PDA

View Full Version : Trump Slams ABC for Reporting His Mistaken Statement that Dorian Could Affect Alabama

Zippyjuan
09-02-2019, 08:35 PM
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/09/trump-slams-abc-dorian-affect-alabama.html

President Donald Trump lashed out at ABC on Monday evening for daring to report on his inaccurate statement on Hurricane Dorian. Most amazing of all is that the president appears to suggest his mistaken statement wasn’t really mistaken even though he was very publicly corrected by the National Weather Service.

Trump tweeted Sunday that “in addition to Florida – South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, and Alabama, will most likely be hit (much) harder than anticipated.” That immediately led to questions because no one had mentioned any risk for Alabama. But this wasn’t an isolated mistake. Trump also told reporters at the White House that “Alabama is going to get a piece of it, looks like.”

The statement led to such confusion that the National Weather Service immediately contradicted the statement, without mentioning Trump of course. “Alabama will NOT see any impacts from #Dorian,” the National Weather Service office in Birmingham, Alabama tweeted.

Trump apparently wasn’t happy, though, that ABC News mentioned the issue, and he blasted the network for “a phony hurricane report by lightweight reporter” Jonathan Karl. Trump then went on to say that his statement that “even Alabama could possibly come into play … WAS true.” The president added that “under certain original scenarios, it was in fact correct that Alabama could have received some ‘hurt’.” In the end, the good thing to remember is that it is “always good to be prepared!”

Trump also said earlier he had never heard of a Category 5 hurricane. This is the fourth one since his presidency- and he also said he had never heard of a Category 5 hurricane each of those times.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-says-he-never-heard-of-category-5-hurricane-dorian-2019-9

"I never even knew a Category 5 existed," he said on September 14, 2017, just days after Hurricane Irma — a Category 5 storm that battered parts of the Caribbean islands before weakening to a Category 4 hurricane when it made landfall in the Florida Keys.

Later in September, Hurricane Maria devastated parts of Dominica, the US Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico. The Category 5 storm weakened to a Category 4 when it hit Puerto Rico. Officials there eventually linked the storm to nearly 3,000 deaths, and the US territory is still recovering from the impacts of the natural disaster.

"So we've never seen it," Trump said on September 26, 2017, about Maria's impact. "It actually touched down as a Category 5. People have never seen anything like that."

In October 2017, Trump reiterated claims that Category 5 storms were inconceivable, saying "nobody has ever heard of a 5 hitting land."

And in May of this year, months after Category 5 Hurricane Michael ravaged the Florida Panhandle, Trump told the crowd at a campaign rally in Panama City Beach, Florida, that he had "never heard about Category 5s before."

"A Category 5 is big stuff," he said.

Schifference
09-03-2019, 05:30 AM
It is pretty amazing that there can be fighting over a weather prediction. NY city was practically shut down a couple years ago for a forecasted blizzard that never materialized. Each day an everyday rainstorm is transformed into a once in a century catastrophic thunderstorm event. Weather forecasters can be totally wrong today and be relied upon tomorrow. Trump could be as right about the weather as the meteorologists.

specsaregood
09-03-2019, 05:34 AM
Trump was not mistaken, a number of the earlier forecasts did include alabama.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/resizer/-J3h06_99quvUmeGfR4DfsjT5tM=/800x463/top/arc-anglerfish-arc2-prod-tronc.s3.amazonaws.com/public/4LKIS6IJHVENTLSALQ2NKJNLYQ.JPG
http://hurricanes.ral.ucar.edu/realtime/plots/northatlantic/2019/al052019/eps_track_by_model_extra_late/aal05_2019082912_eps_track_by_model_extra_late.png
http://hurricanes.ral.ucar.edu/realtime/plots/northatlantic/2019/al052019/eps_track_by_model_extra_late/aal05_2019082512_eps_track_by_model_extra_late.png

