PDA

View Full Version : Beto O’Rourke: White Nationalists Have ‘Appropriated’ the Betsy Ross Flag

Anti Federalist
07-04-2019, 12:36 AM
Beto O’Rourke: White Nationalists Have ‘Appropriated’ the Betsy Ross Flag

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/07/03/beto-orourke-white-nationalists-have-appropriated-the-betsy-ross-flag/

Presidential candidate Beto O’Rourke (D) said Wednesday that he respects Nike’s decision to pull its Betsy Ross flag sneakers and added that white nationalist groups have “appropriated” the early flag for their own dark purposes.

“I think its really important to take into account the impression that kind of symbol would have for many of our fellow Americans, respect the decision Nike made and grateful for the conversation,” O’Rourke told reporters, according to Jewish Insider senior political reporter Ben Jacobs.

O’Rourke is not the only presidential candidate to support Nike’s decision. Former HUD Secretary and former San Antonio Mayor Julián Castro (D) told MSNBC Wednesday that he was “glad” Nike dropped the sneakers and drew a comparison to the Confederate flag.

And look, there are a lot of things in our history that are still very painful — the Confederate flag that still flies in some places and is used as a symbol, and I believe that we need to move toward an inclusive America that understands that pain, that doesn’t wipe it away from history in the sense that it still belongs in a museum or we need to read about it and understand the significance because that’s how you learn and make sure that we don’t make the same mistakes in the future, but does not glorify it, does not celebrate it.

Nike set off the cultural firestorm this week after deciding to pull its “Betsy Ross” flag-themed sneakers, following backlash over what critics say is “offensive” symbolism associated with the flag.

“Nike has chosen not to release the Air Max 1 Quick Strike Fourth of July as it featured the old version of the American flag,” a Nike spokeswoman said, according to the Wall Street Journal.

Former NFL star Colin Kaepernick – who served as the face of Nike’s “Just Do It” campaign in 2018 – reportedly reached out to the company following its decision and confirmed that he considered the flag offensive due to its connection to the broad era of slavery.

Anti Federalist
07-04-2019, 12:36 AM
Obama's 2013 Inauguration.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D-jOOarWwAADfck?format=jpg&name=900x900

Anti Federalist
07-04-2019, 12:47 AM
Just ordered from Amazon Smile (my donations go to GOA).

https://smile.amazon.com/Founding-Fathers-Flags-Embroidered-Polyester/dp/B01CYPT49G/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=13+star+Betsy+Ross+flag&qid=1562222345&s=gateway&sr=8-6

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61Q%2BGiZ2h0L._SL1200_.jpg

Anti Federalist
07-04-2019, 12:48 AM
Looks like I'm not the only one.

Lots of them are sold out.

Swordsmyth
07-04-2019, 12:54 AM
Long live bad-assed, evil, racist, and Christian white men!

Origanalist
07-04-2019, 12:55 AM
Just ordered from Amazon Smile (my donations go to GOA).

https://smile.amazon.com/Founding-Fathers-Flags-Embroidered-Polyester/dp/B01CYPT49G/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=13+star+Betsy+Ross+flag&qid=1562222345&s=gateway&sr=8-6

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61Q%2BGiZ2h0L._SL1200_.jpg

The NRA is not your friend. + rep

Swordsmyth
07-04-2019, 12:55 AM
Even if "white nationalists" did make use of it as a symbol it would be stupid to let them have it by abandoning it to them.

Sammy
07-04-2019, 02:35 AM
Beto is a self hating white man!

Danke
07-04-2019, 03:10 AM

Anti Globalist
07-04-2019, 07:47 AM
Beto needs to stop being a self loathing white guy.

Superfluous Man
07-04-2019, 08:00 AM
I doubt that the Betsy Ross flag was a white nationalist symbol a week ago. But it is now.

Anti Globalist
07-04-2019, 08:04 AM
I doubt that the Betsy Ross flag was a white nationalist symbol a week ago. But it is now.
It certainly wasn't during Obamas inauguration.

Superfluous Man
07-04-2019, 08:07 AM
It certainly wasn't during Obamas inauguration.

No it wasn't. And I doubt any white nationalists ever thought it was until Kaepernik et al decided they didn't like it, and gave the WNs a golden opportunity to appropriate it at that point as a way to give that crowd the middle finger.

Cleaner44
07-04-2019, 08:41 AM

Apparently Nike is a corporation of white nationalists because they are the only ones using the Betsy Ross flag these days.

nobody's_hero
07-04-2019, 08:58 AM
"Nationalism!" is the new "Racism!"

I wish it were possible to put into words how meaningless the term has become due to incorrect use/overuse.

"WOLF!"

Anti Federalist
07-04-2019, 09:23 AM
No it wasn't. And I doubt any white nationalists ever thought it was until Kaepernik et al decided they didn't like it, and gave the WNs a golden opportunity to appropriate it at that point as a way to give that crowd the middle finger.

Raises hand...based on the fact that many suppliers were sold out, at least on Amazon last night, I'd say it's more than just "white nationalists" who are giving the finger to "that crowd".

I know I will be in three days...going up proudly next the Gadsen.

Anti Federalist
07-04-2019, 09:25 AM

And able, through thrift, hard work, denial of instant gratification and impulse control, to rise above those indignities.

Instead of demanding trillions in handouts, hush money and ransom.

sam1952
07-04-2019, 10:16 AM

Nice, nike “check” on the window treatment...

Brian4Liberty
07-04-2019, 11:19 AM
Beto is a self hating white man!

Beto is a virtue signaling, pandering, lying douchebag.

nikcers
07-04-2019, 11:30 AM
The double down on hatred is so obvious that even the blind can see it.

