PDA

View Full Version : "Do you mind if I play through?"

Anti Federalist
07-01-2019, 12:16 PM
https://media.breitbart.com/media/2019/06/michael-de-adder-fired-trump-cartoon-640x480.png

Zippyjuan
07-01-2019, 12:48 PM
https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/30/media/canadian-cartoon-trump/index.html

Canadian cartoonist loses job after illustration of Trump went viral

A Canadian cartoonist's illustration of President Donald Trump playing golf over the bodies of two drowned migrants went viral Wednesday. Two days later, Michael de Adder said on Twitter that he had been let go by a publishing company in New Brunswick, Canada.

De Adder's illustration depicted Trump asking the two dead migrants, "Do you mind if I play through?"
The cartoon refers to the image of Oscar Alberto Martínez and his 23-month-old daughter, Angie Valeria, lying face down in water surrounded by reeds. The two drowned while attempting to cross the Rio Grande River to get into the United States.

"The highs and lows of cartooning. Today I was just let go from all newspapers in New Brunswick," De Adder tweeted. He later clarified that he had technically been under contract to work for Brunswick News Inc., and wasn't an employee who could be fired.

Brunswick News Inc. confirmed on Sunday that it canceled a freelance contract with de Adder but said "it is entirely incorrect to suggest" that it was because of the Trump cartoon.

"This is a false narrative which has emerged carelessly and recklessly on social media," the publishing company wrote. It said that de Adder never offered the Trump cartoon to the company and had already decided to "bring back" another cartoonist it said was popular with readers. "[N]egotiations had been ongoing for weeks," it stated. It did not respond to further requests from comment from CNN Business. Monday is a national holiday in Canada.

In a tweet on Monday, de Adder said he never submitted the cartoon to Brunswick News "for fear that I might be fired."

He told CNN Business in an interview on Monday that the cartoon ran in the Chronicle Herald newspaper in Halifax on June 29, "after it went viral but before it went supernova."

He described himself as feeling overwhelmed by the situation. "The way I was let go was swift and fell on the heels of the last refugee cartoon," de Adder said. "I had every reason to suspect it was over that cartoon. ... I was given no reason. I inquired and inquired."

"It was clearly my work. And Trump was always their No. 1 concern with me. Always," said de Adder. He said he stopped sending Trump cartoons, adding "It got heated every time there was a Trump in the lineup."

De Adder tweeted Sunday that he would bounce back from losing the job and that he just had to "recoup a percentage of my weekly income." De Adder has a book he said will be released in September.

Wes Tyrell, president of the Association of Canadian Cartoonists, a professional group for artists, claimed that the Brunswick newspapers avoided Trump as a subject of its cartoons — and de Adder "was doing them with regularity for the last couple of years, like any cartoonist."

Tyrell and de Adder point to family connections between the ownership of the newspaper company and Irving Oil, a major Canadian energy company with interests in the United States as well. Arthur Irving, the owner of Irving Oil, has a net worth of $6 billion, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index. The Irving family is one of the richest in Canada.

"For a brief period, de Adder was the poster boy for the anti-Trump movement — a good place to be if you're a cartoonist, but a bad place to be if you work for a foreign oil company with business ties to the United States," Tyrell wrote in a statement on Facebook.

But Brunswick News Inc. has denied any connection with Irving Oil. It told CNN Business that "Brunswick News Inc. is not connected to Irving Oil. Irving Oil is a separate business, run by another family."

De Adder's Trump depiction was the latest controversy surrounding political cartoons. Earlier this month, The New York Times said it had decided to do away with editorial cartoons altogether following outrage over an errantly published an anti-Semitic cartoon in its international edition.

Anti Federalist
07-01-2019, 12:53 PM
Uh huh...what do you make of the image itself?