Superfluous Man
09-03-2019, 06:17 AM

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/resizer/-J3h06_99quvUmeGfR4DfsjT5tM=/800x463/top/arc-anglerfish-arc2-prod-tronc.s3.amazonaws.com/public/4LKIS6IJHVENTLSALQ2NKJNLYQ.JPG
http://hurricanes.ral.ucar.edu/realtime/plots/northatlantic/2019/al052019/eps_track_by_model_extra_late/aal05_2019082912_eps_track_by_model_extra_late.png
http://hurricanes.ral.ucar.edu/realtime/plots/northatlantic/2019/al052019/eps_track_by_model_extra_late/aal05_2019082512_eps_track_by_model_extra_late.png

Trump's assertion on September 2nd wasn't that Alabama had been included in earlier forecasts that had since been superseded by more up-to-date forecasts that did not include Alabama. He asserted that as of then (September 2nd) Alabama was likely to get hit even harder than had previously been anticipated. He said the exact opposite of what would have been an accurate characterization of the way the forecasts had changed with respect to Alabama.

JohnCifelli1
09-03-2019, 06:30 AM

Model guidance isn't a forecast. The National Hurricane Center never put Alabama in the forecast cone. Trump screwed this up pretty badly.

JohnCifelli1
09-03-2019, 06:31 AM
It is pretty amazing that there can be fighting over a weather prediction. NY city was practically shut down a couple years ago for a forecasted blizzard that never materialized. Each day an everyday rainstorm is transformed into a once in a century catastrophic thunderstorm event. Weather forecasters can be totally wrong today and be relied upon tomorrow. Trump could be as right about the weather as the meteorologists.

Good money to be made if you can do better.

TheCount
09-03-2019, 07:56 AM
Those forecasts also include and would affect Louisiana, Mississippi, and Texas.

If your Trumpsplaination is correct, why didn't he mention those states?

Does anyone actually believe that Trump could identify states on a map?

oyarde
09-03-2019, 08:31 AM
I am positive obama could not identify states on a map , I dunno about trump, flip a coin . Trump would have seen some of these models showing alabama earlier. You ingrates should be glad your president is watching the weather for you and letting you know on twitter . That is a public servant .

oyarde
09-03-2019, 08:33 AM
Good money to be made if you can do better.

My Indian weather rock is hard to beat .

TheCount
09-03-2019, 09:14 AM
I am positive obama could not identify states on a map , I dunno about trump, flip a coin . Trump would have seen some of these models showing alabama earlier. You ingrates should be glad your president is watching the weather for you and letting you know on twitter . That is a public servant .

If he delegated the tweeting and the golf playing to other federal employees we would save a lot of money.

TheTexan
09-03-2019, 09:36 AM
Trump was probably basing his statement on top secret forecasts that generally aren't available to the public.

Zippyjuan
09-03-2019, 11:48 AM
Trump's assertion on September 2nd wasn't that Alabama had been included in earlier forecasts that had since been superseded by more up-to-date forecasts that did not include Alabama. He asserted that as of then (September 2nd) Alabama was likely to get hit even harder than had previously been anticipated. He said the exact opposite of what would have been an accurate characterization of the way the forecasts had changed with respect to Alabama.

Even after the Weather Service corrected him, he continued to make the claim.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/sep/02/donald-trump-wrongly-says-hurricane-dorian-will-hit-alabama

Despite their clarification, Trump repeated the claim at his press conference later.

“And, I will say, the states – and it may get a little piece of a great place: It’s called Alabama,” said Trump. “And Alabama could even be in for at least some very strong winds and something more than that, it could be. This just came up, unfortunately. It’s the size of – the storm that we’re talking about. So, for Alabama, just please be careful also.”

At that same press conference, held at the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) headquarters in Washington DC, Trump expressed huge surprise at the “monstrous” size of Dorian, saying he was not sure he had ever heard of a category 5 hurricane before.

“I have – not sure – I’m not sure that I’ve ever even heard of a category 5,” said Trump. “I knew it existed. And I’ve seen some category 4s; you don’t even see them that much. But a category 5 is something that I don’t know that I’ve even heard the term other than I know it’s there. That’s the ultimate. And that’s what we have, unfortunately.”

But, as observant viewers were quick to point out, this is a line he has trotted out before. There are at least four other occasions – including as recently as May – that he said he was astonished to discover category 5 hurricanes existed.

