PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else see the CBS News mention?

FreedomProsperityPeace
12-14-2007, 07:45 PM
They said something about Ron Paul and Romney hiring the Club For Growth to attack Huckabee. :confused:

FireofLiberty
12-14-2007, 07:55 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_video/main500251.shtml?id=3621385n

This?

FreedomProsperityPeace
12-14-2007, 07:58 PM
Yes. You beat me to posting it!

Correction: It says he recruited Arkansas legislators to slam Huckabee. I didn't catch it the first time on TV.

garrettwombat
12-14-2007, 08:01 PM
whaaat? i didnt think paul played like this?

TheNewYorker
12-14-2007, 08:02 PM
Ron Paul is teaming up with Romney, and this was probably Romney's idea.

angrydragon
12-14-2007, 08:03 PM
Has that been confirmed?

garrettwombat
12-14-2007, 08:05 PM

woah woah... this is terrible... not only is paul associating with neocons... he is trying to run an attack campaign???

this is very sad news.

FireofLiberty
12-14-2007, 08:05 PM
It didn't say they were teaming up, it just said both of them were doing it.

TheNewYorker
12-14-2007, 08:06 PM
Has that been confirmed?

That he's teaming up with Romney? No, but it seems obvious to me.

1) Ron Paul defends Romney and his religion in a press release.
2) Romney starts changing his views, says we need to follow the constitution.
3) Ron Paul now hires Club for Growth WITH Romney to attack Huckabee.

It's obvious Romney is going for a VP spot in Paul's campaign or vice versa.

TheNewYorker
12-14-2007, 08:07 PM
woah woah... this is terrible... not only is paul associating with neocons... he is trying to run an attack campaign???

this is very sad news.

You know Mitt Romney is a huge flip flop. He used to be a liberal, then he decided to be a neocon, I think now he's starting to be a libertarian.

Maybe he's really a libertarian at heart, like Ron Paul, and he's been awakened by Ron Paul's message and has changed his ways?

Sounds unlikely, but sometimes, bad people do turn into good people. For Ron Paul to be a little supportive of Romney, Paul obviously sees something in Romney that we don't.

FreedomProsperityPeace
12-14-2007, 08:08 PM
I don't put much stock in it because of the source. It just seems like they're framing this as "dirty tricks" on Ron Paul's part, with Huckabee as the "victim".

rfbz
One thing that strikes me is how open the Ron Paul campaign (and I guess Romney too) is being about this, they practically issued a press release saying they hired the guys to go down there and talk about Huckabee. Usually this kinda stuff is kept low key because candidates want to separate themselves from attack campaigning. For some reason they are drumming this up out in the open on purpose, it's not like they got caught trying to hire Huckabee bashers.

As far as being negative on other candidates, I don't feel this one is bad. It gets out in the open Huckabee's record - this is not a character assassination trying to pull up quotes from his elementary school teachers.

garrettwombat
1) Ron Paul defends Romney and his religion in a press release.
2) Romney starts changing his views, says we need to follow the constitution.
3) Ron Paul now hires Club for Growth WITH Romney to attack Huckabee.

It's obvious Romney is going for a VP spot in Paul's campaign or vice versa.

THIS IS BS

not only is romney a joke....

he is a neocon, a member of the CFR... and frankly, we dont need anyone for the VP position other than honest consistant people

aspiringconstitutionalist
As long as Ron Paul isn't making claims about other candidates' personal integrity or morals or religion, he has every right to point out the horrible flaws in another candidate's record. The majority of evangelicals have bought Huckabee hook line and sinker, and go about thinking being pro-life and hating gays makes someone "conservative." Somebody needs to wake them up.

FrankRep
12-14-2007, 08:09 PM
A RP supporter might have, but not Ron Paul himself.

Paulitician
12-14-2007, 08:09 PM
Maybe I was wrong. At first I did think it suspect that Romney seemed too nice around Ron Paul but I didn't WANT think anything would come of it. I suppose this is it.

