PDA

View Full Version : Really need some help here

RonPaulVolunteer
12-15-2007, 01:40 AM
When I started the Ron Paul Video Podcast, I wasn't sure how popular it would become. But with even just a few people subscribed, 837 today, the bandwidth demands are massive. Just look at the growth in the server stats below.

So to keep this service running past the end of this month, I am going to need an unlimited bandwidth connection. The podcast is different to YouTube in that it lets people download and KEEP video files on their PC or Mac, or iPod or iPhone that they can play back at any time. I have both an iPod and iPhone, and these videos look STUNNING on both devices and it draws people's attention immediately. It surprises me every-time. Part of it is just that few people have ever watched video on these devices, so it makes it a boon for us.

Does anyone here own an ISP that can give me a server with an unlimited 100BT connection to load my files on? Or is anyone over their $2300 and can lay down the $$ with an ISP so we can get this? Warning, they're not cheap!! I started a chipin the other day on our site, but no one has donated anything, so I don't think that's the answer. At our current rate of growth, our bandwidth usage is growing so fast I have had to limit the videos I make available. And as you can see, if I put a fresh vid on each day, we would double our bandwidth every freaking day!!

I know web hosting inside out back the front, so that's no issue, I just don't have the $$ to fund this...

So, anyone....?

http://RonPaulVideoPodcast.com

http://ronpaulvideopodcast.com/server_stats.gif

Suzu
12-15-2007, 01:44 AM
I've got the bandwidth you need. Send me a PM and we'll work out the details.

RonPaulVolunteer
12-15-2007, 01:51 AM
6 Terabytes/month won't be enough. As we enter the primaries it's going to skyrocket and we may be doing 1TB a day. That's why I need a very fast unlimited connection. Otherwise I'll constantly be swapping servers. But I really appreciate such an immediate offer.

RonPaulVolunteer
12-15-2007, 03:21 AM
bump

burningfur
12-15-2007, 03:41 AM
I'll help you bump this thread

Geronimo
12-15-2007, 11:06 AM
I'll help you bump this thread

Me too.

RonPaulVolunteer
12-15-2007, 02:42 PM
We've consumed a whopping 54.6GB today already!!! Wow...

Jobarra
12-15-2007, 02:43 PM
So 6TB a month is worse than what you have now? Can't use it as a temp solution?

Is there anyway to load balance the podcast between download sites? Possibly a farm of sites with 3TB a month? All you have to do is a have a simple database keeping track of download links and how much bandwidth has gone through them.

yongrel
12-15-2007, 02:44 PM
bump

I wish i could help more

RonPaulVolunteer
12-15-2007, 02:54 PM
I don't have the time to create an elaborate system and then maintain it. What you're talking about is a lot of work. There's nothing simple about it. And actually, because of the way podcasting works with an RSS feed using XML, to create such a system would require not just a dbase, but software to generate random url within the xml on the fly and load balance it all. The cost to do that would be at least 10 times the price of an unlimited server. On the flip side, since no one has done that, i could make a lot of money off of it. I just don't have the 6-12 months to develop it :) but feel free....

An unlimited connection is the simplest way to deal with this. Surely there will be someone here who owns or works at an ISP who will eventually see this thread. For them to provide me a server should not be a big deal. Just a waiting game...

Mark
12-15-2007, 03:07 PM
Have you considered multiple inexpensive accounts?

For example, hosting podcast files on separate accounts?

$6.95/month isn't bad for 1TB of space and 5TB of BW.

I've had downloads of over 600kbs with my account. It's super fast. State of the art content delivery system.

http://www.lypha.com/hosting_plans.shtml

RonPaulVolunteer
12-15-2007, 03:13 PM
You suggested this already, and I have already pointed out that Lypha has probably the worst reputation of any web host in the world. That's why it is so ridiculously cheap. There's a good reason why they make you pay a full YEAR in advance!!!!

I could so it with other hosts though, but then we'd be back to what I posted a few minutes ago.

The simplest way to do this is one unlimited server. I have been webhosting for a very very long time and I know what's best here. I will just wait to find the right person I have probably until the end of the month.

Time for Change
12-15-2007, 03:15 PM
I don't have the time to create an elaborate system and then maintain it. What you're talking about is a lot of work. There's nothing simple about it. And actually, because of the way podcasting works with an RSS feed using XML, to create such a system would require not just a dbase, but software to generate random url within the xml on the fly and load balance it all. The cost to do that would be at least 10 times the price of an unlimited server. On the flip side, since no one has done that, i could make a lot of money off of it. I just don't have the 6-12 months to develop it :) but feel free....

