PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Harry and Death Wish: Barr talks pop culture justice

timosman
08-11-2019, 04:26 PM
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/dirty-harry-and-death-wish-barr-talks-pop-culture-justice

August 09, 2019

Attorney General William Barr thinks a sense of justice is hardwired into humanity — and pointed to the classic 1970s crime thrillers Dirty Harry and Death Wish as proof during a podcast released Thursday.

Barr joined Crime Story, which focuses on the U.S. criminal justice system through a blend of expert commentary and storytelling, for a sit-down interview in June. Host Kary Antholis and Barr met years back when Barr was on the board of directors of Time Warner and Antholis was working for Cinemax, bonding over Barr’s appreciation for the Cinemax crime drama Banshee, which Antholis helped with at the time.

Jonathan Tropper, Banshee’s co-creator, described the show as being about “a guy who doesn’t follow the rules, who has his own moral code, and isn’t caught up in the letter of the law, and in some strange way becomes a much more effective sheriff than the one who would.”

In the discussion, Barr drew a distinction between justice and the the criminal justice process, emphasizing that justice is the “right outcome” as he lamented the idea that, in his view, “Americans have tended recently to view it more as a process, as if the criminal justice process is justice.”

“It isn’t,” Barr said. “It’s a process that’s supposed to achieve justice, but very frequently doesn’t.”

Barr said that there is an inherent human longing for just and righteous outcomes.

“I believe a sense of justice is hardwired into human beings,” Barr said. “Don’t ask me why, but it is there and it’s satisfying to see justice done. And we feel angry when we see injustice that isn’t rectified.”

To emphasize his point, Barr brought up Dirty Harry, starring Clint Eastwood, and Death Wish, starring Charles Bronson.

“That’s the theme in the Dirty Harry movies and so forth,” he said.

Dirty Harry, released in 1971, was the first of five films starring Eastwood as “Dirty” Harry Callahan, a San Francisco police detective whose gruff demeanor, unorthodox approach, and ruthless methods for combating crime made the character iconic. One of the lines in the film spoken by the titular character — “You've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?” — is among the more memorable quotes in film history.

Death Wish, which came out in 1974, was the first of two movies starring Bronson as Paul Kersey, an architect whose wife is murdered and daughter is sexually assaulted during a home invasion, leading him to pursue a life of vigilante justice.

Barr said that both films appeal to the sense of justice that people feel in a visceral way.

“That kind of thing that gives people a sense of satisfaction when they see it,” Barr said. “There are a lot of issues that come up even today in fighting terrorism and other things where these issues are pitted against each other.”

Barr pointed to a scene from Dirty Harry where Eastwood’s character shoots a kidnapper in the leg and, ignoring the criminal’s pleas for a lawyer, begins stepping on the wounded leg when the kidnapper refuses to tell Harry where the girl he kidnapped is located.

“I say, now, was that an unjust or morally repellent act? Is the reason that the audience applauds when that happens because the audience is morally bankrupt? Or is there something else going on there?” Barr asked. “So I think these are interesting issues.”

During the interview, Barr singled out drugs as a big issue during his first stint as attorney general in the early 1990s that he still sees as a major problem today, defending the DOJ’s efforts to combat drug crime.

“My thoughts were that the original, draconian penalties were adopted because of the outcry from the black community. That was my recollection of the events,” Barr said. “In those days, there were conspiracy theories that crack and other things were a conspiracy by people who were racist to destroy the black community, and the pastors and others within the black community with the loudest voices were having to attack this.”

“And still, I generally support tough penalties for trafficking and dangerous narcotics, and right now we have 70,000 people overdosing a year,” Barr said. “It’s just unbelievable the damage that drugs are doing. I do think we need tough penalties.”

Swordsmyth
08-11-2019, 05:15 PM
Barr had Epstein killed after getting everything he needed from him?

timosman
08-11-2019, 05:16 PM
Barr had Epstein killed after getting everything he needed from him?

Allowed. :tears:

Swordsmyth
08-11-2019, 05:18 PM
Allowed. :tears:
Dirty Harry would have done it himself........................................... .

Swordsmyth
08-12-2019, 04:12 PM
Barr Visited Epstein in jail at MCC around the time of Epstein’s first incident two weeks ago (https://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/2019/08/bill-barr-allegedly-made-secret-visit-to-jail-before-epsteins-death-somethings-not-right-there/)

CCTelander
08-12-2019, 04:35 PM

Barr pointed to a scene from Dirty Harry where Eastwood’s character shoots a kidnapper in the leg and, ignoring the criminal’s pleas for a lawyer, begins stepping on the wounded leg when the kidnapper refuses to tell Harry where the girl he kidnapped is located.

So, we have the Attorney General glorifying a scene wherein a cop tortures a suspect for information in a contrived ticking time-bomb scenario as some kind of "justice"?

Am I the only one who finds this more than a little disturbing?