PDA

View Full Version : Trump Walks Out of Infrastructure Meeting After Just Three Minutes

Zippyjuan
05-22-2019, 01:37 PM
He invited members of the House and Senate to the White House to discuss more money for infrastructure spending (they had roughly agreed on $2 trillion at a prior meeting) but did not even sit down and left in less than three minutes after it started. Rather than discussing the issue at hand he called them there for, he left in a rant. The state of Washington these days. Nothing will be accomplished on anything. Infrastructure was one of the issues Trump campaigned on. He had a press conference even before the meeting took place.

President Donald Trump and Speaker Nancy Pelosi engaged in a public and bitter feud on Wednesday, with the president detonating bipartisan negotiations over the speaker’s accusations of a "cover-up" and Pelosi bluntly responding: “I pray for the president of the United States.”

The breakdown resulted in Trump declaring that he will not work with congressional Democrats as long as they pursue oversight investigations into him and his administration.

"Let them play their games," Trump said in a heated 12-minute news conference in the Rose Garden after he abruptly called off the meeting about infrastructure. "We're going to go down one track at a time. Let them finish up and we'll be all set.”

The explosive encounter at the White House shattered the good bipartisan vibes emanating from positive budget talks on Tuesday, and startled attendees. The Democratic lawmakers said Trump made them wait, complained about their probes, canceled the meeting and left in a span of just a few minutes.

Senate Minority Whip Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) said it was “high drama in the Cabinet Room.”

“I don’t know where this leaves us as a nation,” Durbin said. “If the president walks out of the meeting, it’s a setback for the country’s priorities.”

Congress' various probes have emerged as the chief source of the president's irritation since the release of special counsel Robert Mueller's redacted report last month. And the White House's blanket refusal to comply with the inquiries has provoked more and more Democrats in recent days to call for the president's impeachment.

Earlier Wednesday, Pelosi (D-Calif.) urged her 235-member caucus in a closed-door conference to back down from calls to oust Trump from office, though she told reporters after the meeting: "We believe that the president of the United States is engaged in a cover-up."

“This is very sad because this meeting was set up a number of days ago,” Trump said of the scuttled infrastructure session.

“All of a sudden I hear last night they’re going to have a meeting right before this meeting to talk about the ‘I’ word," the president said. "The ‘I’ word. Can you imagine?”

Trump decided to hold the impromptu Rose Garden gathering later in the morning after he learned of Pelosi’s comments, according to two senior administration officials. Both acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney and press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders flagged Pelosi’s comments for him, one official said.

"Instead of walking in happily into a meeting, I walk in to look at people that have just said that I was doing a cover-up," Trump told reporters. "I don't do cover-ups. You people know that probably better than anybody."

Speaking from behind a sign attached to his lectern emblazoned with the words "No Collusion" and "No Obstruction," the president praised his administration's cooperation with Mueller's investigation while admonishing the 22-month probe as "a witch hunt," "a hoax," and "a total, horrible thing" for the country that "hurt us in so many ways."

The oversight inquires by Congress, Trump argued, were similarly illegitimate.

"We've had a House investigation. We have Senate investigations. We have investigations like nobody has ever had before, and we did nothing wrong," Trump said.

"They would have loved to have said we colluded. They would have loved it," he continued. "These people were out to get us. The Republican Party and President Trump. They were out to get us."

Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer also had their say, holding their own news conference in the Capitol shortly after Trump wrapped up.

“It wasn’t really respectful of the Congress and the White House working together. He just took a pass,” Pelosi said. “I pray for the president of the United States, and I pray for the United States of America.”

Somewhat surprisingly, the president seemed to agree with Democrats on how the meeting went -- a near replay of when Trump angrily left a meeting with Democrats during the 35-day shutdown and refused to negotiate.

“I walked into the room and I told Senator Schumer, Speaker Pelosi, I want to do infrastructure. I want to do it more than you want to do it. I'd be really good at that. That is what I do,” Trump said. “But you know what, you can't do it under these circumstances. So get these phony investigations over with.”

Three sources familiar with the meeting said the president arrived late on Wednesday morning and vented about Pelosi’s criticisms of him. Trump was "clearly furious" when he came in the room, according to Democratic sources, and ranted at them for several minutes. He complained that Pelosi had accused him of all these "horrible, horrible things,” and he said Democrats were "disrespectful."

