PDA

View Full Version : An alarrming trend??

Dave Wood
07-03-2007, 03:10 PM
Hello all,

This is my first post, I think this forum is very valuable.
I have watched nearly every video that his been posted of Dr. Paul, rallies, speeches, even meetup pictures, and I have noticed something that alarms me. I am a 40 year old white male living outside of Wash DC in a very culturally diverse area. Our rallies and meetups dont seem to be attracting any minority groups? Are we just not attractive to them, do they not understand the message, what is it? I think we would by wise to pay a little closer attention to these folks because they do make up a large chunk of the voting block of independents and republicans. Is any else noticing this trend and if so do you have any ideas on how we can show a more diverse face to the campaign as time goes by. Thanks for the chance to speak.

FSP-Rebel
07-03-2007, 03:19 PM
Basically, we're not gonna get many blacks because they are going to vote for Obama regardless. And most hispanics won't support us either. Typically, both of these cultural groups rely on the entitlement system. We pay for their programs and their kids' educations (or whatever ya call it) so they can buy their SUVs, cell phones and name brand clothing. Any time you have people that look at themselves in groups as opposed to individuals, you can't rely on them to support a candidate who is for individualism.

Santana28
07-03-2007, 03:19 PM
i noticed this too. profoundly white and male 18-50 years of age.

i'm female and i'm not making any excuses but i think that generally speaking most of the other demographics just aren't that politically interested PERIOD. Ron Paul attracts first and foremost people that THINK about politics and care about issues...

i guess i'm a rarity. my husband at first thought i was a nut for going to Des Moines, but after seeing the videos he's starting to really get it. Apathy doesn't work these days.

I think Dr. Paul could make in roads on the black community amazingly by continuing to talk about the need for personal responsibility in our lives, and perhaps (more negatively) by his stance on legalizing drugs. Legal drugs = less black males in prison for drug offenses, etc. And gun control issues - giving people back the ability to defend themselves against thugs.

I think he could also appeal to LEGAL immigrants (i.e. other minorities) vs. the illegal immigration problem, and get them involved in solving the problem in ways that aren't inhumane.

Good topic...

RPR-omaha
07-03-2007, 03:25 PM
I think Ron Paul has a good chance with minorities, especially blacks. He does stand against the war on Drugs which targets minorities. Ending the war on drugs would be great for them since they are targeted. Also more blacks are supporting hillary than obama. So Paul has a chance with them. I think he can garner support from middle class latinos. His biggest problem will be the "R" in front of his name.

damijin
07-03-2007, 03:27 PM
Basically, we're not gonna get many blacks because they are going to vote for Obama regardless. And most hispanics won't support us either. Typically, both of these cultural groups rely on the entitlement system. We pay for their programs and their kids' educations (or whatever ya call it) so they can buy their SUVs, cell phones and name brand clothing. Any time you have people that look at themselves in groups as opposed to individuals, you can't rely on them to support a candidate who is for individualism.

It's really ignorant to suggest that black people will overwhelmingly be on the Obama camp because he has a certain skin color, not to mention the other broad sweeping generalizations you made.

I don't think Ron Paul's message is out of reach of minorities, but people put too much emphasis on race in politics, and not enough on race-less generalizations of social standing such as 'college educated' or 'tech savvy'.

People of one color or another do not vote the same, they do not feel the same on the issues, and I think that the media is to blame when it comes to telling uninformed voters of any group how to vote. The media says blacks love democrats, as a black man who doesn't actually follow politics but who thinks we need change... I would vote democrat. The media told me that I'm a young person from the north east, so I should vote democrat too...

Well when I took the time to learn what a democrat actually was, and heard Ron Paul's message I realized that the media was stuffing me in a crappy generalization that almost dictated my voting track.

Reach out to everyone, Liberty is universal.

TheEvilDetector
07-03-2007, 03:31 PM
There is a very simple solution to this problem. He has to make some speeches in areas where the minorities would be well represented ie. black/hispanic neighborhoods.

However, one cannot escape the fact that some hispanics may resent his tough stance on illegal immigration and may not vote for him out of spite.

