PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Capitol Closed After Threats From Militia Groups

phill4paul
06-23-2019, 08:11 AM
SALEM, Ore.—Law-enforcement officials closed the state Capitol on Saturday, following threats from militia groups that were made while a partisan showdown has halted all activity in the Oregon Senate.

“The State Police Superintendent just informed the Senate president of a credible threat from militia groups coming to the Capitol tomorrow,” read a text sent out to senators on Friday that was shared with The Wall Street Journal. “The Superintendent strongly recommends that no one come to the Capitol.”

Oregon State Police said Saturday they were monitoring threats and had closed the Capitol entirely.

“The safety of legislators, staff and citizen visitors could be compromised if certain threatened behaviors were realized,” said Tim Fox, a captain with the Oregon state police.

He didn’t elaborate on the nature of the threats, which came as Republicans remained on the run outside the state, in an effort to block a landmark bill that would limit greenhouse-gas emissions in Oregon.

Capt. Fox of the state police declined to say which groups had made the threat.

On Thursday, the Three Percenters, a group that joined the armed takeover in the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in 2016, said it would do whatever was necessary to keep the Republican senators safe. The Republicans said they wouldn’t accept the group’s help.

Rancor between the parties spilled onto social media Saturday, after the Capitol was closed.

On Twitter, the state GOP posted, “Oregon senate Democrats canceled their weekend session citing a fear that Republican voters may show up.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/oregon-capitol-closed-after-threats-from-militia-groups-11561240791

phill4paul
06-23-2019, 08:18 AM
Up to 600 members of alleged militia groups expected to mobilize to Oregon-Idaho border in effort to protect state GOP lawmakers who fled climate change vote...

Conflict first arose on Thursday when 11 GOP senators went into hiding to block the vote on a landmark climate plan aimed at significantly lowering the state's greenhouse gas emissions by 2050. While Democrats already have a majority in the chamber, 20 members must be present for a quorum.

Following the walk-out, Oregon Gov. Kate Brown deployed state police to recoup lawmakers. Republican lawmakers and militia members weren't too happy with that order. "We will not stand by and be bullied by the majority party any longer," said Senate Republican Leader Herman Baertschiger, Jr. in a Thursday statement, while Republican state Senator Brian Boquist suggested he would resort to violence if Brown dispatched state troopers.

"This is what I told the superintendent," Boquist told local media, referring to Oregon State Police superintendent Travis Hampton. "Send bachelors and come heavily armed. I'm not going to be a political prisoner in the state of Oregon. It's just that simple."

Capt. Timothy Fox of the Oregon State Police confirmed a possible threat to INSIDER on Saturday.

"We have been monitoring information throughout the day that indicates the safety of legislators, staff, and citizen visitors could be compromised if certain threatened behaviors were realized," Fox said. "The OSP and partner agencies are planning accordingly."

Militia members across the Pacific Northwest told The Daily Beast on Friday that they are mobilizing to protect the GOP senators. "We're doing what we can to make sure that they're safe and comfortable," said Eric Parker, the president of militia group Real Three Percenters Idaho. Members are "willing to put their own lives in front of these senators' lives," added a source within the Oregon militia movement.

That source said that members from the Three Percenters and the Oath Keepers, an independent group based outside of Oregon, are involved in those efforts.

A source with Oregon's Three Percenters told INSIDER on Saturday that upwards of 600 people are expected to mobilize, consisting of 21 Oregon III% county groups, five Idaho III% groups, the statewide Nevada III% group, and six independent militias across the state. He emphasized that the Oregon Three Percenters are not affiliated with the national group.

He said that while he doesn't anticipate violence or any Three Percenters escalating the situation on the ground, "I would not be surprised if every member of the group is armed." The source told INSIDER That Three Percenters have no intention of showing up for any sort of rally at the capitol, with the majority of members being dispatched to the Oregon-Idaho border.

"All of the Oregon Three Percenter's resources are being directed to the protection of the senators at this point," the source told INSIDER. "I'm confident that the bulk of the people that are out to protect these senators at this point will go to any lengths required."

https://www.businessinsider.com/oregon-capitol-shut-down-threats-militia-groups-2019-6

donnay
06-23-2019, 08:27 AM
https://www.wsj.com/articles/oregon-capitol-closed-after-threats-from-militia-groups-11561240791

Good Lord, they really jumped to conclusions there: "The State Police Superintendent just informed the Senate president of a credible threat from militia groups coming to the Capitol tomorrow,"

How is that a credible threat?

Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

phill4paul
06-23-2019, 08:44 AM
Good Lord, they really jumped to conclusions there: "The State Police Superintendent just informed the Senate president of a credible threat from militia groups coming to the Capitol tomorrow,"

Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

I believe they jumped to this conclusion due to comments on sites calling for this rally. For instance if someone had wrote "Tar and feather them and run them out of town on a rail," then this dunderhead considers it a credible threat.

