PDA

View Full Version : Trump: Will 'seriously look' at banning gun silencers

Zippyjuan
06-05-2019, 11:09 AM
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-banning-gun-silencers/story?id=63502902

Liberal gun grabbers!

President Donald Trump stated he would "think about" a ban on gun silencers, following news that the suspected Virginia Beach shooter used a legally-bought gun suppressor.

"I'd like to think about it. I mean nobody's talking about silencers very much. I did talk about the bump stock and we had it banned and we're looking at that. I'm going to seriously look at it. I don't love the idea of it," the president told Piers Morgan on Good Morning Britain.

The gunman suspected of killing a dozen people at the Virginia Beach Municipal Center allegedly committed the massacre with legally-bought pistols and a gun suppressor, according to officials said.

As Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam urges lawmakers on the state Capitol to take up a package on gun control legislation, the rhetoric around firearms has intensified after more recent mass shootings.

When asked about recent gun violence, President Trump said: “What’s happening is crazy. It's crazy what's going on with schools and not only in our country.”

According to the Gun Violence Archive, there have been 156 mass shootings in the United States in 2019. President Trump, who recently spoke at the National Rifle Association convention, defended gun rights.

"Gun owners make our communities safer and they make our nation stronger," the president told NRA supporters in April. The Trump administration banned bump stocks following a mass shooting at a Las Vegas music festival in October 2017 that killed 58 people. That shooter used a bump stock, a device that allows a rifle automatic or semiautomatic firing capability.

But in his interview with Morgan, he quickly turned the conversation to knife crimes in London.

“Piers in London you have stabbings all over where everyone is being stabbed,” the president said adding that he heard London hospitals described were described as “a sea of blood all over the floor.”

“It's a sea of blood. And they don't have a gun,” the president said. When asked by Morgan what he could do to change his mindset about gun violence, the president stated, “talk about it.”

unknown
06-05-2019, 11:10 AM
Trump can seriously kiss a fucking cock.

Zippyjuan
06-05-2019, 11:14 AM
Trump can seriously kiss a $#@!ing cock.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ef/7c/64/ef7c64ba845ae3fc0aeb366a7f4953cf.jpg

PAF
06-05-2019, 11:16 AM
In before Swordsmyth uses “but” to explain how this (restrictionism) will help to advance liberty.

unknown
06-05-2019, 11:24 AM
In before Swordsmyth uses “but” to explain how this (restrictionism) will help to advance liberty.

See, you want to ban suppressors because when the firearm is loud, it makes a lot of noise and you want to do that because freedom.

The fucker is fast tho, isnt he.

Like hes hovering around this place like a vulture.

Lets see how long it takes for him to get in here.

Dr.3D
06-05-2019, 11:25 AM
Guess somebody is worried about ear plug sales and wants to make sure their interests in ear plugs isn't diminished.

TheTexan
06-05-2019, 11:37 AM
Maybe instead of banning silencers we should just require licenses and/or tax stamps with prohibitive rules/regulations so in effect noone wants to get one.

Anti Federalist
06-05-2019, 11:37 AM
We went into 2016 with, among other things, taking suppressors off the NFA list of Class II items.

Now El Jefe' Naranjo is talking about banning them.

You always get the best control with GOP presidents.

I'm now hoping the Bolsheviks do impeach him.

Overall, we'd have been better off with Hillary: the house and senate (and many states) would have remained solidly in opposition and we'd be the ones fired up and pushing back in all directions instead of the Jacobins and Bolsheviks.

Sammy
06-05-2019, 12:06 PM
I hope that's Fake News..

Zippyjuan
06-05-2019, 12:34 PM
I hope that's Fake News..

Who knows? He changes his positions often- though he did follow through with the bump stock ban.

RonZeplin
06-05-2019, 12:38 PM
Piers Morgan, David Hogg & Donald J. Trump make a great team. :sarcasm:

https://www.westernjournal.com/ct/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2018/07/david-hogg-donald-trump.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/WiLA2.png?1?8944

Take the Guns! :down:

EBounding
06-05-2019, 12:44 PM
I'll reserve judgement until I fully understand if this infringes on my fundamental human right to hunt.

dannno
06-05-2019, 01:25 PM
President Donald Trump stated he would "think about" a ban on gun silencers, following news that the suspected Virginia Beach shooter used a legally-bought gun suppressor.

