PDA

View Full Version : LEGION Act signed into law

Origanalist
07-30-2019, 04:31 PM
In a significant legislative victory for The American Legion, President Trump signed a bill July 30 that declares the United States has been in a state of war since Dec. 7, 1941.

The American Legion sought the declaration as a way to honor approximately 1,600 U.S. servicemembers who were killed or wounded during previously undeclared periods of war.

The LEGION Act (Let Everyone Get Involved In Opportunities for National Service Act) also opens the door for approximately 6 million veterans to access American Legion programs and benefits for which they previously had not been eligible.

“Recognizing the service of these wartime veterans is the right thing do and it is long overdue,” National Commander Brett Reistad said. “The families of those who were killed or wounded during these wartime acts should take pride in knowing that we recognize their sacrifice and service. Moreover, we are proud to welcome any of the six million living veterans from the previously unrecognized periods into our organization and call them ‘Legionnaires.’”

Now that the legislation has been signed, The American Legion’s eligibility criteria immediately changes from seven war eras to two: April 6, 1917, to Nov. 11, 1918, and Dec. 7, 1941 to a time later determined by the federal government. No other restrictions to American Legion membership are changed.

https://www.legion.org/membership/246557/legion-act-signed-law

Swordsmyth
07-30-2019, 05:52 PM
That could have some interesting side effects.

Congress has just declared war, but on whom?

Anti Globalist
07-30-2019, 06:24 PM
Wonder how this is going to play out.

oyarde
07-30-2019, 06:29 PM
I think the Legion act should pay my dues and pick up my beer tab . If Danke needs to contribute a little bit more then OK , they could just payroll deduct it from his check like his 401k .

oyarde
07-30-2019, 06:30 PM
Wonder how this is going to play out.May help a dwindling membership .

shakey1
07-30-2019, 10:12 PM
So, Dec 07, 1941 to whenever?

Occam's Banana
07-31-2019, 07:05 PM
Now that the legislation has been signed, The American Legion’s eligibility criteria immediately changes from seven war eras to two: April 6, 1917, to Nov. 11, 1918, and Dec. 7, 1941 to a time later determined by the federal government.

So, Dec 07, 1941 to whenever? forever.

Fixed.

kpitcher
07-31-2019, 10:14 PM
What rights do citizens lose during active wartime? Any pending cases, or previous cases, going to be suddenly changed because of this?

Origanalist
07-31-2019, 10:29 PM
What rights do citizens lose during active wartime? Any pending cases, or previous cases, going to be suddenly changed because of this?

Shirley you must be joking.

showpan
08-01-2019, 06:12 AM

While this is good thing for the legion, I do a lot of benefit runs in and out of the many posts around me, he does post a legitimate question. What extra rights does being in a state of war give to the feds. Can it be used as an argument to circumvent warrants? Illegal search and seizure? I can think of a long list of possible scenarios that could possibly be exploited. We have in fact been in a state of war for a much longer period if you count the endless use of troops dispatched to many, many countries since the Spanish War

Origanalist
08-01-2019, 06:57 AM
While this is good thing for the legion, I do a lot of benefit runs in and out of the many posts around me, he does post a legitimate question. What extra rights does being in a state of war give to the feds. Can it be used as an argument to circumvent warrants? Illegal search and seizure? I can think of a long list of possible scenarios that could possibly be exploited. We have in fact been in a state of war for a much longer period if you count the endless use of troops dispatched to many, many countries since the Spanish War

Good points and I agree. Perhaps I shouldn't have been so sarcastic, but in my mind we're already on such a downward spiral I'm not sure it would make a difference.

shakey1
08-01-2019, 10:27 AM

https://proudtobeafilthyliberalscum.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/leslie-nielson-shirley.jpg?w=538

Occam's Banana
08-01-2019, 01:18 PM
Over? Did you say over? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no! And it ain't over now!

Origanalist
08-01-2019, 01:25 PM
Over? Did you say over? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no! And it ain't over now!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DQdHq2uVAAEn3Ba.jpg