PDA

View Full Version : Concern over facial recognition technology unites progressives and conservatives in Congress

Swordsmyth
05-23-2019, 02:03 AM
A rare show of bipartisan unity broke out in Washington Wednesday as Republicans and Democrats on the House Oversight Committee expressed concerns over the rapid spread of facial recognition software used by technology companies.
“I don’t want to see an authoritarian surveillance state, whether it’s run by a government or whether it’s run by five corporations,” Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., said in reference to Amazon, Microsoft, Apple, Google and Facebook.

Made up of former law enforcement and legal officials as well as face recognition experts, a panel of five witnesses testified at the hearing, with most calling for Congress to take quick action to regulate the technology. They found a receptive audience.
“You’ve hit the sweet spot that brings progressives and conservatives together,” Rep. Mark Meadows, R-N.C., said. “When you have a diverse group on this committee, as diverse as you might see on the polar ends, I’m here to tell you we’re serious about this, and let’s get together and work on legislation.”
On the other side of the country, however, Amazon shareholders rejected a proposal that would have urged the company to ensure its technology doesn’t violate civil rights.

Rep. Jim Jordan, R-O.H., said the lack of standards for government agencies using recognition software reminded him of George Orwell’s dystopian novel “1984.”
“It seems to me it’s time for a time-out,” Jordan said. “It doesn’t matter what side of the political spectrum you’re on. This should concern us all.”

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/concern-over-facial-recognition-technology-unites-progressives-and-conservatives-in-congress-234327186.html

Schifference
05-23-2019, 03:05 AM
Legislation will not stop technology.

PAF
05-23-2019, 05:58 AM
Legislation will not stop technology.

Nor should it.

However government is not private business, and the Bill of Rights is all the legislation one needs to put the chains on government from this type of thing.