PDA

View Full Version : Newspaper ad with blimp!

LFOD
12-15-2007, 01:41 PM
EDIT: Final version posted at end of thread. Thanks!

Hey all! My brother and I are buying an ad in our local newspaper this week. Circulation 47,000 (free+paid) in eastern Wisconsin. Here's the ad we worked up, using that great photo from the launch. The image is actually a composite of two photos, as the blimp was a bit small in the original.

There are some rough spots, because this is just a Publisher mock up. The final will use the highest quality graphics and be done in InDesign. The "paid for" and "not approved" disclaimer will go in the bottom black bar.

Comments appreciated!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2341/2113504050_aa27741be2_b.jpg

Hancock1776
12-15-2007, 01:44 PM
I like this ad! Good job.

DeadtoSin
12-15-2007, 01:47 PM
Amazing work..

hawks4ronpaul
12-15-2007, 01:49 PM
Hello. It looks good and brevity is good but never end negative so add a positive quote at the end in the picture area.

http://hawks4ronpaul.blogspot.com/

Tina
12-15-2007, 01:50 PM
I think It's great, the only thing to me is the blimp seems just a bit too close. Anyone know who the supporter with flag and horse is?

Doriath
12-15-2007, 01:59 PM
Nice ad. I love that photo composite.

daniel_nc
12-15-2007, 01:59 PM
The supporter is Catherine Hunter. Mentioned in the local paper here.

http://www.dailyadvance.com/local/content/news/stories/2007/12/14/1215ronbauljh.html

--madwurm

LFOD
12-15-2007, 02:00 PM
I think It's great, the only thing to me is the blimp seems just a bit too close. Anyone know who the supporter with flag and horse is?

I would be happy to add the woman's name into the caption, if she approves. Someone already dubbed her "Lady Liberty" :D If anyone can find out the name and contact info, that would be great.

edit: I see we have the name, great. I'll do a little digging and she if she wants her name up there.

Tina
12-15-2007, 02:17 PM

http://www.dailyadvance.com/local/content/news/stories/2007/12/14/1215ronbauljh.html

--madwurm

Thanks so much. I enjoyed the article.

Tina
12-15-2007, 02:22 PM

--madwurm

Thanks so much. I enjoyed the article.

LFOD
12-15-2007, 02:47 PM
Fascinating and inspiring story about our "Lady Liberty" - Catherine Hunter, here. In 2004 she sold everything and rode her horse "Count of War" 900 miles from SC to ground zero.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A54901-2004Jun19.html

JohnnyWrath
12-15-2007, 02:55 PM
OK, that is freakin' awesome !! Nice photo edit...that photo should be on the blimp site...very cool.

JohnnyWrath
12-15-2007, 02:58 PM
I would be happy to add the woman's name into the caption

LOL, it's a dude isn't it...just has long hair????? Can't see a face at all...I just assumed it was some guy with long hair....LOL

antiwardoc
12-15-2007, 03:24 PM
It is freedom that is the source of all creative energy.
<<sounds a bit new age yoga- guru-like>>

If I am to be your President <<should be capitalized, I think>>, these are the goals I would seek.
<<what goals? something left out here>>

I reject the notion that we need a President to run our lives, plan the economy, or police the world.
<<confusing double-negative>>

- Dr. Ron Paul
<<would leave out the "Dr." in the signature>>

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What to use instead? Dunno - Ron Paul has made a lot of nice statements.
These aren't bad, but you could find some that are better, IMO.

I'd also photoshop out the fuzzy curls along the horseback riders back. I don't think that the long-hair hippie image is a popular sell these days.
In fact, I saw a video of the launch, and the person banging on the bongos throughout the launch really ruined it for me.

Mckarnin
12-15-2007, 03:42 PM
I would be happy to add the woman's name into the caption, if she approves. Someone already dubbed her "Lady Liberty" :D If anyone can find out the name and contact info, that would be great.

edit: I see we have the name, great. I'll do a little digging and she if she wants her name up there.