This resentment is valid, but it is short-sighted, because US economy is headed for disaster due to grossly irresponsible extensions of the welfare state which is completely immoral (according to David Walker and he knows what he is talking about, google video and you tube his name)

Therefore, those that resent him would do well to realise he is actually fighting for their standard of living. In any case, if nothing is done fiscally and the desperately needed reform does not eventuate in short order, US economy will crash and burn in the worst possible way in the very near future, leaving ruins and a 3rd world country.

At that time, it will no longer matter whether immigration is restricted or not.

csen
07-03-2007, 03:35 PM
Let's also consider the fact that Ron Paul's base stems from the internet, which leans white/male. Hopefully as the word spreads the diversity of the crowds will as well.

quickmike
07-03-2007, 03:39 PM
Heres an interesting piece of support from the Hip Hop community5:45 mark when he starts talking about RP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKKik8DVOsM

Gee
07-03-2007, 03:39 PM
People who participate in geeky political message boards, blogs, and discussions are primarily white or asian males, as far as I've seen.

TheEvilDetector
07-03-2007, 03:40 PM
For those that cannot be bothered looking at google and youtube videos on David Walker (who is the top accountant in the country) let me spell it out:

In about 20 or so years without meaningful and comprehensive fiscal reform such as the one Ron Paul offers, the US government will not be able to afford any programs except pay the interest on the government debt (that includes National Defense, not to mention Healthcare, Social Security and a myriad other programs).

What this means is that everyone will go into perpetual debt and own nothing.

That, my friends, is permanent slavery.

Wyurm
07-03-2007, 03:44 PM
An aspiring news anchor who backs ron paul. http://youtube.com/watch?v=62P5NjJ-EU0&watch_response

Bob Cochran
07-03-2007, 03:45 PM
People who participate in geeky political message boards, blogs, and discussions are primarily white or asian males, as far as I've seen.
Ha ha.

Yeah.:D

tsoldrin
07-03-2007, 03:46 PM
To be honest, I didn't notice any such thing. I think Ron Paul appeals to people as individuals, not members of sub groups, therefore I see us all as simply free thinkers.

atilla
07-03-2007, 03:46 PM
what about pat from three shoes posse?

if you haven't listened to their song "ron paul is here" check it out best reggae song about ron paul ever.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=naMtwqBzja0

Wyurm
07-03-2007, 04:00 PM
To be honest, I didn't notice any such thing. I think Ron Paul appeals to people as individuals, not members of sub groups, therefore I see us all as simply free thinkers.

Exactly. I understand the worry of the OP. But I feel we need to focus on getting the message out to EVERYONE and I mean absolutely every single individual.

DjLoTi
07-03-2007, 04:07 PM
You guys should look through his friends on myspace. You'll see they're all not white males 18-50

Dave Wood
07-03-2007, 04:34 PM
What about the people that would be the most conservative like the peoples from Japan, Korea, Vietnam, etc. These folks are in this country in large numbers and do vote. I think the black/white issue may be a little overblown when it comes to Pauls message and agree that we dont have a whole lot of chance with latin americans unless we can show some benefit to them regarding the immigration issue....I know it is unfair to group but there are areas of the country that are predominately made up of one minority or another and I think we need to develop a strategy to attract these people to the campaign.

sandersondavis
07-03-2007, 04:38 PM
Believe me, Blacks and Hispanics ARE responsive to Ron Paul's message. People are all the same! Walter Williams and Thomas Soul (I don't think that is how is name is spelled, but that is how I always pronounced it.) are both black, both smart as hell, and both are libertarians.

First off, don't make the mistake of lumping people in a group. They are all individuals first. Second, respect their views and opinions. Give all people the respect they deserve by approaching them and sharing RP's message.

Don't be afraid to approach ministers and ask if they would like to have RP speak at their church. Now of course you can't actually deliver RP, so don't make any promises other than you'll try, but you can communicate with HQ and maybe get RP to make an appearance. Become an effective liaison and you just might find your self with a real White House position in the RP administration.

And a note: If you really are out there getting speaking engagements for RP then please get a hold of some decent video and sound equipment and have somebody competent operate them. Local colleges are great for this stuff. Students can check out the equipment and edit the results for credit or a resume. Just make sure that you have "ownership" of the raw tapes.

