PDA

View Full Version : Will BLIMP Fly Over NFL Game Sunday?

mrchubbs
12-14-2007, 11:41 PM
The Seattle Seahawks are playing the Carolina Panthers at Bank Of America Stadium
in Charlotte, NC on Sunday. The game is at 1pm.

Is the Blimp planning to by flying in circles around the 75K capacity stadium before, during and after the game. Gotta be there for the tail-gaters too right?

This is a great opporunity. Yes I know it is the day of the Tea Party... wouldn't
this reach more people than flying around South Carolina?

I apologize if this is already planned, but wanted to bring it up, just in case.

Thoughts?

Green Mountain Boy
12-14-2007, 11:43 PM
Yeah, this is a good idea because if the blimp only circles the stadium in one direction, no one will see its nekked side.

DeadtoSin
12-14-2007, 11:45 PM
Well, if it is in the area this would be pretty much the most amazing thing I could think of to use it for.

Pride
12-14-2007, 11:51 PM
I'm not 100% sure on this, but I remember reading that there is a no fly zone for stadiums within a radius of 3 miles. Don't quote me on that though :p

mrchubbs
12-14-2007, 11:52 PM
Here is a link to google maps of the stadium.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=bank+of+america+stadium,+charlotte,+nc&sll=38.60326,-89.97158&sspn=0.007362,0.013154&ie=UTF8&ll=35.22634,-80.85371&spn=0.01539,0.026307&t=h&z=15&om=1

Also... it could get mentioned on the television broadcast of the game getting Ron Paul's name out to THAT many more people. This could reach a LOT of people that have never heard of Ron Paul.

spiteface
12-14-2007, 11:52 PM
No, because the don't have FAA clearance they have to stay like 3 miles away. Maybe for future games. As per Elijah in chat today.

DeadtoSin
12-14-2007, 11:53 PM
Ah, thanks guys.

mrchubbs
12-14-2007, 11:53 PM
No, because the don't have FAA clearance they have to stay like 3 miles away. Maybe for future games. As per Elijah in chat today.

Ugh.

spiteface
12-14-2007, 11:55 PM
yeah, too bad for this one. i think there probably wasn't enough time to work it out for this time. they're talking about hitting some games though, i'm pretty sure.

mrchubbs
12-14-2007, 11:57 PM
Why doesn't the Blimp have FAA clearance to do this?

What are the obstacles to getting this clearance?

spiteface
12-15-2007, 12:02 AM
I believe Elijah said that permits had to be submitted and approved a certain number of days in advance. I could be wrong. It was definitely something they had tried to do.

Duckman
12-15-2007, 12:05 AM
Why doesn't the Blimp have FAA clearance to do this?

What are the obstacles to getting this clearance?

My guess is nobody has had a chance to do the paperwork for it. Homeland security is probably involved, I'm sure there's a "suicide blimp" on page 937 of manual 3-E2. But seriously, it's probably major red tape.

mrchubbs
12-15-2007, 12:07 AM
Permits... typical of the bureacracy.

I guess it will be difficult to get the blimp to do this at all then, because how
can they align the permits required with the ideal weather for the blimp on
the day of the event.

I wouldn't want that job.

So what is the penalty for an FAA violation?.... nah... i'm joking.

spiteface
12-15-2007, 12:12 AM
I think it will happen, just not for this game. It will be great if so.

dawnbt
12-15-2007, 12:18 AM
bump

devil21
12-15-2007, 12:22 AM
The Seattle Seahawks are playing the Carolina Panthers at Bank Of America Stadium
in Charlotte, NC on Sunday. The game is at 1pm.

Is the Blimp planning to by flying in circles around the 75K capacity stadium before, during and after the game. Gotta be there for the tail-gaters too right?

This is a great opporunity. Yes I know it is the day of the Tea Party... wouldn't
this reach more people than flying around South Carolina?

I apologize if this is already planned, but wanted to bring it up, just in case.

Thoughts?

Eh...the Panthers are so terrible no one will be in the stadium or watching the game on TV so it wont matter! :D j/k sorta

Even a 3 mile radius isn't bad considering the stadium is right there in downtown Charlotte. Flying around downtown for a few hours during the game isn't a bad use of airtime.

