PDA

View Full Version : Workplace Bias: 1-in-5 Managers Won’t Hire Pro-Trump Workers

DamianTV
08-25-2019, 09:45 PM
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/washington-secrets/workplace-bias-1-in-5-managers-wont-hire-pro-trump-workers

American workers who like President Trump face sweeping bias against them, with some managers refusing to hire his supporters and those already employed facing discrimination and mockery, according to a new study.

In a survey of hiring managers and workers shared with Secrets, the marketing firm Airtasker found that left-leaning firms are especially anti-Trump, with 20% vowing to reject a job candidate who backs the president.

And those who support Trump and who are already in the workplace face substantial mockery, including name-calling. The survey listed the responses to several examples of what pro-Trump workers face:

28%, joking about them.
23%, overly critical of them.
21%, being dismissive of them.
11% facing name calling.

The survey found that even more than Trump, a job candidate’s view on race and gender politics will help, or hurt, their chances of getting a job.

https://mediadc.brightspotcdn.com/dims4/default/134fde4/2147483647/strip/true/crop/800x1073+0+0/resize/800x1073!/quality/90/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmediadc.brightspotcdn.com%2F61% 2F7d%2F18ec0c7042cbbffbdd7a1621e523%2Fcasual-discrimination-in-the-workplace-05.jpg

It found, for example, that 65% of hiring managers want to know a job candidate’s position on race, and that 29% will reject a candidate if their position isn’t in line with the manager’s.

“The majority of hiring managers said it was important to understand a candidate’s stance on racial equality (65%), gender equality (59%), and LGBTQ+ rights (54%). Another 38% felt the same about immigration, and 32% would want to know about an applicant’s politics,” said the survey analysis.

It added: “While not as many hiring managers actually turned away a job seeker based on a strongly held belief, each of these controversial topics led to some level of rejection: For example, 29% of hiring managers vetoed a candidate for his or her stance on racial equality, and 27% did so for gender equality.”

Full article at link.

---

This is exactly why Privacy is critically important. If you get outted as a Trump Supporter or anyone who is not in line with the current political faction in power, you face expulsion from society, which is exactly what happens when people refuse to hire you based on some opinion you may have that has zero fucking relevance to your job. The only time I could EVER see this being applicable is if the job was for an opposing candidate, and said job was political in its nature. However, people filter themselves out as pro Trump folks out there would not apply for jobs promoting who ever is running against Trump (Hittlary last election and whoever is up against him next election).

Brian4Liberty
08-25-2019, 09:47 PM
And how would they know? Oh yeah, Facebook, Twitter, etc...

Swordsmyth
08-25-2019, 09:47 PM
This will end in bloodshed.

kpitcher
08-26-2019, 02:12 AM
Any additional polling done on this? I wonder if this a purely anti trump or would asking about democrat / republican actually show a difference? A quick search didn't show a similar poll about Obama supporters when he was in office. It'd be interesting to see how how this has been trending over time.

scaryassea
08-26-2019, 04:00 AM
Just FIRE those 1 managers. People need good jobs.

scaryassea
08-26-2019, 04:03 AM
This will end in bloodshed.

Idiots getting jobs in big companies and high rank jobs positions has been going on since 30 years. Why did 150 or Fortune 500 companies close down ??

Actually Presidents and Prime ministers are BIGGEST IDIOTS but they are shown top rank people of the countries.

15 years back, I was doing a Job in a IT/Tech related company. One day I told the owner of company "I need 100% more salary/wages".

The owner said "no". After 2 days I resigned from the job. That IDIOT would talk about space, moon etc.. but he will not give 100% raise in salary.

Schifference
08-26-2019, 04:40 AM
Idiots getting jobs in big companies and high rank jobs positions has been going on since 30 years. Why did 150 or Fortune 500 companies close down ??

Actually Presidents and Prime ministers are BIGGEST IDIOTS but they are shown top rank people of the countries.

15 years back, I was doing a Job in a IT/Tech related company. One day I told the owner of company "I need 100% more salary/wages".

The owner said "no". After 2 days I resigned from the job. That IDIOT would talk about space, moon etc.. but he will not give 100% raise in salary.

How long were you at that job before telling the owner you needed your salary doubled?

scaryassea
08-26-2019, 05:03 AM
How long were you at that job before telling the owner you needed your salary doubled?

That is over. Now I am a small business owner. Business not going that well so I am looking for job in USA also. But my business should help me earn the money I need.

Schifference
08-26-2019, 05:37 AM
That is over. Now I am a small business owner. Business not going that well so I am looking for job in USA also. But my business should help me earn the money I need.

If you are the owner of a small business and times are hard, you should just double your salary.

scaryassea
08-26-2019, 05:52 AM
If you are the owner of a small business and times are hard, you should just double your salary.