An unlimited connection is the simplest way to deal with this. Surely there will be someone here who owns or works at an ISP who will eventually see this thread. For them to provide me a server should not be a big deal. Just a waiting game...

What monthly costs are you looking at for an upgrade to your existing site?
In other words: How much money do you need, as it relates to the server / bandwidth ONLY?
What "Offers" have you considered from alternate hosts?
http://www.50webs.com/compare.html
http://www.free-webspace.org/free_unlimited_bandwidth.php

PM me with details

Mark
12-15-2007, 03:20 PM
You suggested this already, and I have already pointed out that Lypha has probably the worst reputation of any web host in the world. That's why it is so ridiculously cheap. There's a good reason why they make you pay a full YEAR in advance!!!!

I could so it with other hosts though, but then we'd be back to what I posted a few minutes ago.

The simplest way to do this is one unlimited server. I have been webhosting for a very very long time and I know what's best here. I will just wait to find the right person I have probably until the end of the month.

I missed your response previously, excuse me for trying to help. I've had no problem with them at all.

They been so good I'm moving all my domains to them.

You mentioned hundreds per month for Planet, I simply said you could get tens of accounts for that much.

And I only paid 6 months in advance.
But, I could have gone with 1 month, so I don't know where you get your year in advance thing. Maybe for the deal.

If you've been webhosting for so long you should know someone. I've seen hosts on this board mention offers for free servers.

But since you know what's best, and don't want my help, I won't help you find them.

burningfur
12-15-2007, 03:23 PM
bump

RonPaulVolunteer
12-15-2007, 03:27 PM
Thank you Mark. http://www.webhostingjury.com/reviews/Lypha

Mark
12-15-2007, 03:33 PM
Thank you Mark. http://www.webhostingjury.com/reviews/Lypha

eh.. 13 reviews.. those reviews seem to be mostly about slow support.. they've been fast "as all get out" for me. Very prompt customer service.

here's one free server offer:

jd603 (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/member.php?u=1059) http://www.ronpaulforums.com/gfx_RedWhiteBlue/statusicon/user_offline.gif
about: Join Date: Jun 2007

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/gfx_RedWhiteBlue/icons/icon1.gif
I sent you an e-mail, I can give you a free server, no cost. I will also support it at no charge. Availability monitored 24/7 etc.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=42175

Nefertiti
12-15-2007, 03:35 PM
Would something like Magnify.net give you the tools you need?

burningfur
12-15-2007, 03:35 PM
bump

RonPaulVolunteer
12-15-2007, 03:41 PM
Would something like Magnify.net give you the tools you need?

That's just a YouTube clone. So no.

Mark Rushmore
12-15-2007, 03:45 PM
That's just a YouTube clone. So no.

Just to save time, is any offer short of "you choose the host, set it up however you like, and we will pay for it no questions asked" going to satisfy you?

yongrel
12-15-2007, 03:46 PM
Just to save time, is any offer short of "you choose the host, set it up however you like, and we will pay for it no questions asked" going to satisfy you?

I'm gonna tune into the psychic network and predict... "No!"

burningfur
12-15-2007, 03:49 PM
I lold.

RonPaulVolunteer
12-15-2007, 03:53 PM

Buddy, listen here, I am providing an incredibly useful service. I know what I'm doing. I know what is needed. If you can't handle that, that's not my problem. If i need a shovel and I keep getting offered teaspoons, then yeah, I'm not going to take it. And no, a thousand teaspoons isn't going to help either.

I have already said I am in no rush, so take your problems to a professional who can offer you some help instead of rattling on me ok.

yongrel
12-15-2007, 03:54 PM
Buddy, listen here, I am providing an incredibly useful service. I know what I'm doing. I know what is needed. If you can't handle that, that's not my problem. If i need a shovel and I keep getting offered teaspoons, then yeah, I'm not going to take it. And no, a thousand teaspoons isn't going to help either.

I have already said I am in no rush, so take your problems to a professional who can offer you some help instead of rattling on me ok.

Valuable service aside, beggars can't be choosers.

Mark Rushmore
12-15-2007, 03:54 PM

Is that a yes or a no?

yongrel
12-15-2007, 03:55 PM
Is that a yes or a no?

Sounds no-ish

RonPaulVolunteer
12-15-2007, 03:57 PM
Well it's good that I'm not begging then. The market will determine the outcome won't it. If the service is valuable enough, we will get what we need to keep it going. If we don't, then no big deal.

And really, just stop getting so darn emotional about things... Sheesh...

Oh man, a guy who know what he needs and won't settle for crap, run, I'm scared... pathetic!

