PDA

View Full Version : Romney Q2: $14 mill

Original_Intent
07-03-2007, 06:25 PM
Just as I expected, the disappointing numbers are being released early.

This is particularly low because he donated 6.5 million himself. So fundraising is going pretty poorly for ol' Mitt. :D

Also note that Romney has 12 million cash on hand, but when you yank his 6.5 million loan that is a pretty feeble (for a front runner) 5.5 million

from MSNBC.com.....

From NBC's Mark Murray

On the surface, it appears that Giuliani outraised Romney in the second quarter, when you subtract the $6.5 million loan Romney gave his campaign. In a press release, the Giuliani camp has just reported raising more than $17 million (versus Romney's $14 million in primary funds), and it announced it has $18 million cash on hand (versus Romney's $12 million).

However, Team Rudy's press release doesn't indicate how much of his haul is primary vs. general money. And until we find that out, we won't know the REAL GOP winner of the second quarter (because general election money doesn't matter unless you win the nomination).

So far, our second quarter scorecard for the GOP is:
-- Giuliani over $17 million (but unclear primary vs. general split)
-- Romney $14 million (but with $6.5 million loan from Romney himself)
-- McCain $11.2 million

Roxi
07-03-2007, 06:26 PM
just curious do you have any sources backing up him donating 6 mill himself

Wyurm
07-03-2007, 06:32 PM
all I could find was this: http://www.iowavotes2008.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1257&Itemid=37

and a report about having to donate 6.3 mil to his campaign to win governor, but no mention about how much hes donating for this quarter.

Original_Intent
07-03-2007, 06:34 PM

It was just on the TV news - one thing I actually trust them on. (To easy to disprove if false)

atilla
07-03-2007, 06:36 PM
i saw it on the msnbc trailer this afternoon

quickmike
07-03-2007, 06:40 PM
from what I understood on cnn was that he raised 14 million and also added another 6 million of his own money. Sucks for him because hes going down in the polls. If you have to donate your own money to a campaign just to keep it going, its obvious that the people arent feeling his message. Ron Paul lets the market work for itself. If the money is there, he will continue, if its not there, he is smart enough to understand that its because the people dont support the message. Romney doesnt understand this. He thinks he can buy his way to the whitehouse.

Dollars raised isnt the main gauge of a candidates popularity, number of donations is the real thing. Id rather have 50,000 people donate 10 dollars than 25,000 people donate 20.

akalucas
07-03-2007, 06:41 PM
they've been repeating on the news today about the fact that he took out a loan of 6 million all day long. Seems they like embarrasing him on this issue, which is fine by me. 14 mil minus 6 mil puts him at raising only 8 mil for for 2Q. If he doesnt raise enough for 3Q he is toast since he prob. wont be able to take another huge loan like that.

LibertyEagle
07-03-2007, 06:44 PM
"Former Gov. Mitt Romney of Massachusetts, who led the Republican field in money raised in the first three months of the year, said donations to his primary campaign had dropped by a third in the second quarter, to $14 million from $21 million. Mr. Romney said he had lent his campaign another $6.5 million out of his personal fortune to soften the impact of the decline in donations."

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/03/us/politics/03cnd-repubs.html?ei=5090&en=ca5d5de28b9ba038&ex=1341115200&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&pagewanted=print

Original_Intent
07-03-2007, 06:45 PM
6.5 million. that leaves only actually raising 7.5 million. (half a million is hardly a nitpick )

Original_Intent
07-03-2007, 06:47 PM
"Former Gov. Mitt Romney of Massachusetts, who led the Republican field in money raised in the first three months of the year, said donations to his primary campaign had dropped by a third in the second quarter, to $14 million from $21 million. Mr. Romney said he had lent his campaign another $6.5 million out of his personal fortune to soften the impact of the decline in donations."