Then Trump stormed out of the room without Democrats even getting a chance to speak. Pelosi was also angry and said she “knew he was never serious about infrastructure" as administration staff were in the room.

Schumer later called it a “planned” stunt.

“He is looking for every excuse,” Schumer said at the news conference in the Capitol. “The investigation was going on three weeks ago when we [first] met” on infrastructure.

Ahead of the meeting, Trump told Pelosi and Schumer he would not seriously consider an infrastructure bill until the Democrats passed his new North American trade deal. That suggested that Wednesday’s meeting would be fruitless anyway.

“I’m not sure I would use the same tactics,” said Senate Majority Whip John Thune (R-S.D.) of Trump’s hardball approach on trade.

Sen. Tom Carper (D-Del.) said the White House meeting felt like a set-up when the Democrats realized no Republican lawmakers were invited.

"Hopefully, cooler heads will prevail. Maybe we'll have a miracle and the administration will actually come up with a plan," Carper said.

But few could have foreseen it would have played out in such acrimonious and public fashion, with dueling press conferences and no actual negotiation or dialogue between the president and the opposition party.

"To watch what happened at the White House would make your jaw drop," Schumer concluded.

The issue was probably going nowhere anyways. While Trump pushed the idea during the campaign, his budget proposal only requested $20 billion a year to put towards it. He had promised $1 trillion in spending on infrastructure.

One key problem is that nobody — not the president, not Congress — has put forward any realistic way to pay for all the desired spending, leaving any package little more than a political messaging tool.

Everybody will now blame each other at least until the next election (and probably long after that as well).

Superfluous Man
05-22-2019, 01:42 PM
I said I would give him credit when he did something good, and this is one of those times.

Dary
05-22-2019, 02:12 PM
I would have told her (Pelosi) to get the f*ck out of my office.

Zippyjuan
05-22-2019, 02:16 PM
I would have told her (Pelosi) to get the f*ck out of my office.

It was at his invitation the members of both parties and Houses of Congress were there. He called for the meeting.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-05-15/trump-democrats-plan-infrastructure-follow-up-on-funding

President Donald Trump is set to meet next week with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer to discuss funding options for a $2 trillion infrastructure plan, according to a Senate aide.

The meeting is scheduled for May 22, the aide said. The Democrats said after their last meeting on April 30 that Trump agreed on a $2 trillion goal for rebuilding crumbling U.S. public works but that it was up to the White House to come up way to pay for it.

“If these folks want to make this happen, they can find a way to do it,” Bauer said. “If they want to do absolutely nothing for the next two years and try to justify that, then I guess that’s the approach they’ll take.”

He also backed off supporting infrastructure in general despite his campaign pledges. He says Congress must approve his NAFTA II treaty first.

axiomata
05-22-2019, 02:24 PM
Nothing good could have come out of that meeting. Just more spending other people's money.

Trump would normally be gung ho about bipartisan infrastructure spending, so if he just called the meeting to essentially say FU that would be hilarious.

nikcers
05-22-2019, 02:25 PM
It was at his invitation the members of both parties and Houses of Congress were there. He called for the meeting.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-05-15/trump-democrats-plan-infrastructure-follow-up-on-funding

He also backed off supporting infrastructure in general despite his campaign pledges. He says Congress must approve his NAFTA II treaty first.
He also said HIGH FIVE! and then moved his hand and yelled TOO SLOW whenever their hand got close

RJB
05-22-2019, 02:32 PM
I haven't seen any video, but it sounds like Thug Life material.

Brian4Liberty
05-22-2019, 02:38 PM
Good.

PAF
05-22-2019, 02:53 PM
$2 Trillion. Now the “republicans” can get upset at the dems (and vice versa) and really push for for “infrastructure”. Things like Domestic TSA which is already outlined, Biometrics so that Trump can keep his campaign promise.....etc.

Of course the idea of states and local working on “improvements” is no longer considered.

Boy do they (both sides) know how to muster up public support.

phill4paul
05-22-2019, 03:12 PM
Good.

Yes. Yes, it is.