"I'd like to think about it. I mean nobody's talking about silencers very much. I did talk about the bump stock and we had it banned and we're looking at that. I'm going to seriously look at it. I don't love the idea of it," the president told Piers Morgan on Good Morning Britain.

The gunman suspected of killing a dozen people at the Virginia Beach Municipal Center allegedly committed the massacre with legally-bought pistols and a gun suppressor, according to officials said.

As Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam urges lawmakers on the state Capitol to take up a package on gun control legislation, the rhetoric around firearms has intensified after more recent mass shootings.

When asked about recent gun violence, President Trump said: “What’s happening is crazy. It's crazy what's going on with schools and not only in our country.”

According to the Gun Violence Archive, there have been 156 mass shootings in the United States in 2019. President Trump, who recently spoke at the National Rifle Association convention, defended gun rights.

"Gun owners make our communities safer and they make our nation stronger," the president told NRA supporters in April. The Trump administration banned bump stocks following a mass shooting at a Las Vegas music festival in October 2017 that killed 58 people. That shooter used a bump stock, a device that allows a rifle automatic or semiautomatic firing capability.

But in his interview with Morgan, he quickly turned the conversation to knife crimes in London.

“Piers in London you have stabbings all over where everyone is being stabbed,” the president said adding that he heard London hospitals described were described as “a sea of blood all over the floor.”

“It's a sea of blood. And they don't have a gun,” the president said. When asked by Morgan what he could do to change his mindset about gun violence, the president stated, “talk about it.”

I always like to read the parts that zippy doesn't put in bold.

dannno
06-05-2019, 01:27 PM
We went into 2016 with, among other things, taking suppressors off the NFA list of Class II items.

Overall, we'd have been better off with Hillary: the house and senate (and many states) would have remained solidly in opposition and we'd be the ones fired up and pushing back in all directions instead of the Jacobins and Bolsheviks.

Actually he said he doesn't love the idea of banning suppressors, as his concluding remark, but that he would consider it.

Zippy always bolds the wrong parts.

There is no way we would be better off with Hillary... do you think manufacturing would have taken off under Hillary, or do you think government jobs would have taken off?

Supreme Court?

I know you're always back and forth on the fence on this one... but I have a hard time finding ANY reason why we would have been better off with Hillary.

As far as I could tell, bump stocks were not really a functional accessory. No excuse to ban them, but if you're going to pick something to ban, at least ban something non-functional that can be replaced by a five cent rubber band.

Anti Globalist
06-05-2019, 01:28 PM
Don't do it Trump. Your fanbase will be upset if you go through with this.

Todd
06-05-2019, 01:34 PM
Guess somebody is worried about ear plug sales and wants to make sure their interests in ear plugs isn't diminished.

You know I keep hearing that, but it's a weak argument. Yes silencers help with hearing protection, but I think we (the pro gun community) look really stupid suggesting it's the main reason.

Ender
06-05-2019, 01:42 PM

Yerp!

dannno
06-05-2019, 01:44 PM
You know I keep hearing that, but it's a weak argument. Yes silencers help with hearing protection, but I think we (the pro gun community) look really stupid suggesting it's the main reason.

You're right, it's probably the deer lobby.

Anti Federalist
06-05-2019, 02:08 PM
Actually he said he doesn't love the idea of banning suppressors, as his concluding remark, but that he would consider it.

He didn't love the idea of banning bump stocks either, but he did it.

I'm sure Reagan didn't love the idea of banning the sale of new Class III weapons either, but he did it.

Anti Federalist
06-05-2019, 02:21 PM
According to the Gun Violence Archive, there have been 156 mass shootings in the United States in 2019

This, by the way, is disingenious.

GVA counts injuries as a mass shooting qualification.

Brian4Liberty
06-05-2019, 02:25 PM
Ban mufflers! It’s for the children! You just want people to die!

TheTexan
06-05-2019, 02:26 PM
He didn't love the idea of banning bump stocks either, but he did it.

I'm a bit conflicted on it myself.

Part of me thinks that silencers are protected by the 2nd amendment because there is a legitimate hunting use for silencers.

Then another part of me realizes that silencers have traditionally only been used in military applications, which leads me to believe it's not protected by the 2nd amendment.

