PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul to be on DC ballot, I think

Bradley in DC
12-14-2007, 11:50 AM
There have been numerous last minute snags on a host of fronts (not my fault, I washed my hands of any responsibility a month ago but still helped through today), but it appears as though the campaign will file a full slate of delegate candidates and alternates (with several substitutions) and 550+ signatures today. The minimum is 300. To the extent most of those signatures came from people I recruited and trained and armed with walking lists of registered Republicans, the signatures should be good.

Giuliani has filed his previously. McCain and Romney have been circulating for a while and should be fine. Huckabee and Thompson filed their slate just this month and got a very late start circulating petitions. I understand the Huckabee people should be able to pull this off but have not heard of any real activity from the Thompson camp.

Tancredo, Hunter, Keyes, et al., did not file slates in order to circulate petitions.

DC is a VERY difficult "state" for Republicans to get on the ballot. The Ds just pay a fee.

angrydragon
12-14-2007, 11:53 AM
Cool, thanks for the info!

Chester Copperpot
12-14-2007, 11:55 AM
good job there brad

jumpyg1258
12-14-2007, 11:57 AM
Earlier this week I noticed the first political sign up on the side of the road in DC. It was on the Baltimore Washington Parkway where it splits with Rt 50. Well today it was no longer there, guess someone took it down. Lasted for a few days longer than I thought it would.

Bradley in DC
12-14-2007, 01:34 PM
Again, I washed my hands of any authority on this a month ago so don't blame me.

There are a few requirements: signed, dated, legal affidavitesque petitions from circulators witnessing 300 signatures from valid registered Republicans in DC. (I went over this extensively with volunteer organization and I understand we're good there).

Also, there needs to be signed Statements of Acceptance AND signed and notarized Declarations of Candidacy OR, in place of those two, a signed and notarized Withdrawal Statement.

I'm trying to help the official campaign now since there is a huge clusterf*ck regarding the forms. People are out of town faxing things, some people have been unreachable, some substitutions on the slate, etc.

MicroBalrog
12-14-2007, 01:52 PM
I know it's none of my business [not being an American and all] but is there an effort in place to GOTV on the D.C. primaries? According to Bradley's previous statements, it is a place with really low turnouts, and Ron could win it if we managed to GOTV.

jmdrake
12-14-2007, 02:20 PM
Great news! Congrats to Bradley and everyone who worked on this! And stop scarring me like this! :D

kylejack
12-14-2007, 02:25 PM
When does DC vote?

angrydragon
12-14-2007, 02:40 PM
2/12

kylejack
12-14-2007, 02:41 PM
:/ That's pretty late.

Bradley in DC
12-14-2007, 10:17 PM
Petitions, forms, letters, assorted legal things were all filed this afternoon in order to get Dr. Paul on the ballot--not without more than enough last minute drama.

I don't know about Thompson but our Huckabee friends (being genuine here) reportedly gathered more signatures than we did in less than half the time. I'm pretty sure most of ours came off of my lists of registered Republicans so we should be good. I don't know how meticulously the Huckabee people were on that front.

angrydragon
12-14-2007, 10:20 PM
So Ron Paul is officially on now?

fortilite
12-14-2007, 10:22 PM

They need to confirm the signatures and paperwork first for it to be official.

Bradley in DC
12-14-2007, 10:44 PM

Dec 17-27, 2007 Challenge other candidates’ nominating petitions.
Dec 28 Publication of fictitious ballot in DC Register and lottery for ballot positions.

and for good measure:
Jan 14 Last day to register Republican to vote for Dr. Paul in primary!

inibo
12-15-2007, 01:20 AM
Dec 17-27, 2007 Challenge other candidates’ nominating petitions.
Dec 28 Publication of fictitious ballot in DC Register and lottery for ballot positions.

and for good measure:
Jan 14 Last day to register Republican to vote for Dr. Paul in primary!

I tried to get the honcho in DC GOP HQ to clarify if DC has (or had) a change of affiliation deadline like Maryland had on November 19th. He said he wasn't sure. I'm pretty much trust your knowledge of DC politics. Could a Democrat change their affiliation to Republican on the 13th of January and still vote for Ron Paul in the Republican primary?

Bradley in DC
12-15-2007, 01:44 AM
I tried to get the honcho in DC GOP HQ to clarify if DC has (or had) a change of affiliation deadline like Maryland had on November 19th. He said he wasn't sure. I'm pretty much trust your knowledge of DC politics. Could a Democrat change their affiliation to Republican on the 13th of January and still vote for Ron Paul in the Republican primary?

That's the best answer I've got from the DC Board of Elections and Ethics, yes.