PDA

View Full Version : State Department abruptly cancels briefings on Iran, embassy security

Warlord
01-15-2020, 03:44 PM
This is a bit strange.. I wonder what their up to :confused:

The State Department abruptly canceled two classified congressional briefings Wednesday that were supposed to focus on embassy security and the U.S. relationship with Iran, Capitol Hill aides said, infuriating lawmakers and staffers seeking answers on the fallout from President Donald Trump's decision to kill a senior Iranian general.

“Staff are furious,” a House aide said about the scuttled embassy security session. “This briefing is required by law every month, and today's was the most important we've had scheduled in a long time. The State Department has given us no explanation whatsoever.”

A Senate aide said the Iran briefing was scheduled for the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. It was supposed to be given by senior State Department officials, including Iran special envoy Brian Hook and David Schenker, the assistant secretary of State for the Middle East.

"We know they will vaguely claim it was a logistical issue, even though this briefing had been already locked into the schedule for days," the Senate aide said.

Press aides to Secretary of State Mike Pompeo did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Wednesday.

The canceled briefing on embassy security was originally going to focus on the situation in the African country of Burundi. It was supposed to be held for lawmakers and staff of various national security-focused committees and House and Senate leadership, the House aide said.

At congressional staff’s request, the topic was broadened to cover embassy security in the wake of the U.S. drone strike that killed Iranian general Qassem Soleimani earlier this month, the House aide said.

The Trump administration has given varying explanations for why it decided to kill Soleimani, at times claiming the Iranian general was planning “imminent” attacks on Americans.

Trump has said he believes that Soleimani may have been plotting attacks on as many as four U.S. embassies. But Defense Secretary Mark Esper said on Sunday that he hadn't seen intelligence saying so.

Congressional staffers had planned to ask questions about the shifting explanations and wanted to receive a global threat assessment for U.S. personnel. The State Department agreed to provide the embassy security briefing, then said Tuesday that it would not do so, the House aide said.

Pompeo has already been the target of ire from House Democrats who asked him to appear for a public hearing earlier this week. He did not appear, instead traveling to California to deliver speeches, including an address about the U.S. relationship with Iran at Stanford University's Hoover Institute

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/01/15/state-department-cancels-embassy-security-meeting-099296

angelatc
01-15-2020, 04:20 PM
“This briefing is required by law...'' Heh.

Warlord
01-15-2020, 04:25 PM
Rand is on the Foreign Relations Committee. I bet they're scared stiff of him.

dannno
01-15-2020, 04:41 PM
Probably because it's not required anymore, the threat is over.

It's time for peace, so stop stoking the fires of war you two.

Warlord
01-15-2020, 04:46 PM

This aint over. Rand and other lawmakers have questions.

dannno
01-15-2020, 04:48 PM

Then maybe Rand should talk to Trump on the phone.

Warlord
01-15-2020, 04:52 PM
Then maybe Rand should talk to Trump on the phone.

He has and he told him to bring the troops home

https://youtu.be/g9tyCJCh6Jc

He won't listen thoiugh.

angelatc
01-15-2020, 04:53 PM

Why bother, though? At this point, truth is entirely random chance.

dannno
01-15-2020, 04:55 PM
Actually I'm not really opposed to Rand making a lot of noise about this, it could turn out very well. I know I have said I don't think he has all of the information, and I think that Trump's actions will lead us to the best and most peaceful outcome.

I don't think Trump did anything that crosses a line that hasn't been crossed millions of times in the last 25 years, and in fact it may be one of the few or only beneficial actions taken during that time.

But as long as Rand is trying to make it so that our country follows the Constitution more closely in the future, I don't see an issue with that.

Making it all about killing Soleimani, I just don't think that is the best argument.

I also think if Trump was able to explain everything he knew to Rand, that Rand would probably have a different opinion on this individual matter - but there is nothing wrong with steering the country toward a more Constitutional framework.

dannno
01-15-2020, 04:57 PM
He has and he told him to bring the troops home

He won't listen thoiugh.

The time will come..

Every time Trump announces he is bringing the troops home, the deep state stages some false flag or something.

Their days are numbered, though.

Danke
01-15-2020, 05:02 PM
“Staff are furious,”

Over a meeting being cancelled, sounds like some of them aren't very stable, probably should lose their clearances and fired.

Ender
01-15-2020, 05:25 PM

Read.

“This briefing is required by law every month, and today's was the most important we've had scheduled in a long time. The State Department has given us no explanation whatsoever.”

Swordsmyth
01-15-2020, 05:41 PM
The time will come..

Every time Trump announces he is bringing the troops home, the deep state stages some false flag or something.

Their days are numbered, though.
Trump wouldn't keep announcing it if he wasn't going to do it.
He would have stopped mentioning it and let most people forget he ever said it.

Warlord
01-15-2020, 05:46 PM
Trump wouldn't keep announcing it if he wasn't going to do it.
He would have stopped mentioning it and let most people forget he ever said it.

https://twitter.com/justinamash/status/1216774495022780426

timosman
01-15-2020, 06:10 PM
“Staff are furious,”

Over a meeting being cancelled, sounds like some of them aren't very stable, probably should lose their clearances and fired.

The staffers run the show. :tears:

angelatc
01-15-2020, 06:15 PM
Cancelling the press conference got two more GOP votes for Kaine's measure, meaning he now has enough votes to get it passed in the Senate. Collins, and Young, maybe?