Swordsmyth
06-05-2019, 02:26 PM
In before @Swordsmyth (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/member.php?u=65299) uses “but” to explain how this (restrictionism) will help to advance liberty.

See, you want to ban suppressors because when the firearm is loud, it makes a lot of noise and you want to do that because freedom.

The $#@!er is fast tho, isnt he.

Like hes hovering around this place like a vulture.

Lets see how long it takes for him to get in here.
I will say just what I said about the bumpstock ban, I hate it, no good will come of it and it hurts the pro-gun momentum we had been building.

Don Jr. needs to have a talk with him:

Donald Trump Jr leads campaign to overturn restrictions on gun silencers (https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/donald-trump-jr-son-gun-silencer-control-laws-restrictions-campaign-remove-mass-shootings-fears-a7767586.html)

Swordsmyth
06-05-2019, 02:29 PM

Hitlery would not have been any better, we would probably have an "Assault Weapons" ban by now and we would have an anti-gun SCOTUS that would uphold it not to mention all the other horrible regulatory and international treaty things she would have done or all the other issues she would have destroyed America with.
Impeachment would only make things worse.

TheTexan
06-05-2019, 02:32 PM
Maybe the NFA Title II weapons such as silencers should only be available for hunters, during the hunting season. This way it doesn't violate the 2nd amendment hunting rights.

Brian4Liberty
06-05-2019, 02:35 PM
I'm a bit conflicted on it myself.

Part of me thinks that silencers are protected by the 2nd amendment because there is a legitimate hunting use for silencers.

Then another part of me realizes that silencers have traditionally only been used in military applications, which leads me to believe it's not protected by the 2nd amendment.

Silencers were never intended for everyday US citizens. The proper role for silencers and machine guns is for the US government to give them away for free to foreigners.

Zippyjuan
06-05-2019, 03:02 PM
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/donald-trumps-views-guns-shifted-time/story?id=39234442

"The America We Deserve," 2000

In a page-long explanation of his stance on guns, Trump assessed the differences between the two main political parties' gun policies. He called what he said was the Democratic party's desire to "confiscate" guns "a dumb idea" and said Republicans "refuse even limited restrictions," noting that they "walk the NRA line."

Instead, he cast his stance as something of a middle ground.

"I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I also support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun," he wrote.

"With today's Internet technology we should be able to tell within seventy-two hours if a potential gun owner has a record."

"Crippled America," 2015

Fast forward 15 years and Trump appears to have reversed his position.

"Opponents of gun rights often use a lot of scary descriptive phrases when proposing legislative action against various types of weapons. Ban 'assault weapons' they say, or 'military-style weapons,' or 'high-capacity magazines,'" he wrote. "Those all do sound a little ominous, until you understand what they are actually talking about are common, popular semiautomatic rifles and standard magazines that are owned and used by tens of millions of Americans."

In "Crippled America," Trump argues that background checks "accomplished very little" as they effectively just brought "more government regulation into the situation."

Trump cited Project Exile, a 1997 program started in Richmond, Virginia which automatically moved trials involving guns to federal court. It also added a mandatory minimum 5-year federal prison sentence if convicted. He reiterated his support for this program during his presidential campaign and mentioned it on his website.

Campaign Talk

Since announcing his presidency, Trump has spoken about guns regularly and has pledged to get rid of "gun-free zones" at schools and military bases.

"My first day, it gets signed, OK? My first day. There's no more gun-free zones," he said in January.

He has also cited gun control as being partly to blame for mass shootings like those in Paris and San Bernardino, arguing that the attackers could have been stopped more quickly if more bystanders had guns.

He does like to talk tough- as he confirmed that he has had a carry permit since 2010.

"Somebody attacks me, oh, they’re gonna be shocked," he said in October after mentioning his concealed weapons license.

"Can you imagine? Somebody says 'Oh there's Trump, he's easy pickings,' 'What'd you say?'" he said while holding his fingers like a drawn gun.

He didn't sign that "gun free zones" thing. Just another promise which didn't happen "day one". The Virginia shooting was in the same building the police were located. Congress passed that law (in 1996 when Republicans had control of both Houses- Newt Gingrich and Strom Thurmond in charge) and would need to change it to get rid of "gun free zones".

