PDA

View Full Version : What About Michigan?

rational thinker
12-15-2007, 02:34 AM
I know that I've stated this before but are we forgetting about Michigan? I mean I don't see any chip ins being made for the state. I know our first priorities are Iowa and New Hampshire as they come first, but Michigan is only a week after New Hampshire and Ron Paul could easily win it with some television commercials over here, preferably the ones by Jeremiah Black. ;) But seriously, I feel like everyone is ignoring this state. Why is that?

rational thinker
12-15-2007, 02:37 AM
Bump

Jobarra
12-15-2007, 02:50 AM
Michigan is one of the 'perfect storm' moments. I'm sure the campaign isn't going to neglect it with so many Democrats probably steamed at their party.

rational thinker
12-15-2007, 03:04 AM
Michigan is one of the 'perfect storm' moments. I'm sure the campaign isn't going to neglect it with so many Democrats probably steamed at their party.

Sure, but the thing is right now Michigan barely has any Ron Paul supporters. I mean the other day I drove for about 40 miles and did not see one Ron Paul sign on anyone's lawn, but did encounter some Mitt Romney signs (his dad, after all, was governor of Michigan). I'm a little worried that we might lose such an important state, especially so early. I'm mean it'd be great if he wins New Hampshire, South Carolina, Nevada, and Wyoming, but adding Michigan to that list would be the icing on the cake.

xerigen
12-15-2007, 03:07 AM
Sure, but the thing is right now Michigan barely has any Ron Paul supporters. I mean the other day I drove for about 40 miles and did not see one Ron Paul sign on anyone's lawn, but did encounter some Mitt Romney signs (his dad, after all, was governor of Michigan). I'm a little worried that we might lose such an important state, especially so early. I'm mean it'd be great if he wins New Hampshire, South Carolina, Nevada, and Wyoming, but adding Michigan to that list would be the icing on the cake.

I've seen quite a few Ron Paul signs, especially in Ann Arbor. I think he has a lot of support, and can gain a lot more from UAW and truck drivers (anti NAFTA) and for the fact that Michigan democrat delegates have been supposedly stripped. It's an open primary, get your democrat friends to vote for Ron Paul.

damon04
12-15-2007, 03:07 AM
Thing is we must gain footing first.. A good foundation for the rest of the campaign... Winning in the first 2 are way more important for the sake of making a statement to the rest of the country... We're saying, yes, it's ok to vote on this "dark horse" candidate because he has a better shot than the measly 4-8% on all the news channel polls...

JosephTheLibertarian
12-15-2007, 03:22 AM
I've seen quite a few Ron Paul signs, especially in Ann Arbor. I think he has a lot of support, and can gain a lot more from UAW and truck drivers (anti NAFTA) and for the fact that Michigan democrat delegates have been supposedly stripped. It's an open primary, get your democrat friends to vote for Ron Paul.

Maybe you should contact the campaign with this knowledge

Antonius Stone
12-15-2007, 03:29 AM

omg - open primary should spell victory for Ron Paul. How could the anti-war democrats not turnout and vote for him?

Paulitician
12-15-2007, 04:02 AM
omg - open primary should spell victory for Ron Paul. How could the anti-war democrats not turnout and vote for him?
They don't know about him?

RP still has low name rec and I think it would be beneficial to make stops there.

Jobarra
12-15-2007, 04:03 AM
Exactly. And there's nothing really that the other GOP candidates can do about it because there is no chance the Dems will support their candidates. By shunning Ron Paul so much they make him a natural pick for Dems that want to affect the primaries.

JohnCrabtree
12-15-2007, 07:53 AM
If the official campaign paid some attention to michigan it would be great, even just a couple of stops and some TV commercials.

McCain Won Michigan with 55% of the vote in the 2000 Primary.
Romney's Dad was Governor, we have some serious competition.

No one is campaigning here. McCain made 1 stop in my area and my group passed out RP literature to all who attended his speech. With just a little bit of effort, Paul could take Michigan. He's the only one with signs up in SW michigan.

