PDA

View Full Version : "Problems" for Tomorrow

gb13
12-15-2007, 10:12 AM
I want to suggest that everyone keep the toll-free number to donate handy for the Tea Party in case the website has any "problems".

Pass it on to your peeps: 1-877-RON-PAUL

graystar
12-15-2007, 10:41 AM
Stand by for a mysterious DOS attack....would be a PTB tactic.

1913_to_2008
12-15-2007, 10:53 AM
Should we also try to stay off of the official site as much as possible so we don't clog it up?

I know it's nice to sit and watch but, maybe we could all just check every few hours or so, or maybe put the donation meter on this site?

Geronimo
12-15-2007, 10:57 AM
Should we also try to stay off of the official site as much as possible so we don't clog it up?

I know it's nice to sit and watch but, maybe we could all just check every few hours or so, or maybe put the donation meter on this site?

Staying off the site is a good idea.

The counter can be seen here http://www.ronpaulforums.com/

hummtide
12-15-2007, 11:03 AM
bump

manny
12-15-2007, 11:21 AM

+1

We can always follow it through the graphs site or whatever. I hope tomorrow a bunch of people new to RP will be checking out his site so let's not overload it.

(I know nothing about technology so someone who understands interwebs do say if I'm talking rubbish and the official site can take as many visitors as we might get ...??)

boondoggle
12-15-2007, 11:30 AM
blimp

gb13
12-15-2007, 11:32 AM
+1

We can always follow it through the graphs site or whatever. I hope tomorrow a bunch of people new to RP will be checking out his site so let's not overload it.

(I know nothing about technology so someone who understands interwebs do say if I'm talking rubbish and the official site can take as many visitors as we might get ...??)

What I know is this: on November 5th RonPaulGraphs.com was having bandwidth problems and was asking visitors to only refresh their browser every 10 minutes.

ThisNovember5th.com had only 18,000 subscribers and brought in over 36,000 donations.

TeaParty07.com has over 31,000 subscribers! Applying the same formula, it would be reasonable to expect over 60,000 donations (in 24 hours)!

We should definitely be concerned about exceeding the allowable bandwidth for both sites. I'm sure there is preparation for this potential problem, but we should all do our part not to exacerbate it.

gb13
12-15-2007, 12:03 PM
Also, it may be great to have a ton of donations being given by phone, that way the MSM can't try to take a shot at RP's record breaking by calling it another "online success" that hasn't yet transfered to the "real world".

I think I may give my donation by phone, regardless.

1-877-RON-PAUL to donate by phone.

constitutional
12-15-2007, 12:06 PM
I hope they have their web site planned out well, I mean well.

One screw up and it could cost us millions.

Revolutn
12-15-2007, 12:10 PM
I hope they have their web site planned out well, I mean well.

One screw up and it could cost us millions.

It weathered the 5th just fine, and they are expecting something bigger this time, so unless some outside influence tries to deliberately undermine it's operation, the web site should be just fine.

I will stay off of it except for the actual donation submission however and watch the total climb on the graphs or like here sites that have embedded the money meter to not add burden to the official site unnecessarily.

Rev

tsetsefly
12-15-2007, 12:11 PM
how can you prevent a dos attack?

gb13
12-15-2007, 12:12 PM

This, I do not know.

Anyone?

steph3n
12-15-2007, 12:13 PM
This, I do not know.

Anyone?

large capacity, distributed systems, and good hardware for mitigation along with a proactive team of people.

constitutional
12-15-2007, 12:14 PM

You can't but what you can do is have a secured server to prevent DOS attacks from becoming successful and also have a back up site on another server in case one server goes down.

tsetsefly
12-15-2007, 12:15 PM
You can't but what you can do is have a secured server to prevent DOS attacks from becoming successful and also have a back up site on another server in case one goes down.

anyone know if HQ has this?

steph3n
12-15-2007, 12:16 PM
You can't but what you can do is have a secured server to prevent DOS attacks from becoming successful and also have a back up site on another server in case one server goes down.

DOS has NOTHING to do with secured server, just FYI. DoS and DDoS are capacity issues not security.

