PDA

View Full Version : Trump wavers after saying NHS must be on table in US-UK trade talks

Zippyjuan
06-05-2019, 11:41 AM
NHS being the UK national health system. Why should the US care how they choose to treat their people? Maybe somebody told him what it was-he changed his mind (as usual). Trump also said there were no protests in London during his visit. If he wants to negotiate a treaty with May, he has two days left to get it done. She steps down June 7th.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jun/04/trump-says-he-turned-down-corbyn-request-to-meet

Donald Trump has declared he wants the NHS to be on the table in any US-UK trade deal and refused to meet the “negative” Labour leader, Jeremy Corbyn, who pledged to oppose US corporations taking over the health service with every breath in his body.

On the second day of his state visit, during which he has been hosted by the Queen and Theresa May, the US president set out his ambitions for a “phenomenal” post-Brexit trade deal with the UK.

But following a cross-party backlash, the president later appeared to row back on his comments. In an interview with Good Morning Britain’s Piers Morgan, he said: “I don’t see [the NHS] being on the table. Somebody asked me a question today and I say everything is up for negotiation, because everything is. But that’s something I would not see as part of trade. That’s not trade.”

Appearing earlier in the day alongside the outgoing prime minister at a joint press conference, Trump said US companies should have market access to every sector of the British economy as part of any deal, which he said could lead to a tripling of trade with the UK.

“When you’re dealing on trade, everything is on the table. So NHS or anything else. A lot more than that,” he said, although May appeared to have to explain to Trump what the NHS was before he answered the question.

Trump’s statement drew immediate condemnation from several Tory leadership hopefuls as well as senior Labour politicians.

There are widespread concerns in the UK about US firms promising to provide cost-cutting health services and wanting to sell food produced to lower environmental and animal welfare standards, such as chlorine-washed chicken.

Corbyn told a packed protest on Whitehall, not far from the press conference, he would not allow Brexit to open up “our precious wonderful National Health Service to private American companies to come in and take it over”.

“We will not stand for that. We will fight with every last breath of our body to defend the principle of a healthcare system free at the point of need for everybody as a human right,” he said.

Corbyn turned down an invitation to the Queen’s state banquet for Trump but it emerged during the press conference that he had requested a private meeting with the president.

Trump said he had rejected the request from Corbyn, describing him as “somewhat of a negative force”.

“He wanted to meet today or tomorrow, and I decided that I would not do that,” he said. “I really don’t like critics as much as I like and respect someone who can get things done.”

He dismissed the protest attended by Corbyn as “very small” and “fake news”, while implausibly claiming thousands had lined the streets to welcome him on Monday. Organisers of anti-Trump protests said up to 75,000 people had demonstrated against the state visit in central London.

May appeared uncomfortable at the suggestion the NHS could be included in a trade deal, saying both sides would “negotiate and come to an agreement about what should or should not be in that trade deal for the future”. However, she did not explicitly rule it out.
More at link.

https://www.nydailynews.com/resizer/kqZFLXoFFh_h8qycnyKwcLsfWz8=/800x531/top/arc-anglerfish-arc2-prod-tronc.s3.amazonaws.com/public/Y5ERMAYQFZDKJITGMJ4IL3YTSU.jpg

https://s.yimg.com/uu/api/res/1.2/wPjDGrvIIGb2mCoKY8uasA--~B/aD01NjA7dz0xMDI0O3NtPTE7YXBwaWQ9eXRhY2h5b24-/https://media.zenfs.com/en/time_72/0987f065b8a33360ab3a7e93ccdee511