PDA

View Full Version : NC: Tillis places big ad buy as he faces wealthy GOP challenger

Warlord
09-12-2019, 10:08 AM
Gunny etc. is this wealthy guy worth our support?

Sen. Thom Tillis (R-N.C.) will spend $2.2 million on television and radio advertisements before his state’s March 3 primary, an early hint that his campaign may be worried about his standing among Republican voters.

Tillis faces a challenge from Garland Tucker, a retired venture capitalist who has put at least $700,000 of his own money into his campaign, according to FEC filings made in July. That investment has likely grown since the last reporting deadline.

The Tillis campaign said Thursday it would begin running radio and cable television advertisements next week. A Tillis advisor said the campaign had made initial purchases of statewide broadcast airtime beginning in January.

"It was always our plan to begin the 2020 campaign in earnest after the special election concluded and freed up the airwaves. Starting our campaign now will give us an opportunity to draw an even sharper contrast between the radical, pro-impeachment challengers we could face in the general election, and Sen. Tillis's ability to work with the President for the good of all North Carolinians,” said Andrew Romeo, Tillis’s campaign spokesman.

The advertisements, beginning more than a year before November’s election, are another sign that Tillis is among the most vulnerable senators up for reelection in 2020.

The ad buy represents a substantial chunk of Tillis’s available cash — his campaign reported $4.3 million in the bank as of the end of June, the last time candidates were required to disclose their fundraising to the Federal Election Commission.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/461085-tillis-places-big-ad-buy-as-he-faces-wealthy-gop-challenger

Brian4Liberty
09-12-2019, 10:39 AM
Tillis is an establishment tool, so a change is welcome.

Garland Tucker looks to be a standard, old fashioned conservative.
https://www.garlandtucker.com/garland-on-the-issues/

The 2nd amendment is clear, and I support it. I oppose any attempt to infringe on the basic American right to keep and to bear arms.

We have a spending problem, not a tax problem. The result is the $22 trillion national debt. I oppose any plan that would increase taxes, and I support reducing federal spending, holding spending within the Congressional spending caps established in 2011, and bringing the budget into balance. President Trump has proposed two budgets with significant decreases in domestic spending, while Congress appropriated $200 billion in spending above Trump’s budget. I support the President’s spending cuts.

I support Workfare – able-bodied people should be required to work for their welfare benefits.

Sanctuary Cities protect illegal immigrants who commit crimes. That’s wrong. I oppose Sanctuary Cities.

I support the right to life, and I support putting more legal restrictions on abortion. My hope is that the Supreme Court will soon reconsider Roe v. Wade and overturn this flawed decision. Without any constitutional “right to privacy,” abortion would become a state issue, whereby states could enforce meaningful restrictions on abortion.

Hold on, these will get him in trouble with the establishment. Expect full support for Tillis from the media:

We live in a dangerous world that requires the US to maintain a military force second to none. We should use military force only where our national security demands it. I support President Trump’s proposal to cut foreign aid by 30% and to re-build our military.

This is a matter of law and order and national security. We are not a sovereign country if we do not control our borders and enforce our immigration laws. The President has correctly identified this as a national emergency. We have to stop illegal immigration, and that includes building the wall. There can be no equivocating – or flip-flopping - on this critical issue. And, we can never offer a path to citizenship to illegal immigrants. I support President Trump’s plans to secure our borders.

Warlord
09-12-2019, 12:09 PM
Thanks Brian. Tillis is armed with a lot of MIC cash. I hope he loses.

Swordsmyth
09-12-2019, 04:19 PM
Tucker sounds like a big improvement.