PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 Grendel: Anyone firing it yet?

john_anderson_ii
12-13-2007, 09:53 PM
I can't wait to get my hands on a platform that shoots this round. It looks very promising. I read a little about it a while back, and was blown away by it's performance. However, at the time no one could get their hands on the round or anything to shoot it with. Wolf is now making production ammo, and brass, loading dies, and factory projectiles are easy to find. A conversion kits/barrels for the AR/16 platform is now being made.

If you like powerful, accurate, lethal and low recoil ammunition. Check this out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.5_mm_Grendel

Dequeant
12-14-2007, 06:52 PM
I'm highly interested in it, and have been for a while. However, due to the fact that it's a proprietary round (and manufacturers must PAY a fee to produce rifles that shoot the round) i don't see it ever becoming as widely available as 5.56 or 7.62.

If they dropped that licensing fee, it would take off like a wild fire because all the major manufacturers would starting making rifles to shoot it.

As it stands now, i'm going with 6.8SPC purely because Stag arms doesn't make a 6.5 Grendel version....and only Stag makes left-handed AR's.

pcosmar
12-14-2007, 07:35 PM
The 6.5 Grendel and 6.8SPC were two experiments at improving the ballistics over the 5.56. They are both intermediate rounds and it seems that the 6.8SPC has caught on.
They are both improvements over the 5.56 and have similar characteristics. I would go with the 6.8SPC as it is available.

Stag Arms was the first Left hand AR that I heard of but there is another. It is a little more pricey.
http://www.lefthandrifles.com/ar/

10thAmendmentMan
12-14-2007, 10:07 PM
I'm highly interested in it, and have been for a while. However, due to the fact that it's a proprietary round (and manufacturers must PAY a fee to produce rifles that shoot the round) i don't see it ever becoming as widely available as 5.56 or 7.62.

I read something a year or so ago about Wolf producing 6.5mm ammo. I don't know if they ever had any follow-through on that though.

john_anderson_ii
12-15-2007, 12:02 AM
Wolf is producing the ammo, it's linked off Alexander Arms website. I think in the future Alexander is going to have to lower licensing fees if they want to make any money on this round.

I load my ammo these days, and dies are available for my press. I guess I can get brass and projectiles for this round now.

Maybe I'll look into get an 6.5mm capable AR sometime in the future.