If any of you are interested, check out this week's CounterSpin (http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=3229). It's a leftist program but I think it's good at calling out the MSM and there is a long piece on Huckabee.

TheNewYorker
12-14-2007, 08:11 PM
THIS IS BS

not only is romney a joke....

he is a neocon, a member of the CFR... and frankly, we dont need anyone for the VP position other than honest consistant people

I don't see anything that points to Romney being a member of the CFR.

And he was a neocon. So wasn't Tucker Carlson, but Tucker saw the light. I'm sure Romney can too.

TheNewYorker
12-14-2007, 08:12 PM
Maybe I was wrong. At first I did think it suspect that Romney seemed too nice around Ron Paul but I didn't WANT think anything would come of it. I suppose this is it.

Yeah. Ok understand this, I'm not saying Ron Paul will ask Romney to be his VP, but that is what Romney is trying to do now and trying to make happen. It's obvious.

Romney sees Ron Paul has a good chance at winning, and Romney is a young guy, he would very much like to be Ron Paul's VP because Romney knows it would help his odds of being president in the future.

steph3n
12-14-2007, 08:13 PM

And he was a neocon. So wasn't Tucker Carlson, but Tucker saw the light. I'm sure Romney can too.

Romney had publicly DENIED being a member of the CFR in utah. just FYI I also can't see anything saying he is a part of it outside of pure speculation.

Personally i think he'd make a great VP for administrative needs.

garrettwombat
12-14-2007, 08:14 PM

i dont care. yes he is a member of the CFR, im not sure how accurate my sources are but im damn sure he is.... he is inconsistent... is the biggest flip flopper i have EVER seen.
we dont need ANYONE like him running with this campaign when there are way better people that fit the job.

Ron Paul Fan
12-14-2007, 08:15 PM
It didn't say they were teaming up. They are just both sending people to slam Huckabee. I applaud the decision to spread the message about that MONSTER Mike Huckabee. The people of Iowa need to hear how he raised taxes on everything from gas to nursing home beds. They need to hear about how he lobbied to release Wayne Dumond and Glen Green from prison. I don't get where you read that Paul has teamed up with Romney. They just both have a similar interest- Eliminate Huckabee!!!!!

garrettwombat
12-14-2007, 08:16 PM
Romney is OBVIOUSLY trying to weasel his way into the campaign so he can promote the neocon agenda in a vice presidency.

HE IS A FLIP FLOPPER... the most inconsistent man i have ever seen... his ideas are completely anti-constitutional.

whats to say he isnt playing a trick.... im not falling for this shit... there is no way.

steph3n
12-14-2007, 08:17 PM
i dont care. yes he is a member of the CFR, im not sure how accurate my sources are but im damn sure he is.... he is inconsistent... is the biggest flip flopper i have EVER seen.
we dont need ANYONE like him running with this campaign when there are way better people that fit the job.

i agree there are better people, but the more i see I DO NOT think he is CFR

saahmed
12-14-2007, 08:17 PM
Is this part of the "secret strategy"? Paul has been getting quite a bit of attention for this move. TV, news articles. The AP article about this was in the U. of Iowa paper today. I recall one of the "insiders" saying that the MSM would be promoting Paul without even knowing it. And it's true, he is getting his name mentioned, and the fact that he is hiring people to attack a frontrunner suggests that he has frontrunner status. While I don't agree with the negative campaigning, it is a brilliant way of getting attention.

garrettwombat
12-14-2007, 08:18 PM
ron paul shouldnt be hiring out attack campaigns on people... this election will be won in an honest way... not by attacking anyone...

let the neocons attack each other til they all fall one by one while paul is left standing.

TheNewYorker
12-14-2007, 08:19 PM
we dont need ANYONE like him running with this campaign

Mitt Romney is polling in first place in most states. Him being RP's VP would seal the deal for Ron Paul winning.

steph3n
12-14-2007, 08:20 PM
and ron paul shouldnt be hiring out attack campaigns on people... this election will be won in an honest way... not by attacking anyone...

let the neocons attack each other til they all fall one by one while paul is left standing.

