PDA

View Full Version : Alabama Senate passes ban on abortion, with few exceptions

Swordsmyth
05-15-2019, 12:26 AM
Alabama's Senate passed a near-total ban on abortion Tuesday, sending what would be the nation's most stringent abortion law to the state's Republican governor.The GOP-dominated Senate voted 25-6 to make performing an abortion at any stage of pregnancy a felony punishable by up to 99 years or life in prison for the abortion provider. The only exception would be when the woman's health is at serious risk.
Senators rejected an attempt to add an exception for rape and incest. The amendment was voted down 21-11, with four Republicans joining Democrats.

Bill sponsor Rep. Terri Collins said she expects Gov. Kay Ivey to sign the ban into law. Ivey has not publicly commented on what she'll do.
The lopsided vote suggests a veto could be easily overcome. Ivey spokeswoman Lori Jhons said in a statement after the vote that "the governor intends to withhold comment until she has had a chance to thoroughly review the final version of the bill that passed."
Supporters said the bill is designed to conflict with the U.S. Supreme Court's landmark 1973 Roe v. Wade decision legalizing abortion nationally, because they hope to spark a court case that might prompt the justices to revisit abortion rights.
"It's to address the issue that Roe. v. Wade was decided on. Is that baby in the womb a person?" Collins said.

"Roe v. Wade has ended the lives of millions of children," Republican Sen. Clyde Chambliss said in a statement after the bill's passage. "While we cannot undo the damage that decades of legal precedence under Roe have caused, this bill has the opportunity to save the lives of millions of unborn children."
Emboldened by conservative justices who have joined the Supreme Court, abortion opponents in several states are seeking to challenge abortion access. Kentucky, Mississippi, Ohio and Georgia have approved bans on abortion once a fetal heartbeat is detected, which can occur in about the sixth week of pregnancy.
The Alabama bill goes further by seeking to outlaw abortion outright. Unlike measures in other states, Alabama would punish only the abortion provider, not the woman receiving the abortion.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/alabama-senate-heads-toward-vote-abortion-ban-measure-052056010.html

Anti Federalist
05-15-2019, 01:57 AM
Good. Let's see where this goes.

UWDude
05-15-2019, 11:10 PM
Not even in case of rape or incest?

Terrible bill.

I understand that people would just lie to get the abortion.
But it's still a terrible bill.

Swordsmyth
05-15-2019, 11:22 PM

Terrible bill.

Did the child commit the rape or incest?

Then why should it be executed for it?

Execute the rapist or incestor and adopt out the baby.

UWDude
05-15-2019, 11:25 PM
Did the child commit the rape or incest?

Then why should it be executed for it?

Execute the rapist or incestor and adopt out the baby.

If rape spawn is hated, rape spawn should be eliminated.
Nobody should have to carry the spawn of their rapist.
The idea is sick.
Same with incest. Yeah, 14 and pregnant with Daddies "child", but gotta go to school with the big belly.
Sick.

Swordsmyth
05-15-2019, 11:27 PM
If rape spawn is hated, rape spawn should be eliminated.
Nobody should have to carry the spawn of their rapist.
The idea is sick.
Same with incest. Yeah, 14 and pregnant with Daddies "child", but gotta go to school with the big belly.
Sick.
That's why you should execute the rapist or incestor but I don't see any justification for executing the child.

UWDude
05-15-2019, 11:30 PM
That's why you should execute the rapist or incestor but I don't see any justification for executing the child.

I see plenty. Sometimes you gotta gas the cute puppies and kittens, cuz nobody wants them.
Not to mention all the sweet abandoned and abused animals.
That's the real world.

"Children" breathe air and chew food, by the way.

Oh, and people can't die from Ru-486. Because they breathe air and chew food.

Swordsmyth
05-15-2019, 11:35 PM
I see plenty. Sometimes you gotta gas the cute puppies and kittens, cuz nobody wants them.
Not to mention all the sweet abandoned and abused animals.
That's the real world.

"Children" breathe air and chew food, by the way.

Oh, and people can't die from Ru-486. Because they breathe air and chew food.
It IS a child NOT a puppy or a kitten.

UWDude
05-15-2019, 11:44 PM

Puppies and kitties breathe air, and eat food.
So do children.

nikcers
05-15-2019, 11:47 PM

Spay and neuter all the things

Swordsmyth
05-16-2019, 12:00 AM
Spay and neuter all the things
Kill all the things.

axiomata
05-16-2019, 12:17 AM
Good. Though I'd decriminalize it in the case of rape (but not consensual incest)

Anti Federalist
05-16-2019, 12:45 AM

Terrible bill.

It was written that way on purpose.

It is not designed to stand as is, it is designed to go directly to a SCOTUS challenge to determine, legally, this question:

"Is a child in the womb, with a heartbeat, a 'person' or just a mass of fetal tissue?"

Grandmastersexsay
05-16-2019, 06:39 AM

Terrible bill.

If they allowed abortions in those cases, what do you think would happen? Here is how it would go:

Doctor - Ok, you want an abortion, was the pregnancy a result of rape or incest?

Girl - No, I just wasn't careful with my boyfriend.

Doctor - I don't think you understand. If you want an abortion, it must be due to rape or incest. Look, we won't be testing the baby's DNA to see if it likely matches a relative and HIPAA laws will protect anyone from rape allegations. So, I'll ask again, was the pregnancy a result of rape or incest?

Girl - Oh, yeah, my brother raped me.

Doctor - OK, let's get this abortion rolling.

UWDude
05-16-2019, 10:18 AM
If they allowed abortions in those cases, what do you think would happen?

Did you seriously just quote me saying " I understand that people would just lie to get the abortion."

And then ask me

"If they allowed abortions in those cases, what do you think would happen?"

and then proceed to tell me people would just lie to get the abortion?

Swordsmyth
05-16-2019, 04:09 PM
https://twitter.com/seanmdav/status/1128836600354496512

Swordsmyth
05-16-2019, 06:25 PM
Qatar-Run Al Jazeera Posts Video Attacking Alabama Law. The Middle Eastern Country Jails Women For Abortion (https://www.infowars.com/qatar-run-al-jazeera-posts-video-attacking-alabama-law-the-middle-eastern-country-jails-women-for-abortion/)