Mark Rushmore
12-15-2007, 03:58 PM
Sounds no-ish

Thanks for the translation.

burningfur
12-15-2007, 03:58 PM
I give you a bump in hopes that someone will help, just don't be mean, lol.

Mark
12-15-2007, 04:00 PM
Valuable service aside, beggars can't be choosers.

Honey instead of vinegar too as the saying goes. If I had a farm of servers I'd avoid such an attitude personally.

But I can be a bit picky in terms of how I and others are treated in terms of niceties.

RonPaulVolunteer
12-15-2007, 04:05 PM
Oh w/e

Time for Change
12-15-2007, 04:10 PM
I have asked twice how much money is needed, please provide details.

Time for Change
12-15-2007, 04:12 PM
as a marketing strat...get itunes and subscribe to the podcast.
Have everyone you know do the same.
Doing this moves the Ron Paul videos to the top of the popularity list on the front page.
Who knows, it may bring more people.
Def worth a try!

RonPaulVolunteer
12-15-2007, 04:17 PM
Time for Change, I already replied to your private message more than 30 min ago.

Mark
12-15-2007, 04:19 PM
Oh w/e

Heard of "How to Win Friends & Influence People"?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51SVEN6XN5L._SS500_.jpg

yongrel
12-15-2007, 04:19 PM
Heard of "How to win friends and influence people"?

:p

burningfur
12-15-2007, 04:20 PM

That. Was great. lol

RonPaulVolunteer
12-15-2007, 04:20 PM

OMG!! I have it in audio on my iPod actually and I read in paperback several time. I listen to it frequently. Clearly you have not or you would not be continuing on in your rants. Read the chapter about winning arguments! my gosh!

burningfur
12-15-2007, 04:22 PM
OMG!! I have it in audio on my iPod actually and I read in paperback several time. I listen to it frequently. Clearly you have not or you would not be continuing on in your rants. Read the chapter about winning arguments! my gosh!

I think you are suffering from pre-tea-party stress. Why don't you take a laydown...

Now, what was your childhood like?

RonPaulVolunteer
12-15-2007, 04:22 PM
Oh ho, we're all so funny...

I have thicker skin, give up.

yongrel
12-15-2007, 04:23 PM

Ugh... you're missing the point.

You've been ever-so-slightly abrasive and demanding in this thread, which seems to be slightly out of line considering your position of requesting free resources of considerable value.

RonPaulVolunteer
12-15-2007, 04:24 PM
Oh look, if this is the way you treat someone who has worked so f*cking hard to provide a service for people and just wants to ensure it continues, I am not going to bother working on it anymore. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. Fools.

burningfur
12-15-2007, 04:25 PM

You've been ever-so-slightly abrasive and demanding in this thread, which seems to be slightly out of line considering your position of requesting free resources of considerable value.

I concur.

burningfur
12-15-2007, 04:25 PM
Oh look, if this is the way you treat someone who has worked so f*cking hard to provide a service for people and just wants to ensure it continues, I am not going to bother working on it anymore. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. Fools.

Dude, relax. Lighten up, wait, and see if someone wants to help. Humble yourself buddy.

RonPaulVolunteer
12-15-2007, 04:26 PM

No I really have not. I have rejected things that won't work. And now I get punished for it. Well no more podcast. Stuff the lot of ya.

yongrel
12-15-2007, 04:27 PM

You're still not catching on.

No one is disputing the value of your service. Hell, I'm a subscriber to it.

The issue is that you've been less than pleasant to a lot of people in this thread, which does not help your situation.

Your contributions to the movement do not waive the need for common courtesy and respect.

RonPaulVolunteer
12-15-2007, 04:29 PM

The issue is that you've been less than pleasant to a lot of people in this thread, which does not help your situation.

Your contributions to the movement do not waive the need for common courtesy and respect.

OH AND OF COURSE I'VE BEEN COMPLETELY UNPROVOKED!!!

burningfur
12-15-2007, 04:29 PM

Read what he wrote, stop typing for a second, and think.

RonPaulVolunteer
12-15-2007, 04:31 PM
Forget it, I am ending the service. Someone else can put up with this sort of BS.

rrroae
If I were to assume, I'd say that RonPaulvolunteer has probably done an enormous amount of work trying to help our cause. He probably doesn't feel very patient listening to suggestions that wouldn't do anything to help especially after all the work he's done.

The problem is, as RP supporters, sometimes we need stroked a little bit before we're willing to jump into the fire.

But then again,...I'm just assuming.

Mark

That doesn't mean you've comprehended it, which obviously you haven't.