TheTexan
09-03-2019, 11:52 AM
Even after the Weather Service corrected him, he continued to make the claim.

A difference of opinion, so what? Time will tell who is right.

Zippyjuan
09-03-2019, 11:57 AM
A difference of opinion, so what? Time will tell who is right.

Trump is always right. Even when Trump disagrees with Trump and changes his mind.

Dr.3D
09-03-2019, 12:15 PM
WGAF?

oyarde
09-03-2019, 03:05 PM
Trump was probably basing his statement on top secret forecasts that generally aren't available to the public.

Normally I oppose govt interference in the economy but at this point Trump should shut the birmigham alabama weather office down and teach them a lesson.

oyarde
09-03-2019, 03:18 PM
Raining outside of Tuscaloosa now .

nikcers
09-03-2019, 04:00 PM
Trump just owned the globalist media, every time he tweets something he takes up all the air in the room.

https://i.imgur.com/wVrWoUA.gif

eleganz
09-03-2019, 04:11 PM
Trump just owned the globalist media, every time he tweets something he takes up all the air in the room.

https://i.imgur.com/wVrWoUA.gif

Heavily triggers zippy while at it.

Zippyjuan
09-04-2019, 04:09 PM
Trump can never admit a mistake. Today he produced a map with added lines drawn with a marker trying to show that Dorian was headed for Alabama. The lines were not on the map released last week.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/04/politics/donald-trump-hurricane-alabama-map/index.html

Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump showed a map of Hurricane Dorian's trajectory in the Oval Office on Wednesday afternoon that appeared to include an addition showing the storm potentially affecting a large section of Alabama.

Trump claimed the map was the original forecast. But a similar image released by the White House last week did not include any impact on Alabama in its forecast.

"That was the original chart, and you see it was going to hit not only Florida but Georgia," Trump claimed Wednesday during a briefing, while showing a National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration map with a black line encircling a portion of Alabama.

"It took a right turn. And, ultimately, hopefully we're going to be lucky. It depends on what happens with South Carolina and North Carolina," he added.

An early archived version of a NOAA map from Thursday, August 29, showed the hurricane veering left toward Florida, but it did not appear to have a black line to show Alabama would be affected.

CNN Weather meteorologists say one forecast on Friday afternoon showed one-tenth of one county in extreme southwest Alabama was included in one model. But that map bears little resemblance to the one Trump showed on Wednesday. And the official track from the National Hurricane Center never showed Dorian's track entering the Gulf of Mexico, as Trump also claimed.

"I know that Alabama was in the original forecast," Trump said later Wednesday when asked about the image he showed, adding that there were other maps showing Alabama being "hit very hard."

Asked whether the black line over Alabama was made with a permanent marker, Trump said, "I don't know. I don't know."

A source familiar with the matter says the Department of Homeland Security, which oversees the Federal Emergency Management Agency, did not provide the altered map Trump showed in the Oval Office.

"The map was not brought by DHS for this briefing," the source said.

Original map:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/FEMA-2-1200x800.jpg

Trump's new version of the map:

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/pHvRYvLvbnnbrnZclHqChugjEnI=/0x0:2868x1904/920x613/filters:focal(1205x723:1663x1181):format(webp)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/65175026/GettyImages_1165958521.0.jpg

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/9/4/20849909/trump-hurricane-dorian-alabama-map

The Washington Post’s Capital Weather Gang wondered whether Trump had been using the map to rationalize his mistake and also pointed out issuing false or altered official weather forecasts is a violation of US law:

Altering official government weather forecasts isn’t just a cause for concern — it’s actually illegal. Per 18 U.S. Code 2074, which addresses false weather reports, “Whoever knowingly issues or publishes any counterfeit weather forecast or warning of weather conditions falsely representing such forecast or warning to have been issued or published by the Weather Bureau, United States Signal Service, or other branch of the Government service, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ninety days, or both.”

Zippyjuan
09-04-2019, 05:11 PM

As you can see, almost all models predicted it to go through Florida also hitting Georgia and Alabama. I accept the Fake News apologies!

Actually only a couple of the more extreme models do. Not "almost all". And by the time he made the Alabama claim on September 1st, none of the models showed it hitting Alabama.

