PDA

View Full Version : Wikipedia censors trying to protect Hunter Biden

libertyvidz
11-01-2019, 08:30 AM
If you know how Wikipeia works, it's not the "anybody can edit" free-for-all people think it is. Yes anyone can edit most pages. Some pages get "locked" so that they cannot be edited. If you create a login, you can over the years build up seniority . With that seniority you can "police" (actually bully) lessor known "mortals" to twist truth to your fancy.

That is what is happening now with the Hunter Biden page. At first it was locked. They didn't even have on there that he was discharged from the Navy for cocaine use. They ultimately allowed that. But now the fight is over whether his page will allow the quote FROM HUNTER BIDEN where he admitted that he likely would not have gotten the Burisma job except for the fact that his dad is Joe Biden. Reasoning for this censorshp?

Quotation is being used out of context. The article outlines his prior experience and suitability to the role, his comment regarding his name enabling him to get the job has a context that is being ignored here in order to create a synthetic argument not made by the source.

Also his current Wikipedia page has this statement:

In July 2019, Trump ordered the freezing of $391 million in military aid[45] shortly before a telephone conversation with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky in which Trump asked Zelensky to initiate an investigation of the Bidens.[46][47] Trump falsely told Zelensky that "[Joe] Biden went around bragging that he stopped the prosecution" of his son; Joe Biden did not stop any prosecution, did not brag about doing so, and there is no evidence his son was ever under investigation.

Any attempt to add context by linking to the video where Joe Biden does brag about getting the prosecutor fired who was investigating Burisma is blocked as "irrelevant."

So, are there any Wikipedia editors willing to help take the infowar there? We can spend all of our time arguing with each other about how great/horrible Donald Trump is or isn't, but that what does that accomplish? And occasionally we win small victories at Wikipedia. After Charlie Sheen was on the Alex Jones show and later had a mental breakdown, his Wikipedia page had more smear on it then information about his acting career. I got this comment on my talkback page:

The Barnstar of Diligence

Just wanted to commend you on your efforts on the Charlie Sheen article. We've done a good job my friend! Article actually isn't a defamatory bunch of lies now and reads pretty well! Congrats :) - Glen TC (Stollery) 19:48, 25 May 2006 (UTC)

Warlord
11-01-2019, 08:35 AM
Thanks for this info. I donate from time to time to Wikipedia and now i'm going to stop.

enhanced_deficit
11-01-2019, 08:48 AM
Until recently had not known anything about Hunter, saw his interview clip on Foxnews few days ago that mong things was about nepotism, foreign interference in US politics etc. Was very disappointed when he called a widely respected member of sitting First family "Prince Humperdink (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?540576-Conservative-rising-star-Donald-Jr-says-USMCA-(NAFTA-2-0)-great-for-US&p=6877697&viewfull=1#post6877697)".

Political differences aside, polite etiquitte should be oberved by people on all sides of the aisle or nepotism/collusion/political bribery debates etc. I don't see Hunter carrying that torch of Biden dynasty... unlike Don Jr who has shown great potential already to continue MAGA revolution.

AngryCanadian
11-01-2019, 09:34 AM
Not a surprise. No wonder colleges and Unvis tell students not to use Wikipedia.

jmdrake
11-01-2019, 10:03 AM
Not a surprise. No wonder colleges and Unvis tell students not to use Wikipedia.

Wikipedia is a better source than what most colleges and universities accept as sources. (Encyclopedia Britannica. CNN. Time. Newsweek) The bias at WP is a symptom of the problem rather than the problem itself.

jmdrake
11-01-2019, 10:05 AM
Thanks for this info. I donate from time to time to Wikipedia and now i'm going to stop.

That's good. But I think the OP was asking for help in editing pages rather than a boycott of Wikipedia.

Superfluous Man
11-01-2019, 10:12 AM
Wikipedia is a better source than what most colleges and universities accept as sources. (Encyclopedia Britannica. CNN. Time. Newsweek) The bias at WP is a symptom of the problem rather than the problem itself.

I have a generally favorable view of wikipedia. I use it all the time. It's usually the first link I check when I'm researching anything that I want to get introduced to at a basic level. And I take for granted that I can't just implicitly trust it. I read it critically and use it as a gateway to more research.

When I taught college students I initially told them that I thought there was nothing wrong with them including wikipedia in their research. They just had to know how to use it critically, and not rely on it as an authoritative source on its own.

Eventually I regretted that. Most of my students had an approach to research that was just foreign to me. They literally never set foot in a library. They wanted to do 100% of their research on the internet. And they had no concept at all of how to evaluate their sources critically. I came to see why other professors told students not to use wikipedia. They learned from the experience of grading horrible papers that it was a crutch they needed to take away from their students.

Anti Globalist
11-01-2019, 11:05 AM
Not surprising one bit that Wikipedia would protect the Bidens.

SimmerDown
11-01-2019, 11:14 AM
Wikipedia is great for non-controversial topics. Anything that people get riled up about, e.g., war, politics and religion it's not so good.

==================================

I. Don't lie.
II. Don't cheat.
III. Don't steal.
IV. Don't kill.
V. Don't commit adultery.
VI. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
VII. Honor your Mother and Father.
VIII. Remember the sabbath and keep it Holy.
IX. Don't use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
X. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

Swordsmyth
11-01-2019, 04:43 PM

Good, they are a den of lies on any topic that isn't scientific or trivial. (and on some of those)