Kacela
12-15-2007, 12:17 PM
DDOS and DOS attacks can be managed effectively depending on the firewall in use. That type of traffic can be recognized quickly and either given a very low priority in terms of traffic shaping, or outright denied.

Back on topic: Don't forget about the other graphing site to monitor things from - it came in handy on Nov. 5th: http://paulcash.slact.net

steph3n

DoS is not a security issue, but a capacity issue.

constitutional

I'm pretty sure they have this nailed down. It would be stupid not to.

It's just that I remember the web site had power outage and it was down for hours about month ago. I hope they learned their lesson.

steph3n
12-15-2007, 12:18 PM
DDOS and DOS attacks can be managed effectively depending on the firewall in use. That type of traffic can be recognized quickly and either given a very low priority in terms of traffic shaping, or outright denied.

Back on topic: Don't forget about the other graphing site to monitor things from - it came in handy on Nov. 5th: http://paulcash.slact.net

if in a sustained pattern it is true. The whole moneybomb effort in itself can look like a DoS at times to some automated systems so I believe there will need to be some human management of it if someone keeps refreshing to see the latest figures it can be looking like an automated DOS

constitutional
12-15-2007, 12:19 PM
DOS has NOTHING to do with secured server, just FYI. DoS and DDoS are capacity issues not security.
:p My bad, just trying to simplify it for non-technical users here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of-service_attack

j0ew00ds
12-15-2007, 12:20 PM
There are other threads about this on the forum.
1. There is a way to stop the effectiveness of DOS attacks. As mentioned above, a proactive tech team will be watching for that.
2. HQ is aware of the upcoming flood of traffic and took action
3. Visiting the page unnecessarily DOES have an effect on its response time
4. Even the graphs shown elsewhere are hosted on the official servers so, while helping reduce the load, they do affect them

Quantumystic
12-15-2007, 12:23 PM
There's also a Ron Paul Counter feed at PrisonPlanet.com

You may not like Alex Jones, but at least you'll be able to see the count and not have to worry about crashing The Doctor's site.

Myerz
12-15-2007, 12:29 PM
I hope the campaign is prepared for all the "offline" donations. I agree to not clog up the net, but there needs to the infrastructure to handle all the calls...are we "they" ready?

steph3n
12-15-2007, 12:29 PM
I hope the campaign is prepared for all the "offline" donations. I agree to not clog up the net, but there needs to the infrastructure to handle all the calls...are we "they" ready?

They said they will have it open in another thread

dirka
12-15-2007, 12:35 PM
Do offline donations get tallied up "real time" with the internet ones, or are we going to have to wait a week for them to figure it all out?

EvilNight
12-15-2007, 12:38 PM
It's unlikely any botnet operator will attack a single point like this. It would expose the IP addresses of most of his infected systems and attract a great deal of attention, allowing the admins of the ISP to profile the botnet. This isn't just spam - any attack on a political campaign like this will be investigated fully by hackers and by law enforcement (the hackers are unstoppable, and there are a lot of Ron Paul fans in that community). They already tracked the spammer who sent out those mass emails about Ron Paul a few months ago. Attacking RP's campaign site also risks drawing the wrath of Anonymous. Nobody wants to be on the receiving end of that ass-kicking.

Botnets make a lot of money for their admins on the black market. It's unlikely someone would risk such a prized possession unless they were being paid a hell of a lot of money - and that can be traced as well.

Most would be overseas anyway, so having the ISP block non-USA IP addresses at their internet backbone would take most of the load off and barely interfere with the donations that day. Overseas Americans can always call over the phone and donate if that happens.

Oh, and as someone mentioned...

If this moneybomb goes off as planned, you are CREATING a DDoS attack aimed at those servers to donate money anyway. Combined with repeated page views and whatnot by interested parties, well... those servers had better be badass - if they can survive the donations, they can probably handle interference from most botnets anyway. Relax guys, it'll be fun. ;)

atilla
12-15-2007, 12:40 PM
Stand by for a mysterious DOS attack....would be a PTB tactic.

no way. All your internets are belong to us.

;)