Copperhed51
12-15-2007, 12:24 AM
Yeah, there is always a TFR (Temporary Flight Restriction) over events with 30,000 people I think.

Yeah, here it is:

COMMENCING ONE HOUR BEFORE THE SCHEDULED TIME OF THE EVENT UNTIL ONE HOUR AFTER THE END OF THE EVENT, ALL AIRCRAFT AND PARACHUTE OPERATIONS ARE PROHIBITED AT AND BELOW 3,000 FEET AGL WITHIN A THREE NAUTICAL MILE RADIUS OF ANY STADIUM HAVING A SEATING CAPACITY OF 30,000 OR MORE PEOPLE IN WHICH A MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL, NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE, NCAA DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL, OR MAJOR MOTOR SPEEDWAY EVENT IS OCCURING.

dmspilot00
12-15-2007, 12:29 AM
Yeah, there is always a TFR (Temporary Flight Restriction) over events with 30,000 people I think.

Yeah, here it is:

COMMENCING ONE HOUR BEFORE THE SCHEDULED TIME OF THE EVENT UNTIL ONE HOUR AFTER THE END OF THE EVENT, ALL AIRCRAFT AND PARACHUTE OPERATIONS ARE PROHIBITED AT AND BELOW 3,000 FEET AGL WITHIN A THREE NAUTICAL MILE RADIUS OF ANY STADIUM HAVING A SEATING CAPACITY OF 30,000 OR MORE PEOPLE IN WHICH A MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL, NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE, NCAA DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL, OR MAJOR MOTOR SPEEDWAY EVENT IS OCCURING.

That's it. You left out the waiver "criteria" though:

- FOR OPERATIONAL PURPOSES OF AN EVENT, STADIUM, OR OTHER VENUE, INCLUDING IN THE CASE OF A SPORTING EVENT THE TRANSPORT OF EQUIPMENT OR PARTS, TEAM MEMBERS, OFFICIALS OF THE GOVERNING BODY, THE IMMEDIATE FAMILY MEMBERS AND GUESTS OF SUCH TEAMS, AND OFFICIALS TO AND FROM THE EVENT, STADIUM, OR OTHER VENUE,
- FOR BROADCAST COVERAGE FOR ANY BROADCAST RIGHTS HOLDER
- FOR SAFETY AND SECURITY PURPOSES OF THE EVENT, STADIUM, OR OTHER VENUE.

THIS RESTRICTION DOES NOT APPLY TO THOSE AIRCRAFT AUTHORIZED BY ATC FOR OPERATIONAL OR SAFETY PURPOSES INCLUDING AIRCRAFT ARRIVING OR DEPARTING FROM AN AIRPORT USING STANDARD AIR TRAFFIC PROCEDURES

Add to this the fact that the stadium is in the surface area of Charlotte Douglas Airport's airspace and this idea seems very unlikely to happen.

mrchubbs
12-15-2007, 12:31 AM
Wow... thanks for all the good info.

In light of this I'd be surprised to see the Blimp at ANY major sporting event.

dmspilot00
12-15-2007, 12:33 AM
Yeah, all these rules were put into place after ... guess ... 9-11-2001.

mrchubbs
12-15-2007, 12:35 AM
Yeah, all these rules were put into place after ... guess ... 9-11-2001.

I guess the Blimp companies do not have a powerful lobby group for Congress.
;-)

moberley
12-15-2007, 12:38 AM

Yeah, here it is:

I don't know much about these sorts of events but I'm wondering if any people are there earlier than one hour before the schedule start?

RonPaulFanInGA
12-15-2007, 01:17 AM
I don't know much about these sorts of events but I'm wondering if any people are there earlier than one hour before the schedule start?

Yes! What about all the tailgaters?

mokkan88
12-15-2007, 01:29 AM
The blimp can fly higher than three-thousand feet...

mckirkus
12-15-2007, 01:30 AM
Ron Paul wants to abolish the FAA, this could be tricky :)

Man from La Mancha
12-15-2007, 01:34 AM
The blimp can fly higher than three-thousand feet...Yes and they said one could read Ron paul from 3 miles away. How in he heck did all those airplane banners that were flown by nascar try outs and college games happen?

