PDA

View Full Version : Trump seems to backtrack on gun control

Warlord
08-21-2019, 03:21 AM
He's listening:

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/458133-trump-warns-of-slippery-slope-on-gun-control-says-background-checks

nobody's_hero
08-21-2019, 05:59 AM
He needs to. The liberals aren't going to vote for him whether or not he enacts any forms of gun control. All he's really deciding is if he wants to piss off the conservatives or not. He's already pissed off some people with the bump stock ban.

donnay
08-21-2019, 06:47 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmBAfITmgSE

@11:25

President Trump realizes it is a slippery slope and so he has backed off. I believe the he is listening to a lot of strong second amendment people.

Swordsmyth
08-21-2019, 06:41 PM
This was possibly the plan all along (I don't like it if it was) or the result of Don Jr. talking to him.

Swordsmyth
08-21-2019, 06:42 PM
Does Trump need to talk to Rand now?

Has Rand said anything since supporting Red Flag laws?

Zippyjuan
08-21-2019, 06:53 PM
This was possibly the plan all along (I don't like it if it was) or the result of Don Jr. talking to him.

The NRA called and reminded him that supporting it could cost him votes. He flipped immediately.

Danke
08-21-2019, 06:56 PM
The NRA called and reminded him that supporting it could cost him votes. He flipped immediately.

TheTexan
08-21-2019, 06:58 PM

Why would the NRA oppose red flag laws?

Zippyjuan
08-21-2019, 07:03 PM

Maybe the prefer green ones? I know they don't like white ones.

Anti Globalist
08-21-2019, 07:20 PM
Good. Hopefully he doesn't change his mind.

TheTexan
08-21-2019, 07:22 PM
Maybe the prefer green ones? I know they don't like white ones.

For record, the NRA fights every day to pass reasonable gun laws to restrict gun owners in a sensible, common sense way.

I'm sure the NRA is hard at work even now, drafting reasonable red flag laws for our congress to look at.

It's very rude for you to disparage the NRA's good name by suggesting they would oppose life-saving red flag laws. They aren't some right wing extremist organization like the GOA.

CCTelander
08-21-2019, 07:29 PM

They don't. They've endorsed them for quite some time now and have probably even helped write the damned things.

CCTelander
08-21-2019, 07:32 PM
For record, the NRA fights every day to pass reasonable gun laws to restrict gun owners in a sensible, common sense way.

I'm sure the NRA is hard at work even now, drafting reasonable red flag laws for our congress to look at.

It's very rude for you to disparage the NRA's good name by suggesting they would oppose life-saving red flag laws. They aren't some right wing extremist organization like the GOA.

It's sad when brilliant satire so accurately reflects actual reality. +rep

brushfire
08-21-2019, 07:55 PM

As long as we can still hunt, as per the rights granted in the 2nd amendment (muskets and blunderbuss)

Zippyjuan
08-21-2019, 08:16 PM
Background checks may not be off the table yet. Says he will have some new gun proposals after Congress comes back in September.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/08/21/donald-trump-gun-background-checks-1470901

On Wednesday, Trump and multiple White House aides accused several media outlets of inaccurately reporting that Trump had told gun rights advocates he would not push to expand background checks. They noted that while the president has never expressed support for "universal" background checks, he has also not backed away from a commitment to exploring other changes.

"There are all types of background checks," said Trump senior adviser Kellyanne Conway. "If somebody is disturbed, if someone needs treatment, if someone should not have a firearm because of a criminal background, a felony, mental health issues, we have to make sure those folks do not procure firearms. But we cannot confiscate weapons from Americans who are procuring them and using them legally without due process. The president is not beholden to the [National Rifle Association] or other gun groups. The president is beholden to the Constitution."

On Wednesday he reiterated that position, saying that “I have an appetite for background checks — we’ll be doing background checks. We’re working with Democrats, we’re working with Republicans, and we already have very strong background checks.”

It remains unclear exactly what Trump will recommend, though, adding little clarity to the president's confounding remarks on the subject in recent weeks. Trump and his aides on Wednesday would only say that the president will offer ways to close "loopholes" in the background check system, while declining to reveal any details.

The White House did not give a timetable for the proposals — which will likely include other legislation and executive actions addressing domestic terrorism, violent video games and mental health treatment — but suggested that the package would be timed to Congress's return in early September. The president received a formal briefing on Tuesday from his staff about the possible options, according to a White House official.

enhanced_deficit
08-21-2019, 08:26 PM
President Trump realizes it is a slippery slope and so he has backed off. I believe the he is listening to a lot of strong second amendment people.

^This.

This is huge if confirmed as non-fakenews. Where are all the conservative purist GOA leaders now who had used f-word about MAGA and had questioned his sincerity?

'Gun-grabber-in-chief': Conservatives turn on Trump , 'He's a fraud and has betrayed us twice now' (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?519979-Conservative-leader-on-Trump-He-s-a-fraud-and-has-betrayed-us-twice-now&)

Third time is a charm. GOP-Adelson is back in play for 2020!

Related
Trump Bans Bump Stocks (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?519579-Trump-Bans-Bump-Stocks&)

TheTexan
08-21-2019, 09:45 PM
As long as we can still hunt, as per the rights granted in the 2nd amendment (muskets and blunderbuss)

I bagged a 210 inch buck with a bow last year :up:

That kill was made possible by the 2A, it applies to all hunting weapons, not just muskets :up:

Occam's Banana
08-21-2019, 11:15 PM
Trump seems to backtrack on gun control

Again? Which direction this time? :confused:

donnay
08-22-2019, 05:42 AM
^This.

This is huge if confirmed as non-fakenews. Where are all the conservative purist GOA leaders now who had used f-word about MAGA and had questioned his sincerity?

'Gun-grabber-in-chief': Conservatives turn on Trump , 'He's a fraud and has betrayed us twice now' (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?519979-Conservative-leader-on-Trump-He-s-a-fraud-and-has-betrayed-us-twice-now&)

Third time is a charm. GOP-Adelson is back in play for 2020!

Related
Trump Bans Bump Stocks (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?519579-Trump-Bans-Bump-Stocks&)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5hugYjUeI0

Todd
08-22-2019, 05:57 AM

Absolutely. Not to mention they show they aren't extremists by contributing immensely to the hunting safety classes to teach kids about the true meaning of the 2nd Amendment.

brushfire
08-22-2019, 09:38 AM

That kill was made possible by the 2A, it applies to all hunting weapons, not just muskets :up:

A bow? The militia didnt hunt with bows. Are we talking about the same constitution?

eleganz
08-22-2019, 01:34 PM
I don't know about "listening", I mentioned this in another thread about red flag laws, that Trump is just saying as cover for the news cycle. For the most part, he knows where he needs to be on 2A

Nice to know you're on the forums here with us Joe Rogan.

Zippyjuan
08-22-2019, 07:18 PM