It was needed, Fred is asleep, Rudy has given up in IA, romney is burning his own cash :D

Paulitician
12-14-2007, 08:20 PM
Yeah. Ok understand this, I'm not saying Ron Paul will ask Romney to be his VP, but that is what Romney is trying to do now and trying to make happen. It's obvious.

Romney sees Ron Paul has a good chance at winning, and Romney is a young guy, he would very much like to be Ron Paul's VP because Romney knows it would help his odds of being president in the future.
You're speculating too much about this. I think they're probably becoming friends for whatever reason, or maybe just acquaintances for the time being. That alone I never thought would happen. But that is as far as it goes right now.

steph3n
12-14-2007, 08:21 PM
You're speculating too much about this. I think they're probably becoming friends for whatever reason, or maybe just acquaintances for the time being. That alone I never thought would happen. But that is as far as it goes right now.

money = respect

that is what is boils down to, and they KNOW paul has the funds to back up what he says.

FireofLiberty
12-14-2007, 08:22 PM
I see no evidence that Romney and Ron Paul, as a team, recruited people to hit Huckabee. That's not what the CBS clip says. It says both of them have done it, but not that they have as a team. The clip also does not say they hired Club for Growth, but Arkansas Legislators.

Ozwest
12-14-2007, 08:22 PM
Ron Paul and Mitt Romney will never run on the same ticket, and there is nothing under-handed about paying the room and board of Arkansas legislators when they are speaking power to truth. Especially when you inform the press corp of your intentions.

Ron Paul Fan
12-14-2007, 08:23 PM
Did you just expect Ron Paul to sit back and let people run him over? NO! Didn't you read about the attack ad he ran the morning of the election when he was running for Congress to beat Bob Gammage? A little girl saying that Gammage would let the rapists and murderers out of prison! Gee, that sounds familiar! Down with Huckabee! Attack him! Go Ron Paul!

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=15016924

Nancy A
12-14-2007, 08:23 PM
Wasn't there a post here that mentioned how chummy RP and Romney were after the Iowa debate? I dismissed it at the time--but who knows?

Paulitician
12-14-2007, 08:26 PM
I see no evidence that Romney and Ron Paul, as a team, recruited people to hit Huckabee. That's not what the CBS clip says. It says both of them have done it, but not that they have as a team. The clip also does not say they hired Club for Growth, but Arkansas Legislators.
Yes, thank you for bringing clarity to the discussion.

However, I feel and many others feel that there is something suspect of Ron Paul's and Mitt Romney's new found friendliness (and there are many statements as well as photos to help support that perception, as well as this which, though does not show they're teaming up, shows they have a common goal at this point). Who knows what that will bring, if anything.

Ozwest
12-14-2007, 08:27 PM
Make no mistake, Romney would garrot Ron Paul, given half a chance.

me3
12-14-2007, 08:28 PM
ron paul shouldnt be hiring out attack campaigns on people... this election will be won in an honest way... not by attacking anyone...

Dr. Paul is a tough and veteran campaigner. He knows exactly when to make a move, against whom, and for maximum effect.

The reality is that we're in a strong 3rd position in IA, and could move up to second if Huckabee falters.

I would have a problem with this, if it wasn't about honesty.

But the reality is that Huckabee lies, and evades a lot of questions on his questionable past. If you don't want Mike to be the President, someone has to let the people know what he is really all about.

TheNewYorker
12-14-2007, 08:29 PM
Wasn't there a post here that mentioned how chummy RP and Romney were after the Iowa debate? I dismissed it at the time--but who knows?

Yeah. Call me a heretic but it's so obvious now Paul and Romney are teaming up. Even if it's only to knock huckabee out of the election.

Look, say what you want about Romney, but I trust Ron Paul, and Paul knows what he's doing. If he sees some good in Romney, who are we to judge?