Trump had re-tweeted a projection map from the National Weather Service five hours earlier which did not show Alabama threatened by the storm prior to his tweet warning Alabama.

Occam's Banana
09-04-2019, 05:13 PM
The Washington Post’s Capital Weather Gang wondered whether Trump had been using the map to rationalize his mistake and also pointed out issuing false or altered official weather forecasts is a violation of US law:

Altering official government weather forecasts isn’t just a cause for concern — it’s actually illegal. Per 18 U.S. Code 2074, which addresses false weather reports, “Whoever knowingly issues or publishes any counterfeit weather forecast or warning of weather conditions falsely representing such forecast or warning to have been issued or published by the Weather Bureau, United States Signal Service, or other branch of the Government service, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ninety days, or both.”

Jeebus! Trump doubles down on something stupid, and of course, rather than just roll their eyes and move on, the media sees his bet and raises him ... jeebus!

SMH ... Pretty soon we're gonna be hearing about "Doriangate" ... :rolleyes:

devil21
09-05-2019, 01:12 AM
The Sharpie thing. OK, first time I'll write this but I think it's an indicator that Trump is trying to show everyone how fake and stupid this all is. I mean...come on.

The alternative....is just too much...is that we truly have a certifiable loon holding the highest visible public office in the land.

kpitcher
09-05-2019, 01:38 AM
The Sharpie thing. OK, first time I'll write this but I think it's an indicator that Trump is trying to show everyone how fake and stupid this all is. I mean...come on.

The alternative....is just too much...is that we truly have a certifiable loon holding the highest visible public office in the land.

Careful, you'll be labeled as having TDS if you start thinking the emperor has no clothes.

Schifference
09-05-2019, 04:59 AM
If you think Trump says some crazy schite just wait till Joey gets the podium.

Schifference
09-05-2019, 05:17 AM
I always thought it funny that the man did all the driving. He drives all the time. The woman complains about the mans driving. But the man drives whenever they go out. When they go on vacation. He drives all the time. It stands to reason that a person that rarely gets behind the wheel would have less opportunity to cause an accident or get a moving violation.

There have been presidents that have been in office for multiple terms that rarely say a word. You wouldn't even know they were in office. All their statements were prepared for them. They never answered questions. A President that communicates with the people multiple times each day via a hand held device will obviously have more opportunity to say something wrong than a President that rarely ever speaks to the public.

A person that sits behind a desk all day has little opportunity to be injured when compared to a construction worker. Yet, the office worker might consider the construction worker accident prone.

Imagine Trump said, "You people in Alabama don't have anything to worry about. I have looked at the models. The storm is never going to get anywhere near you."

devil21
09-05-2019, 11:23 AM
Careful, you'll be labeled as having TDS if you start thinking the emperor has no clothes.

I have to believe that he's subtly trolling everyone to make them wake up. Have to. Millions upon millions hang raptly to every word uttered from a room hundreds or thousands of miles away. Trot out such a ridiculous thing as that Sharpie map, with a serious look and tone? Gotta be trolling to show how ridiculous it is that people spend so much time thinking and fighting about what he says day-to-day. Right?

If not.....the alternative.....just too much.

(eta: or they're coding info into this sort of stuff, also a possibility. Alabama hurricane, buying Greenland, etc. Yeah codes. Anything but the alternative that this dude is a complete loon.)

Superfluous Man
09-05-2019, 11:29 AM
I always thought it funny that the man did all the driving. He drives all the time. The woman complains about the mans driving. But the man drives whenever they go out. When they go on vacation. He drives all the time. It stands to reason that a person that rarely gets behind the wheel would have less opportunity to cause an accident or get a moving violation.

There have been presidents that have been in office for multiple terms that rarely say a word. You wouldn't even know they were in office. All their statements were prepared for them. They never answered questions. A President that communicates with the people multiple times each day via a hand held device will obviously have more opportunity to say something wrong than a President that rarely ever speaks to the public.

A person that sits behind a desk all day has little opportunity to be injured when compared to a construction worker. Yet, the office worker might consider the construction worker accident prone.