I think she calls herself "freedom rider".

Leslie Webb
12-15-2007, 03:51 PM
Great ad, run it like it is.

Proemio
12-15-2007, 04:16 PM
Aside from a couple of minor layout issues that would make it even snappier (well. you asked)...

It's a beautiful ad - don't mess with it - just do it...

dvictr
12-15-2007, 04:49 PM
the obgyn looks out of place

Ball
12-16-2007, 12:17 AM

I agree.

Also, you could be more specific than "Paid Political Advertisement" since we're proud to sponsor this stuff. Perhaps something like "Paid for by Individual Grassroots Supporters of Ron Paul" or something to that effect.

Knightskye
12-16-2007, 12:44 AM
Hey all! My brother and I are buying an ad in our local newspaper this week. Circulation 47,000 (free+paid) in eastern Wisconsin. Here's the ad we worked up, using that great photo from the launch. The image is actually a composite of two photos, as the blimp was a bit small in the original.

There are some rough spots, because this is just a Publisher mock up. The final will use the highest quality graphics and be done in InDesign. The "paid for" and "not approved" disclaimer will go in the bottom black bar.

Comments appreciated!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2341/2113504050_aa27741be2_b.jpg

There's a little smudge on the n in 'Ron Paul' on the blimp in the picture. O_O - that was a lot of on's and in's, sorry. :P

Ten-term U.S. Congressman

And I'd put "OB/GYN" before Ten-term U.S. Congressman, since it's explaining what he's a doctor of (and I think it works better earlier).
What sounds better - OB/GYN or Obstetrician (if I spelt it right)?

Picture of Ron Paul in the bottom-left corner and quote (The only anti-war...) in the bottom-right corner should be bigger, if possible.

wisconsinite
12-16-2007, 02:19 AM
"Ten-term" needs a hyphen.

OB/GYN looks out of place. I would maybe add "US Air Force Veteran" to balance it out.

rs3515
12-16-2007, 02:25 AM
I agree.

I think it would be better if it said "Congressman, Doctor, Veteran" underneath it.

SophisticatedFarmGirl
12-16-2007, 02:25 AM
Great job. You and your bro are awesome.

The Freedom Rider is awesome, too.

LibertyRevolution
12-16-2007, 02:40 AM
photochop that that "n" in ron .. it looks horible. why didnt they buy a bigger banner so that valve would have been in the white part in the middle the N.

USAHotair
12-16-2007, 05:18 AM
Because the Skyship 600 is a type-certified aircraft and as such the banner attachment points on the envelope cannot be modified from the type design without a tremendous investment of time and money, as well as FAA involvement. They want to see compliancy proven for everything before issuing an approval to modify the original manufacturer's drawings. As the guy who designed the banners and did much of the labor in assembling them, it was my duty to make the artwork as large and readable as possible. The helium vent is an unavoidable area. I will be sending AMS some vinyl to cover up the missing part of the N and the tiny portion of the black lower-case A on the REVOLution side. That's the best that can be done without a full decal job, which, admittedly would be far superior, but is hardly ever considered without a multi-month lease as minimum.

Lucid American
12-16-2007, 09:18 AM
I think it would be better if it said "Congressman, Doctor, Veteran" underneath it.

Definitely! Great improvement over OB/GYN -- that looks out of place.

Great ad, but us the "Congressman, Doctor, Veteran".

Tarzan
12-16-2007, 10:52 AM
Because the Skyship 600 is a type-certified aircraft and as such the banner attachment points on the envelope cannot be modified from the type design without a tremendous investment of time and money, as well as FAA involvement. They want to see compliancy proven for everything before issuing an approval to modify the original manufacturer's drawings. As the guy who designed the banners and did much of the labor in assembling them, it was my duty to make the artwork as large and readable as possible. The helium vent is an unavoidable area. I will be sending AMS some vinyl to cover up the missing part of the N and the tiny portion of the black lower-case A on the REVOLution side. That's the best that can be done without a full decal job, which, admittedly would be far superior, but is hardly ever considered without a multi-month lease as minimum.