More at link.

spudea
06-05-2019, 04:10 PM
suppressors are already effectively banned due to the fees and registration filing involved to own one legally. Same with the bump stock ban, this is irrelevant to 99% of americans, and most gun owners, its an unnecessary attachment that the second amendment doesn't apply to.

fedupinmo
06-05-2019, 04:27 PM
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-banning-gun-silencers/story?id=63502902

Liberal gun grabbers!

According to the Gun Violence Archive, there have been 156 mass shootings in the United States in 2019.

Name them.

Zippyjuan
06-05-2019, 04:33 PM
Name them.[/COLOR]

Define "mass shooting". They count anything where four or more were shot (not necessarily killed- not counting the shooter). That could be a family incident, a drive- by shooting. A robbery. Police shoot-out.

Their list:
https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/reports/mass-shooting

Just one: https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/2019/05/tenants-disturbed-by-gunfire-that-broke-out-during-dj-party-at-audiocinema-warehouse-wounding-5.html

Tenants disturbed by gunfire that broke out during DJ party at AudioCinema warehouse, wounding 5

Ian Ondrejcak noticed two men arguing, then suddenly heard gunshots ring out after he stepped from his business office early Sunday to smoke a cigarette on Southeast Madison Street.

About 350 young adults had crowded into the AudioCinema warehouse for an all-ages DJ party Saturday night that was supposed to run from 7 p.m. to midnight, according to Ondrejcak.

Around 12:40 a.m. Sunday, a man standing outside the warehouse at the corner of Madison and Third Avenue fired at least two shots into the open garage bay of the party and someone fired back at least five shots from inside, said Ondrejcak, who ducked behind cars.

Ondrejcak’s business partner, who was inside the warehouse at the time, said he heard between five to seven gunshots and then barricaded himself inside the upstairs office of their drone operation.

Partygoers raced out of the Madison Street door from the packed venue because other entrances were cordoned off, Ondrejcak said. He said most of those attending the party looked like they were between the ages of 18 and 20.

At least five people were wounded -- one 17-year-old girl and four adult men, Portland police said. Three of the victims were taken by private vehicle to a local hospital. Two were taken by ambulance. At least three have been released from the hospital, police said.

RonZeplin
06-05-2019, 05:47 PM

Trump has made Liberty popular again. Thank you Donald.

fedupinmo
06-05-2019, 06:12 PM
Define "mass shooting". They count anything where four or more were shot (not necessarily killed- not counting the shooter). That could be a family incident, a drive- by shooting. A robbery. Police shoot-out.

Their list:
https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/reports/mass-shooting

Just one: https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/2019/05/tenants-disturbed-by-gunfire-that-broke-out-during-dj-party-at-audiocinema-warehouse-wounding-5.html
So if you can admit that the article you quoted takes serious liberties with the English language in an incongruous fashion, why quote it at all?

enhanced_deficit
06-05-2019, 09:41 PM

Many MAGA supporters seem to fear that Pence will be way too Christian/Biblical minded for the current liberal, socialist leaning society.

Poll: Support for impeaching Trump rises to 41 percent (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?535229-Poll-Support-for-impeaching-Trump-rises-to-41-percent&)

Brian4Liberty
06-05-2019, 10:00 PM
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/donald-trumps-views-guns-shifted-time/story?id=39234442

Fast forward 15 years and Trump appears to have reversed his position.
In "Crippled America," Trump argues that background checks "accomplished very little" as they effectively just brought "more government regulation into the situation."

He does like to talk tough- as he confirmed that he has had a carry permit since 2010.

OMG! Someone changed their mind after real life proves that the “gun control” hypothesis is wrong. That is crazy. If government fails, we must double down! We can never reverse course!

The problem must be competition. If only the entire world had gun control imposed (ironically, at the point of a gun), then it would work. Just like communism will only work if it is global (and enforced at the point of a gun).

oyarde
06-05-2019, 10:06 PM
Maybe instead of banning silencers we should just require licenses and/or tax stamps with prohibitive rules/regulations so in effect noone wants to get one.

You can send me your tax stamp monies for your silencers . I will get your permits right out .

Todd
06-06-2019, 05:49 AM
You're right, it's probably the deer lobby.

Yeah well anybody who thinks that this type of device wasn't developed for helping clandestine operations is being intellectually dishonest. Better we attack the argument based on the truth than look like a bunch of idiots.

