavily on farm subsidies, especially for the feed which is basically corn and soy, our most subsidized crops, and mostly GMOs with heavy pesiticides and herbicides needed to satisfy the chemical companies like Bayer/Monsanto, Dow, etc.

tod evans
05-11-2020, 04:38 AM
Shad Sullivan? The guy you previously called "bubba" and complained that he was looking to government to fix what government caused?

Just because I called him Bubba and stated that he's crying for government to fix government doesn't mean he's incorrectly identified the problem..

I think he's going at the solution all wrong, same with the "Bubba" in the video I posted this morning....

More government won't ever fix too much government!

Kill the USDA, promote small local processors and let the city folk come up with their own local solutions. I don't want to support some government monstrosity that regulates and oversees NYC's beef markets, or LA's or, or, .............If the cities want to hire foreign companies to process their meat with foreign labor get the government out of the way. On the same note get government out of the way when counties or states refuse to permit foreign businesses or foreigners to conduct business within their borders, one size doesn't fit all.

If Montana wants to levy a 90% tax on all beef that leaves it's borders or is destined for Ca. then that should be it's prerogative, if auction houses want to charge foreign owned packing houses $500.00 per head then the federal government should never be permitted to interfere. If Billy-Bob wants to turn his old shed into a processing plant and market his production locally keep the feds out of his business.

Leave federal jurisdiction to the nations borders and let individual states supersede federal mandates to the extent it only affects their population. This could easily be accomplished by refusing to prosecute anyone from an adjoining state who takes umbrage and quashes the offending border states transgressor.

Fed-gov is the entire problem with the food distribution system, defund it, reign 'em in and only permit them to operate in a very narrow set of circumstances.

tod evans
05-11-2020, 04:39 AM
Whoops, here's this mornin's cattleman;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8QKKLvLXVU

tod evans
05-11-2020, 06:06 AM
And I'm not so sure this guy is that "small." More info: https://www.r-calfusa.com/shad-sullivan-region-v-director/

As he says in the video interview (I haven't watched it all yet), he is a "feeder" to the large CAFO (Confined Animal Feeding Operations) operations.

And they guy interviewing him doesn't know squat. Can't even ask an intelligent question.

I don't think Shad Sullivan wants to change the system so much as he wants a bigger part of it. He doesn't get his fair share, and then he has to watch these processors buy foreign imported cattle that compete with him.

So it's not like he is promoting local grass-fed, grass-finished and direct from farm to consumer operations. He would probably just assume they go out of business and not compete with him as long as he can get a bigger piece of the pie in the current system, which of course also relies heavily on farm subsidies, especially for the feed which is basically corn and soy, our most subsidized crops, and mostly GMOs with heavy pesiticides and herbicides needed to satisfy the chemical companies like Bayer/Monsanto, Dow, etc.

Regardless of his stake in the current system he still recognizes that the system is broken and correctly identifies some of the culprits.

As for your "grass fed" non GMO yada-yada yuppie beef, you can have it. Givin' my druthers you'd be able to approach the rancher and any farmer he buys feed from to satisfy your need for "pure" food...
In the end it appears we both want government out of the food business and that is a goal I can fully support.

My beef will be corn fed, has been since I was a kid, will be until they shovel dirt in on me. I don't mind my food being fed GMO's if it makes life easier for the farmer and rancher but I fully support your desire not to feed your food these products just so long as government is kept off the farm and out of the transactions..
I want my beef processed by people in my community not by some "packing house" owned by foreign investment firms that employs people I have no connection with. I could care less if there's some stamp from a government agency on my steak, knowing that the guy in the next pew hung and cut it is good enough for me. Fed-gov is involved in the beef industry to protect government and cities, the two most vile constructs of humanity. So even if we eat different types of beef the solution to our mutual problem is the same, getting government out of the food system.

Created4
05-11-2020, 06:35 AM
Just because I called him Bubba and stated that he's crying for government to fix government doesn't mean he's incorrectly identified the problem..

Really? So continuing the current system by allowing ranchers to get a fairer share is "correctly identifying the problem?"

