PDA

View Full Version : ed rollins to become huckabee campaign manager

scandinaviany3
12-14-2007, 12:13 PM
Veteran Republican strategist Ed Rollins has been named as the new campaign chairman for surging GOP presidential candidate Mike Huckabee, FOX News has learned.

Rollins most famously directed Ronald Reagan's 1984 reelection campaign, helping the former president carry 49 states.

Rollins lends credibility and experience to a campaign that initially seemed unprepared to handle the sudden popularity. Only weeks ago, the biggest names Huckabee carried with him on the trail were actor Chuck Norris and wrestler Ric Flair.

The Rollins announcement, to be made at 2 p.m. Friday in Concord, N.H., comes as the former Arkansas governor and Baptist preacher translates his leap in early voting states into a foothold nationally.

An American Research Group poll from Dec. 9-12 of 600 likely Republican primary voters showed Huckabee tied at 21 percent nationally with former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani. The margin of error was 4 percent.

New York For Paul
12-14-2007, 12:50 PM
Ed Rollins has an interesting history.

He ran the Reagan reelection in 1984. As one former consultant said, "My grandmother could have run the Reagan reelection campaign and won." Especially against Mondale who stated in his convention that he wanted to raise taxes.

In 1989/90 I think Rollins got a huge contract with the National Republican Congressional Committee to help win the house. Many house members were furious that he was being paid millions. The Republicans didn't do so well in 1990.

In 1992, Rollins got on board with the Ross Perot campaign. At one point Ross Perot led everybody, in the end Ross Perot came in third.They had grand plans to have a campaign office in every city using Ross Perot's money. Never happened.

In 1994 He worked on Michale Huffington's campaign.

"We were the only campaign in history with an in-house masseuse and personal chef, but no get-out-the-vote effort or field staff"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/htmlContent.jhtml?html=/archive/1996/08/06/wari06.html

From Wikipedia:

Rollins worked as the campaign manager for Christine Todd Whitman in her 1993 New Jersey gubernatorial race. After organizing a campaign that led to Whitman's come from behind victory, Rollins claimed to Time magazine that he secretly paid black ministers and democratic campaign workers in order to suppress voter turnout. "We went into black churches and we basically said to ministers who had endorsed Florio, 'Do you have a special project?' And they said, 'We've already endorsed Florio.' We said, 'That's fine, don't get up on the Sunday pulpit and preach. We know you've endorsed him, but don't get up there and say it's your moral obligation that you go on Tuesday to vote for Jim Florio.'" After public outcry and calls for an investigation Rollins partially retracted some of these claims telling People magazine that his comments were "an exaggeration that turned out to be inaccurate."

ComradeVlad
12-14-2007, 12:56 PM
haha good, ed rollins is a noob

Falseflagop
12-14-2007, 12:59 PM
So What we millions of campaign managers hat are doing a much better job than ED and without the HUGE EXPENSE!!

See ya ED !

FreedomProsperityPeace
12-14-2007, 01:41 PM
This is disappointing to me. I always liked to hear his opinions on Lou Dobbs show. He was a regular guest at the end with Robert Zimmerman, and one other guy.

Pretty sad to see him take up with the Huckster.

Bradley in DC
12-14-2007, 01:48 PM
This is disappointing to me too. Ed Rollins is a great profession. There's only so much a manager can do when the candidate is, um, irregular (Perot). He could bring some needed professionalism to the Huckabee campaign and give the surge some legs. I'm sure if that helps or hurts us. :confused:

johngr
12-14-2007, 03:05 PM
Holy crap, I for some reason read Henry Rollins for a second or two. I was about to tear off my clothes and run down the street, thinking they'd gotten to him and I (and the rest of us) were not too far behind. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Badger Paul
12-14-2007, 03:10 PM
Well, if things are going bad in the Huckabee camapaign we'll find out right away because if there's one thing Ed Rollins does really well it's leak to the press. The man has absolutly no loyalty to anyone other than himself.

Oh by the way, Rollins will certainly hire Frank Luntz as Huckabee's new pollster since they've worked together on many campaigns. And don't be suprised if you hear Hal Riney's voice on any future Huckabee commercials, another Rollins patron