United States of America will be in serious trouble. GAME OVER

Schifference
08-26-2019, 06:13 AM
United States of America will be in serious trouble. GAME OVER

You are not worth the keystroke effort. Your boss for who knows how long is supposed to double your salary because you need it. Why did you agree to work for half pay to begin with? If your previous boss could just double your salary according to you and you were worth so much compensation, why don't you just double your salary and live a prosperous life? Typing in bold "That is over" and bold caps "GAME OVER" means what exactly?

Working Poor
08-26-2019, 06:38 AM
I wonder how many are rejected because they support Hillary?

TheCount
08-26-2019, 06:42 AM
K.

Schifference
08-26-2019, 06:53 AM

I think as time goes on people won't want to admit or will deny they supported Hillary.

Schifference
08-26-2019, 06:55 AM
The problem with the workplace is people for some reason think it is there place to express their private views. In days of old people went to work to be productive and work not gossip.

Slave Mentality
08-26-2019, 07:34 AM
The problem with the workplace is people for some reason think it is there place to express their private views. In days of old people went to work to be productive and work not gossip.

Yes indeed. People who bring their politics to work are lame. Leave that shit at the trailer. This is good advice for all you (D)s and (R)s out there in Liberty Land.

Anti Globalist
08-26-2019, 07:39 AM
I could care less who my workers support as long as they can do the job.

Superfluous Man
08-26-2019, 09:33 AM
The content of the OP doesn't support the thread title.

It's only among the subset of hiring managers who identify as left-wing themselves that the number who wouldn't hire Trump supporters rises to as high as 1 in 5. I'm somewhat surprised it's that low.

timosman
08-26-2019, 09:37 AM

It's only among the subset of hiring managers who identify as left-wing themselves that the number who wouldn't hire Trump supporters rises to as high as 1 in 5. I'm somewhat surprised it's that low.

Hiring decisions are not made in vacuum and a small minority, having strong convictions, can influence much larger pool of candidates. The 1/5 can easily block over 50% of the "wrong" candidates.

Schifference
08-26-2019, 09:40 AM
I always felt there was bias in all facets of business. I thought if you were a woman purchasing agent you might tend to purchase from females rather than males. I thought if you were gay you would hire or support gays. If it is free market you should be able to hire who you want.

shakey1
08-26-2019, 01:40 PM
Sometimes less said best said. :speaknoevil:

Zippyjuan
08-26-2019, 01:55 PM

The actual survey says 18% would make a no- hire decision based on politics in general- not just because they supported Trump or not.

Link to the survey: https://www.airtasker.com/blog/discrimination-in-the-workplace/

https://www.airtasker.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Casual-Discrimination-in-the-Workplace-01-768x847.jpg

And conservatives were more likely to reject a candidate based on their politics than liberals were:

If someone at the company were to find an opinion they didn’t agree with on your profile, it could have game-changing ramifications: 51% of hiring managers who leaned left and another 57% who leaned right said they would not hire a qualified candidate if they expressed a strong online opinion about a controversial political issue.

Working Poor
08-26-2019, 02:16 PM
I think as time goes on people won't want to admit or will deny they supported Hillary.

I think if I were in a position to hire people I would not trust a Hillary supporter.

Superfluous Man
08-26-2019, 02:22 PM
If you're politically opinionated and indiscreet about posting your political views online, you almost can't win.

I know a guy who pretty openly advertised his libertarian/anarchist views, and at the time of an election when all the statists were showing off their "I voted" stickers he cheerfully boasted about how he didn't vote. People were shocked by it, and those close to him who knew he was looking for a job at the time were especially horrified, and warned him that he was hurting his job prospects with that. Whether Democrat or Republican, while they may not be happy to see someone who voted for the opposite candidate, this guy who refused to vote for any at all was simply unacceptable. He was much worse, and in their eyes much less desirable as an employee, than someone who just voted for the candidate they hate.

Sadly, the people who gave him these warnings were probably right.

dannno
08-26-2019, 02:36 PM

1 out of 1,500 probably.

ProBlue33
08-26-2019, 03:35 PM
If you are in an interview, and they say who did vote for in 2016, isn't that a loaded question ?
Isn't it an unfair question to ask given the tribal nature of politics ?

Superfluous Man
08-26-2019, 03:42 PM
If you are in an interview, and they say who did vote for in 2016, isn't that a loaded question ?

They definitely shouldn't ask it in interviews, at least not typically. But you should be aware that they often will check out any Facebook and Twitter stuff that you have out there that's visible to the public, as well as anything else that will come up if they google you. And your donations to political candidates is easy for them to find.

Danke
08-26-2019, 04:14 PM

Why Vermin Supreme, of course, why you asking?

nikcers
08-26-2019, 04:19 PM

It's sort of like asking someone who is their favorite superhero.

nikcers
08-26-2019, 04:30 PM
Its getting a lot more common for large corporations to screen people who aren't aren't tolerant and they have psychologically profiled a lot of white liberals and they know that they pretend to be into diversity but behind their false ego they are xenophobic. So i feel bad for them because corporations if given the chance will select others over them because they create work environments that are less efficient and hurt productivity.