PDA

View Full Version : Students: Remember your Target Audience!

JRegs85
12-14-2007, 01:50 AM
I am a college student, and I am aware that college students tend to support Ron Paul for reasons that are often not traditonally Republican.

Remember, caucus-goers in Iowa are going to be mostly traditional, Christian conservatives. So if you love Ron Paul because he opposes the Iraq War and wants to end the War on Drugs, that's great. But they aren't going to be receptive to that...Huckabee has his surge right now because he appeals to them. Please, be more likely to mention the fact that he introduced the Sanctity of Life Act just a few weeks after the Roe v. Wade decision (a bill that Fred Thompson never supported in principle while in the Senate), or that he is the only Congressman to receive an A+ rating from the Gun Owners of America (GOA), or that he supports building a fence between the US and Mexico, than the fact he wants to completely change American foreign policy.

Again, the only reason I mention this is because of the fact that the Ron Paul supporters on my campus typically focus on issues such as the Patriot Act and so on; these are great for appealing to young students, but Iowa Republican caucus-goers want their candidates to be strongly pro-life, etc. (Huckabee).

thrillhouse
12-14-2007, 11:46 AM
Yeah good ideas, also mention RP's tax policies, national debt, and his consistency throughout his years in government.

And if you can, make fun of hillary. That is something all republicans/conservatives can agree on.

Good luck and keep up the good work!

Fried Hog
12-14-2007, 11:57 PM
Best not to mention any other candidate. Keep the discussion positive.

Well said JRegs85.

FirstTimeRepublican
12-15-2007, 08:02 PM
Below is a link to the Iowa Republican Party platform. Ron Paul's stances on many of these issues are right on with Iowans. None of the other candidates come close to the party's platform. States' rights seem to be pretty big. Agriculture, education and economy are good topics as well. Never hurts to do a little bit of research. Find out what Ron Paul says about these particular issues and make those your talking points with Iowans. It doesn't hurt to tell people what they want to hear, as long as it's true!

http://www.iowagop.net/inner.asp?z=11

Good luck to everyone in Iowa and thanks for volunteering!

banemaler
12-16-2007, 11:28 PM
I would look at Paul's stance on immigration again because I think some people might be a little off base and this is a huge issue for Iowa voters. Ron Paul has said that he would not support completing the fence as the border hoppers would simply blow it up and we'd be constantly maintaining this thing. Ultimately it does not stop the desire to come here illegally. Dr. Paul believes that if we eliminate that desire or incentive to come here then that will reduce the illegal immigration. If you can remember his 5 points that would be nifty too. This includes punishment to employers for hiring illegals, end birthright citizenship and no amnesty for offenders.

paulgirl
12-18-2007, 02:18 PM
And please dress appropriately!

I'm only 28, but even I have been shocked at what some of the student Ron Paul supporters show up wearing.

Cover up those tats (shouldn't be hard -- its going to be COLD), and dig out those nice sweaters and polo shirts that Aunt Marge gave you last Christmas. Midwesterners are VERY conservative, and not very fashion conscious. (I know, I am related to a lot of them)