PDA

View Full Version : Trump Is The Most Unpopular President Since Ford To Run For Reelection

Zippyjuan
01-07-2020, 02:37 PM
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/trump-is-the-most-unpopular-president-since-ford-to-run-for-reelection/

But his fate isn’t sealed yet.

Now that the 2020 election has gone from “next year” to “this year,” it’s worth taking a step back and asking a question that we first posed in early 2017: How popular is Donald Trump? After all, a president’s job approval rating can be predictive of his reelection chances, especially as November draws closer.

On Jan. 1, 42.6 percent of Americans approved of President Trump’s job performance, according to FiveThirtyEight’s presidential approval tracker (52.9 percent disapproved). That’s a pretty typical number for Trump (although it’s worth noting that, since Jan. 1, the U.S. and Iran have taken actions that could shake Trump’s approval rating loose from that anchor), but ominously for the president, that’s the second-lowest FiveThirtyEight average approval rating of any recent1 president on the first day of their reelection year. Only Gerald Ford (39.3 percent on Jan. 1, 1976) was less popular — and, of course, Ford lost that campaign to Jimmy Carter.

However, working in Trump’s favor is the fact that past presidents’ approval ratings have tended to shift over the course of the year — and sometimes by Election Day bear very little resemblance to their Jan. 1 approval. Those shifts haven’t tended to be predictable, either: Five of the last 11 presidents running for reelection saw their approval ratings rise during the year, and six saw them decline. So Trump’s low approval ratings as of January aren’t necessarily a problem for him in November. (For example, depending on how it unfolds, a potential conflict with Iran could certainly affect them.)

This is a good news/bad news situation for Trump: The smart money is against his approval rating budging very much, simply because he’s had a remarkably steady approval rating. As my colleague Geoffrey Skelley wrote last year, it’s fluctuated about 9 points over the course of his presidency — much less than most previous presidents’ approval ratings have fluctuated. Part of this is because of the very polarized era we live in, in which most voters have already made up their minds about what they think about the occupant of the White House. Take Barack Obama, who had a similarly intractable approval rating over the course of his presidency. From Jan. 1 to Nov. 6, 2012 — the year of his reelection campaign — his numbers ticked up by only 3.8 points. What this means in practical terms is that it’s increasingly difficult for presidents to win over new supporters.

That puts Trump in an unenviable but ambiguous position for reelection. Since Dwight D. Eisenhower, presidents with a FiveThirtyEight average approval rating2 of 48.4 percent or higher on Election Day all won their reelection campaigns, and presidents with a FiveThirtyEight average approval rating of 43.6 percent or lower all lost. If, in 10 months, Trump’s approval rating is still in the same range it has occupied for the past two years (roughly, between 39 percent and 43 percent), he would obviously fit into the latter group. And that would not bode well for his chances of being reelected; he’d have to hope for a Harry S. Truman-caliber upset. (The owner of a 39.6 percent approval rating on Nov. 2, 1948, Truman was widely predicted to lose the election but ended up narrowly defeating Thomas “Your Future Is Still Ahead Of You” Dewey.)

On the other hand, even a modest, Obama-esque improvement would put Trump in the purgatory between the presidents who won and the presidents who lost — between 43.6 percent and 48.4 percent. So in the end, Trump’s current approval rating doesn’t sound a clear signal one way or the other on the question of his reelection — but it does maybe hint that he starts off the new year at a disadvantage.

r3volution 3.0
01-07-2020, 03:05 PM
I suspect that a lot of the people who think a Trump victory in 2020 is nearly inevitable are basing that on Trump's surprising win in 2016.

And surprising it was, against the odds, but it was also incredibly close, a fact which seems to have been forgotten.

Trump may well win, but, if so, it'll be by a very slim margin once again.

Factors favoring A Trump win:
--He's maintained a hyper-enthusiastic base (though he hasn't grown it)
--He's the incumbent
--We could very well be in a serious war by election day

Opposite Factors:
--The Dems are more enthusiastic and less complacent than last time
--Some of the "he's not a politician, he's an outsider" new car smell has worn off for independents
--We could very well be in recession before election day

Altogether, I think the odds slightly favor the Dems, but much depends on who they nominate.

Todd
01-07-2020, 03:09 PM
highly debatable. GW was at 25% when he left office and his dad got into the high 20's himself. What poll are you using. I saw Trumps lowest low was around 35 and he's currently low 40's right now.

You might suggest Trump is the most unpopular with the left in history and swing that. But he is probably one of the most loved idiots to ever occupy the office by his fanboys.

Edit: I see..it's talking about reelection polls.

It's a nice thought, but the idiot Democrats and their willingness to follow Russiangate propaganda off a cliff have guaranteed him reelection.

kahless
01-07-2020, 03:23 PM
Too early yet to go by this statistic.

