PDA

View Full Version : Man convicted of forcing labor on construction workers

Brian4Liberty
06-25-2019, 10:20 AM
Man convicted of forcing labor on construction workers to be sentenced (http://www.ktvu.com/news/ktvu-local-news/man-convicted-of-forcing-labor-on-construction-workers-to-be-sentenced)

SAN JOSE, Calif. (KTVU) - A man convicted of using forced labour at a Downtown San Jose construction site will be sentenced Tuesday. Hours before Job Torres Hernandez learns his fate, one of his victims sat with city council members, re-telling his story of abuse.

In halting, emotion-filled Spanish, 31-year-old Javier Tirado says moving from Mexico to California for work turned into being held captive.

“I was stressed. I was intimidated, and I was accosted constantly,” said Tirado, through a translator.

Tirado and several other workers were forced to live in shipping containers while working at the then-named Silvery Towers job site in Downtown San Jose. Their rescue came at the hands of an FBI raid in 2017.
Job Torres was the on-site subcontractor, who was charged and recently convicted of imprisoning workers and failing to pay them what they were owed.
He and other council members say part of the problem was that there was no law requiring private construction subsidized by the city to pay prevailing wages. A new ordinance up for a vote Tuesday would change that.
More: http://www.ktvu.com/news/ktvu-local-news/man-convicted-of-forcing-labor-on-construction-workers-to-be-sentenced

Brian4Liberty
06-25-2019, 10:22 AM
Nothing to see here.

Government funded construction. Imported (probably illegally) labor. Held like prisoners. Not paid.

Doing those jobs Americans won’t do... like construction.

Swordsmyth
06-25-2019, 02:03 PM
Nothing to see here.

Government funded construction. Imported (probably illegally) labor. Held like prisoners. Not paid.

Doing those jobs Americans won’t do... like construction.
Why are you picking on a fine, liberty loving, entrepreneur like Mr. Torres?