PDA

View Full Version : Fox News Anchor Confronts Trump Chief Of Staff Mulvaney Over Ballooning Deficit

Zippyjuan
07-28-2019, 04:27 PM
https://www.newsweek.com/fox-news-anchor-confronts-trump-official-deficit-decreasing-under-obama-1451474

Although then-candidate Donald Trump promised in 2016 to eliminate the national deficit if he was elected president, the deficit has actually ballooned significantly since he took office and is projected to grow substantially moving forward. Fox News anchor Chris Wallace confronted acting White House Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney about this fact Sunday, pointing out that the deficit had begun decreasing under former President Barack Obama before Trump took over.

"After dealing with the Great Recession in his first term, the deficit under Obama dropped by an average of 11 percent a year in his second term," Wallace pointed out to Mulvaney — who also serves as Trump's director of the Office of Management and Budget — on Fox News Sunday.

"The deficit has increased by 15 percent a year in President Trump's first two years. Under President Trump, our national debt has increased by more than $2 trillion," Wallace continued. He pointed out that estimates project that the amount will "top $4 trillion," if a bipartisan budget supported by the president goes through.

Wallace asked how Mulvaney and the Trump administration could support such significant increases to the deficit, particularly when the president had promised to do precisely the opposite.

"Take our budget. Adopt our budget," Mulvaney responded, referring to the president's original budget proposal submitted to Congress earlier this year. "'Dead on arrival' is the word that everyone always uses, but if you actually went to look at it and saw what Donald Trump would do if he could pass spending bills, which he can't, you would be on your path to balance and the deficit would be down," the Trump official argued.

Wallace pushed back, pointing out that Trump enjoyed Republican control of both chambers of Congress during his first two years as president and still did not pass budgets that reduced the deficit. Mulvaney responded by saying Republican lawmakers were also to blame but not Trump, arguing that they "threw our budgets in the trash."

Trump's 2020 budget proposal, to which Mulvaney was referring, contradicted a key 2016 campaign promise made to voters by the president. It aimed to spend $1.5 trillion less on Medicaid and $845 billion less on Medicare, despite Trump promising as a presidential candidate that he was "not going to cut Medicare or Medicaid" like "every other Republican." That White House proposal, despite Mulvaney's claims, would have also been the largest federal budget in U.S. history, calling for $4.75 trillion in spending.

Democrats strongly objected to the cuts to popular social programs, compromising by granting Republicans and Trump significant increases to military spending in order to garner bipartisan support. This past week, Democrats and Republicans in the House of Representatives agreed to legislation that would spend an additional $320 billion from what the government was already spending over the next two years. It also disregards the national debt limit for the next two years, until after the 2020 election.

Trump has cheered the deal and urged the Senate to pass the legislation. He has argued that significant increases on military spending are victory for soldiers and veterans. But as Wallace pointed out, the budget deal is estimated to balloon the national deficit further, despite Trump's previous promises.

Another major reason for the ballooning deficit are the president's signature tax cuts, which have been projected to add nearly $2 trillion to the national debt over the next decade. Trump and Republicans argued that the tax cuts, which largely benefited the wealthiest Americans and corporations, would end up paying for themselves through increased spending and investment in the economy. That promise has, thus far, failed to materialize.

But worth noting that Congress, not the president controls spending . Though Trump did have two years of control of both houses and did not reduce any spending.

UWDude
07-28-2019, 04:32 PM
OH, ALL CAPS
THIS MUST BE A GOOD TRICK TO USE AGAINST LIBERTARIANS!
THIS WILL BE THE ONE THAT MAKES THEM CHANGE THEIR MINDS!

Zippyjuan
07-28-2019, 04:36 PM
OH, ALL CAPS
THIS MUST BE A GOOD TRICK TO USE AGAINST LIBERTARIANS!
THIS WILL BE THE ONE THAT MAKES THEM CHANGE THEIR MINDS!

Newsweek headlines always copy in all caps. I didn't bother re-typing it.

UWDude
07-28-2019, 04:37 PM
Newsweek headlines always copy in all caps. I didn't re-type it.

