PDA

View Full Version : Conversation with a Fredhead (80% converted)

sluggo
12-14-2007, 03:42 PM
At work today I had a conversation with a co-worker who is another RP supporter. Another co-worker chimed in, "Oh yeah. Vote for Ron Paul, and then go hug a tree."

I asked him where did he get the idea that Ron Paul was a tree hugger, and he replied that it was the Love/Revolution sign that made him automatically associate Ron Paul with some sort of New Agey/Hippy ideals. I responded, "Well, Ron Paul is no tree hugger. He's the most pro-gun candidate running, and he happens to have more military support than any other candidate." I could see the look on the guys face slowly changing.

He told me that he wants Fred to win, but doesn't think that he has a chance. I said that I didn't think that Fred was really into it, and was put up to it by people who wanted it a lot more than he did. I started saying that just because Ron Paul is against the war, the doesn't mean that he's weak. The guy finally admitted that the reason for Iraq was BS, and really had nothing to do with our security.

The guy went on to say that Ron Paul sounded good, but was probably just saying that stuff to get elected. I told him to go look up Dr. Paul's voting record, and explained why he was called "Dr. No".

The conversation ended up with me saying that Ron basically wants to protect the Constitution, protect gun rights, end the war, end the IRS, and keep the Federal government off of our backs, and let the states decide what's best for them.

Turns out that this guy is a huge Civil War buff, and really got into the States Rights/Gun Rights aspects of Ron Paul. I'm taking him some literature on Monday.

So what I got from this experience is that Ron Paul would be a shoe-in down in the southern states if: the LOVE/revolution sign was kept at bay, and if the pro-gun, pro-states rights ideas got out there.

Andrew-Austin
12-14-2007, 04:00 PM
Nice job.

I always thought the EVOL banner would be misleading to some people.

What was with his "tree hugger" comment? Is caring for the enviroment and being a compassionate person a bad thing? Is being a bitter person that does not hesitate to destroy the enviroment supposed to be the "correct" way?

Gotta love how _____ some people can be.

sluggo
12-14-2007, 04:11 PM
Nice job.

I always thought the EVOL banner would be misleading to some people.

What was with his "tree hugger" comment? Is caring for the enviroment and being a compassionate person a bad thing? Is being a bitter person that does not hesitate to destroy the enviroment supposed to be the "correct" way?

Gotta love how _____ some people can be.

I don't really understand how he arrives at some of his opinions, I suspect it is due to the common association of peace=weak=hippies=Al Gore. I don't know......:p
This guy is a good ol' boy who listens to Country and drives an enormous Chevy truck. I am optimistic that he can be brought around though.

I also think that a lot of the hesitation to support RP is due to peer pressure as well. People are afraid to put themselves out there for fear of ridicule. The worst part of this is that this mindset is cancerous and self-perpetuating.

One other thing he said: he has a cousin who is a rabid RP supporter, and has rubbed him the wrong way on numerous occasions. Hopefully, I can counteract some of that. :)