Just Come Home
12-14-2007, 08:30 PM
It makes me laugh at the naive posters here complaining about the campaign taking an aggressive move to tell the TRUTH about Hucakbee.

Paulitician
12-14-2007, 08:30 PM
This was the picture that was shown in the other thread, yesterday I think.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/076iaEYcGTeUo/610x.jpg

There's another picture I saw that surprised somewhere else on the Internet. I'll try looking for it.

steph3n
12-14-2007, 08:31 PM
This was the picture that was shown in the other thread, yesterday I think.

There's another picture I saw that surprised somewhere else on the Internet. I'll try looking for it.

Dr Paul is looking much more snappy in that suit :D

I trust him, I trust his judgement.

Ozwest
12-14-2007, 08:32 PM
I suppose Ron would have shaken Rudys hand also.

conner_condor
12-14-2007, 08:34 PM
I see nothing wrong with informing people of the truth. This is an election for POTUS. It is very serious. People should know the truth about the candidates. They need to know that Huck is a 2 faced squirming lier.

conner_condor
12-14-2007, 08:35 PM

Looks like rudy is ready to shat his pants there. Ok OK here comes boys..:D:D

FireofLiberty
12-14-2007, 08:36 PM
It seems that Romney has always been more friendly to Ron than the others and this is nothing new and it's also meaningless. Remember way back when Ron was on The Daily Show and Stewart asked him about Romney and Ron said that "he said 'hi'," indicating he had been cordial to him.

If you take things like pictures too seriously and make them out to mean something that they don't you might get the idea that Ron and Giuliani are now the best of friends from this picture:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/graphics/2007/12/12/wuspols3.jpg

I hope everyone sees my point: stop jumping to conclusions.

theoddmonkey
12-14-2007, 08:37 PM
As long as Ron Paul isn't making claims about other candidates' personal integrity or morals or religion, he has every right to point out the horrible flaws in another candidate's record. The majority of evangelicals have bought Huckabee hook line and sinker, and go about thinking being pro-life and hating gays makes someone "conservative." Somebody needs to wake them up.

QFT

FireofLiberty
12-14-2007, 08:39 PM

Let's be clear about this: Recruiting =/= hiring. The CBS clip says he recruited them, not hired them. There is a key difference.

As I understand it, he's just paying for their room and board. I see no problem with that. Frankly, I'd see no problem with him paying them a small fee either to help spread the truth about Huckabee, because make no mistake about it -- that's exactly what they're doing. They are spreading the truth.

Paulitician
12-14-2007, 08:39 PM
It seems that Romney has always been more friendly to Ron than the others and this is nothing new and it's also meaningless. Remember way back when Ron was on The Daily Show and Stewart asked him about Romney and Ron said that "he said 'hi'," indicating he had been cordial to him.

If you take things like pictures too seriously and make them out to mean something that they don't you might get the idea that Ron and Giuliani are now the best of friends from this picture:

That picture isn't at all special though.

conner_condor
12-14-2007, 08:40 PM
Let's be clear about this: Recruiting =/= hiring. The CBS clip says he recruited them, not hired them. There is a key difference.

As I understand it, he's just paying for their room and board. I see no problem with that. Frankly, I'd see no problem with him paying them a small fee either to help spread the truth about Huckabee, because make no mistake about it -- that's exactly what they're doing. They are spreading the truth.

Do they put things to RP before they do these things also?

Tedhunter
12-14-2007, 08:43 PM

Huckabee is misrepresenting himself - essentially lying to garner support. Ron Paul is simply taking action to call him out on it. This isn't smearing or mudslinging - it's turning the searing light of truth onto this vampire, who's currently feeding off the mindless religious right. Count Huckula deserves every bit of "negative" attention he has earned for himself.

FireofLiberty
12-14-2007, 08:43 PM
That picture isn't at all special though.

Although I doubt it's the case, it looks like Ron may have his arm around Rudy.