If that's your position, you clearly do not understand the problem then. The problem is 4 companies control 80% of the country's USDA processing plants, and this guy doesn't want to do anything to fix that problem. He just wants more USDA inspectors and a bigger piece of the pie.

tod evans
05-11-2020, 06:44 AM
Really? So continuing the current system by allowing ranchers to get a fairer share is "correctly identifying the problem?"

If that's your position, you clearly do not understand the problem then. The problem is 4 companies control 80% of the country's USDA processing plants, and this guy doesn't want to do anything to fix that problem. He just wants more USDA inspectors and a bigger piece of the pie.

Read before you type.

I may not English well but you've missed the entire stadium not just the goal...

Have some coffee and read what I've written in it's entirety.

Created4
05-11-2020, 06:44 AM
As for your "grass fed" non GMO yada-yada yuppie beef, you can have it. Givin' my druthers you'd be able to approach the rancher and any farmer he buys feed from to satisfy your need for "pure" food...
In the end it appears we both want government out of the food business and that is a goal I can fully support.

My beef will be corn fed, has been since I was a kid, will be until they shovel dirt in on me. I don't mind my food being fed GMO's if it makes life easier for the farmer and rancher

Yeah, you clearly do NOT understand the problem. Going grassfed and managing pastures has a LOT more to do with than just "pure" food. Cheap GMO grains are only "cheap" because they are subsidized crops. And they support the big agrochemical industry that is not needed if farming was done the right way. If grains were grown in a truly free market, they would be far too expensive to use as feed at CAFO operations, or to be used to produce ethanol, etc.

Less than 1% of our population is involved in farming today, and if we started going back to a more traditional way of farming that has been done for thousands of years, without government intervention and central planning, we would have no shortage of jobs in this country, as farming would become profitable once again.

Under Jefferson, right after the republic was formed in the late 1700s, 90% of the population was farming. By the time of the Civil War under Lincoln, it was roughly half the country still farming.

One of the first things Shad Sullivan said in that interview is that he got into his business because he married into it, and that today, if you do not marry into or inherit the business, you weren't getting in.

He has NOT accurately identified the problem. That is a LandLord saying get government out of my operation so I can make more money, and no, we are not going to allow others into this commodity-based food distribution system.

tod evans
05-11-2020, 07:03 AM
Yeah, you clearly do NOT understand the problem. Going grassfed and managing pastures has a LOT more to do with than just "pure" food. Cheap GMO grains are only "cheap" because they are subsidized crops. And they support the big agrochemical industry that is not needed if farming was done the right way. If grains were grown in a truly free market, they would be far too expensive to use as feed at CAFO operations, or to be used to produce ethanol, etc.

Less than 1% of our population is involved in farming, and if started going back to a more traditional way of farming that has been done for thousands of years, without government intervention and central planning, we would have no shortage of jobs in this country, as farming would become profitable once again.

One of the first things Shad Sullivan said in that interview is that he got into his business because he married into it, and that today, if you do not marry into or inherit the business, you weren't getting in.

He has NOT accurately identified the problem. That is a LandLord saying get government out of my operation so I can make more money, and no, we are not going to allow others into this commodity-based food distribution system.

Incomplete quotes and hormone driven opinions are quite humorous...

Bubba did identify the 4 big packing houses, he even named them, he did identify foreign owners/investors and the government that permits them to operate...

The video I posted very clearly stated that Bubba's mother is the primary land owner for his cattle operation, maybe you're watching something else, or you're focusing too intently on his statement that getting into the beef industry is too expensive unless you inherit or marry into it, (he is set to inherit)

Every cattleman I know manages his pastures, he must or he'll fail....

Farmers growing GMO's are a whole 'nuther issue but as I said, I'm okay with feeding them to my food and I'm okay with you not wanting to also, it's not one or the other. Nowhere did I say I was okay with government subsidies! In fact I clearly stated, time and again, that I want government out of farming and ranching.

Untwist your panties, we're on the same side when it comes to shutting down government involvement in the food chain.