Thanks USAHotair... your efforts were way above the call of duty. Trying to drive the second banner out of the blizzard and putting yourself in harms way... real courage and commitment... OUTSTANDING!!!

Lucid American
12-16-2007, 10:56 AM
Thanks USAHotair... your efforts were way above the call of duty. Trying to drive the second banner out of the blizzard and putting yourself in harms way... real courage and commitment... OUTSTANDING!!!

ABSOLUTELY! I think this is a phenomenal effort even without this, but these guys have reall busted ass.

Thanks to all who headed this up and who contributed.

RickNHouston
12-16-2007, 11:31 AM
Hello. It looks good and brevity is good but never end negative so add a positive quote at the end in the picture area.

I like it the way it is... fwiw!

ignoranceisntbliss
12-16-2007, 12:29 PM
Sweet, but you have to add a line at the bottom about it NOT being paid for or authorized by the RP Campaign. See how they worded it with the USAToday add.

slantedview
12-16-2007, 12:35 PM
brilliant ad.

voiceactivated
12-16-2007, 12:50 PM
I suggest you mention his military career. Why not insert "served as Flight Surgeon in U.S. Air Force" right above OB/GYN?

annyab
12-16-2007, 12:56 PM
I like this ad! Good job.

that

torchbearer
12-16-2007, 12:59 PM

+2

Meatwasp
12-16-2007, 01:08 PM
Here I thought the flag bearer was a man. Like the liberty man with long hair.
I really like it but like torchbearer the obgyn looks out of place.

hawks4ronpaul
12-16-2007, 02:37 PM
I like it the way it is... fwiw!

I like it too but the ad is not intended for me. Thinking of the average non-Paul-supporting reader, the money and ad will be much more effective at converting more people if the ad sticks a short, simple "for" statement (even "I am the champion of the Constitution") in that biggest sentence font size under the reader's nose (we cannot guarantee that people will read everything).

There is a video of someone stating that Paul is anti-tax, etc. and Paul asks why they don't say that he is pro-liberty, etc. (basic public relations rule of thumb).

Carole
12-16-2007, 03:24 PM
The perfect positive endin g remark would be:

"I want to restore Liverty"

Great ad.

Carole
12-16-2007, 03:25 PM
OOps! :D

The perfect positive ending remark would be:

"I want to restore Liberty"

Great ad.

daniel_nc
12-16-2007, 07:52 PM
The lady in the photograph actually goes by "Peace Rider". It was written on her saddle bag.

Another pic of her.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21836324@N02/2116046375/in/set-72157603458016531/

Drknows
12-16-2007, 08:17 PM
I have a feeling that pic will be in the history books.

LFOD
12-16-2007, 08:51 PM
Many thanks to everyone for the comments and suggestions! We made some changes, fairly minor as the feedback seemed mostly quite positive. Adding "Air Force Veteran" was a good idea, and making OB/GYN blend better. Moved the position of the bio info, and changed "the only anti-war.. etc" element to list his actual voting record over 16 years, which represents what he actually DID that was anti-war and small-government.

I'm about ready to call it a wrap, unless there's serious objections. I have to have this finished tonight for production tomorrow.

An InDesign archive will be made available for anyone who wants to use it however you'd like, and I'm going to do a quick color version which I'll also post here tonight.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2221/2116916764_906e28142b_b.jpg

torchbearer
12-16-2007, 09:03 PM
:) good.

LFOD
12-16-2007, 09:26 PM
Quick color version, just for fun. Not for production at this point.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2108/2116263799_eb8f216ffa_b.jpg

ValidusCustodiae
12-17-2007, 05:00 AM
Thank you, as a lifelong resident of Dare County it was great to read this article. And they quoted Frieda! :)