PDA

View Full Version : Authorities Suspect Gun Used in Midland Was Illegally Made and Sold

Swordsmyth
09-05-2019, 03:27 PM
Law enforcement authorities believe the gun used in Saturday’s Midland-Odessa shooting was illegally made and illegally sold from a man in Lubbock, Texas. The Wall Street Journal (WSJ) reported (https://www.wsj.com/articles/authorities-suspect-man-of-making-and-selling-gun-used-in-texas-shooting-11567639127) that authorities have “a person of interest” they believe may have made the gun at his home before selling it to the gunman who opened fire on August 31.
It is legal to piece together a gun at home for personal use in numerous states around the country, but it is illegal to sell that gun.
On Monday, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) announced (https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/09/03/gov-greg-abbott-midland-shooter-previously-failed-background-check/) that the Midland-Odessa shooter had “previously failed a gun purchase background check.” However, at that time, how the shooter acquired his gun was still unknown.
The next day reports indicated (https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/09/03/report-midland-shooter-acquired-gun-privately-seller-may-face-charges/) the shooter had acquired his gun via a private sale to avoid drawing attention to himself with a background check. Now law enforcement believes the gun may have been illegally made and, therefore, illegally sold.
WSJ reported (https://www.wsj.com/articles/authorities-suspect-man-of-making-and-selling-gun-used-in-texas-shooting-11567639127) that authorities do not know if the man who sold the gun “knew [the shooter] was a prohibited person when selling him the rifle.” If the seller did know, he could face a federal charge on those grounds in addition to allegedly violating the law against manufacturing and selling guns from one’s home.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/09/05/authorities-suspect-gun-used-midland-illegally-made-sold/

kcchiefs6465
09-05-2019, 03:28 PM
So?

And I’m not directing that to you as I know you are just posting updates and highlighting that more laws won’t change anything but it should be legal to manufacture and sell whatever you wish to sell.

Swordsmyth
09-05-2019, 03:39 PM
So?

And I’m not directing that to you as I know you are just posting updates and highlighting that more laws won’t change anything but it should be legal to manufacture and sell whatever you wish to sell.
You are right but even with laws against home manufacture and sales background checks, trying to stop nuts who aren't locked up from getting guns and the ban on felons owning guns are all worthless.

Anyone who shouldn't have guns should be locked up or dead.

Danke
09-05-2019, 04:33 PM
So?

Reported. TheTexan

Schifference
09-05-2019, 04:37 PM
What if pieces of materials that could be possibly assembled into a gun by the buyer is what was sold?

Suzanimal
09-05-2019, 04:38 PM
You are right but even with laws against home manufacture and sales background checks, trying to stop nuts who aren't locked up from getting guns and the ban on felons owning guns are all worthless.

Anyone who shouldn't have guns should be locked up or dead.

That's pretty harsh. Who is fit to decide who shouldn't have guns?

Swordsmyth
09-05-2019, 04:47 PM
That's pretty harsh. Who is fit to decide who shouldn't have guns?
The same people who decide who should be locked up or dead, anyone who hasn't committed a crime worthy of one or the other and who isn't crazy enough to be locked up for the good of society should have a right to guns and doing anything different will never stop shootings.

Suzanimal
09-05-2019, 04:51 PM
The same people who decide who should be locked up or dead, anyone who hasn't committed a crime worthy of one or the other and who isn't crazy enough to be locked up for the good of society should have a right to guns and doing anything different will never stop shootings.

Judges, DAs, and police? What could possibly go wrong?

Swordsmyth
09-05-2019, 04:57 PM
Judges, DAs, and police? What could possibly go wrong?
Nothing in life can be perfect, not having a justice system won't work well either, it won't even last.

Swordsmyth
09-05-2019, 05:11 PM
ATF, FBI raid home in Lubbock, Texas; possibly connected to man who sold rifle to West Texas mass shooter (https://twitter.com/Breaking911/status/1169444366949277697)

TheTexan
09-05-2019, 05:24 PM
Reported. TheTexan

Good catch, stay vigilant :up:

kcchiefs6465
09-05-2019, 06:23 PM
What if pieces of materials that could be possibly assembled into a gun by the buyer is what was sold?
That’s what Mitch McConnell will cave on.

And Trump.

Swordsmyth
09-05-2019, 06:24 PM
That’s what Mitch McConnell will cave on.

And Trump.
I don't believe anything will pass or be signed by Trump.

kcchiefs6465
09-05-2019, 06:29 PM
His executive order paved the way for short barreled rifle ammunition being discontinued by Wal-Mart.

Bare with me...

He has opened floodgates and aroused a populace that was largely acquiesced by nothing proposals and simply being content that their ruler was in the White House.

They are active and will continue until it happens.

Trump is not principled and understands the issue little.. otherwise he would have shut the fuck up a year ago and not tiptoed down this path.

Swordsmyth
09-05-2019, 06:36 PM
His executive order paved the way for short barreled rifle ammunition being discontinued by Wal-Mart.
LOL
You actually think a private company needed him to ban bumpstocks in order to virtue signal after more shootings?
I have condemned the bumpstock ban and will do so in the future no doubt but please don't insult my intelligence.