Imagine Trump said, "You people in Alabama don't have anything to worry about. I have looked at the models. The storm is never going to get anywhere near you."

Or, after he made the mistake one time, and then was corrected, he could simply have admitted the mistake, said his statement was based on an earlier model that had since been superseded, reassured the people of Alabama in light of the latest models, and nobody would have thought anything of it.

Instead, he gets so wound up about having a mistake pointed out and insistent that he never makes mistakes, that he can't bring himself to do that.

nikcers
09-05-2019, 11:36 AM
Or, after he made the mistake one time, and then was corrected, he could simply have admitted the mistake, said his statement was based on an earlier model that had since been superseded, reassured the people of Alabama in light of the latest models, and nobody would have thought anything of it.

Instead, he gets so wound up about having a mistake pointed out and insistent that he never makes mistakes, that he can't bring himself to do that.

He didnt make a mistake.

Superfluous Man
09-05-2019, 11:46 AM
He didnt make a mistake.

He made a false statement in the tweet provided in the OP. After he made that false statement, his own National Weather Service had to issue a statement saying the opposite of what he said. And then he still wouldn't admit that his statement, which was easily proven false, actually was false.

The only consolation I can see is that his own reputation for truthfulness is so nonexistent, that nobody in Alabama was liable to take him seriously.

nikcers
09-05-2019, 11:56 AM
He made a false statement in the tweet provided in the OP. After he made that false statement, his own National Weather Service had to issue a statement saying the opposite of what he said. And then he still wouldn't admit that his statement, which was easily proven false, actually was false.

The only consolation I can see is that his own reputation for truthfulness is so nonexistent, that nobody in Alabama was liable to take him seriously.

He was telling the truth

Influenza
09-05-2019, 11:58 AM
As usual, trumpeteers deny objective reality in order to continue worshiping their omniscient, perfectly moral deity

nikcers
09-05-2019, 11:59 AM
As usual, trumpeteers deny objective reality in order to continue worshiping their omniscient, perfectly moral deity

You're wrong.

Influenza
09-05-2019, 12:01 PM
You're wrong.
Oh sorry, I did not realize you were doing a Swordsmyth impression. My apologies.

nikcers
09-05-2019, 12:03 PM
Oh sorry, I did not realize you were doing a Swordsmyth impression. My apologies.

You are doing a good job zippyjuan

Superfluous Man
09-05-2019, 12:07 PM
He was telling the truth

Source?

nikcers
09-05-2019, 12:15 PM
Source?

Fakenews.com

Superfluous Man
09-05-2019, 12:19 PM
Fakenews.com

Trump's tweet is right there in the OP. You don't deny that he really tweeted it. It clearly wan't true when he said it. But you claim it was true. What's your reason for believing that?

Aside from the fact that it's Trump, so it must be true.

nikcers
09-05-2019, 12:23 PM
Trump's tweet is right there in the OP. You don't deny that he really tweeted it. It clearly wan't true when he said it. But you claim it was true. What's your reason for believing that?

Aside from the fact that it's Trump, so it must be true.

Hurricane Dorian was an inside job

Superfluous Man
09-05-2019, 12:25 PM
Hurricane Dorian was an inside job

Gotcha.

nikcers
09-05-2019, 12:33 PM
Gotcha.

Elizabeth Warren's rain dance can't melt Trump's dreams.

Zippyjuan
09-05-2019, 04:35 PM
Three more tweets about Alabama and none about any damage to places actually being hit by the storm. He is more concerned about being seen as being wrong.

RJB
09-05-2019, 05:43 PM
Meh. To be honest, I couldn't have cared less when Obama mentioned 57 states. Gaffs, mistakes, etc. happen. Trump seems to get a weird charge from keeping these silly stories in the news. Yes he's a weirdo, bit the way the media obsesses over his obvious trolls is even weirder, entertaining but weirder.

Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart. Crooked Hillary Clinton also played these cards very hard and, as everyone knows, went down in flames. I went from VERY successful businessman, to top T.V. Star.........to President of the United States (on my first try). I think that would qualify as not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!