Edit: By the way, it is Thomas Sowell

walt
07-03-2007, 04:54 PM
i noticed this too. profoundly white and male 18-50 years of age.

i'm female and i'm not making any excuses but i think that generally speaking most of the other demographics just aren't that politically interested PERIOD. Ron Paul attracts first and foremost people that THINK about politics and care about issues...

i guess i'm a rarity. my husband at first thought i was a nut for going to Des Moines, but after seeing the videos he's starting to really get it. Apathy doesn't work these days.

I think Dr. Paul could make in roads on the black community amazingly by continuing to talk about the need for personal responsibility in our lives, and perhaps (more negatively) by his stance on legalizing drugs. Legal drugs = less black males in prison for drug offenses, etc. And gun control issues - giving people back the ability to defend themselves against thugs.

I think he could also appeal to LEGAL immigrants (i.e. other minorities) vs. the illegal immigration problem, and get them involved in solving the problem in ways that aren't inhumane.

Good topic...

I agree

Razmear
07-03-2007, 05:18 PM
This just landed in my inbox from the RP campaign:

July 3, 2007

After an airport rally in Arizona recently, a tall black man in an Obama shirt came up to shake my hand. He said he had stopped to listen, stayed to learn, and now wanted a Ron Paul shirt. And sure enough, when I saw him again, he was wearing one.

Diversity is much talked about these days, for purposes of government enhancement, but its reality is rare. However, I've seen it -- everyday, in our campaign.

Young people, middle-aged people, seniors, whites, blacks, Hispanics, new citizens, old-line families, Republicans in suits and ties, hippies, home-schoolers, high-schoolers, homemakers, small business people, workers and capitalists, all united in their love for country and Constitution.

As my great mentor Ludwig von Mises showed, government meddling in the economy creates conflict, as special-interest groups seek to rip us off through big government. The voluntarism of the free market, on the other hand, brings social cooperation and peace. That's why this campaign is a showcase for the real unity-in-diversity that is freedom.

Of course, the number of young people continues to thrill me. When I ask them how they got interested, they usually mention the Constitution. Old-style permissive parenting held that kids should do as they wanted, but kids want and need rules, and they know that government needs them too. Thus our Constitution -- the few, good rules for a society of liberty, and for the social and international peace that we all want.

Two other notes: conservative talkshow host Michael Smerconish told me he has changed his mind on the war, and now agrees with us. And a Republican county chairman in South Carolina said I am unwelcome in his county because of my position on the war. He will help all other candidates, but not me.

But just as the Iowa exclusion didn't work -- we had more people, and far more enthusiastic people, than the official event -- so this man will not be successful.

You can help make sure of that, with your generous donation (https://www.ronpaul2008.com/donate/) to this campaign. We run on a comparative shoestring, and that has its advantages against the lumbering dinosaur operations of our opponents. We can be nimble and quick. But not without your help. I'd be so grateful for your contribution.

Warmest regards,

Ron Paul

Dojo
07-03-2007, 05:22 PM
I know Ron Paul is a compassionate man, and I know he is given very little time to get his message out. And he is forced to rattle his messages out. But he needs to let his compassionate side start coming thru now, that will attract more women. I know he wants to get his message about "cradle to grave", but I know a few elderly and disabled that need to hear about his thoughts for them. I keep trying to find videos like that to share with them, I could swing them over right now.......I have heard him quickly mention in a couple of videos that there would have to be a tranistion, but if he could ever find time to talk directly to the elderly, both more women and the elderly would be on train... Just a thought from a woman

Man from La Mancha
07-03-2007, 05:49 PM
Set tables up in flee markets for Ron in minorities areas.

paulitics
07-03-2007, 06:12 PM
Well the primaries are made up of predomiantly white republicans age 30 to 100. They rarely ever appeal to minorities. However, I'm particularly pleased with the open mindedness and astute awareness of blacks about the approaching tyrrany. Freedom, as it should be, is popular. And any support during primaries are like freebies, since the other candidates will draw few if any.

