PDA

View Full Version : KENTUCKY MAN IS TOLD GIVING USED GLASSES TO THE HOMELESS IS AGAINST THE LAW

Suzanimal
07-01-2019, 04:38 PM
KENTUCKY MAN IS TOLD GIVING USED GLASSES TO THE HOMELESS IS AGAINST THE LAW

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Holland Kendall has worked to help the homeless for the past 30 years. He created Kendall Optometry Ministry, Inc in 2003 and has given out thousands of used eyeglasses.

It's an extension out of Fern Creek Baptist Church. A letter he received a month ago is calling for an end to these free clinics here in Kentucky.

Kendall believes it's his duty to help people see, "because I know that there are people on the streets in Louisville who would be off the streets of Louisville if they could see."

He says not everyone is able to afford eye care, "These are all of the glasses that we have for this free glasses clinic. Those glasses are automatically selected by a computer program that I wrote which is on this desktop right here."

This equipment has been used in 79 countries. The person's eyes are measured and the computer prints out a list of glasses that match the prescription. You can find the glasses through their filing system.

Glasses come from The Lions Club and other organizations, "We don't give out glasses that we would not wear ourselves."

Originally they had an optometrist partner with them, but the Kentucky Board of Optometric Examiners and the Kentucky Board of Ophthalmic Dispensers threatened to take their license away.

Kendall said, "Optometrist by law have to hand out new glasses and these are used glasses. We understand that that is reasonable." (no, it's not)

The Ministry held another meeting in March and received a letter saying in part, 'It would be a violation of law if eyeglasses provided are not new, first quality and made to meet the individuals personal prescriptions. 'Going on to say that 'they need to have a license.'

"We are not trying to hurt anybody. If we thought this ministry was harming anybody, we would never do it," said Kendall.

Kendall is going up against the Board this weekend. The non profit has a free clinic at Norton Healthcare at the end of July, depending on the Board's ruling, they may have to cancel it.

We did reach out to the Examination Board and are waiting for a response.

https://www.whas11.com/amp/article/news/community/kentucky-man-is-told-giving-used-glasses-to-the-homeless-is-against-the-law/417-d3f29bd5-f160-43e1-ae45-133652ee7cb6?__twitter_impression=true

jkr
07-01-2019, 05:01 PM
NO,
YOU ARE

oyarde
07-01-2019, 07:03 PM
Is that not what the Lions cub has been doing for decades ?

Anti Globalist
07-01-2019, 07:29 PM
Apparently being kind and courteous isn't commended.

TheTexan
07-01-2019, 07:41 PM
It's not safe to wear the wrong prescription. The wearer could get a headache, or worse, become uncomfortable.

The only way to be sure that doesn't happen is for an optometrist to issue new eyewear for each patient. Re-using old eyewear can lead to mistakes, and no doctor I know of would be willing to take that chance and the ensuing wrongful headache suit when the prescription doesn't match.

Brian4Liberty
07-01-2019, 07:48 PM
I’d imagine that an industry like prescription glasses that controls their astronomical prices so completely would have a lobby that would stop someone from distributing them for free.

r3volution 3.0
07-01-2019, 07:56 PM
I’d imagine that an industry like prescription glasses that controls their astronomical prices so completely would have a lobby that would stop someone from distributing them for free.

That's crazy, like saying that politically connected drug companies run the FDA and prevent cheaper drugs from coming to market.

Love it (the medical cartel) or leave it, you unAmerican, you.

Warrior_of_Freedom
07-01-2019, 08:37 PM
It's not safe to wear the wrong prescription. The wearer could get a headache, or worse, become uncomfortable.

The only way to be sure that doesn't happen is for an optometrist to issue new eyewear for each patient. Re-using old eyewear can lead to mistakes, and no doctor I know of would be willing to take that chance and the ensuing wrongful headache suit when the prescription doesn't match.

Doesn't help optometrists do everything in their power to keep your own prescription some kind of secret.The dirtiest look you can get in your life is asking for your prescription so you can order a $7 pair of glasses online. Glasses aren't that much of a science, though they try to pretend it is. You usually only need to worry about your OD and OS numbers which go in increments of like +1.75, +2, +2.25. Or negative if you're nearsighted. Literally 0 bad can happen if you know your prescription and need stronger glasses if you go up in 0.25 increments until you can see clearly.

phill4paul
07-01-2019, 08:40 PM
As I posted on FarseBook...

"I'm willing to kit out on a non-work weekend and help with the dispensing. Need free glasses. Molon Labe."

Warrior_of_Freedom
07-01-2019, 08:41 PM
www.zennioptical.com $7 is practically free

phill4paul
07-01-2019, 08:44 PM
You can bet Luxottica is the financial backer on this.

tfurrh
07-01-2019, 08:46 PM
Homeless people should just get LASIK

Brian4Liberty
07-01-2019, 09:22 PM
www.zennioptical.com $7 is practically free

Yeah, they are probably on the list, kind of like online gambling.

Brian4Liberty
07-01-2019, 09:31 PM
Homeless people should just get LASIK

Don’t talk crazy now. These are homeless US citizens, not immigrants. But if they are trans, there may be a social justice exception for them.

Swordsmyth
07-01-2019, 10:04 PM
All glasses belong to the glasses cartel, didn't you read the fine print in the EULA?

Danke
09-05-2019, 09:01 PM

Occam's Banana
09-05-2019, 10:04 PM
Sounds like a job for the Institute for Justice (https://ij.org) ...

Suzanimal
09-06-2019, 04:14 AM

You sure don’t need glasses to see those things.

Schifference
09-06-2019, 04:58 AM
25 Years ago I thought Walgreens or anyone should have a self serve eyeglass station. A person sits down looks into the device, turns a knob for the right eye until it gets the way the person wants it, repeat for left eye. Print out the results, go pick out a frame and the proper lenses for that frame that will allow you to see the way you want.

Schifference
09-06-2019, 05:05 AM
If you cannot cut finger nails or hair without a license or allow your children to assemble and play in a group without it being sanctioned, why would anyone think they could get second hand glasses for free? Used glasses are collected all over the USA to be distributed to third world countries.

Donating Eyeglasses Through New Eyes
Link for New Eyes
New Eyes collects old glasses and distributes them to needy people in developing nations worldwide. All you have to do is mail your eyewear to their offices — be sure to read the recycling information on their website and following their shipping instructions.

New Eyes also takes hearing aids, watches, jewelry, silverware and giftware. And you or your organization or business can even sponsor a collection drive.

In addition to helping people in developing nations, New Eyes also collects donations to purchase new eyeglasses for poor children and adults in the United States.

Make a difference. Donate today.

Note: World blindness figures are from Optometry Giving Sight.