Brian4Liberty
07-01-2019, 12:55 PM
"This is a false narrative which has emerged carelessly and recklessly on social media," the publishing company wrote. It said that de Adder never offered the Trump cartoon to the company and had already decided to "bring back" another cartoonist it said was popular with readers. "[N]egotiations had been ongoing for weeks,"

Ahh, the Jussie Smollet school of negotiations and career advancement.

timosman
07-01-2019, 01:00 PM
Ahh, the Jussie Smollet school of negotiations and career advancement.

I suggest you get on with the program. The sooner the better for you. :tears:

AngryCanadian
07-01-2019, 01:08 PM
https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/30/media/canadian-cartoon-trump/index.html

Good such images have no place. That image alone is pandering.

PAF
07-01-2019, 01:28 PM
BROWNSVILLE — Robert Lucio stood in the faint glow of a recent autumn sun and lamented the decade of bad breaks that forced him to close the Fort Brown Memorial Golf Course in May.

Construction of the border fence a few years ago marooned his golf course in a virtual no man’s land, leading to a sharp drop in club membership, he said.

The storied strip of land where generations of golfers sent balls streaking down manicured lawns, and where U.S. and Mexican soldiers once exchanged cannon fire, never recovered from the negative perceptions of being wedged between the fence and Mexico.

“This place is a gem,” said Lucio, 56, choking back emotion as he gazed out on the once-lush fairways now strewn with browning palm fronds and waist-high grass gone to seed after months of neglect. “It’s hard to see it like this.”

Ariel View:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1ALRUcR66Pl7m94UePa7QtR2rSQY&ll=25.890486201232783%2C-97.49739423902565&z=12

Several years have passed since the roughly 56 miles of fence and wall were installed across the Rio Grande Valley, slicing through communities, agricultural land and wildlife refuges. And the fierce struggle to stop it has mostly faded.

Yet the demise of Lucio’s business is seen by observers as a poignant reminder of the enduring effect the fence has had on border communities, especially as leading Republican presidential hopeful Donald Trump has rekindled the contentious debate with his proposal to continue building a wall along the 2,000-mile border with Mexico.

“I think it’s really unfortunate that the community’s recreational spaces were sacrificed for a symbolic effort to look tough on immigration,” said Denise Gilman, a professor at the University of Texas School of Law and a member of the UT Working Group on Human Rights and the Border Wall. “It takes its toll on people’s psyche.”

Laid on the ruins of Fort Brown, the 6,000-yard, 165-acre course debuted in the 1950s as a reasonably priced alternative to the Brownsville country club. It quickly became the training ground for generations of Brownsville golfers, including Lucio, and home to the Pan American Golf Association, which promoted the sport in the impoverished and predominantly Hispanic community.

Lucio took over stewardship of the course in 1987, renaming it the Fort Brown Memorial Golf Course to honor the site where Maj. Jacob Brown died in battle during the Mexican-American War. Remnants of the earthwork fort, constructed in 1846, can still be seen amid the rows of cottonwood, ash and elm trees that frame the Champion Bermuda greens.

“It was a beautiful little course,” said Bobby Prepeschall, the 58-year-old president of the PAGA. “We used to hang out there and barbecue, drink beer and scream and holler at the moon after it got dark.”

Business was robust right up to 2005, Lucio said, prompting him to extend his contract with Texas Southmost College, which owns the land, for an another 25 years. A year later, however, the government let slip details of the Secure Fence Act of 2006, revealing plans for hundreds of miles of fencing and wall across the Southwest border.

Building along the banks of the Rio Grande was deemed impractical; instead, the fence would be built just north of the river on a levee. Because of the meandering nature of the Rio Grande, some land on the U.S. side was stranded on the southern flank of the fence, caught between it and the river.

“Right away, even before the fence went up, it affected our business,” Lucio recalled. “We started having people not renewing their membership.”

Amid the frenzied effort to secure the border from the existential threat of immigrants and drug traffickers streaming across the international line, Lucio saw 40 percent of his revenue dry up within a year.

