PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Know the legalities in starting a chip in??

DealzOnWheelz
12-14-2007, 09:18 PM
I'm trying to get the donations going for the National Treasure movie preview ads

And want to make sure nothing is shady. I know a Pac can only use $5000 per candidate per election cycle. So are there any other ways to get around the limit legally????

DealzOnWheelz
12-14-2007, 09:41 PM
bump

Mark
12-15-2007, 07:04 AM
I'm sure the answer's somewhere on the board or even the Internet. The FEC has a call in number for questions if nothing else.

Do you have an estimate of the cost?

j.b.
12-15-2007, 07:55 AM
Look at the link to see what caused the ChipIn for the Southern Illinoisan ad to have a problem

h ttp://carbondale.chipin.com/ron-paul-ad

Mark
12-15-2007, 10:25 AM
Look at the link to see what caused the ChipIn for the Southern Illinoisan ad to have a problem

h ttp://carbondale.chipin.com/ron-paul-ad

I had an idea.

Especially with a local chipin where the person starting it can be easily contacted in person if necessary,

given that one person can make unlimited "Independent Expenditures" per FEC regulations, (example: llepard's USA Today ad)

why not just have a chipin that is a gift to one trustworthy person?

To carefully observe FEC regulations, perhaps it shouldn't be for the ad, but just a personal gift to the person,
and then the one individual can spend the money as they see fit. Even on an ad.

For example, this time of year, people give gifts of money all the time,
and other times, there's nothing stopping someone from giving someone else money.

I can't see a problem with that as long as the gift isn't accepted with the implication that it's going for a political ad.

Maybe the person starting the chipin could even say like, I'm trying to save money to put an ad out,
but I can't afford to do that and pay my bills at the same time, so please help me pay my bills ect.

Just start a personal funds chipin, and be honest and trustworthy enough to spend the money in a meaningful way like an ad.

Mark
12-15-2007, 11:01 AM
I had an idea.

Especially with a local chipin where the person starting it can be easily contacted in person if necessary,

given that one person can make unlimited "Independent Expenditures" per FEC regulations, (example: llepard's USA Today ad)

why not just have a chipin that is a gift to one trustworthy person?

To carefully observe FEC regulations, perhaps it shouldn't be for the ad, but just a personal gift to the person,
and then the one individual can spend the money as they see fit. Even on an ad.

For example, this time of year, people give gifts of money all the time,
and other times, there's nothing stopping someone from giving someone else money.

I can't see a problem with that as long as the gift isn't accepted with the implication that it's going for a political ad.

Maybe the person starting the chipin could even say like, I'm trying to save money to put an ad out,
but I can't afford to do that and pay my bills at the same time, so please help me pay my bills ect.

Just start a personal funds chipin, and be honest and trustworthy enough to spend the money in a meaningful way like an ad.

Any thoughts on this?

What's can the FEC do if the chipin is expressly for a person's personal benefit.

How can they regulate how a individual spends their own money?

fortilite
12-15-2007, 11:08 AM
Don't say "vote for xxx" in the ad I think.

Or if you really feel like a fighter and a risk taker, don't use a PAC. If the FEC gives you shit challenge it on constitutional grounds. But you might wind up with a very big bill.

Mark
12-15-2007, 11:15 AM
Don't say "vote for xxx" in the ad I think.

Why not in the ad? That's basically what llepard did in the USA Today ad, and he spent 85-100K as an Independent Expenditure.

What someone would NOT want to do, is mention an ad in the chipin.

The chipin would be just for a personal monetary gift to the person themselves,
and then they could their own money the way they see fit, on an ad for example.

Of course, obviously the person receiving the money would have to be trustworthy enough to be a good steward of the money.

But, the point being, the FEC allows individuals to spend as much as they want as long as it's their own individual money.

And if they have enough individual money to buy an ad, it's all good per FEC regulations.

ronpaulyourmom
12-15-2007, 11:21 AM
Mark, it would be clearly seen as an attempt to side-step the finance laws. If this were going on behind closed doors you could try it, but out here in the open on the internet it's best to just go with the PAC route.

Dealz, I suggest you try contacting one of the existing PAC's and doing this with them. Have them run the chipin and pay the bill, you can coordinate the effort.

That way if we don't raise enough money for the project, I'll know my donation is still going towards something else as well.

DealzOnWheelz
12-15-2007, 11:22 AM
I don't think that is legal

I tried to email trevor to ask him about using the Company they made for the blimp

Then we could sponser ad time That is not illegal

I haven't heard from him

Does anyone have Trevor or Elijah's phone number
or know they're name on here

DealzOnWheelz
12-15-2007, 11:22 AM
a PAC can only spend $5000 per candidate per election cycle

Mark
12-15-2007, 11:24 AM
Or if you really feel like a fighter and a risk taker, don't use a PAC. If the FEC gives you shit challenge it on constitutional grounds. But you might wind up with a very big bill.

The whole point is not to have to use a PAC. It'd be an "Independent Expenditure".

The FEC allows any individual to spend as much as they want, as long as it's their own money.

And if someone wants to just give you money, that doesn't even come under FEC regulations.

The trick is in the wording of the chipin to avoid any mention of an ad.

i.e. Meetup "X" has an idea for an ad. Individual "Y" in Meetup "X" starts a chipin for their own individual monetary gain.

Then individual "Y" runs an ad with their own money.

I mean, you don't want to be obvious as to what's being done, but, as long as they're smart in the method used,
it should be easy to avoid FEC control quite legally.

Mark
12-15-2007, 11:29 AM
Mark, it would be clearly seen as an attempt to side-step the finance laws. If this were going on behind closed doors you could try it, but out here in the open on the internet it's best to just go with the PAC route.

Dealz, I suggest you try contacting one of the existing PAC's and doing this with them. Have them run the chipin and pay the bill, you can coordinate the effort.

That way if we don't raise enough money for the project, I'll know my donation is still going towards something else as well.

Indeed, stealth would be key in such a thing I suppose.

It was just a thought about "legalities", I'm certainly not trying to suggest anyone side-step finance laws.

Thank you for your insight.