PDA

View Full Version : California bans fur trapping for recreation, commerce

Swordsmyth
09-04-2019, 09:32 PM
California on Wednesday became the first state to ban commercial fur trapping, ending the practice nearly 200 years after animals like beavers and otters introduced the American West to international trade.Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom said Wednesday he had signed a bill into law making it illegal to trap animals for the purposes of recreation or to sell their fur. It is still legal to trap animals for other purposes, including pest control and public health.
Before the gold rush put California on the map, it was fur traders who first flocked to then far-flung Mexican territory in search of the area's plentiful population of beavers, minks and badgers. The so-called fur rush made fur trappers a recognizable symbol of the Old West.
But in recent years, California licenses for fur trappers have declined considerably. In 2018, the California Department of Fish and Wildlife said it sold 133 licenses, leading to the harvest of 1,568 animals and the sale of 1,241 pelts. A legislative analysis of the bill noted most furs are sold outside of California, with data suggesting there have been no fur sales in the state for the past three years.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/california-bans-fur-trapping-recreation-233405900.html

r3volution 3.0
09-04-2019, 09:33 PM
Those hunting fresh beavers ought not go to California?

oyarde
09-04-2019, 09:45 PM
Third world .

Anti Globalist
09-05-2019, 07:38 AM
Calexit.

TheTexan
09-05-2019, 10:24 AM
signed a bill into law making it illegal to trap animals for the purposes of recreation

This is outrageous. Does he have no respect for the 2nd amendment?

tod evans
09-05-2019, 10:28 AM
Cute fur bearing animals have teeth...

Superfluous Man
09-05-2019, 10:30 AM
Is there anything stopping anyone from saying that their motive was something other than recreation?

TheTexan
09-05-2019, 10:32 AM
Is there anything stopping anyone from saying that their motive was something other than recreation?

I'm not sure how well the "it's coming straight for us!" defense would work when you're using traps.

oyarde
09-05-2019, 11:16 AM
This is outrageous. Does he have no respect for the 2nd amendment?

They sold the fur to the real men in canada , now they are just furless . Unamerican activities most certainly .

asurfaholic
09-05-2019, 11:30 AM
I'm not sure how well the "it's coming straight for us!" defense would work when you're using traps.

It was coming straight for us, so I put this trap down

Brian4Liberty
09-05-2019, 11:49 AM
Fur trapping for “recreation”? Hmm. Never heard anyone at the gun range talking about it though. “Hey Joe, want to go out and set some traps this weekend, it will be a blast. Then you can mow my lawn too, it’s great.”

Didn’t even realize that fur trapping was still done in the state. Thought it was all farmed now.

RJB
09-05-2019, 05:57 PM
I ran a trap line for a few years. Anyone wanting to learn survival/post SHTF needs to learn trapping.

1. It saves ammo.
2. You stay warm and accomplish other tasks while the trap does the work.
3. It's silent/doesn't give away your position of you are avoiding other.
4. You learn how to read the woods better.
5. You get a better return with many traps than you do from hunters.
6. Traps work at night when you can be trapping.

This is just off the top of my head. It's no wonder Commiefornia wants to ban trapping.

oyarde
09-05-2019, 06:44 PM
Trapping and selling muskrats and foxes is how I pd for cigarettes in high school . I was too tight to spend the money I made from my job or selling weed on anything but gas and beer . Now I would probably be specializing in coyotes just because it would be easier.