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/03/us/politics/03cnd-repubs.html?ei=5090&en=ca5d5de28b9ba038&ex=1341115200&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&pagewanted=print

Ah maybe I misinterpreted. If he actually raised 14 mill then that sucks :(

LibertyEagle
07-03-2007, 06:50 PM
It's hard to tell. Does the $14 million include his 6.5 million, or does it not?

quickmike
07-03-2007, 06:52 PM
Ah maybe I misinterpreted. If he actually raised 14 mill then that sucks :(

No, it doesnt suck. Some of you guys are looking at this in a completely wrong way. If he SUPPOSEDLY had more support his donations would be going up too. More people know about him now than when his first quarter numbers were out. Its about momentum, and which way the numbers are going. Falling donations means falling support. Doesnt really matter what the number is. Do you mean to tell me that with his 1st quarter donations of 21 million and all the adds hes bought, he couldnt raise double that if the support was there? The answer is obvious. His support is going down, and thats a good thing:D

DjLoTi
07-03-2007, 06:52 PM
his 14 mil are legit, but when you subtract his 6.5 loan, he's only got 7.5 COH right off the bat

Original_Intent
07-03-2007, 06:55 PM
No, it doesnt suck. Some of you guys are looking at this in a completely wrong way. If he SUPPOSEDLY had more support his donations would be going up too. More people know about him now than when his first quarter numbers were out. Its about momentum, and which way the numbers are going. Falling donations means falling support. Doesnt really matter what the number is. Do you mean to tell me that with his 1st quarter donations of 21 million and all the adds hes bought, he couldnt raise double that if the support was there? The answer is obvious. His support is going down, and thats a good thing:D

Good point! It appears that Romney did raise $14 mill and then kicked in $6.5 mill of his own.

LibertyEagle
07-03-2007, 06:57 PM
What I want to know is what is with so many people supporting a bunch of rich elites to run our country?

quickmike
07-03-2007, 07:06 PM
What I want to know is what is with so many people supporting a bunch of rich elites to run our country?

Its not PEOPLE supporting him, its his friends in big business and law firms. There are many ways to fenegel the bagel when it comes to donations. One of them is owning a large corporation and giving each of your employees a $3000 bonus, with the understanding that $2300 dollars of that will go to supporting a political campaign and the employee gets $700 of that just for allowing his/her name to be used as the donating entity. Not a bad days pay....... $700 dollars for using your name?

None of this translates into real votes because that same person that took the bonus can go out on election day and vote for who they want anyway. Dont let the numbers fool ya. Its just a bunch of peacocks strutting in front of you. The real votes will be what counts, not some dishonest yet legal way to get funds.

Bradley in DC
07-03-2007, 07:07 PM
his 14 mil are legit, but when you subtract his 6.5 loan, he's only got 7.5 COH right off the bat

No DJ, Republican presidential candidate Rudy Giuliani beat his rivals by raising $17 million for his campaign during the last three months. Mitt Romney raised $14 million and loaned his campaign another $6.5 million. (http://news.yahoo.com/s/bloomberg/20070703/pl_bloomberg/aosytd4xhjsq_1)

Roxi
07-03-2007, 07:09 PM
oh ok i was just wondering...ive been at work all day and im just now catching up

njandrewg
07-03-2007, 07:11 PM
the reason all these "Front runners" are falling is because in Q1 their supporters gave them big bucks(the max $2300), RP on the other hand his supporters gave him $100

so in Q2 we can give him even more money while the top guys are out of cash

Wyurm
07-03-2007, 07:18 PM
the reason all these "Front runners" are falling is because in Q1 their supporters gave them big bucks(the max $2300), RP on the other hand his supporters gave him $100

so in Q2 we can give him even more money while the top guys are out of cash

not only that, but they started ad campaigns already and spending money right and left. Ron Paul is different in that hes got us. We aren't just supporters, we are alot more like volunteers.

DjLoTi
07-03-2007, 07:22 PM
No DJ, Republican presidential candidate Rudy Giuliani beat his rivals by raising $17 million for his campaign during the last three months. Mitt Romney raised $14 million and loaned his campaign another $6.5 million. (http://news.yahoo.com/s/bloomberg/20070703/pl_bloomberg/aosytd4xhjsq_1)

Gotcha ;)

markpa
07-03-2007, 07:34 PM
I think the fact that the Dems are raising so much more then the Republicans shows that the candidates the old media have been trying to force down the publics throat are a joke. Dr. Paul is the only candidate that has a different stand on the major issues. Everyone else just looks like another Bush and no one wants that.