Now as far as women, Im dumbfounded as to why a candidate who is antiwar and pro liberty does not appeal to more women. I still do not have an answer why they would support Romney over Paul, is it the hair?

Dave Wood
07-03-2007, 06:29 PM
The point about minorities and grouping them together is being missed altogether. Minorities by their very nature are more vulnerable to harassment then majorities so they tend to stick together in numbers to help protect one another, this is natural behavior and if we cant realize that the "Individual is more powerful than a group" message doesnt resonate with peoples that are threatened or continually harrassed and feel that this is their only defense, then our campaign has no chance with this large block of VOTERS that could be on our side. I believe in the individual, but you also have to look at simple human behavior. The USA is very large, but when you get in to the bigger cities NY/LA/CHI/DC/HOUST/etc you will realize that the group means everything to them for self pres. ....my point is if we can break through the barriers of these groups, our message will spread like a volcano without having to do any work, given that they like our message-----the main stream media is not going to help us EVER...strategy is important

Avalon
07-03-2007, 09:33 PM
It's really ignorant to suggest that black people will overwhelmingly be on the Obama camp because he has a certain skin color, not to mention the other broad sweeping generalizations you made.
While that may be generally true, as you say the MSM has a huge influence, and the Obama campaign and MSM sure seems to be telling them to vote for him. I listen to News & Notes on NPR at least a couple times each week and I'd say 70% of their candidate coverage is about him, 25% is about Hillary, and 5% on all other candidates combined. The commentators seem to speak of him with a warmth I consider pride.

Look at tonight's show: http://www.npr.org/templates/rundowns/rundown.php?prgId=11&agg=0&prgDate=07-03-2007&view=storyview
After spending all of yesterday's news segment talking about Obama's amazing fundraising numbers, they bring it up again today...and combine it with the latest Libby scandal...as if the two are related. The subtext is "Look, people are really upset at this awful administration and recognize Barack as their saviour. Be part of the solution!"

Furthermore I've noticed over the last two years on this show that whenever a divisive issue (abortion, immigration, welfare) is brought up, no one on the roundtable seems to take a strong stance on either side...they are either generally in agreement (and just fighting over mic time) or picking nits that are only tangentially related. Every once in a while a racially charged statement is made and goes unquestioned by everyone. The worst I'd seen was about a year ago when the subject of discrimation against whites in South Africa was brought up. One of the regulars commented something like, "Please! I don't want to hear it! After what our people went through there, they deserve far worse than they're getting." Not one person said anything in disagreement and they moved on to the next issue.

With all that said, I'm not sure how important this whole discussion is. I'm looking to tell everyone about Ron Paul. I'm not focusing on any groups (well, if republicans lived in designated neighborhoods I would hit those first). I may be a zealot but I firmly believe that everyone is susceptible to this message, given enough work, because it is the truth.

Mesogen
07-03-2007, 09:47 PM
In our meetup (Nashville) the people that have actually met up were mostly white, about half men, half women, but there was one black guy at the first meeting of 20 people, one guy who I couldn't tell where he was from, and three guys that I am assuming were hispanic. The hispanic (i'm guessing) guys actually seemed to be some of the more vocal supporters there.

Now the group is up to over 100 people, but I haven't been to a single meetup with more than 20 people attending.

ETA: But you have to remember that the population of the US is still something like 80% white. It could just be that.

Mesogen
07-03-2007, 09:48 PM
An aspiring news anchor who backs ron paul. http://youtube.com/watch?v=62P5NjJ-EU0&watch_response

He he, is that guy old enough to vote? ;)

ecliptic
07-03-2007, 09:54 PM
what about pat from three shoes posse?

if you haven't listened to their song "ron paul is here" check it out best reggae song about ron paul ever.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=naMtwqBzja0

Best Ron Paul video. Period. Ever.

Are you brainwashed? .... Are you sure?

Do you generally agree with this statement:

"Jamaicans are lazy - they just sit around all day..."

Come on now... be honest with yourself!

Then you really need to watch this movie:

Life + Debt (http://imdb.com/title/tt0284262/)

The Jamaicans I know are the most world-wise intelligent people on this planet, bar none. Maybe that's because they know first-hand what globalism is really all about.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.