PDA

View Full Version : Report: Colt to Cease AR-15 Production for the Civilian Market

Swordsmyth
09-18-2019, 04:50 PM
Colt Firearms has reportedly decided to cease AR-15 production for the civilian market. This will mark the end to some of the most iconic AR-15s ever, as Colts were a go-to AR for consumers as America’s love for the modern sporting rifle emerged in the late 20th century.
Guns.com reports (https://www.guns.com/news/2019/09/16/colt-reportedly-to-stop-making-rifles-for-consumer-market) Colt senior VP Paul Spitale indicated the company is shifting away from ARs and toward the class 1911, Colt revolvers, and other guns Americans want for concealed carry. Spitale said:

We’re going to focus on the products that our consumers are asking for. We’ve expanded our 1911s and our revolver line, and that market has been very positive for us.
Shooting Illustrated quoted (https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2019/9/12/the-truth-about-colts-ar-15-production/) Spitale saying Colt’s decision to refocus production was based on “customer feedback.”
Spitale made clear Colt’s position on making rifles for civilians could be reversed in the future, if the market changes to support a higher production of modern sporting rifles again. But for now, the 1911, the King Cobra family of revolvers (https://www.breitbart.com/sports/2019/04/10/first-take-colt-king-cobra-357-magnum/), and similar firearms will be Colt’s focus.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/09/18/report-colt-to-cease-ar-15-production-for-the-civilian-market/

I don't buy the "business decision" cover story.

Stratovarious
09-18-2019, 05:07 PM
Consumers aren't asking for the AR15's , could he have spewed a bigger lie.....

timosman
09-18-2019, 05:14 PM
Nature abhors vacuum. :cool:

jkr
09-18-2019, 05:16 PM
kel
tec

r
d
b

:kiss:

Grandmastersexsay
09-18-2019, 05:51 PM
Consumers aren't asking for the AR15's , could he have spewed a bigger lie.....

I could be wrong, but I believe consumers are asking for lower cost ARs than Colt wants to be making. Here is the first best selling list I found. There is only one colt model shown out of the top 20 and it is all the way down at 15.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/best-sellers-ar-15-rifles.cfm

Furthermore, that colt AR is a law enforcement model. Here is what I found on another forum about buying colt LE models.

There are *two* Colt companies now, even since the last bankruptcy.

Colt's Firearms Manufacturing is the company set up for "civilian" sales. They do offer a few "neutered" AR's with non-collapsing stocks and such.

Colt Defense is the *other* Colt company. They are set up for sales to the military and law enforcement. They are supposed to leave the civilian sales market to the civvie Colt company (Colt's Firearms Manufacturing).

Colt Defense makes the 6920 and other "mil spec" like AR's. Since Colt Defense is set up for military and LEO sales they sell directly to agencies and also directly to distributers. The distributers are "supposed" to only sell Colt Defense products to LEO agencies and individual LEO's, but Colt Defense does not monitor this very closely.

So, yeah, even though the AWB expired, the Colt 6920 manufactured by Colt Defense is "supposed" to be limited to LEO agencies and LEO officers only. That's why it retains the Mil/LEO markings. Can a civvie get one? Yeah, and it's not difficult. But, you may notice that Colt Defense does not advertise these rifles to the Non-LEO market.

Jul 14, 2009

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/are-civilians-allowed-to-buy-colt-6721-and-6920s.462185/

So in guessing the colt firearms manufacturing wasn't selling a lot of ARs, so they are stopping. Colt defense will still be making them, and possibly obtainable by civilians. This doesn't look political to me.

kcchiefs6465
09-18-2019, 05:58 PM
I could be wrong, but I believe consumers are asking for lower cost ARs than Colt wants to be making. Here is the first best selling list I found. There is only one colt model shown out of the top 20 and it is all the way down at 15.

$1,200 for a LE6920 is pretty steep.

Take about 15-20% off of that.