It's certainly more special than that picture of him shaking Romney's hand after the debate in front of Rudy. What's the big deal with that?

TheNewYorker
12-14-2007, 08:45 PM

Actually, if you look at that photo, you can see Ron Paul and Romney are both in about the same position in the group, with 2 people on their side and one in the middle.

Paulitician
12-14-2007, 08:46 PM
Duncan Hunter has his arm behind McCain. Nothing special.

LibertyEagle
12-14-2007, 08:46 PM

Please stop spreading lies. :(

FireofLiberty
12-14-2007, 08:47 PM
Actually, if you look at that photo, you can see Ron Paul and Romney are both in about the same position in the group, with 2 people on their side and one in the middle.

A PATTERN IN THE ORDER OF PEOPLE ON THE STAGE!11!!!11! IT'S A CONSPIRACY11!!!111!!

DO YOU HEAR THAT!? IT'S THE BLACK HELICOPTERS!!11! PUT ON YOUR TINFOIL HATS!!11!!!

I mean, really, you actually think that means something?

FireofLiberty
12-14-2007, 08:47 PM
Duncan Hunter has his arm behind McCain. Nothing special.

I agree. That's my point. There's nothing special about any of these pictures so we should stop pretending there is and stop seeing things that aren't there.

rpfreedom08
12-14-2007, 08:51 PM
A PATTERN IN THE ORDER OF PEOPLE ON THE STAGE!11!!!11! IT'S A CONSPIRACY11!!!111!!

DO YOU HEAR THAT!? IT'S THE BLACK HELICOPTERS!!11! PUT ON YOUR TINFOIL HATS!!11!!!

I mean, really, you actually think that means something?

lol hahaha too funny. You guys need to lay off the friday crack rock :) If anything they both see that the media is fucking them both. So what if they do a little "truth telling" about huckaboo?

FireofLiberty
12-14-2007, 08:53 PM
The pattern in the order of people on stage is actually a signal to the Illuminati.

And OMFG is that Hunter looking towards McCain and smiling? WHAT COULD IT MEAN!? ARE HUNTER AND McCAIN....

...DATING!? :eek:

bbartlog
12-14-2007, 08:55 PM

I hate to burst the bubble of those who think Paul is some sort of saint who would never say anything bad about his opponents, but some of his previous campaigns for Congress have also involved attacks and negative ads on his opponents. While I expect that Paul is a lot more comfortable arguing about ideas and principles, I personally have no problem with his campaign manager arranging to put a (metaphorical) stiletto in someone. As long as the accusations are accurate.

cac1963
12-14-2007, 08:56 PM
Huckabee is misrepresenting himself - essentially lying to garner support. Ron Paul is simply taking action to call him out on it. This isn't smearing or mudslinging - it's turning the searing light of truth onto this vampire, who's currently feeding off the mindless religious right. Count Huckula deserves every bit of "negative" attention he has earned for himself.

It would be great for Paul to mention that he feels obliged to have these people speak out about Huckabee, since the media won't do the job the public needs and expects them to do.

rpfreedom08
lol this is great! I don't mean to be laughing though because I know what it's like to be laughed at when your trying to tell someone truths like the trans texas corridor and the agenda of the cfr but common, lets stop where the facts stop.

The pattern in the order of people on stage is actually a signal to the Illuminati.

And OMFG is that Hunter looking towards McCain and smiling? WHAT COULD IT MEAN!? ARE HUNTER AND McCAIN....

...DATING!? :eek:

conner_condor

Well hes moving closer to the middle anyway.

steph3n
12-14-2007, 08:58 PM

Well hes moving closer to the middle anyway.

That wasn't what you said initially :D

However it is very accurate he is no longer the bookend. That is reserved for the likes of tancredo and hunter now. Paul is right out in the middle here recently.

that is much more interesting than any "handshakes" or friendliness that is seen

dirka
12-14-2007, 09:04 PM
Its propoganda!! They showed a 2 second clip of paul that was un-related, and then they talked to some of his people about how they are going to show the truth about Yuckabee. How is that teaming up with a neo-con???

