PDA

View Full Version : Tax Breaks To Help Fight Homelessness?

Zippyjuan
09-16-2019, 07:11 PM
https://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/trump-atherton-bay-area-visit-14444101.php

President Donald Trump's mysterious Bay Area plans for a Tuesday visit may have deviated from the original reports.

Originally, it was thought that he would appear in the city of Atherton for a fundraising luncheon, but a sergeant with the Atherton Police Department told the Mercury News they received word he wasn't coming.

Nonetheless, CNN reports Trump is now being joined by Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson in San Francisco. Together, they'll "show support for the idea of homeless opportunity zones" on a "fact-finding mission" to learn more about the crisis, a source with knowledge of the trip told CNN.

The proposed program would give participants tax incentives for investing in the rehabilitation of these communities through economic growth and creation of new jobs. A White House official told CNN the Trump administration was "particularly interested in the shortage of affordable housing and exploring how to lift regulations for development."

At a rally in Cincinnati earlier this month, Trump placed the blame on California's Democratic leaders.

"What they are doing to our beautiful California is a disgrace to our country," he said during the rally. "It's a shame. The world is looking at it. Look at Los Angeles with the tents and the horrible, horrible conditions. Look at San Francisco, look at some of your other cities."

r3volution 3.0
09-16-2019, 07:18 PM
Homeless people aren't born that way, @zippy (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/member.php?u=15197) (at least not most of them).

Reducing the burden of government and so the cost of living should indeed prevent some people from slipping into homelessness.

That said, these particular tax cuts don't reduce the burden of government, they just redistribute it.

jkr
09-16-2019, 08:13 PM
It could help me from becoming homeless...

euphemia
09-16-2019, 08:41 PM
I have talked before about how overregulation and high taxation prevent poor people from owning homes. I would like to see some creative solutions that require almost nothing from government. The tiny house concept has become a thing, so it may well be that some urban areas would be right for a tiny house community. Near bus routes and jobs, utilities available. Buy your quarter or eighth share, put your home there, be living on it and getting mail there within 120 days or so. Almost no regulation necessary.

acptulsa
09-16-2019, 08:51 PM
I have talked before about how overregulation and high taxation prevent poor people from owning homes. I would like to see some creative solutions that require almost nothing from government. The tiny house concept has become a thing, so it may well be that some urban areas would be right for a tiny house community. Near bus routes and jobs, utilities available. Buy your quarter or eighth share, put your home there, be living on it and getting mail there within 120 days or so. Almost no regulation necessary.

In other words, trailer parks. That's a new idea?