RJB
07-04-2019, 11:51 AM
The rare white nationalist and even rarer white supremacist are not the threats to our liberty, but rather the ones who shout accusations with those words to silence the champions of liberty.

nikcers
07-04-2019, 11:56 AM
The rare white nationalist and even rarer white supremacist are not the threats to our liberty, but rather the ones who shout accusations with those words to silence the champions of liberty.

Most people have too short of a memory to remember when they tried to shut Ron Paul up by claiming he was a racist. Some of those people who supported Ron Paul will even help the democrats use this tactic if they think it could help Trump lose. This is why you don't let hatred in because it corrupts absolutely.

euphemia
07-04-2019, 12:21 PM
Long live bad-assed, evil, racist, and Christian white men!

Some of you might follow Walter Williams on FB. He has something to say about this today. I can’t link from the interface I’m on right now. Maybe someone can find it and link.

Anti Federalist
07-04-2019, 12:33 PM
Some of you might follow Walter Williams on FB. He has something to say about this today. I can’t link from the interface I’m on right now. Maybe someone can find it and link.

Was this it?

Walter E. Williams
July 1 at 2:57 PM ·
Assault on Western Civilization
By Walter E.Williams July 2, 2019

Western civilization was founded on a set of philosophies that focus strongly on the sanctity of individuals and their power of logic and reason. This belief led to a desire to trust things that could be proven to be true or legitimate, from government to science. Judeo-Christian morality has formed the basis of most Western notions of ethics and behavioral standards. Thus, the attack on Western civilization must begin with the attack on the church and Christian values, and, just as important, the family unit must be undermined. The reason why the church, Christian values and family are targets of the left is they want people's loyalty and allegiance to be to the state. The church, Christianity and the family stand in the way. Let's look at some of the left's agenda.

Joe Biden, criticizing sexual assault, said, "This is English jurisprudential culture, a white man's culture," adding, "It's got to change." The Western world's culture isn't perfect but women fare better under it than any other culture. Just ask yourself: If you're a feminist, in which countries would you like to live? Would it be Saudi Arabia and other Middle Eastern countries, China or countries on the African continent, north or south of the Sahara? In those countries, women encounter all kinds of liberty restrictions plus in at least 30 countries on the African continent, the Middle East and Southeast Asia, female genital mutilation is practiced. You might ask Joe Biden what part of the "white man's culture" needs to be changed.

The greatest efforts to downplay the achievements of Western civilization start at our colleges and universities. An American Council of Trustees and Alumni 2016 study reported that "the overwhelming majority of America's most prestigious institutions do not require even the students who major in history to take a single course on United States history or government." Because of this ignorance, our young people fall easy prey to charlatans, quacks and liars who wish to downgrade our founders and the American achievement.

In 2012, 2014 and 2015, an ACTA-commissioned survey of college graduates found that less than 20% could accurately identify the effect of the Emancipation Proclamation. Less than half could identify George Washington as the American general at Yorktown. One-third of college graduates were unaware that FDR introduced the New Deal. Over one-third of the college graduates surveyed could not place the American Civil War in its correct 20-year time frame. Nearly half of the college graduates could not identify correctly the term lengths of U.S. senators and representatives.

The left in our country often suggests that people who stand up for Western civilization are supporting a racial hierarchy. The fact is that the history of the world is one of arbitrary tyrannical abuse and control. Poverty has been the standard fare for a vast majority of mankind. America became the exception to what life was like. That exceptionalism inspired imitators, and our vision of freedom and liberty spread to what has become known as the Western world.

Many do not appreciate the fact that freedom and competition in both the marketplace and idea arena unleashed a level of entrepreneurism, risk-taking and creativity heretofore unknown to mankind. Look at the marketplace of ideas. The Nobel Prize has been awarded to 860 people since its inception in 1901. The prizewinner distribution: Americans (375), United Kingdom (131) Germany (108), France (69) and Sweden (32); that's 83% of Nobel Prizes won. The large majority of other Nobel winners are mostly westerners. I might add that Japan has 27 Nobel Prize winners, but their first winner was awarded in 1949, after WWII led Japan to became more westernized.

There's a reason why the West leads the world in terms of scientific innovation, wealth and military might and it has little to do with genetics. Instead, it's the environment of freedom, both in the market for goods and in the idea marketplace. Rigorous competition brings out the best in mankind. Leftists and would-be tyrants find Western values offensive.

Walter E. Williams is a professor of economics at George Mason University.

RJB
07-04-2019, 12:43 PM
Yeah, I keep hearing how terrible we are as a people and how inferior Western society is to other more vibrant cultures. However, everyone wants to move here, and even Kaepernick wouldn't leave, and he has the money to have a good life anywhere.

AngryCanadian
07-04-2019, 12:51 PM
Beto needs to stop being a self loathing white guy.

Beto should pretending that his Latino, because according to what i had found out on his Bio that dude is pure Irish Euporean.

Anti Federalist
07-04-2019, 12:52 PM
Yeah, I keep hearing how terrible we are as a people and how inferior Western society is to other more vibrant cultures. However, everyone wants to move here, and even Kaepernick wouldn't leave, and he has the money to have a good life anywhere.

It's not a concentration camp if you can leave and go home.

euphemia
07-04-2019, 01:16 PM
Was this it?

Yes. Thank you.

Swordsmyth
07-04-2019, 06:03 PM
It still isn't.

RJB
07-04-2019, 06:17 PM
It is not. SJWs like you, Beta O, and Kaepernick do NOT get to rewrite MY country's history. It still is what it was. Neg Rep.

euphemia
07-04-2019, 06:37 PM
Anyone notice BetaBoy is denigrating a symbol that was made by a woman? He’s anti woman.