Have you ever raised cattle, hogs or sheep? Ever farmed row crops? I have and I speak from experience. And I still want government to get out of your way so you may farm any way you like and so you may support people who farm as you like...

Created4
05-11-2020, 07:48 AM
Have you ever raised cattle, hogs or sheep? Ever farmed row crops? I have and I speak from experience.

But your experience is apparently very limited to your area there in the Ozarks. And you clearly got caught here contradicting yourself, by criticizing "bubba" in one thread for wanting more government, then posting a different video of him and saying he is "spot on."

Yes, I have extensive experience in farming, both outside the U.S. (Philippines) and here in the U.S. also. I have not "lived on the farm" since leaving the Philippines, but I work with farmers all over the U.S. I sell beef from the Galloway breed, which originated in the Scottish highlands, much like Angus, but have never been cross-bred for fast growth on feed lots, as most Angus have. As a result, they can easily be raised and finished on grass in the northern climates where they do well (ours are raised by Amish in Wisconsin.) It is one the more purer strains of red meat, with possibly only bison being purer, as they have not even been domesticated let alone cross-bred for fast growth in feed lots.

I also work with farmers (grain producers) in Italy where there are still heirloom varieties of grains left that are not contaminated, unlike the U.S.

And I work with farmers in Central Mexico who still grow heirloom corn, in the birth place of "maize", and those heirloom varieties only still exist because GMOs are banned. GMO grains are patented, and once the cross over to open pollinated heirloom varieties, you have basically lost the DNA of that strain, and will have no idea what will grow the next season.

We've tried to find and grow corn in the U.S. that is not contaminated, and it is nearly impossible. We can get one harvest out of an heirloom variety, but by the next season it has cross-bred with the GMO corn grown everywhere.

None of that matters, ultimately, because it leads to either ad hominem attacks, or appeals to authority, both logical fallacies.

Anybody, whether farmer or not, can study and understand the issues if they want. Most Americans could care less about where their food comes from.

Ranchers like Shad and Steve are educating the public on the faults of the system, and that is fine, but they are still part of that system, which will fail again with any kind of pressure on the national food chain. What we are seeing now is nothing compared to what might happen in we go into a real war, where the power grid goes down, the communications system, the petrol industry that fuels our trucks to deliver all the food, etc.

The current system is designed to fuel wars. When we wanted to bring down the democratically elected Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt, for example, we did not send in troops. We simply raised the price of wheat because like many countries where wheat is their staple, they buy American-grown subsidized cheap wheat, because it cheaper than growing it themselves using more traditional, labor intensive methods that have been used for thousands of years. So when they could not afford American wheat anymore, food shortages started and the regime (with help from the CIA I am sure) was overthrown.

In the countries where we did invade, like Iraq, we appointed someone from the Big Ag industry to bring in our patented GMO seeds and replace the traditional heirloom varieties that were there before, forcing the people to become dependent on our subsidized crops.

It's a complicated subject, but these ranchers who are part of the system, while exposing some of the corruption and inequalities that for sure should be exposed, are still not completely identifying the problem.

Created4
05-11-2020, 08:16 AM
Farmers growing GMO's are a whole 'nuther issue but as I said, I'm okay with feeding them to my food and I'm okay with you not wanting to also, it's not one or the other.

I think there is more to this issue than maybe you realize. Try reading this if you are interested, as it deals with a study on the effects of glyphosate (sprayed on GMO crops) on bovine health. I hired a Harvard-trained biologist who is also a farmer to write it:

The Microbiota Crisis: How the Herbicide Glyphosate is Killing Microbiomes (https://healthimpactnews.com/2014/the-microbiota-crisis-how-the-herbicide-glyphosate-is-killing-microbiomes/)

tod evans
05-11-2020, 08:58 AM
But your experience is apparently very limited to your area there in the Ozarks. And you clearly got caught here contradicting yourself, by criticizing "bubba" in one thread for wanting more government, then posting a different video of him and saying he is "spot on."

The row crops I've farmed were in the panhandle of Ok. and in Kansas, my great uncle is a row-cropper, another family member has a fairly large hog operation in Northern Ill. and he row-crops a few sections to support that, another great aunt-n-uncle ran a dairy herd in Wi., I was raised with cattle, hogs and sheep, all here in the US.