Bare with me...

He has opened floodgates and aroused a populace that was largely acquiesced by nothing proposals and simply being content that their ruler was in the White House.

They are active and will continue until it happens.

Trump is not principled and understands the issue little.. otherwise he would have shut the $#@! up a year ago and not tiptoed down this path.
Trump is playing chess with something that should never be toyed with but I do not believe anything will pass the House that will pass the Senate or vice versa and I don't believe Trump will sign anything that passed if it did.

kcchiefs6465
09-05-2019, 09:42 PM
LOL
You actually think a private company needed him to ban bumpstocks in order to virtue signal after more shootings?
I have condemned the bumpstock ban and will do so in the future no doubt but please don't insult my intelligence.

Trump is playing chess with something that should never be toyed with but I do not believe anything will pass the House that will pass the Senate or vice versa and I don't believe Trump will sign anything that passed if it did.
You really think that Trump is playing chess?

Please don’t insult my intelligence.

Occam's Banana
09-05-2019, 09:53 PM
Trump is a waffling, half-assed gun grabber, and there is no telling what he will do.

Hell, I very much doubt that Trump himself even knows what he's going to do ...

Pauls' Revere
09-05-2019, 10:20 PM
Trump pondering to Expand red flag laws and social media monitoring.

Danke
09-06-2019, 05:39 AM
ATF, FBI raid home in Lubbock, Texas; possibly connected to man who sold rifle to West Texas mass shooter (https://twitter.com/Breaking911/status/1169444366949277697)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EDq4uPyW4AUHWMm.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EDq5cceWkAA3cCA.jpg

oyarde
09-06-2019, 06:15 AM

Probably Lubbock , place is full of texans .

devil21
09-06-2019, 09:43 AM
Multiple shooters were reported on live police scanners. Where did that go?

brushfire
09-06-2019, 11:10 AM
Killers these days - they dont seem to have much respect for the law. Go figure...

In other news, man stares and the sun and damages his retina.

CCTelander
09-06-2019, 11:45 AM

Oh, well I can't tell you how relieved I am to hear that YOU are predicting this.

But then I recall that you made exactly this kind of prediction during the whole bump stock fiasco. Those predictions have been pretty uniformly wrong to date. Apparently your predictions on these kinds of things are more aimed at pacifying people's ire toward Trump than at anything else. Or maybe you just need a new crystal ball.

CCTelander
09-06-2019, 12:20 PM
LOL

Trump opened Pandora's Box, virtually singlehandedly brought almost 25 years of positive progress to a screeching halt and handed the initiative straight over to the gun grabbers. In speaking out in favor of various victim disarmament (gun control) measures he provided cover for the NRA and Republican lawmakers across the country to do their usual backstabbing routine and endorse and support yet more, and more egregious victim disarmament. Merely by opening his idiot mouth he's created an environment wherein gun grabbers and their agenda could flourish. He has already done immeasurable damage and that damage wil certainly continue to accrue for many years to come.

Whether or not Walmart would have done what they did had Trump just kept his idiot mouth shut, or even better took a firm stand against victim disarmament, is unknowable. What IS known is that before the Blowhard in Chief spouted off in favor of victim disarmament it had no legs. Afterward it's been racing through one jurisdiction after another with no discernable end in sight.

You yourself even acknowledged the truth of all this in a post or two in another victim disarmament thread something like a week ago. Granted that acknowledgement came over a year too late since while I and maybe one or two others were warning of this very phenomenon during the whole bump stock fiasco you were busy spamming us with your usual "Yes this isn't good but don't worry, everything will be ok" crap, just like you're doing right now. One could be forgiven for wondering what your true agenda might be.

kcchiefs6465
09-06-2019, 11:36 PM
Trump opened Pandora's Box, virtually singlehandedly brought almost 25 years of positive progress to a screeching halt and handed the initiative straight over to the gun grabbers. In speaking out in favor of various victim disarmament (gun control) measures he provided cover for the NRA and Republican lawmakers across the country to do their usual backstabbing routine and endorse and support yet more, and more egregious victim disarmament. Merely by opening his idiot mouth he's created an environment wherein gun grabbers and their agenda could flourish. He has already done immeasurable damage and that damage wil certainly continue to accrue for many years to come.

Whether or not Walmart would have done what they did had Trump just kept his idiot mouth shut, or even better took a firm stand against victim disarmament, is unknowable. What IS known is that before the Blowhard in Chief spouted off in favor of victim disarmament it had no legs. Afterward it's been racing through one jurisdiction after another with no discernable end in sight.

You yourself even acknowledged the truth of all this in a post or two in another victim disarmament thread something like a week ago. Granted that acknowledgement came over a year too late since while I and maybe one or two others were warning of this very phenomenon during the whole bump stock fiasco you were busy spamming us with your usual "Yes this isn't good but don't worry, everything will be ok" crap, just like you're doing right now. One could be forgiven for wondering what your true agenda might be.
This.

I know plenty of card holding Trump idolizing Republicans who are very much in favor of various gun control measures (red flag laws, gun show loopholes, etc.). They would never express as much without Trump hinting at if not outright supporting measures such as these.