As the brother of state Sen. Eddie Lucio Jr., D-Brownsville, he was clued in to the escalating struggle between the federal government and border communities. Still, his appeals to Homeland Security Department officials proved ineffective.

Further complicating matters, drug cartels across the river engaged in a brutal war, committing shocking acts of violence even as sections of the fence were put in the ground between 2008 and 2009, hastening the decline of his business.

“It scared people,” said Gilbert Fasci, a longtime club manager. “People would hear the news up north, and it clung to their minds.”

A sign near the tee box of the 16th hole warning golfers against hitting balls into Mexico lest they face prosecution had been meant as a tongue-in-cheek reminder of the proximity to Matamoros, Mexico.

But on one occasion, as a battle raged in Matamoros, and the sound of gunfire echoed across the golf course, the joke suddenly appeared to be on Lucio. Soon his liability insurance jumped from $2,500 to $4,500 per year, even as his financial returns dwindled.

The final blow came about a year ago in the wake of a damaging news report that conveyed drug cartel violence in Mexico as being perilously close to Fort Brown. It wasn’t long before the local high school golf teams were prohibited from practicing or playing tournaments on the course.

“We never had an incident of any kind,” Lucio said. “But we just couldn’t get people to go out there any more.”

With financial pressures mounting, Lucio finally called it quits this year. The decision barely registered a blip in the local news. A spokesman for the college said there are no immediate plans for the property.

Though traces of the bitter fight to prevent the intrusive presence of a barrier can still be seen on the occasional bumper sticker and faded yard sign, communities largely have grown accustomed to the rust-colored beams.

“The reality is the border fence is there. It’s not going away,” said Antonio Zavaleta, an instructor in the sociology and anthropology department at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley in Brownsville. “People who live here don’t even think about it any more.”

In the few short months since the course has closed, vegetation has reclaimed the land, obscuring historical markers. These days, to walk the grounds is to raise suspicion — and likely to draw the attention of the Border Patrol.

“I wanted the government to at least say that what they’re doing here hurts people,” Lucio said, facing a Border Patrol sentinel perched atop a levee in the distance. “But I guess they got exactly what they wanted: a no man’s land.”

https://www.expressnews.com/news/local/article/Once-popular-golf-course-falls-victim-to-6696036.php

Zippyjuan
07-01-2019, 02:15 PM
Uh huh...what do you make of the image itself?

It is sad.

Anti Globalist
07-01-2019, 02:17 PM
This political cartoon seems to be getting people mad.

Zippyjuan
07-01-2019, 02:17 PM
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-48823102

Óscar Martínez drowning: El Salvador takes blame

El Salvador's President Nayib Bukele has said his country is to blame for the death of a father and daughter who drowned while trying to reach the US.

Mr Bukele told the BBC his government had to fix the issues that forced people to migrate in the first place.

Mr Bukele, who took office a month ago, promised he would work to make El Salvador a safer and better place.

The bodies of Óscar Martínez and his daughter, who drowned in late June, have been returned home for burial.

A photograph of them lying face down in the water of the Rio Grande shocked the world and reignited the debate about illegal immigration and US President Donald Trump's hardline policies.

President Bukele said the father and daughter had been fleeing El Salvador, not the United States.

"People don't flee their homes because they want to, people flee their homes because they feel they have to," he told the BBC in the capital, San Salvador.

"Why? Because they don't have a job, because they are being threatened by gangs, because they don't have basic things like water, education, health.

"We can blame any other country but what about our blame? What country did they flee? Did they flee the United States? They fled El Salvador, they fled our country. It is our fault."

He went on to say that he did condemn the treatment of migrants in the US and in Mexico, but reiterated that El Salvador had to "focus on making our country better, making our country a place where nobody has to migrate."

"I think migration is a right, but it should be an option, not an obligation. And right now it's an obligation for a lot of people."

Many of the migrants trying to enter the US say they are fleeing violence and poverty in El Salvador, Honduras and Guatemala, and plan to seek asylum in the US.