Swordsmyth
09-05-2019, 05:45 PM
Meh. To be honest, I couldn't have cared less when Obama mentioned 57 states. Gaffs, mistakes, etc. happen. Trump seems to get a weird charge from keeping these silly stories in the news. Yes he's a weirdo, bit the way the media obsesses over his obvious trolls is even weirder, entertaining but weirder.

DJTvsg.

He plays them like a fiddle and they look petty and stupid.

XNavyNuke
09-05-2019, 07:28 PM
Trump can never admit a mistake. Today he produced a map with added lines drawn with a marker trying to show that Dorian was headed for Alabama. The lines were not on the map released last week.

You must be deluded in believing that the nyms here on RPF have the attention span of the general public. I contemporaneously posted the links to the spaghetti maps on the hurricane thread
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?538578-Hurricane-Dorian-upgraded-to-Category-1-storm-could-become-Category-3-hurricane-hit-FLt
and specifically commented on the TCLP track going into Alabama on the Polish golfing thread.
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?538716-Trump-Skips-Trip-to-Poland-Honoring-WWII-to-Monitor-Hurricane-plays-golf-instead

Not that any of this really matters. The S/N ratio here at RPF has plummeted to near-MSM levels.

XNN

Occam's Banana
09-05-2019, 09:38 PM
Meh. To be honest, I couldn't have cared less when Obama mentioned 57 states. Gaffs, mistakes, etc. happen.[...]

Not to defend Obama, but the "57 states" thing wasn't a gaffe or mistake. It was obviously intended as a wry comment on the rigors of multi-state campaigning.

Those who made it out to be something else just came off looking like the same kind of dim bulb they were trying to make Obama out to be.

Especially since there were plenty of other things (things far more important than a lame joke) that they could have reasonably criticized him for ...

TheTexan
09-05-2019, 11:10 PM
I think I felt a few hurricane breezes here in Texas . Alabama certainly got hit harder than we did .

RJB
09-06-2019, 06:44 AM
Not to defend Obama, but the "57 states" thing wasn't a gaffe or mistake. It was obviously intended as a wry comment on the rigors of multi-state campaigning.

Those who made it out to be something else just came off looking like the same kind of dim bulb they were trying to make Obama out to be.

Especially since there were plenty of other things (things far more important than a lame joke) that they could have reasonably criticized him for ...
Agreed.

dannno
09-06-2019, 11:43 AM

dannno
09-06-2019, 11:45 AM
Three more tweets about Alabama and none about any damage to places actually being hit by the storm. He is more concerned about being seen as being wrong.

The media still seems more obsessed about this issue than Trump does. I guess that means the hurricane wasn't really all that.. except for in the Bahamas.

Zippyjuan
09-06-2019, 11:54 AM
Everything gets turned into a fundraiser. You can also buy $15 plastic straws in response to some places calling for bans on them.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/09/06/trump-store-now-selling-branded-markers-1483644

Trump campaign is selling branded markers after Sharpie-gate

Donald Trump’s reelection campaign has added a Trump-branded permanent marker to its web store, capitalizing on the Sharpie-gate drama and expanding the campaign's culture war offerings that already include stick-it-to-the-liberals plastic straws.

The marker, announced on Twitter this morning by campaign manager Brad Parscale, is the latest effort by the campaign to amplify and then commodify what could have been a relatively minor controversy.

“Buy the official Trump marker, which is different than every other marker on the market, because this one has the special ability to drive @CNN and the rest of the fake news crazy!” Parscale tweeted.

It’s an apparent reference to the consternation that’s spread this week over Trump’s use of a Sharpie-altered weather map on Wednesday to back up his dubious claim that Alabama had been at dire risk of being hammered by Hurricane Dorian.

Beginning on Sunday, Trump has repeatedly insisted that the hurricane would threaten the state, despite being almost immediately contradicted by the National Weather Service and other meteorologists.

This is a familiar strategy from Parscale. In July, he griped on Twitter about a paper straw — marketed as an environmentally friendly alternative to plastic — getting soggy and useless in his sweet tea. And because environmentally friendly is often associated with liberal in the context of the culture wars, a $15 pack of Trump-branded plastic straws soon arrived on the campaign store.

The campaign sold hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of the red straws, it told RealClearPolitics.

