PDA

View Full Version : Trump administration rejects new protections for iconic Alaska tree

Swordsmyth
10-05-2019, 08:13 PM
An iconic Alaska tree that is dying off from rising forest temperatures and diminished winter snowpack was deemed ineligible by U.S. wildlife officials on Friday for special protection under the U.S. Endangered Species Act.The Trump administration, though acknowledging that climate change is a factor in the decline of the yellow-cedar, rejected a petition to list the tree as a threatened species under the landmark environmental law.
The trees, which can grow to be more than 1,000 years old, are mostly found in the coastal temperate rain forests of southeastern Alaska and British Columbia, though some stands occur as far south as northern California.

But the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, which has jurisdiction over Endangered Species Act protections for plants as well as animals, determined that the die-off is not widespread enough to justify a threatened listing.
The yellow-cedar decline likely peaked in the 1970s and 1980s, and the current status of the die-off affects only 6% of the species' range, the Fish and Wildlife Service said in a statement. “Therefore, it is not having population level effects on the species,” the service said.

Denial of the yellow-cedar listing proposal comes as the Trump administration is seeking to expand logging in southeast Alaska’s Tongass National Forest and to revise Endangered Species Act rules in a way that environmentalists say will weaken protections under the law.
The yellow-cedars could benefit instead from selective logging that thins the forest, planting of seedlings and development of a new browse-resistant strain “that would make seedlings less palatable to deer,” the Fish and Wildlife Service said in a statement.
The yellow-cedar was one of a dozen imperiled plants and animals for whom Endangered Species Act petitions were denied on Friday, including the Berry Cave salamander in eastern Tennessee, the Panamint alligator lizard in California and the Southern hognose snake in the Carolinas, Georgia and Florida.
The Trump administration has now declined protection for 74 species and granted safeguards to 18, the fewest of any president at this point in an administration, according to the Center for Biological Diversity.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/trump-administration-rejects-protections-iconic-041822983.html

tfurrh
10-05-2019, 08:54 PM
I think it's funny that the cedar trees of the new world aren't really cedars. I think we just started calling any gymnosperm that wasn't a pine tree a cedar.

I love cedar trees though....even though they're not cedars.

oyarde
10-05-2019, 09:32 PM
Sounds like they need to hunt more deer .

eleganz
10-05-2019, 10:50 PM
Wait so Trump did or didn't fire a missile at said tree?

kcchiefs6465
10-05-2019, 10:55 PM
A little confused... NSA spying continues unabridged but tree talk makes it..... what?

Origanalist
10-06-2019, 06:47 AM
The Trump administration has now declined protection for 74 species and granted safeguards to 18, the fewest of any president at this point in an administration, according to the Center for Biological Diversity.

I wonder how many 'ol Abe Lincoln granted. I bet George Washington granted a bunch of them.

Origanalist
10-06-2019, 06:50 AM
A little confused... NSA spying continues unabridged but tree talk makes it..... what?

There's nothing that can be done about that, are you going to spend all your time complaining about things we can't do anything about and ignore all the good things?

Must be another case of TDS.

Anti Globalist
10-06-2019, 08:08 AM
Wait so Trump did or didn't fire a missile at said tree?
Firing a missile at a tree would be overkill to the max.