PDA

View Full Version : Trump's ban on Chinese telecom giant Huawei could cut off rural Americans' cell service

Zippyjuan
05-27-2019, 01:38 PM
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/trump-s-ban-chinese-telecom-giant-huawei-could-cut-rural-n1010311

The Trump administration's ban on goods produced by a Chinese tech giant would seem to have little to do with rural America. But rural cell service providers across the U.S. are almost entirely dependent on the company, Huawei, which produces inexpensive wireless communications equipment.

These small telecom companies now face billions of dollars in costs or the end of their businesses entirely after the Trump administration effectively banned the Chinese company last week over spying accusations.

It is a prospect that could leave vast swaths of rural America with no cell service.

In response, a bipartisan group of senators proposed legislation that would create a pool of $700 million to help local carriers replace their technology.

This legislation “offers relief to those providers that need to replace foreign equipment within their networks while augmenting the availability of secure 5G networks for all Americans,” said Sen. Roger Wicker, R-Miss.

The problem is that $700 million is not nearly enough cash.

“We estimated that we needed $800 million to $1 billion for our carriers, but that only covers about a dozen companies,” Carrie Bennet, general counsel for the Rural Wireless Association, told NBC News.

“I don’t want to insult the bill they’ve introduced,” she added. “It’s great that someone has focused on what this is going to cost, but this is not enough money."

High price of rural wireless

The Huawei ban will force many wireless providers to turn to expensive European technology, as there are few American alternatives. Companies will have to rip out and replace everything they have already installed and hire highly-trained professionals to work on and install their network hardware.

That doesn’t come cheap.

SI Wireless, a rural Kentucky and Tennessee provider with about 20,000 customers, would have to spend $40 to $60 million replacing its Huawei equipment, the company said in a FCC filing.

Viaero Wireless, with 110,000 customers in Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming and South Dakota, said 80 percent of its core equipment was produced by Huawei, according to the FCC filing. Replacing it could cost as much as $410 million.

Union Wireless has 40,000 customers across Wyoming, Colorado, Utah and Idaho. With 75 percent of its network equipment from Huawei, it would have to spend $300 million to comply.

Those are only a few of the dozens of companies that are affected by the ban.

Gigi Sohn, a former counselor to the FCC chairman in the Obama administration and currently a distinguished fellow at the Georgetown Law Institute for Technology Law and Policy, said lawmakers should be taking a wider view.

“If they can’t use Huawei equipment, it’s going to cost even more without a significant infusion — and $700 million ain’t the answer,” Sohn said. “These rural areas are going to not get served, and it puzzles me why these senators, many of whom are from states that are almost entirely rural, don’t see the problem here.”

More at link.

timosman
05-27-2019, 02:31 PM
These numbers do not make sense. What exactly is being replaced? Are the bureaucrats taking it too far and replacing cabling and antennas? :tears:

Brian4Liberty
05-27-2019, 02:40 PM
So the bottom line takeaway here is that “rural cell service providers across the U.S. are almost entirely” under Chinese government surveillance.

Swordsmyth
05-27-2019, 03:01 PM
So the bottom line takeaway here is that “rural cell service providers across the U.S. are almost entirely” under Chinese government surveillance.
And that America is dangerously dependent on China.

But we should probably just offer to let them annex us, we could probably make a buck on the deal. (Not you or I but somebody would make a buck)

Zippyjuan
05-27-2019, 03:26 PM

Trump is banning their equipment in the US because he fears they are using it to spy on us. Only the US government is allowed to do that.

Swordsmyth
05-27-2019, 03:31 PM
Trump is banning their equipment in the US because he fears they are using it to spy on us. Only the US government is allowed to do that.
Letting the ChiComs spy on me is not an improvement.

Zippyjuan
05-27-2019, 03:38 PM
Trying to bring back that "chicoms" thing again?

Brian4Liberty
05-27-2019, 03:44 PM

Letting the ChiComs spy on me is not an improvement.

Considering that they usually clone US designs, and then modify them, you get a device with both US and Chinese backdoors.

oyarde
05-27-2019, 03:49 PM

I take out the battery .

oyarde
05-27-2019, 03:50 PM
Trying to bring back that "chicoms" thing again?

I do not trust the americoms or the chicoms .

oyarde
05-27-2019, 03:50 PM

correct .

oyarde
05-27-2019, 03:51 PM
Considering that they usually clone US designs, and then modify them, you get a device with both US and Chinese backdoors.

Yes .

ATruepatriot
05-27-2019, 03:56 PM
I do not trust the americoms or the chicoms .

Now there is a redefinition that fits the topic well. lol

Swordsmyth
05-27-2019, 03:57 PM
New expose shows Huawei is a parasitic company that spent all of its resources stealing the technology of others (https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-05-25/huawei-spent-all-their-resources-stealing-stunning-new-expose-says)

ATruepatriot
05-27-2019, 04:10 PM
These numbers do not make sense. What exactly is being replaced? Are the bureaucrats taking it too far and replacing cabling and antennas? :tears:

It's all the existing high dollar Huawei passive switching transmit and receive equipment they are talking about. Apparently they were the only source for this equipment for quite awhile now. If I had some money I would start a service to "rebuild" this existing equipment and just retrofit the one or two questionable parts with like kind safe parts.

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-27-2019, 04:41 PM
Ron Paul's wisdom is timeless. Don't spy, the government hates competition!

Said this in another thread. Where does everybody think competitor's electronics are manufactured at???

Swordsmyth
05-27-2019, 04:50 PM
Ron Paul's wisdom is timeless. Don't spy, the government hates competition!

Said this in another thread. Where does everybody think competitor's electronics are manufactured at???
Maybe we shouldn't trust a hostile communist regime to manufacture everything we need.

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-27-2019, 04:54 PM
Maybe we shouldn't trust a hostile communist regime to manufacture everything we need.

Exactly my point. Everyone is concerned over the Chinese brand of electronics, but every brand is Chinese brand nowadays. I tried looking this up. I think there's at least some factories in South Korea that produce Samsung. Japan too for their brands, I believe. Probably production to be sold locally or something while the Chinese-made goods are sent overseas.

tod evans
05-27-2019, 04:58 PM
Here's a perspective;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BqK8ywoKRQ