Danke
09-06-2019, 12:03 PM
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/424/601/0a6.gif

RJB
09-06-2019, 12:31 PM
Trump campaign is selling branded markers after Sharpie-gate

"Sharpie-gate?" For Pete sake. Quit being crazy.

specsaregood
09-06-2019, 09:00 PM
NOAA issued a statement on the subject.
https://www.noaa.gov/news/statement-from-noaa

From Wednesday, August 28, through Monday, September 2, the information provided by NOAA and the National Hurricane Center to President Trump and the wider public demonstrated that tropical-storm-force winds from Hurricane Dorian could impact Alabama. This is clearly demonstrated in Hurricane Advisories #15 through #41, which can be viewed at the following*link.

The Birmingham National Weather Service’s Sunday morning tweet spoke in absolute terms that were inconsistent with probabilities from the best forecast products available at the time.

ATruepatriot
09-06-2019, 09:06 PM
NOAA issued a statement on the subject.
https://www.noaa.gov/news/statement-from-noaa

So they made fun of him because he claimed it was going to be one hell of a storm, well it was. Now they make fun of him because it missed a state. Is anyone intelligent enough to even catch this ignorant brainwashing crap? I can't even believe the topic is being debated. Only the ignorant would keep falling for this crap and not rise above it in intelligence level. Very disheartening and very disturbing we have come to this.

Wooden Indian
09-06-2019, 09:11 PM
Well, I bet Normy "gets it". Funny poo.

UWDude
09-07-2019, 12:53 AM
Member when Stormy Daniels was the big story?

I member.

Very important.

Pay attention!

kpitcher
09-07-2019, 12:57 AM
(eta: or they're coding info into this sort of stuff, also a possibility. Alabama hurricane, buying Greenland, etc. Yeah codes. Anything but the alternative that this dude is a complete loon.)

I have always thought Trump has been amazing on knowing how to play the media, he really is a reality tv star and used it to get to the white house and keep everyone ignoring the past by continual new crap. But lately his game has been drastically off. Maybe a few years of constant bonehead tweets are catching up, or maybe it's all a ploy to distract us about a hurricane while the white house claims Afghanistan has been a wild success. Although I'm thinking it's more along the lines of "babysitting a 4 year old"

shakey1
09-07-2019, 07:48 AM

^^^^^^

+rep :cool:

juleswin
09-07-2019, 08:22 AM
I dunno what to make of this thread anymore, so was he trying to reveal that everything is fake or was he right all along and wasn't trolling/triggering the media and zippy types?

Occam's Banana
09-07-2019, 08:26 AM
I have always thought Trump has been amazing on knowing how to play the media, he really is a reality tv star and used it to get to the white house and keep everyone ignoring the past by continual new crap. But lately his game has been drastically off. Maybe a few years of constant bonehead tweets are catching up, or maybe it's all a ploy to distract us about a hurricane while the white house claims Afghanistan has been a wild success. Although I'm thinking it's more along the lines of "babysitting a 4 year old"

I don't think Trump is quite the "genius" at manipulating the media that some have made him out to be. It's just that the media allow themselves to become so discombobulated by his drunken-monkey shenanigans that he comes off as looking more "clever" and/or "devious" than they, if only by way of contrast.

The media are just a bunch of glib and practiced narcissists. They are used to dealing with other glib and practiced narcissists. They just don't know how to cope with brusque and abrasive narcissists like Trump ... (or at least, not with brusque and abrasive narcissists who also happen to occupy the holy of holies, a.k.a. the Oval Office ...)

juleswin
09-07-2019, 08:39 AM

I think some of it is a distraction but the bulk of it is babysitting a man-child. We have to the CIC who appeared to be giving fake info about a hurricane and some people on this site think its cute :rolleyes:

Swordsmyth
09-07-2019, 04:18 PM
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1170089069105340416

Danke
09-07-2019, 04:58 PM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Swordsmyth again.

Schifference
09-07-2019, 05:14 PM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Swordsmyth again.

Schifference
09-07-2019, 05:25 PM
Was Alabama spared?

Zippyjuan
09-07-2019, 05:33 PM
Was Alabama spared?