Critics of Mr Trump's tougher stance on immigration say his approach is driving migrants to take more dangerous routes.

At least 283 migrants died on the US-Mexico border in 2018, according to US Border Patrol, but human rights activists say the number is likely to be higher.

Anti Federalist
07-01-2019, 05:09 PM
It is sad.

Uh huh...I find it infuriating myself.

See, I was in South Florida, when Bill Clinton was running for office, and he promised a come one come all policy when it came to Haitian refugees, were he to be elected president.

Well, they took him at his word when he got elected, and they started coming, by the boatloads, by the thousands, only to have Bill Clinton's administration turn them back.

You know what else they did? They died, by the thousands as well...you know how I know that?

Because I was running a towing and salvage tug at the time, and among other things, I got to clean up the bodies.

Dead in holds, dead on deck, dead in the water and torn to pieces by sharks like the poor bastards on the USS Indianapolis.

The stink and the gore in the tropical heat would make a strong man puke...ask me how I know.

And the same thing is happening here.

Piece of fucking shit white progressives (like Bill Clinton back in 1992) and weak, puling "Christians" are encouraging these people to come, to risk their lives in an exercise in futility.

And they die, men women and children, so that these fuckstick motherfuckers can score political points and carry out genocide against me.

And I'm called a hateful, hardhearted bigot, because if it was me running the show, there would be no ambiguity at all: fuck off, country's full, don't even bother trying.

If I could have my way, I'd have a couple of white progressives rotting face down in the muck and filth, let the fucking crawfish and crabs have at 'em.

Meanwhile, the other two, at least still alive, can start fucking off back to where they came from.

I've been down this road before, and it's fucking sickening.

Anti Federalist
07-02-2019, 09:59 AM
//

Origanalist
07-02-2019, 10:42 AM

See, I was in South Florida, when Bill Clinton was running for office, and he promised a come one come all policy when it came to Haitian refugees, were he to be elected president.

Well, they took him at his word when he got elected, and they started coming, by the boatloads, by the thousands, only to have Bill Clinton's administration turn them back.

You know what else they did? They died, by the thousands as well...you know how I know that?

Because I was running a towing and salvage tug at the time, and among other things, I got to clean up the bodies.

Dead in holds, dead on deck, dead in the water and torn to pieces by sharks like the poor bastards on the USS Indianapolis.

The stink and the gore in the tropical heat would make a strong man puke...ask me how I know.

Piece of fucking shit white progressives (like Bill Clinton back in 1992) and weak, puling "Christians" are encouraging these people to come, to risk their lives in an exercise in futility.

And they die, men women and children, so that these fuckstick motherfuckers can score political points and carry out genocide against me.

And I'm called a hateful, hardhearted bigot, because if it was me running the show, there would be no ambiguity at all: fuck off, country's full, don't even bother trying.

If I could have my way, I'd have a couple of white progressives rotting face down in the muck and filth, let the fucking crawfish and crabs have at 'em.

Meanwhile, the other two, at least still alive, can start fucking off back to where they came from.

I've been down this road before, and it's fucking sickening.

You can't make an omelet without breaking some eggs, collateral damage, insert euphemism here.....

Ender
07-02-2019, 10:47 AM

Piece of $#@!ing $#@! white progressives (like Bill Clinton back in 1992) and weak, puling "Christians" are encouraging these people to come, to risk their lives in an exercise in futility.

And they die, men women and children, so that these $#@!stick motherfuckers can score political points and carry out genocide against me.

And I'm called a hateful, hardhearted bigot, because if it was me running the show, there would be no ambiguity at all: $#@! off, country's full, don't even bother trying.

If I could have my way, I'd have a couple of white progressives rotting face down in the muck and filth, let the $#@!ing crawfish and crabs have at 'em.

Meanwhile, the other two, at least still alive, can start $#@!ing off back to where they came from.