RedLightning
12-14-2007, 09:04 PM
Alot of you guys are reading way too much into pictures.

Corydoras
12-14-2007, 11:32 PM
This thing about looking closely at the pictures reminds me of the old-time Sovietologists looking at the lineup of the politicians at the May Day parades and trying to figure out the current power structure of the Kremlin.

Pete Kay
12-14-2007, 11:45 PM
Mormons are traditionally very libertarian and hold the Constitution to be a divinely inspired work of God. They believe in non-intervention and following the Constitution strictly as it was written. Read some of the writings of their most famous recent leader, Ezra Taft Benton. He sounds like Ron Paul.

I recently read an article showing that there is a big Mormon following for Ron Paul and that many Mormons are not happy with Mitt Romney and his unconstitutional views. Maybe Mitt has realized this and flip flopped to Ron Paul's side. I personally think this is great, because Ron Paul can use more allies.

AlexAmore
12-15-2007, 12:12 AM
Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.

Ron Paul is a pro and I'm sure he knows what he is doing when he acts nice to Romney. Maybe Romney being friendly to Paul makes Paul look good to the Mormons? Like someone said, Mormons can be constitutional in their beliefs.

smtwngrl
12-15-2007, 02:02 AM
lol at all of the speculation in this thread. :D

I'm sure Ron Paul is nice to anyone who is nice to him; and perhaps Romney is more personable to Ron than we knew.

Certainly Ron Paul stood up for Romney when it came to the issue of religion. (He was just doing the right thing to do, saying Romney should be judged by his record and character, not religion.) And Romney certainly may benefit from what Ron is doing right now.

But he had better watch out. He could be next. :D

john_anderson_ii
12-15-2007, 02:13 AM
we dont need anyone for the VP position other than honest consistant people

We got lucky and found one of those in D.C. and now you want to find another? Good luck with that, and bring a pair of waders for when the sh*t gets too deep. :D

syborius
12-15-2007, 02:18 AM
all this stuff still sounds like misinfo. I doubt he would hire anyone for this purpose. Could be just bad spin meant to put RP in a bad light. He vowed not to go negative, and keep the campaign positive. I highly doubt the veracity of this info.

Cali4RonPaul
12-15-2007, 02:26 AM
Wow people, some of us are really jumping around with speculation here.. Way too much looking into this..

Korey Kaczynski
12-15-2007, 02:27 AM

this is very sad news.

It was obvious there were going to be attack ads.

Why the hell shouldn't there be? We're here to win, not be "honorable" and lose elections (like Huck may be).

Nash
12-15-2007, 02:35 AM
It was obvious there were going to be attack ads.

Why the hell shouldn't there be? We're here to win, not be "honorable" and lose elections (like Huck may be).

Ron Paul is a politician. Yes he's the most honest, straightforward, ethical person in congress, but he still has to run a campaign here. That means he runs attack ads when it is politically wise to do so.

This is nothing new. He's run them plenty of times when he was going after his congressional seat.

Richandler
12-15-2007, 02:48 AM
If you don't run an attack ad most people will find no flaws in their candidates. Attack ads reach voters who never watch the news.

Young_Apprentice
What's wrong with exposing Huckabee for what he is? Huckabee is a danger to this country and after 30 years in politics, Ron knows how gullible and ignorant people can be. In my opinion, not exposing Huckabee would be immoral.

Think about it, President Huckabee...

tsetsefly
This is not an attack, its great that someone is out there showing the huckster's record, how else would they know what he did. A smear campaign usually involves telling lies, not the truth, this is all truth!

Eric21ND
12-15-2007, 04:47 AM
I think this speculation is quite funny.