Anti Globalist
05-22-2019, 03:14 PM
Bet he walked out like a total boss.

Stratovarious
05-22-2019, 03:16 PM
He invited members of the House and Senate to the White House to discuss more money for infrastructure spending (they had roughly agreed on $2 trillion at a prior meeting) but did not even sit down and left in less than three minutes after it started. Rather than discussing the issue at hand he called them there for, he left in a rant. The state of Washington these days. Nothing will be accomplished on anything. Infrastructure was one of the issues Trump campaigned on. He had a press conference even before the meeting took place.

The issue was probably going nowhere anyways. While Trump pushed the idea during the campaign, his budget proposal only requested $20 billion a year to put towards it. He had promised $1 trillion in spending on infrastructure.

Everybody will now blame each other at least until the next election (and probably long after that as well).

He stayed too long.

Superfluous Man
05-22-2019, 03:39 PM

Here's to hoping Congress never approves NAFTA II and this one turns out to be a promise he actually keeps.

Dary
05-22-2019, 04:10 PM
Yeah, and then she pulled that whole "engaged in a cover-up BS".

I would have told her to get the f*ck out, and if she would have set there flapping her jowls, I would have had my secret service physically remove her.

Zippyjuan
05-22-2019, 04:18 PM
Trump has had several of these bi-partisan White House meetings in the past and ended up doing the opposite of what was agreed to at the meeting anyways. They are just for show.

RJB
05-22-2019, 04:30 PM
Yeah, and then she pulled that whole "engaged in a cover-up BS".

I would have told her to get the f*ck out, and if she would have set there flapping her jowls, I would have had my secret service physically remove her.
I would have been pissed off too. A Speaker of the House doesn't accuse someone of criminal activity with absolutely no proof.

Brian4Liberty
05-22-2019, 06:17 PM
I would have been pissed off too. A Speaker of the House doesn't accuse someone of criminal activity with absolutely no proof.

Apparently the Democrats have probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized. Maybe Pelosi is the person who has sworn the Oath?

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

enhanced_deficit
05-22-2019, 06:25 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/images/icons/icon14.png Globalism win: Trump tells Dem leaders to pass new NAFTA or no infrastructure deal (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?534809-Globalism-win-Trump-tells-Dem-leaders-to-pass-new-NAFTA-or-no-infrastructure-deal&)

Swordsmyth
05-22-2019, 06:34 PM
GEOTUS is THE MAN!

Swordsmyth
05-22-2019, 06:36 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/images/icons/icon14.png Globalism win: Trump tells Dem leaders to pass new NAFTA or no infrastructure deal (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?534809-Globalism-win-Trump-tells-Dem-leaders-to-pass-new-NAFTA-or-no-infrastructure-deal&)

And then he provokes them so that they will kill both to spite him. :D

Zippyjuan
05-22-2019, 06:44 PM
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-s-new-message-me-first-america-second-n1008881

Republicans said Wednesday that Trump's tack isn't helpful for policy-making or his re-election, even though it puts pressure on Pelosi because many of the rank-and-file members of her Democratic caucus want to show voters they can govern.

"Trump just asserted that he's putting Americans second to his impeachment troubles," Dan Eberhart, a major Republican donor who supports the president, said in a text message. "If he won't work with Dems on legislation for the people until they stop investigating, that is beyond troubling. He needs to focus on progress for everyday Americans."

It's the opposite of the approach President Bill Clinton pursued during the House Republican investigations of him, when he worked with GOP leaders in Congress to enact deficit-reduction plans, a rewrite of the nation's welfare system and other laws.

"Congress has a responsibility to both conduct oversight and legislate. The administration has a responsibility to govern," Michael Steel, a former aide to then-Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, said in an email. "And 'my way or the highway' is a lousy infrastructure plan, but that's what the president told the American people today."

"I get why Trump is pissed, but if you're [president] they're going to relentlessly attack your castle. And you have to optically be focused on doing good for the voters," he said. "Pelosi is between a rock and a hard place. She knows voters don't care about impeachment. But her members want the president's blood. The president is just taking advantage of Pelosi's predicament."

Swordsmyth
05-22-2019, 06:59 PM
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-s-new-message-me-first-america-second-n1008881
LOL