PDA

View Full Version : Federal judge declares Trump border proclamation unlawful

Zippyjuan
10-11-2019, 01:20 PM
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/465449-federal-judge-declares-trump-border-proclamation-unlawful

A federal judge in Texas declared on Friday that President Trump's proclamation of a national emergency on the southern border is unlawful, blocking the plan to divert funding for a border wall.

Judge David Briones of the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas said in his opinion that the plan would be blocked after getting input from both sides in a lawsuit for the scope of an injunction.

The lawsuit was brought by El Paso County in Texas and a group called the Border Network for Human Rights.

Swordsmyth
10-11-2019, 03:57 PM
Leftist judges will say anything to legislate from the bench, this will be overruled.

Zippyjuan
10-11-2019, 03:58 PM
Leftist judges will say anything to legislate from the bench, this will be overruled.

Rand Paul is a leftist (he agreed with the court)?

Swordsmyth
10-11-2019, 04:09 PM
Rand Paul is a leftist (he agreed with the court)?
Link?

I doubt he agreed with the reasoning, the left will not rule that Congress can't delegate powers to the President for emergencies.

Zippyjuan
10-11-2019, 04:17 PM
Link?

I doubt he agreed with the reasoning, the left will not rule that Congress can't delegate powers to the President for emergencies.

I included a tweet from him on the issue. I guess you didn't read that far in the lengthy post.

Swordsmyth
10-11-2019, 04:24 PM
I included a tweet from him on the issue. I guess you didn't read that far in the lengthy post.
Firefox/Waterfox doesn't show tweets so I didn't see it, but now that you told me I looked and found it.
That's not a tweet of him agreeing with the judge, it's an old tweet of him saying he was opposed when Trump declared the emergency.

So I say again: I doubt he agreed with the reasoning, the left will not rule that Congress can't delegate powers to the President for emergencies.

Until the courts declare all delegated powers unconstitutional or Congress retracts them this ruling is wrong and will not stand.

Zippyjuan
10-11-2019, 04:30 PM
Firefox/Waterfox doesn't show tweets so I didn't see it, but now that you told me I looked and found it.
That's not a tweet of him agreeing with the judge, it's an old tweet of him saying he was opposed when Trump declared the emergency.

So I say again: I doubt he agreed with the reasoning, the left will not rule that Congress can't delegate powers to the President for emergencies.

Until the courts declare all delegated powers unconstitutional or Congress retracts them this ruling is wrong and will not stand.

Both Rand and the court said it was an unlawful use of power.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/district-court-rules-against-trump-border-wall-case

The U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas found President Trump’s proclamation declaring a national emergency at the southern border to be unlawful, ruling that the use of funds for this project violates the Consolidated Appropriations Act. The judge granted summary judgment in favor of the plaintiffs and called on them to file a “proposed preliminary injunction” specifying the scope of said injunction with ten days, after which the Trump administration is directed to respond. The court opinion can be found here and below.

Opinion at the link

And Rand:

on the grounds that it’s an abuse of executive power

https://www.paul.senate.gov/news/dr-rand-paul-releases-statement-national-emergency-vote

Today, U.S. Senator Rand Paul (R-KY) released the following statement after voting to disapprove of the national emergency declaration regarding the border:

“I stand with President Trump on the need for a border wall and stronger border security, but the Constitution clearly states that money cannot be spent unless Congress has passed a law to do so.”

Rand voted twice in the Senate to revoke Trump's declared emergency he tried to use to seize the funds Congress did not appropriate for his wall.

Swordsmyth
10-11-2019, 04:35 PM
Both Rand and the court said it was an unlawful use of power.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/district-court-rules-against-trump-border-wall-case

Opinion at the link

And Rand:

Rand voted twice in the Senate to revoke Trump's declared emergency he tried to use to seize the funds Congress did not appropriate for his wall.
Why it might be an abuse of power is an important difference, the lying demoncrat judge is trying to use an excuse that will allow the left to do whatever it wants in the future, Rand's reasoning would prevent any President from using the power.