And groups from Northern Indiana are helping out significantly with door to door efforts in Niles and Berien Springs. Thier primary is not until May.

disciple
12-15-2007, 07:58 AM
We need to get those TV ads in Michigan. I'll be donating after the Tea Party for that purpose.

bobmurph
12-15-2007, 08:03 AM

I called my Mom last night to let her know that Ron Paul was going to be on Mad Money (she worships Jim Cramer). She told me she saw a group of sign waivers on Woodward Ave on her way home from work. I've also had friends text me everytime they see overpass signs...which was alot around Nov 5th.

Regardless, the official campaign needs to make a serious push at this state. Place in Iowa, win in NH, place in SC, win in MI...that is the kind of start we need to the primary race!

pcosmar
12-15-2007, 08:25 AM
The only TV ads I've seen were Romneys.
I am in the UP, there are only a few of us that are "active" supporters but many I have spoken to like Ron Paul and say they will vote for him.
My Mom likes him but keeps asking why she doesn't see anything on TV.
Some radio and TV ads up here would go a long way.

walt
12-15-2007, 08:44 AM
blimp

Badger Paul
12-15-2007, 08:56 AM
Campaign is starting to run radio ads now

Kacela
12-15-2007, 09:25 AM
And don't forget what Hamadeh here on RonPaulForums.com has organized: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=47430 and http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=42251

I believe the Arab community in Michigan will be HUGE for Ron Paul - that's why I donated to his chip-in :)

Yooper Jo
12-15-2007, 09:52 AM
Name recognition is pretty much nil across the UP. Romney ads are on TV and radio. Reaching people by going door to door is not going to happen before primary day. People are too spread out, it was 10 below zero this morning, and with the gas/oil prices and people struggling to heat their homes, people don't have the money to step up and just run ads without the campaign doing it. I am hesitating on donating to the tea party. I would rather send my $$ to a PAC that will run some ads up here. People on this list are talking about ads and automated calls, but I am beginning to have my doubts that the 906 area code (which covers the entire UP) is even on their lists. I have also heard mention WJR is running ads that cover the whole state. Well, maybe on a CLEAR night, it might. Problem is, it is rarely clear in the UP in the winter, the signal is terrible, and nobody listens to it.
The sad part is...most people I have talked to don't even KNOW about the democrats bailing. Everyone says they will NOT vote for Hillary.

anewvoice
12-15-2007, 10:29 AM
Good news for today. Ron Paul supporters targetted the majopr malls in southeastern Michigan this am. I got a call from someone who knows me who said there was a "large" group he saw.

And I've seen a number of signs (including a new one in my neighborhood) on freeways and at intersections that I'm NOT responsible for.

Michigan is the perfect storm!

scandinaviany3
12-15-2007, 10:31 AM
I know that I've stated this before but are we forgetting about Michigan? I mean I don't see any chip ins being made for the state. I know our first priorities are Iowa and New Hampshire as they come first, but Michigan is only a week after New Hampshire and Ron Paul could easily win it with some television commercials over here, preferably the ones by Jeremiah Black. ;) But seriously, I feel like everyone is ignoring this state. Why is that?

We put up a minimal ad shot for michigan of 15k.

Given michigan has 6 tv regions we should go for 50k-100k similar to central iowa to have max impact.

Its up to the public to fund the minimum and then go for the max.

If we make the minimums we will open up donations to the maximum and see how much people want to donate.

Tyler

LibertyEagle
12-15-2007, 10:35 AM
www.OperationNH.com

There is a chip-in specifically for Michigan.

boondoggle
12-15-2007, 11:03 AM

I've heard Flushing is OWNED. I have a Ron Paul sign in Flint, and there's plenty a little north of it. I think someone should raise enough money to buy a billboards for him. But no one really is doing that . . . Support for him in Detroit is huge, too (700+ I think).

There's a good hundred supporters working hard here in the southeast/thumb region, but the most we seem to get done is sign waiving and sign bombs; signs are more our weapon of choice. It's true, I saw a Romney commercial last night. He might just take it . . . :/ . . . I think supporters were at two malls yesterday.

You have to understand that there's a lot more woods in the UP, people are more spread out. I think Romney has it made up there, from what I hear. Awesome chipin too on operationNH.com, but, unfortunately, no one has chipped in yet . . . :/.

Michigan's primary is January 15. The fourth state in the lineup and I feel like it could make or break his momentum . . . It's a creepily saddening thought.