....working in Trump’s favor is the fact that past presidents’ approval ratings have tended to shift over the course of the year — and sometimes by Election Day bear very little resemblance to their Jan. 1 approval.

If we are at war with Iran and Bloomberg goes the anti-war route, Trump may have a problem beating him in the general. Especially if the war is going badly and the soft part of Trump's base sits home feeling betrayed on foreign intervention. The Neocons in both parties and whom dominate the news media love war so it will depend what they want more to drive the American voter in the direction they want. The choice being their war or their candidate.

I suspect however if Trump gains complete and safe control of all of Iran's nuclear facilities he can use that as keeping the world and America safe, keeping that soft part of his support that were not so keen on foreign intervention.

Then again nothing may come from this and will be forgotten in a few months from now, as we negotiate a deal with Iran. Bloomberg's gun grab and the Dems moving so far to the left will continue to turn off the majority of Americans giving Trump a solid win.

Warlord
01-07-2020, 03:30 PM
Fivethirtyeight gave Hillary Clinton a 97% chance of winning on the eve of the election in 2016.

Created4
01-07-2020, 03:41 PM
I don't know where Zippy inc. found this poll, but non-partisan Rasmussen polling has shown that since about Feb. 2018 Trump's approval rating has consistently been higher than Obama's during the same time in office for the first term.

https://m.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/trump_administration/prez_track_jan07

At the end of December 2019 Trump was at 48% and at the end of 2011 Obama was at 46%, and Obama was re-elected.

r3volution 3.0
01-07-2020, 04:55 PM
Fivethirtyeight gave Hillary Clinton a 97% chance of winning on the eve of the election in 2016.

Source?

I seem to recall more like 60% at the end.

I followed 538 pretty closely and don't recall the odds ever going above about 75%.

P.S. The page is still up and it turns out we're both wrong.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/

https://i.imgur.com/v0daJsu.png

As you can see, the final figure was 71.4%, with the high being 89.2% back in August, and the low being 49.9% in July.

Zippyjuan
01-07-2020, 08:19 PM
Source?

I seem to recall more like 60% at the end.

I followed 538 pretty closely and don't recall the odds ever going above about 75%.

P.S. The page is still up and it turns out we're both wrong.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/

https://i.imgur.com/v0daJsu.png

As you can see, the final figure was 71.4%, with the high being 89.2% back in August, and the low being 49.9% in July.

Their final "popular vote" poll had Clinton at 48.5% and Trump at 44.9%.

Actual popular vote: Clinton 48.5%, Trump 46.4%

https://www.cnn.com/election/2016/results/president

AngryCanadian
01-07-2020, 08:22 PM
Well if the clown decides to attack or to respond to Iran by this week. His going to be out, this war will be more unpopular then the Iraqi one.

Created4
01-07-2020, 08:32 PM
Well if the clown decides to attack or to respond to Iran by this week. His going to be out, this war will be more unpopular then the Iraqi one.

Yeah, the Iraqi war was so unpopular it cost Bush his re-election. Oh, wait....

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51X945QMKEL._SX311_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

AngryCanadian
01-07-2020, 08:35 PM
Yeah, the Iraqi war was so unpopular it cost Bush his re-election. Oh, wait....

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51X945QMKEL._SX311_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

it seems your miss understanding because of the Iraqi war it gave the democrats 8 years of power in both houses. Looks like history is going to be your teacher for those foolish thinking that a GOP will win in 2024.

Created4
01-07-2020, 08:44 PM
it seems your miss understanding because of the Iraqi war it gave the democrats 8 years of power in both houses. Looks like history is going to be your teacher for those foolish thinking that a GOP will win in 2024.

Not my foolish thinking. I am not making any predictions about 2024, and I certainly don't support war. Those who think war makes politicians unpopular are the ones thinking foolishly....

oyarde
01-07-2020, 08:58 PM
I suspect that a lot of the people who think a Trump victory in 2020 is nearly inevitable are basing that on Trump's surprising win in 2016.

And surprising it was, against the odds, but it was also incredibly close, a fact which seems to have been forgotten.

Trump may well win, but, if so, it'll be by a very slim margin once again.

Factors favoring A Trump win:
--He's maintained a hyper-enthusiastic base (though he hasn't grown it)
--He's the incumbent
--We could very well be in a serious war by election day

Opposite Factors:
--The Dems are more enthusiastic and less complacent than last time
--Some of the "he's not a politician, he's an outsider" new car smell has worn off for independents
--We could very well be in recession before election day

Altogether, I think the odds slightly favor the Dems, but much depends on who they nominate.

Once they nominate Bernie they lose the new car luster .

Warlord
01-08-2020, 12:04 AM
Trump only won by 70,000 votes in the swing states of MI, PA, WI etc. so it was very close. War or reckless behavior could see Bernie sweep the board.

TheTexan
01-08-2020, 01:09 AM
Fake news is fake. Trump is actually the most popular President, possibly of all time.