PDA

View Full Version : You’ve Got 365 Days To Get A New, Different, Better ID If You Want To Board A Flight

DamianTV
10-03-2019, 08:18 AM
https://survivalskills4u.com/youve-got-365-days-to-get-a-new-different-better-id-if-you-want-to-board-a-flight-and-go-somewhere/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/danielreed/2019/10/02/youve-got-365-days-to-get-a-new-different-better-id-if-you-want-to-board-a-flight-and-go-somewhere/#32b200ee727d

If somehow the calendar could be spun forward one year, and today were Oct. 2, 2020, not 2019, around 99 million Americans would be ineligible to get aboard commercial airlines. And almost three out of every four Americans would lack any acceptable form of identification needed for air travel.

Thankfully, it’s still 2019, so the 235 million to 240 million of us who do not now possess a “REAL ID” compliant driver’s license still have 365 days, until the Oct. 1, 2020 deadline (2020 is a leap year, so there’s one extra day in it) to get one.

But that brings up two hugely obvious questions: What is a REAL ID? And, why do I need one?
Real ID compliant driver's license

THis is a sample of a South Carolina REAL ID-compliant driver’s license. Note the gold star and outline of the state in the upper right corner. That means the license is compliant with federal REAL ID Act effective Oct. 1, 2020.

Courtesy U.S. Department of Homeland Security

You can thank Congress, circa 2005, for this new requirement. Back then, in the aftermath of the 9-11 terrorist attacks, Congress was seeking to increase the level of aviation security in a variety of ways. We all became acutely aware of the heightened level of security screening at airport entries. The government also began keeping various watch lists of known or suspected troublemakers who were not – and still aren’t – allowed to board airline flights in or to this country. We also heard all about the installation of bullet proof cockpit doors meant to keep bad guys from commandeering aircraft ever again. We even became aware of rule changes that allow pilots who volunteer for firearms training to be armed in the cockpit as a last line of defense.

Most of us, however, missed the passage of the REAL ID Act requiring all Americans boarding flights to have a REAL ID-compliant form of identification. Phase III of that Act, the phase where the requirement becomes universal within the 50 states, takes effect next October 1. And the primary form of REAL ID compliant identification will be state-issued drivers’ licenses.

Problem is, few states have begun issuing REAL ID-compliant, or enhanced licenses. Thus, approximately 72% of Americans do not yet have REAL ID compliant driver’s licenses. There are other forms of REAL ID-compliant identification that will work in lieu of a REAL ID-compliant driver’s licenses – most prominent among them being a passport. But an estimated 99 million American do not possess a passport either, plus most people traveling domestically don’t carry their passports on such trips.

Children under 18 won’t be required to have REAL ID compliant identification if they are traveling with an adult who does have such ID.

Though a full year remains until the REAL ID requirement takes full effect, it’s likely that some number – perhaps a relatively large number – of Americans still won’t have their REAL ID-compliant identification by the deadline. As a result, they won’t be allowed to fly until they do obtain such ID. And that, potentially, could have a large economic impact on the nation.

The U.S. Travel Association, a non-profit that promotes travel too and within the United States on behalf of the broad spectrum of travel and tourism businesses, calculates that were the REAL ID requirement effective today at least 78,500 travelers a day would be turned away at Transportation Security Administration checkpoints at airports all around the nation. That would cost the U.S. economy an estimated $40.3 million in lost travel-related spending per day. And if that trend were to be sustained for a full week, those numbers would grow to more than half a million air travelers being blocked from flying and around $282 million in lost travel spending.

Obviously, many Americans will be getting their REAL ID-compliant licenses and/or other compliant identification before the Oct. 1, 2020 deadline arrives. But it’s likely that not all will, so some degree of reduced traveler totals and reduced travel spending will manifest itself in the first few weeks after the deadline next October.

So, what do Americans need to do so that they’ll be allowed to fly after Oct. 1 next year?

Full article at link.

---

Papers, papers please!

timosman
10-03-2019, 08:43 AM
Won't happen at the current schedule.
Get a passport card. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/need-passport/card.html

Stratovarious
10-03-2019, 11:13 AM
Not a problem here, I stopped flying with the advent of TSA , TSA is horribly intrusive and not needed as it is,
'realid' is way over the top considering we already get groped, strip searched and interrogated.
TSA, like the Patriot Act were not designed to protect us from Terrorists, they were installed to intimidate us
and make it easier for the Government to assure COG through intimidation and constant compliance to
ridiculous and increasing demands.

Anti Globalist
10-03-2019, 11:34 AM
Like I want to fly on a plane in the first place. Don't want to have to put up with the TSA.

fedupinmo
10-03-2019, 05:41 PM
"I'm an undocumented immigrant."
"Welcome aboard, and enjoy your flight."

devil21
10-04-2019, 08:37 AM
"I'm an undocumented immigrant."
"Welcome aboard, and enjoy your flight."

Hmmm, "illegals" don't seem to need IDs to fly and don't go to jail for driving without licenses either. Strange? :confused:

Not really.

Renounce US Citizen status, declare status as an American national (assuming born here) and citizen of your home state, then apply for passport as an American national. You DO NOT have to be a "U.S. Citizen" to get a passport. I'm working on the blueprint to get that completed before REAL ID goes into effect.

The legal status known as "U.S. Citizen" is a voluntary designation as property/chattel/asset/employee/slave of the federal corporation seated in the sovereign city of DC.

phill4paul
10-04-2019, 08:53 AM
Nope. The job I work doesn't require air travel. Most all family lives in the contiguous U.S. Have no desire to travel overseas. I've seen quite a bit in my military service to satisfy me. And, honestly, there's still enough of America I haven't experienced if I get the travelling bug. And I can do that by truck.

Aratus
10-08-2019, 05:09 AM