Warrior_of_Freedom
06-06-2019, 06:00 AM
I reserve the right to have a battle tank, or put a cannon on my boat if I wanna.

euphemia
06-06-2019, 06:27 AM
You all let yourselves get all riled up over Zippy’s posts. Trump often says he will seriously look at something. That’s a good thing because the result is that he takes no action. This has happened over several issues.

nikcers
06-06-2019, 06:33 AM
You all let yourselves get all riled up over Zippy’s posts. Trump often says he will seriously look at something. That’s a good thing because the result is that he takes no action. This has happened over several issues.

He just debated gun rights with Piers Morgan pretty well, I thought he stood his ground on the issue even though he was getting hammered with all of the leftist talking points.

EBounding
06-06-2019, 06:44 AM
Imagine if Justin Amash said this.

nikcers
06-06-2019, 06:46 AM

Yeah someone who has a history of saying everything on every issue in order to win politically is an apt comparison to someone who has a history of sticking to small government principles.

euphemia
06-06-2019, 06:54 AM
He just debated gun rights with Piers Morgan pretty well, I thought he stood his ground on the issue even though he was getting hammered with all of the leftist talking points.

Exactly. When he says he will look at something he is trying to end the discussion looking all reasonable, knowing what short attention spans most audiences have.mm

Anti Federalist
06-06-2019, 10:15 AM

This is standard practice in business negotiations.

The problem is the bill of rights is not a bargaining chip.

You never give the opposition a bone.

Offer them nothing.

Ender
06-06-2019, 10:39 AM

Offer them nothing.

EXACTLY.

Todd
06-06-2019, 11:00 AM

Major point above ^

Trump nut suckers......."crickets".

Anti Globalist
06-06-2019, 12:30 PM

Offer them nothing.
This.

pcosmar
06-06-2019, 12:36 PM

Like bump stocks or War in several countries??

https://amedia.concealedcarry.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/05124407/trump.png

Swordsmyth
06-06-2019, 02:37 PM

Major point above ^

I'd probably say something like THIS:

I will say just what I said about the bumpstock ban, I hate it, no good will come of it and it hurts the pro-gun momentum we had been building.

Don Jr. needs to have a talk with him:

Donald Trump Jr leads campaign to overturn restrictions on gun silencers (https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/donald-trump-jr-son-gun-silencer-control-laws-restrictions-campaign-remove-mass-shootings-fears-a7767586.html)

Swordsmyth
06-06-2019, 04:19 PM
From the same interview:

President Trump, in an interview on Wednesday morning on ITV’s “Good Morning Britain,” says that unarmed civilians are “sitting ducks,” according to a write-up of the interview shared by The Hill.

Trump says, “when somebody has a gun illegally and nobody else has a gun because the laws are that you can’t have a gun, those people are gone. They have no chance. The people that obey the laws … those people are sitting ducks.”
In the interview, Trump said he would “think about” banning silencers for guns.

The POTUS discusses gun violence with @piersmorgan (https://twitter.com/piersmorgan?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw). He says unarmed civilians are 'sitting ducks' and don't stand a chance when faced with 'bad guys' with guns.

He adds if people were armed during the Paris attacks 'it would have never happened'.#GMBTrump (https://twitter.com/hashtag/GMBTrump?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw) pic.twitter.com/UI9L56Ifgh (https://t.co/UI9L56Ifgh)
— Good Morning Britain (@GMB) June 5, 2019 (https://twitter.com/GMB/status/1136166290329145345?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw)
While speaking about a mass shooting near Paris, Trump stated, “if there was a gun on the other side, if one or two or three of those people had a gun, it would have never happened.”

https://newsbreakinglive.com/2019/06/05/trump-says-people-who-dont-own-guns-are-sitting-ducks/

AngryCanadian
06-06-2019, 04:21 PM

I am surpsied still that he is on the Liberty group when his ideology has being shifting more to the left.

pcosmar
06-06-2019, 04:56 PM
I am surpsied still that he is on the Liberty group when his ideology has being shifting more to the left.

No it has not..

His nose , simply, is not stuck up Trumps Butt.

Ender
06-06-2019, 05:01 PM
No it has not..

His nose , simply, is not stuck up Trumps Butt.

EXACTLY.