Now I cut boards for a living.

So no my life experience isn't limited to the Ozarks but I am limited to the mid-west, no foreign experience what-so-ever......Not that that's a bad thing.

"Contradicting myself" for my opinion of Bubba? Not hardly in reality, pointing out how government and big ag are part of the problem IS good, Bubba did that.....Calling on big-gov to interfere on his behalf IS wrong, Bubba did that too. It really isn't a problem for me to agree with one position he takes and disagree with another...This isn't a contradiction in my opinion.

None of that matters, ultimately, because it leads to either ad hominem attacks, or appeals to authority, both logical fallacies.

I'd never call on government to interfere with you breeding different breeds of cattle or farming differently but it sounds like you'd call on government to "protect" smaller farms and their techniques from larger ones? Would you do that?

Ranchers like Shad and Steve are educating the public on the faults of the system, and that is fine, but they are still part of that system, which will fail again with any kind of pressure on the national food chain. What we are seeing now is nothing compared to what might happen in we go into a real war, where the power grid goes down, the communications system, the petrol industry that fuels our trucks to deliver all the food, etc.

That's pretty obvious to simple folks like me here in the Ozarks where it's impossible to ranch or row-crop due to the geography, I'd assume that the folks making their living "in the system" are aware of it too....Regardless the Ozarks is home to many a small farm, very little row-crops but lots of under 200 head beef, hog and sheep/goat operations, bottom land is gardened and sold to neighbors or through the farmers markets, kind of like some small countries with similar geography...........And.......We have mules! When/if the grid goes down there's nothing better for farming dirt than a Missouri mule, they'll go places tractors can't, they'll pull timber out of the forest and they run on grass and require minimal maintenance for 20+ years.

The good thing about living here is when/if the world goes to hell, the cities and the government can eat each other, we don't produce enough to keep them running for a week so it's not worth their time to invade and given the inhospitable terrain and inhospitable people any inroads they made would be short lived.

Created4
05-11-2020, 09:02 AM
I'd never call on government to interfere with you breeding different breeds of cattle or farming differently but it sounds like you'd call on government to "protect" smaller farms and their techniques from larger ones? Would you do that?

You obviously know nothing about me if you would ask a question like that....

tod evans
05-11-2020, 09:07 AM
I think there is more to this issue than maybe you realize. Try reading this if you are interested, as it deals with a study on the effects of glyphosate (sprayed on GMO crops) on bovine health. I hired a Harvard-trained biologist who is also a farmer to write it:

The Microbiota Crisis: How the Herbicide Glyphosate is Killing Microbiomes (https://healthimpactnews.com/2014/the-microbiota-crisis-how-the-herbicide-glyphosate-is-killing-microbiomes/)

From your link;

A team of German veterinarians and microbiologists from U. Leipzig, Saxony published a fascinating study detailing several experiments with ruminant gut diseases [4].

In short, they transferred samples of the rumen contents plus specific diets into warm reaction chambers where this “cud” was cultured for two days. They then analyzed what microbes remained after different treatments. They wanted to establish dosage cause-and-effect by adding glyphosate in ways we never could with human digestion. The rumen and its in vitro mechanical incubator “Daisy” would thus make possible the comparison of the world’s most critically adapted microbiome under the stress of an added herbicide. In a second series, they also added to some samples the microbe which produces the notorious toxin, “botox” or BoNT.

At risk of moving away from the beef discussion, did one of the sources listed actually tie botulism in the cows cud to adversely affected meat?

tod evans
05-11-2020, 09:09 AM
You obviously know nothing about me if you would ask a question like that....

How could I?

We type shit on the interwebs.

Would you call on government to intervene on your behalf?

I'll believe you one way or the other.

Created4
05-11-2020, 09:20 AM
How could I?

We type $#@! on the interwebs.

Would you call on government to intervene on your behalf?

I'll believe you one way or the other.

I have been pretty clear on what government actions I support since joining these forums back in 2007. They are government actions to REMOVE restrictions to a free market.