OH SHIT, REALLY, WELL I GUESS IT IS NEWSWEEK'S FAULT FOR BEING BOOMER CAP CLICKBAIT FAKE NEWS!!!1!!!

timosman
07-28-2019, 04:38 PM
Newsweek headlines always copy in all caps. I didn't re-type it.

https://capitalizemytitle.com/

UWDude
07-28-2019, 04:39 PM
https://capitalizemytitle.com/

YOU WOULD THINK THEY WOULD GIVE HIM THAT WEBSITE AT THE TROLL FARM
MAYBE HE IS NEW

Zippyjuan
07-28-2019, 04:42 PM
OH $#@!, REALLY, WELL I GUESS IT IS NEWSWEEK'S FAULT FOR BEING BOOMER CAP CLICKBAIT FAKE NEWS!!!1!!!

I note you are not disputing what the Fox News interviewer said. Only worried about capital letters.

Swordsmyth
07-28-2019, 06:06 PM
https://www.newsweek.com/fox-news-anchor-confronts-trump-official-deficit-decreasing-under-obama-1451474

But worth noting that Congress, not the president controls spending . Though Trump did have two years of control of both houses and did not reduce any spending.
RINOs don't count.

Ender
07-28-2019, 07:08 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?537262-Another-Bipartisan-Rip-Off-Blame-The-Fed!&p=6834040#post6834040

Anti Federalist
07-28-2019, 07:22 PM
I'm taking a collapsatarian view on this.

There is no stopping this out control spending, from the president to the congress to the courts to the AmeriKunt people, they all want more.

Just the bill on the desk is $24 TRILLION dollars, that is not including trillions more in down the line mandated payouts. That can never be paid, it is a ludicrous amount that cannot even be reckoned properly.

So fine, spend like drunken sailors, the more the merrier.

Just like it did in the USSR, the bill will come due and the whole house of cards will come crashing down.

Maybe we can re-build something decent in the collapse's wake, after a separation takes place.

Or maybe not...maybe the whole shitting mess is just going to get washed away in the unwholesome flood, and the whole world will plunge into a new dark ages for 1000 years.

phill4paul
07-28-2019, 07:45 PM
I'm taking a collapsatarian view on this.

There is no stopping this out control spending, from the president to the congress to the courts to the AmeriKunt people, they all want more.

Just the bill on the desk is $24 TRILLION dollars, that is not including trillions more in down the line mandated payouts. That can never be paid, it is a ludicrous amount that cannot even be reckoned properly.

So fine, spend like drunken sailors, the more the merrier.

Just like it did in the USSR, the bill will come due and the whole house of cards will come crashing down.

Maybe we can re-build something decent in the collapse's wake, after a separation takes place.

Or maybe not...maybe the whole shitting mess is just going to get washed away in the unwholesome flood, and the whole world will plunge into a new dark ages for 1000 years.

I'm with you on this. Was there when you recommended the "Nuke" avatar New Years before last.

I have a progressive friend, I know right?, but we have been friends forever. We can disagree. He often posts on FB, when we disagree in front of his progressive friends, that "he loves me, I'm an intellectual, kind and caring to a fault in personal company, would give the shirt off his back, but doesn't believe in government welfare." But my support of..well many at this point of Trumps positions, leads him to say, "Sometimes it seems Phill just wants to see Rome burn."
I've replied "Rome is already burning. You just don't see the conflagration. You're not building a pond with an off-grid pump."
Shit's coming down the pike. This degree of debt and moral degeneracy is coming to a peak.
Beans, bullets and boomsticks.

tod evans
07-28-2019, 07:49 PM
Beans, bullets and boomsticks.

Planes, saws-n-chisels.........

phill4paul
07-28-2019, 07:57 PM
Planes, saws-n-chisels.........

Good relationships with neighbors of like mind.

jct74
07-28-2019, 08:09 PM
I note you are not disputing what the Fox News interviewer said. Only worried about capital letters.

Well it is annoying and pretty lazy. Bookmark timosman's link or see this thread for next time:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?471561-How-to-get-rid-of-ALL-CAPS-for-thread-titles