You're getting close to M1A numbers at $1,200 and if you really wanted an AR, there are superior lines to Colt that run about the same in pricing.

Stratovarious
09-18-2019, 06:15 PM

Furthermore, that colt AR is a law enforcement model. Here is what I found on another forum about buying colt LE models.

So in guessing the colt firearms manufacturing wasn't selling a lot of ARs, so they are stopping. Colt defense will still be making them, and possibly obtainable by civilians. This doesn't look political to me.

Might not be, I'm no arms expert, but I just saw that Colt was 'bankrupt' at some point, they lost
Military Contracts, the military still uses ar15's and their carbines.. . could just be a
kind of stepping back and looking at how they can stay competitive and/or in business.
I was assuming they would continue to sell semi auto rifles to the military at the same
time nixing the civilian market place.

I don't like the idea of the military and Law Enforcement having infantry' supplied with
the finest weapons while the govt and liberals do all they can to disarm us.

kcchiefs6465
09-18-2019, 06:24 PM
You used to be able to buy LE6920s at Wal-Mart for about $1,000.

They are not limited to police and military.

In fact when Wal-Mart discontinued selling ARs, LE6920 rifles were being sold for $400 each.

The rifles do not have markings that indicate law enforcement only... though ones sold to law enforcement probably do.

ETA: Apparently the older LE6920s had rollmarks that said, "Restricted Military/Government/Law Enforcement/Export Only"

The ones I am familiar with say, "M4 Carbine."

Stratovarious
09-18-2019, 06:37 PM
You used to be able to buy LE6920s at Wal-Mart for about $1,000.

They are not limited to police and military.

In fact when Wal-Mart discontinued selling ARs, LE6920 rifles were being sold for $400 each.

The rifles do not have markings that indicate law enforcement only... though ones sold to law enforcement probably do.

ETA: Apparently the older LE6920s had rollmarks that said, "Restricted Military/Government/Law Enforcement/Export Only"

The ones I am familiar with say, "M4 Carbine."

This begs the question, why in the fk should law enforcement be allowed better weapons than civilians .///

kcchiefs6465
09-18-2019, 06:42 PM
This begs the question, why in the fk should law enforcement be allowed better weapons than civilians .///
Same gun for all intents and purposes. You can legally own either one.

Very valid point though and many manufacturers, for instance, stopped sales to the government of NY after the SAFE Act was passed based on those very grounds.

"[Dis]-Armalite" being one shitty company.

ETA: There was a list of the companies that quit doing business with the state of NY but I can't find it here anymore.

kahless
09-18-2019, 06:47 PM
Corporate America helping solidify the power of the police state against the citizenry. I expect more to follow.

Thanks to Cuckservatives: Trump, Republicans and their media apparatus for assisting the left in moving the overton window in favor of gun control.

The news media has people worried about Iran, Russia, etc when the real threat is right here at home from the police state.

Stratovarious
09-18-2019, 06:56 PM
Corporate America helping solidify the power police state against the citizenry. I expect more to follow.

Thanks to Cuckservatives: Trump, Republicans and their media apparatus for assisting the left in moving the overton window in favor of gun control.

The news media has people worried about Iran, Russia, etc when the real threat is right here at home from the police state.

So true....

oyarde
09-18-2019, 07:02 PM
I once had a Colt M16 . I made do with it but I would not buy one.

kcchiefs6465
09-18-2019, 07:20 PM
I once had a Colt M16 . I made do with it but I would not buy one.
LOL

oyarde
09-18-2019, 07:30 PM
At muh local Bait & tackle down the road they currently have an old International M 1 for sale . I have to say I would look good with that .

fedupinmo
09-19-2019, 05:52 AM
www.palmettostatearmory.com
There ya go. :D

Slave Mentality
09-19-2019, 07:33 AM
Corporate America helping solidify the power of the police state against the citizenry. I expect more to follow.

Word