So like I posted recently, I support the PRIME Act as it will REMOVE government restrictions from selling meat processed at custom slaughter houses.

These are the government actions I would support:

Repeal the federal income tax
Abolish the Farm Bill and farm subsidies
Remove the ban on inter-state commerce of things like Raw Milk
Abolish the FDA and their monopoly on "medicines"

etc.

Is this on "my behalf?" Or is this to support getting government out of my life so I can continue participating in the economy without government restrictions that only support large corporations?

I don't need government to support me. I need them to get out of my way and those I do business with. And sadly, sometimes it takes legislation to undue some of those things.

tod evans
05-11-2020, 09:44 AM
I have been pretty clear on what government actions I support since joining these forums back in 2007. They are government actions to REMOVE restrictions to a free market.

So like I posted recently, I support the PRIME Act as it will REMOVE government restrictions from selling meat processed at custom slaughter houses.

These are the government actions I would support:

Repeal the federal income tax
Abolish the Farm Bill and farm subsidies
Remove the ban on inter-state commerce of things like Raw Milk
Abolish the FDA and their monopoly on "medicines"

etc.

Is this on "my behalf?" Or is this to support getting government out of my life so I can continue participating in the economy without government restrictions that only support large corporations?

I don't need government to support me. I need them to get out of my way and those I do business with. And sadly, sometimes it takes legislation to undue some of those things.

This all seems like asking government, the entrenched, to relinquish their hold on certain areas you agree with..

That's all well and good until government changes it's mind.

Personally I would like to see fed-gov stripped of it's power to regulate commerce within the borders of the US..

Furthermore I'd like to see them stripped of the power to regulate states via funding or by other coercion.

There is no group of suits capable of representing "the people", what they can do, and what they were originally authorized to do, is control borders and regulate inter-national commerce.

All of their other one size fits all legislation is going to piss off one group of people or another, leave that to the states, even better to individual counties...

Don't want GMO genetics in your fields, cool get your state or county on board, want to market feeder cattle to NY, cool get your state or county on board (and possibly the states you'd travel through)..

But by all means keep fed-gov out of all transactions and all disputes. They're really not needed especially given the cost.

Created4
05-11-2020, 10:07 AM
This all seems like asking government, the entrenched, to relinquish their hold on certain areas you agree with..

Everything in the list of examples I gave had to do with the federal government.

Personally I would like to see fed-gov stripped of it's power to regulate commerce within the borders of the US..

That was one of my examples.

So do you just like arguing for the sake of argument?

tod evans
05-11-2020, 10:26 AM
Everything in the list of examples I gave had to do with the federal government.

That was one of my examples.

So do you just like arguing for the sake of argument?

I didn't realize that clarifying ones position, or asking for clarification on an issue is considered arguing..

I'll go back to spraying lacquer as soon as I munch my corn-fed beef burrito...

devil21
05-11-2020, 10:42 AM
Red Donnie promised that China would buy billions of dollars worth of agri products as part of his "deal". What he meant is that domestic meat production (and other agri and energy/oil products also) will be concentrated under a few mega-corps and shipped abroad to feed the 2.5b+ in China and India while Americans get comfy eating estrogen-loaded soy burgers and ride around in electric cars with distance limiters. China sends back our own dollars they've amassed over the last ~20 Walmart years.

(and then the crowds cheered for how slick of a deal-maker he is. hooray! now pass the cricket powder for my breakfast smoothie.)

There's not much we can do to stop it so I just see these articles and interviews as a signal to be more self-sufficient and stock up on any meat products (particularly canned, though many aren't terribly healthy with all the salt in them) while it's still possible.

tod evans
05-11-2020, 11:08 AM
This clip from Tn. talks about the issue but gets the solution wrong...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlrb7p5r7OY

Get out of the cities.

devil21
05-11-2020, 01:44 PM
About two hours after my post above, ZH put out a post about exactly it.

https://www.zerohedge.com/economics/meat-exports-china-soar-us-supplies-dwindle-workers-risk-coronavirus-infection