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/1539/blackwsmalldv3.gif (teaparty07.com)ronpaulblimp.com...donate both

dmspilot00
12-15-2007, 01:36 AM
The blimp can fly higher than three-thousand feet... It would be hard to read higher than that. Besides as I already said it is less than 5 miles from Charlotte Douglas Airport, the air traffic controllers don't have to let them in there (blimps and airliners don't mix).

dmspilot00
12-15-2007, 01:38 AM
How in he heck did all those airplane banners that were flown by nascar try outs and college games happen?

You answered your own question.

surf
12-15-2007, 01:42 AM
if i missed it on ealier posts, i'm sorry - but i heard Trevor say it takes a couple days to get approval to fly over a game. a member a while back said it takes several weeks.

if it takes only a few days, i think it should fly over the Pats game next week (if it heads north) or another game elsewhere. "arial coverage for today's game courtesy of The Ron Paul Blimp. Google Ron Paul and Join the Revolution"

mokkan88
12-15-2007, 01:45 AM
if it takes only a few days, i think it should fly over the Pats game next week (if it heads north) or another game elsewhere. "arial coverage for today's game courtesy of The Ron Paul Blimp. Google Ron Paul and Join the Revolution"
Heh, I don't seeing that being realistically possible, but definitely a novel thought. The publicity from that would be well worth the value of the investment.

RickNHouston
12-15-2007, 02:07 AM
Yeah, this is a good idea because if the blimp only circles the stadium in one direction, no one will see its nekked side.

Uh, So why is the blimp half nekked ? Anybdy know?

dmspilot00
12-15-2007, 02:22 AM
Uh, So why is the blimp half nekked ? Anybdy know? The options were to launch with one banner now, or put the second on which is a 5 hour process and possibly risk it getting stuck in the hangar for a couple of days due to wind. The "blimp company executives" chose the first option.

Ninja Homer
12-15-2007, 02:33 AM
That's it. You left out the waiver "criteria" though:

- FOR OPERATIONAL PURPOSES OF AN EVENT, STADIUM, OR OTHER VENUE, INCLUDING IN THE CASE OF A SPORTING EVENT THE TRANSPORT OF EQUIPMENT OR PARTS, TEAM MEMBERS, OFFICIALS OF THE GOVERNING BODY, THE IMMEDIATE FAMILY MEMBERS AND GUESTS OF SUCH TEAMS, AND OFFICIALS TO AND FROM THE EVENT, STADIUM, OR OTHER VENUE,
- FOR BROADCAST COVERAGE FOR ANY BROADCAST RIGHTS HOLDER
- FOR SAFETY AND SECURITY PURPOSES OF THE EVENT, STADIUM, OR OTHER VENUE.

THIS RESTRICTION DOES NOT APPLY TO THOSE AIRCRAFT AUTHORIZED BY ATC FOR OPERATIONAL OR SAFETY PURPOSES INCLUDING AIRCRAFT ARRIVING OR DEPARTING FROM AN AIRPORT USING STANDARD AIR TRAFFIC PROCEDURES

Add to this the fact that the stadium is in the surface area of Charlotte Douglas Airport's airspace and this idea seems very unlikely to happen.

Who's broadcasting the game? Ask them if they'd like to put a camera in the blimp for aerial shots of the game. Unlikely, yes, but only impossible if nobody asks.

Man from La Mancha
12-15-2007, 02:41 AM
Who's broadcasting the game? Ask them if they'd like to put a camera in the blimp for aerial shots of the game. Unlikely, yes, but only impossible if nobody asks.
I've asked that same question and no answer.

Tarzan
12-15-2007, 03:09 AM

We would need to offload our normal crew (videographer, guests, etc). We would need to be available for the pre-game, available for the duration of the game, on-load and off-load the film crew. Return to base (an hour flight in each direction) and reload our normal crew. We would also need to make arrangements with the NFL to have their official film crews onboard. Then there are getting the clearances for the crew from Homeland Security and the metro police. There would probably need to be a test of the broadcast equipment. All of this adds up to loads of time not including all the paper work and time required to get it done.