I like how Romney now wants to be our VP...wow how the tides have turned. lol

Second_Tier_My_Ass
12-15-2007, 05:06 AM
One thing that strikes me is how open the Ron Paul campaign (and I guess Romney too) is being about this, they practically issued a press release saying they hired the guys to go down there and talk about Huckabee. Usually this kinda stuff is kept low key because candidates want to separate themselves from attack campaigning. For some reason they are drumming this up out in the open on purpose, it's not like they got caught trying to hire Huckabee bashers.

Keep in mind, doing something like this is only scandalous if it's kept a secret and then outed by the media. If there is open, honest, and most importantly, justifiable attacks from one campaign to another, it makes it very hard to criticize. Haven't you noticed how the media is bashing Huckabee relentlessly lately? Furthermore, the last thing the old media wants to do is admit that a front running candidate like Romney would need to receive the help of such a low-tier candidate such as RP. Romney is risking a lot with his association to RP, and even though we don't very much like Romney, RP has nothing to gain but his assocation to him.

I fully support RP working with any other candidate in an attempt to openly "attack" the front runners in order to level the playing field between the neocon vote, as long as it's done in an honest way, meaning we expose facts about their past voting records and bad policy decisions, and not call them out on their religious beliefs. We don't need to agree with them to work with them. The enemy of my enemy is my friend. It will only help RP, and if he continues doing this in the way that he has been, it will be impossible for the media to criticize him for it.

RonPaulCentral
12-15-2007, 06:58 AM
I don't put much stock in it because of the source. It just seems like they're framing this as "dirty tricks" on Ron Paul's part, with Huckabee as the "victim".

Better then Huckelberry getting elected and US being the "victim".

manny
12-15-2007, 07:01 AM
Just telling the truth about Huck isn't an attack or a smear or anything else bad like that. They're just pointing out Huck's record:

-increased taxes
-released rapists
-wants a nanny-state
-has been at the centre of one scandal after another

There's no way Huck will point these things out about himself. I'm opposed to unfair attack ads that are too personal or involve another's family etc. But this is way short of that - it's just telling the truth on a political record - that's 1/2 of what political campaigning is.

LibertyOfOne
12-15-2007, 07:14 AM
As for Ron Paul "defending" Mitt's choice of religion. He would do the same if Huckabee was being attacked in that way.

Johnnybags
12-15-2007, 07:22 AM
How about a Paul/Romney ticket. Mitt can learn for 8 years, he is young enough to wait. And he has the fortune which combined with Pauls grassroots will walk into the Whitehouse in a landslide. Its obvious the MSM and powers that be want a Clinton/Obama vs Ghouls/Huck ticket. I also predict a Bloomberg run is for 100 percent sure as an independent. He is simply waiting for the Wall St crisis to "bloom".

Duckman
12-15-2007, 07:33 AM
I'm opposed to the idea of a Paul/<any neocon> ticket.

I think this is a case of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend." The fact is, Huckabee has managed to catch the hearts and minds of evangelicals. In this race, where all the candidates are weak for one reason or another, this could be the "breakout" necessary to win it all.

I agree with the sentiment that Ron Paul should stay away from negative campaigning. He has done basically no negative campaigning to date, in sharp contrast to everyone else (has Fred Thompson done anything BUT negative campaigning?) However, I think Huckabee is a real threat to win the nomination, and it is all built on the lies he has fed to people to whom the Huckster knows how to sweet talk.

I think Ron Paul has a good strategy here. It's not the politics of "personal destruction," like trying to claim someone is a drug dealer or follows a religion that reveres Satan. He is just bringing people up from Arkansas to tell the truth about what it was like to have the Huckster as governor.

Duckman
12-15-2007, 07:36 AM
Also, for those who think Ron likes Romney, go back and watch the Ron Paul Daily Show appearance, if it's still on Youtube. I recall Jon Stewart remarking to Ron Paul that he particularly dislikes Romney, because he feels Romney is one of these people who will say anything to get political power (an observation I agree with).

Ron responded by saying, "yeah, but he's at the top of the polls? What does that mean?"