More than likely the Democrats just wanted the weekend off and needed something to save face so they wouldn't be accused of abandoning their post, so to speak.

donnay
06-23-2019, 09:02 AM
I believe they jumped to this conclusion due to comments on sites calling for this rally. For instance if someone had wrote "Tar and feather them and run them out of town on a rail," then this dunderhead considers it a credible threat.

More than likely the Democrats just wanted the weekend off and needed something to save face so they wouldn't be accused of abandoning their post, so to speak.

Ahh, I see. Well I respect the Oath Keepers. They are just doing their due diligence to help against a tyrannical bunch of bureaucrats.

oyarde
06-23-2019, 09:27 AM
Oregon is not really deserving of a state capital . Oyarde suggests the Gov fire the staff , self and abandon the capital but only on foot as no fossil fuel engines are authorized for those heathens .

Pauls' Revere
06-23-2019, 09:46 AM
Oregon is not really deserving of a state capital . Oyarde suggests the Gov fire the staff , self and abandon the capital but only on foot as no fossil fuel engines are authorized for those heathens .

Northern Oregon should go to Washington and Southern Oregon to California.

Anti Federalist
06-23-2019, 10:29 AM
Say "when"...

James_Madison_Lives
06-23-2019, 12:56 PM
Don't know much about the Percenters but respect the Oath Keepers.

Origanalist
06-23-2019, 01:17 PM

Amendment I

https://i.imgflip.com/344vxf.jpg

Dr.3D
06-23-2019, 01:20 PM
So would this bill also make it illegal for trains to use diesel in their state?

It would be bad enough, if they outlawed trucks, but trains too?

Or is it just automobiles?

Makes me picture everybody driving a truck.

Origanalist
06-23-2019, 01:27 PM
So would this bill also make it illegal for trains to use diesel in their state?

Going to have to widen those parking spaces.

RonZeplin
06-23-2019, 01:40 PM
https://www.tacticalshit.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/threeperunit_original.jpg

Our National Facebook page is at ​www.facebook.com/ThreePercentRepublic (http://www.facebook.com/ThreePercentRepublic/)

The movement was started on December 17, 2008, in response to the election of Barack Obama. The movement was co-founded by Mike Vanderboegh from Alabama, a member of the Oath Keepers, a group with whom the 3 Percenters remain loosely allied with and who publicized the movement on his blog “Sipsey Street Irregulars” beginning November 2008. Additionally, the “Three Percenters Club” website was established in 2011 by Michael Graham.

The “Nyberg Three Percent Flag,” designed by Gayle Nyberg in 2008, is based on the Betsy Ross Flag with the Roman numeral “III” inscribed in the circle of thirteen stars.

https://threepercentrepublic.com/who-we-are/

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_HioVhYlwwwg/S-RajFrajJI/AAAAAAAAAb0/IW8aWyZVXlo/s1600/754217.jpg

Zippyjuan
06-23-2019, 01:44 PM

I don't see where it outlaws diesel but haven't seen the whole thing. It is a "cap and trade" bill.

https://www.opb.org/news/article/oregon-climate-carbon-emissions-cap-trade-bill-house/

Oregon's Cap-And-Trade Bill Clears House, Heads To Senate

A bill that would create one of the nation’s most sweeping programs to address climate change is within one vote of becoming law after it passed the Oregon House on Monday.

Following six hours of debate, a sharply divided chamber voted 36-24 to pass House Bill 2020. The bill — the highest policy priority remaining for Democrats this session — would create a cap-and-trade system to regulate greenhouse gas emissions in the transportation, manufacturing and utility sectors. Oregon would be the second state after California to enact such a policy.

The bill now moves to the Senate, where its fate is unclear.

“We are here today facing the greatest crisis of our lifetime, but I stand before you today in support of this bill because all hope is not lost,” said Rep. Karin Power, D-Milwaukie, one of the bill’s central architects. “We have a short window to act.”

HB 2020 would place a cap on most of the state’s greenhouse gas emissions and lower it over time. Major polluters regulated under the plan would have to purchase credits, known as “allowances,” for every ton of greenhouse gas they emit. Many would receive at least some credits for free, and companies could trade pollution credits among themselves.

Under the bill, Oregon would aim to lower emissions to 80% below 1990 levels by 2050. Money generated from allowances would need to be spent on helping the state adapt to the impacts of climate change and transitioning to a low-carbon future.

More at link.

pcosmar
06-23-2019, 03:03 PM
More at link.

IT IS A TAX AND SPEND BILL.. like the rest of the Global Warming scams.

Some legislators are tired of it,, and won't allow it to be imposed. and People are Backing them.