I've been down this road before, and it's $#@!ing sickening.

Nothing new- same thing happened to the Jews escaping Germany. They were not allowed to even dock and were sent back.

TheCount
07-02-2019, 11:46 AM
You can't make an omelet without breaking some eggs, collateral damage, insert euphemism here.....

Tucker Carlson, is that you?

Anti Federalist
07-02-2019, 11:52 AM

I've made it very clear what I think of this invasion and what I think should be done.

What the progressive left and progressive "Christians" are doing is criminal...encouraging this, facilitating this, with my tax money, knowing full well the risks and hazards, and certainly if I were running this shit show, the inevitable failure.

TheTexan
07-02-2019, 11:58 AM
I don't have a lot of sympathy for people who can't swim across a river that is 20 feet wide and a few feet deep.

You can even walk across the Rio Grande in some places.

Ender
07-02-2019, 12:03 PM
I've made it very clear what I think of this invasion and what I think should be done.

What the progressive left and progressive "Christians" are doing is criminal...encouraging this, facilitating this, with my tax money, knowing full well the risks and hazards, and certainly if I were running this $#@! show, the inevitable failure.

How about if the US stops meddling in these countries, staging coups & taking their resources? Then, most of the problems would not exist.

Origanalist
07-02-2019, 12:16 PM

What the progressive left and progressive "Christians" are doing is criminal...encouraging this, facilitating this, with my tax money, knowing full well the risks and hazards, and certainly if I were running this shit show, the inevitable failure.

I wasn't disagreeing with you.

Origanalist
07-02-2019, 12:17 PM
Tucker Carlson, is that you?

Naw, I'm better looking.

Anti Federalist
07-02-2019, 12:18 PM
How about if the US stops meddling in these countries, staging coups & taking their resources? Then, most of the problems would not exist.

I'm all for it, agree 100%.

Now, say what you want about the Drunken Monkey, it seems like he is at least willing to listen to non-interventionists...he didn't take the Iran bait, did he?

Think the pantsuited Butcher of Benghazi would have stood down?

Anti Federalist
07-02-2019, 12:18 PM
I wasn't disagreeing with you.

Oh I know, I just wanted to put it "on the record" once again.

Ender
07-02-2019, 12:27 PM
I'm all for it, agree 100%.

Now, say what you want about the Drunken Monkey, it seems like he is at least willing to listen to non-interventionists...he didn't take the Iran bait, did he?

Think the pantsuited Butcher of Benghazi would have stood down?

The Drunken Monkey opened the whole Iranian mess again by pulling out of the Deal, which was one of the good things Obama did, and then slapping sanctions on Iran for no reason & threatening them if THEY left the Deal. That was totally a TrumpTard move- he had made his position clear about Iran during his campaign. THIS was the major reason I did not trust him from the start & did not believe that TPTB were against him.

Anti Federalist
07-02-2019, 12:48 PM
The Drunken Monkey opened the whole Iranian mess again by pulling out of the Deal, which was one of the good things Obama did, and then slapping sanctions on Iran for no reason & threatening them if THEY left the Deal. That was totally a TrumpTard move- he had made his position clear about Iran during his campaign. THIS was the major reason I did not trust him from the start & did not believe that TPTB were against him.

I was no particular fan of "The Deal" and I'm not in favor of negotiating as a part of a global government scheme.

TheTexan
07-02-2019, 12:51 PM
They were probably drowned by the drug cartels. Noone "drowns" in the Rio Grande.

Swordsmyth
07-02-2019, 02:08 PM
We should stop doing those things but the problems will exist anyway, they are more than capable of trashing their own countries and there are plenty of other would be imperial powers that would do it to them anyway.

brushfire
07-02-2019, 02:14 PM
There has been an fatality rate ~20% that has spanned 3 administrations. While I think trump is foolish to think a wall will stop these people, I dont think the fatalities are a trump issue. The big government democrats and their republican friends are to blame.