Unfortunately no- they had to hear Trump talk about them all week.

RJB
09-07-2019, 06:12 PM
And we had to listen to Zippy talk about Orange Man Bad for the last 4 years.

Dr.3D
09-07-2019, 06:15 PM
And we had to listen to Zippy talk about Orange Man Bad for the last 4 years.
Yeah, it's getting old.

parocks
09-07-2019, 07:31 PM
Those forecasts also include and would affect Louisiana, Mississippi, and Texas.

If your Trumpsplaination is correct, why didn't he mention those states?

Does anyone actually believe that Trump could identify states on a map?

The answer is

Who

Cares?

parocks
09-07-2019, 07:46 PM
I think some of it is a distraction but the bulk of it is babysitting a man-child. We have to the CIC who appeared to be giving fake info about a hurricane and some people on this site think its cute :rolleyes:

The Hurricane Blocker in West Palm Beach prevented the hurricane from going right through Florida and into Alabama.

This particular 185 mph hurricane somehow stopped, for no reason, and sat and spun over the Bahamas for a day or 2, and then inexplicably turned north.

I'd think that the hurricane might hit Alabama if it was headed for Florida.

What is certainly true is that the people who are making a big deal out of this are a new species of bad people.

HOLY SHT WHO GIVES A FCK?

Trump draws a line on a graphic to explain that he was thinking about the days at the end of the cone. It's obvious just by looking at the picture that's what he did.

Crazy people decide that = tampering with a graphic and illegal.

I'm a tolerant Libertarianish person. But those people are crazy and should be locked up.

Yes, let's debate if whether marking up a poster to illustrate a point is a crime. Let's give loud microphones to all the crazy people and let's pretend that this is a real question. New low from the media, or a new low of stupidity, there are other overall lows, but this seems like a new low for stupidity by the media.

spudea
09-07-2019, 08:43 PM

Actually only a couple of the more extreme models do. Not "almost all". And by the time he made the Alabama claim on September 1st, none of the models showed it hitting Alabama.

Trump had re-tweeted a projection map from the National Weather Service five hours earlier which did not show Alabama threatened by the storm prior to his tweet warning Alabama.

The paths track the center of the storm, hurricane force winds can extend over 100 miles from the center, thus showing almost all hitting Alabama with strong life threatening storms. I see you and many commenters here are among the dumbest weather snobs on Earth.

UWDude
09-08-2019, 02:16 PM
Trump trolling the media XD

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1170546650651271169

If you turn on TV all you see's a bunch of "what the fucks"
Dude is dating so and so blabbering bout such and such
And that ain't Jersey Shore, homie that's the news
And these the same people that supposed to be telling us the truth

-Lupe Fiasco
The Words I Never Said

PursuePeace
09-08-2019, 03:07 PM

You should look into TrumpXalta.

Schifference
09-08-2019, 04:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpQl6vWH41A

UWDude
09-25-2019, 10:53 PM
This was a very, very, very important story, guys. We really should have hammered Trump more on this one.

XNavyNuke
02-09-2020, 10:34 AM
FOIA Email dump on this matter. My favorite so far is page 85. The internal response to the wailings of a NOAA Biologist in Washington State. It is funny to watch the bureaucrats get their skivvies in wad.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/6749506-LEOPOLD-FOIA-NOAA-Hurricane-Dorian-Sharpie-Gate.html

XNN

devil21
02-09-2020, 12:30 PM
FOIA Email dump on this matter. My favorite so far is page 85. The internal response to the wailings of a NOAA Biologist in Washington State. It is funny to watch the bureaucrats get their skivvies in wad.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/6749506-LEOPOLD-FOIA-NOAA-Hurricane-Dorian-Sharpie-Gate.html

XNN

I scrolled through a good portion of it. Is it any wonder .gov is mostly a money sucking blackhole? Those people spent WAY too much time fretting over a stupid sharpie line on a picture, kowtowing to media requests for comment and attempting to assuage the hurt feelz of random emailing people. How many dollars did all of that cost in lost man hours?? They should have just flat out ignored all of it, maybe with the exception of the generalized statement that AL wasn't in harms way. Ridiculous.