Ok then, I'll quit bumping your post, and your podcast vids are freely available elsewhere too "Mr Wonderful for helping like everyone else is".

You're Special!

Mark
12-15-2007, 04:34 PM
If I were to assume, I'd say that RonPaulvolunteer has probably done an enormous amount of work trying to help our cause. He probably doesn't feel very patient listening to suggestions that wouldn't do anything to help especially after all the work he's done.

The problem is, as RP supporters, sometimes we need stroked a little bit before we're willing to jump into the fire.

But then again,...I'm just assuming.

Assuming.. nice choice of words. ;)

President Paul is all most of us need to "jump into the fire". Some are less confident in themselves and need the kudos I suppose.

burningfur (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/member.php?u=10033) "whatever happened to traits like patience and humility? Just curious..."They're still around.. just not so common anymore.

burningfur
12-15-2007, 04:35 PM
whatever happened to traits like patience and humility? Just curious...

rrroae
12-15-2007, 04:39 PM
RonPaulVolunteer, I really apppreciate what you're doing to help, so can I ask you to not let us stand in your way?

I know you know, but just remember you're doing this for Dr Paul, not for us.

Have a little patience brother.

Hurricane Bruiser
12-15-2007, 04:40 PM
Well I can't help out on any techy stuff but it seems like we have someone who knows what they are doing and makes a request for some help, gets offers in return that don't quite match what he wants, and both sides get frustrated.

I think people just need to chill out a bit, sip some of Ron Paul's tea tomorrow, and then go back to work for the good Dr.

AisA1787
12-15-2007, 04:46 PM
Forget it, I am ending the service. Someone else can put up with this sort of BS.

Well, shit.

RonPaulVolunteer, don't quit. The service looks fantastic. There's a chance you'll find what you're looking for here.

Everyone else: I know you're trying to help (I think), but seriously, the man needs unlimited bandwidth, period. And he's not asking for something "for free", he is giving his valuable time, knowledge, and skills to HELP RON PAUL WIN. That's not asking for a handout last time I checked. I detest writing in all capital letters but I did it because it needed to be done.

Help him, bump his thread, or leave him alone.

RonPaulVolunteer
12-16-2007, 12:24 AM
Thank you for your support...

As I said, if I post a new vid each day, we DOUBLE our bandwidth, see below....

http://ronpaulvideopodcast.com/server_stats2.gif

Time for Change
12-16-2007, 08:09 AM
Time for Change, I already replied to your private message more than 30 min ago.

Did you get actual numbers yet?
I cannot give you an open checkbook, but I am willing to send a little cash to tide you over. I cannot donate my own server or bandwidth, sorry.
I will not provide any funding without exact dollar amounts and the contract length.
Why? Let’s just say I have been around the "Palm Out Society" before.
I know this is a great cause, and it is money well spent, but I NEED to know exactly how much money before I move.
I want the contract length, so I can determine whether or not you are getting shafted on the terms.

Please reply, or PM me with the details, and i am sure that everyone here will pull together and assist.

My interest here is the Ron Paul movement, Period.
I will assist in any way I can.

That said, may I request that we (the members of this forum) return to civil communications?
This is a public forum, readily accessible by media, opponents, etc.
Bickering does not help or represent our cause, does it?
Isn't the destruction from within exactly what we are organizing to eliminate?

Mark
12-16-2007, 08:46 AM
Did you get actual numbers yet?
I cannot give you an open checkbook, but I am willing to send a little cash to tide you over. I cannot donate my own server or bandwidth, sorry.
I will not provide any funding without exact dollar amounts and the contract length.
Why? Let’s just say I have been around the "Palm Out Society" before.
I know this is a great cause, and it is money well spent, but I NEED to know exactly how much money before I move.
I want the contract length, so I can determine whether or not you are getting shafted on the terms.

Please reply, or PM me with the details, and i am sure that everyone here will pull together and assist.

My interest here is the Ron Paul movement, Period.
I will assist in any way I can.

That said, may I request that we (the members of this forum) return to civil communications?
This is a public forum, readily accessible by media, opponents, etc.
Bickering does not help or represent our cause, does it?
Isn't the destruction from within exactly what we are organizing to eliminate?

QFT and bump and a little defense of my host that I recommended vs the few bad reviews he pointed out.

http://www.lypha.com/awards.shtml

LYPHA™ has earned the reputation of being one of the most most affordable web hosting firms online,
providing customers with real support and real service.
Below are the awards and recognitions LYPHA™ has earned by providing an outstanding service.

http://www.lypha.com/imgbase/awards_06.gif