Blame those who are incentivizing illegal immigration: Death, Rape, Theft are all common risks incurred by illegal immigrants.

Swordsmyth
07-02-2019, 05:04 PM
They were probably drowned by the drug cartels. Noone "drowns" in the Rio Grande.

Smugglers are throwing kids and adults into the Rio Grande to force Border Patrol to save them as a distraction (https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2019/07/01/smugglers-are-now-purposely-drowning-migrants-to-distract-border-patrol-agents-with-rescue-efforts-n2549291)

TheTexan
07-02-2019, 05:12 PM
Smugglers are throwing kids and adults into the Rio Grande to force Border Patrol to save them as a distraction (https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2019/07/01/smugglers-are-now-purposely-drowning-migrants-to-distract-border-patrol-agents-with-rescue-efforts-n2549291)

If the river is so fucking dangerous then maybe we can make it bigger

Swordsmyth
07-02-2019, 05:13 PM
If the river is so $#@!ing dangerous then maybe we can make it bigger
Just fill it with alligators.

TheTexan
07-02-2019, 05:20 PM
Just fill it with alligators.

or Alligator drones.

I think LMT should get the contract

Swordsmyth
07-02-2019, 05:27 PM
or Alligator drones.

I think LMT should get the contract
So they can have laser beams?

TheTexan
07-02-2019, 05:35 PM
So they can have laser beams?

Yes. And stealth technology. And loudspeakers that play the Jaws music when it's approaching its designated mexican

Ender
07-03-2019, 09:40 AM
I was no particular fan of "The Deal" and I'm not in favor of negotiating as a part of a global government scheme.

The Deal wasn't perfect but it was the best step the US had taken toward Iran in years- certainly giving them more freedom plus some of the money that the US had taken from them. I see only 2 reasons to pull out of the Deal & then smack Iran down with sanctions: 1) Trump's ego 2) An excuse to go to war & take over their country completely.

PAF
07-03-2019, 09:45 AM
Yes. And stealth technology. And loudspeakers that play the Jaws music when it's approaching its designated mexican

Pioneer speakers?

Warrior_of_Freedom
07-03-2019, 09:50 AM
I'm having a hard time following this story
So the guy knows the papers don't want more Trump cartoons, but he gives them Trump cartoons, then tweets about him being barred from more jobs by said newspaper?

Anti Federalist
07-03-2019, 11:25 AM
The Deal wasn't perfect but it was the best step the US had taken toward Iran in years- certainly giving them more freedom plus some of the money that the US had taken from them. I see only 2 reasons to pull out of the Deal & then smack Iran down with sanctions: 1) Trump's ego 2) An excuse to go to war & take over their country completely.

If that's the case, why didn't Iran get reduced to a smoking hole in the ground two weeks ago?

Surely he had the opportunity and the justification, if he wanted war with Iran that badly.

Why are you making me defend the Drunken Monkey?

Ender
07-04-2019, 11:42 AM
If that's the case, why didn't Iran get reduced to a smoking hole in the ground two weeks ago?

Surely he had the opportunity and the justification, if he wanted war with Iran that badly.

Why are you making me defend the Drunken Monkey?

Wake up, Wallace.

That would have destroyed Trump's re-election.
https://www.lewrockwell.com/2019/05/no_author/if-trump-goes-to-war-with-iran-he-will-lose-in-2020/

Anti Federalist
07-04-2019, 11:51 AM
Wake up, Wallace.

That would have destroyed Trump's re-election.
https://www.lewrockwell.com/2019/05/no_author/if-trump-goes-to-war-with-iran-he-will-lose-in-2020/

Will Lloyd has rocks in his head.

Nothing brings the masses to your cause faster than a war...ask Shrub in 2004.

Trump will likely lose because he didn't drop a bunch of freedom on Iran.

Which I'm willing to give him credit for, even if it was misplaced self interest.