Being the "official blimp" at these types of games is a great idea. But, as with any of the planning that's going on, there are loads of factors which affect the final decision. Time, money, schedule and the effort to make the arrangements with someone like the NFL. We simply don't have the resources to get this done.

http://ronpaulideas.com/images/signatureblimp.png (http://RonPaulBlimp.com/)

Man from La Mancha
12-15-2007, 03:20 AM
We would need to offload our normal crew (videographer, guests, etc). We would need to be available for the pre-game, available for the duration of the game, on-load and off-load the film crew. Return to base (an hour flight in each direction) and reload our normal crew. We would also need to make arrangements with the NFL to have their official film crews onboard. Then there are getting the clearances for the crew from Homeland Security and the metro police. There would probably need to be a test of the broadcast equipment. All of this adds up to loads of time not including all the paper work and time required to get it done.

Being the "official blimp" at these types of games is a great idea. But, as with any of the planning that's going on, there are loads of factors which affect the final decision. Time, money, schedule and the effort to make the arrangements with someone like the NFL. We simply don't have the resources to get this done.

http://ronpaulideas.com/images/signatureblimp.png (http://RonPaulBlimp.com/)Thanks for the response. You don't think being on national TV with a mainly male audience and studies have shown that Ron has a 80% male base worth that? As for someone to do that many here have said they would offer their skills for free. Just wondering. Thanks for your help.

devil21
12-15-2007, 03:22 AM

LOL no point. FOX is broadcasting the game.

UtahApocalypse
12-15-2007, 10:36 AM
Anyone find it ironic that any plane can circle a NASCAR event for hours with no flight restrictions and those events have 2-3X the crowds of a NFL Stadium? Just shows how asinine our rules are.

V4Vendetta
12-15-2007, 10:54 AM
I'm not 100% sure on this, but I remember reading that there is a no fly zone for stadiums within a radius of 3 miles. Don't quote me on that though :p

Yeah, I think you're right... in October 2004 someone paid for a blimp to fly over a NFL game that said...

"IMPEACH BUSH" or something like that.... RIGHT after that, Homeland Security passed a law that made it illegal to fly around a stadium.... due to terrorism!

SPmachina033
12-15-2007, 11:11 AM
I just hope the blimp will atleast make it to one major football game because that would get so much attention. It must happen at some point!

dmspilot00
12-15-2007, 03:07 PM
Anyone find it ironic that any plane can circle a NASCAR event for hours with no flight restrictions and those events have 2-3X the crowds of a NFL Stadium? Just shows how asinine our rules are.
Major NASCAR events are included in the restriction. The really asinine part is that, because the restrictions aren't posted on a case by case basis, it is up to pilots to somehow inherently know where all these events are taking place along their route and to avoid them, lest the pilots get busted for flying through a flight restriction they didn't know existed.

devil21
12-15-2007, 03:57 PM
Just gotta keep donating to keep it in the air as much as possible!

UtahApocalypse
12-15-2007, 04:57 PM
Major NASCAR events are included in the restriction. The really asinine part is that, because the restrictions aren't posted on a case by case basis, it is up to pilots to somehow inherently know where all these events are taking place along their route and to avoid them, lest the pilots get busted for flying through a flight restriction they didn't know existed.

The granny warriors had no trouble having a banner towing plane at at least 2 races.

dmspilot00
12-15-2007, 05:37 PM
The granny warriors had no trouble having a banner towing plane at at least 2 races. They probably got a waiver, or were outside of the 3000'/3mi.

BeFranklin
12-15-2007, 09:46 PM

That would be impossible if people are already flying planes with Ron Paul banners on them and they are.

dmspilot00
12-15-2007, 09:52 PM
That would be impossible if people are already flying planes with Ron Paul banners on them and they are.
Uh, read the thread

BeFranklin
12-15-2007, 10:09 PM
My guess is nobody has had a chance to do the paperwork for it. Homeland security is probably involved, I'm sure there's a "suicide blimp" on page 937 of manual 3-E2. But seriously, it's probably major red tape.

What could be more American than asking for papers to travel. :mad: Thought the blimp was going to fight this stuff to raise awareness.