PDA

View Full Version : University Shootings Will Only Get Worse. Here Is a Solution

shakey1
05-08-2019, 12:29 PM
Last week witnessed the final day of classes at the University of North Carolina-Charlotte (UNCC). It was also the last day of Riley Howell's life. When a gunman entered his classroom, panic quickly ensued, and virtually everyone ran for the exits — everyone except Riley Howell. With instincts that precious few possess, and tactics taught by the United States Secret Service, this young man ran toward the danger and tackled the shooter, knocking him off his feet, which enabled first-responders to subdue the gunman. Howell would pay for this brave and selfless act with his life, an action that apparently surprised no one who knew him. His friends and family would have expected nothing less from this twenty-one-year-old ROTC cadet, who envisioned a career in the military or in firefighting because putting others first was who he was. His family stated, as a matter of fact, that had Riley turned and run when the shooter entered the classroom, he would never have been able to live with himself. Riley Howell died too young, but he died a hero.
The statistics on campus shootings are grim. Between the 2001–02 and 2015–16 academic school years, 437 people were shot (https://www.campussafetymagazine.com/university/college-campus-shooting-statistics/), leaving 167 dead in 190 separate incidents on 142 college campuses. This includes carnage on the campus of Virginia Tech that alone claimed 32 lives. Other incidents (https://www.daytondailynews.com/news/crime--law/the-deadliest-college-campus-shootings-history/bx9GETTkckx0on6k8QiycN/) in the headlines include the University of Iowa (1991, 4 dead), Northern Illinois University (2008, 5 dead, 21 injured ), Oikos University (2012, 7 dead, 3 injured), Santa Monica College (2013, 5 dead, 4 injured), and Umpqua Community College (2015, 9 dead, 9 injured). This trend of increased violence on college campuses shows no sign of abating. The number of casualties over the last five years represents a 241-percent increase over the number of casualties during the 2001–2006 school years. There are more ominous clouds (https://www.the74million.org/new-fbi-data-school-based-hate-crimes-jumped-25-percent-last-year-for-the-second-year-in-a-row/)on the horizon, including a concerning spike in hate crimes on college campuses.
The UNCC deaths of Riley Howell and another student (Ellis Parlier) will regrettably not be the last on college campuses. Unlike airplanes and K–12 schools, universities are by their very nature open environments that have no natural choke points that facilitate screening for weapons and stopping those intent on doing harm. In the nomenclature of the day, universities are your quintessential soft targets. The lethal combination of large lecture halls (with capacities of several hundred), the attention of students focused elsewhere and ready access to rapid-fire weaponry, classrooms can easily become shooting galleries for those with evil intent. The time has come for creative ("outside-the-box") solutions to this serious problem.
A proposal that universities should seriously consider is to offer free or highly subsidized tuition to law enforcement personnel who are committed to advancing their education while carrying lethal force sufficient to neutralize any threat that may arise. This proposal promises myriad benefits at little or no real cost.
First, this proposal reduces the likelihood of a bloodbath that would almost certainly have occurred at UNCC because we cannot expect every classroom to have a Riley Howell present. What is more, we should not be asking college students to defend their classmates against the ongoing threat of lethal force. This is a job for professionals who are trained to identify the threat well in advance of it becoming an "active shooter" situation.
Second, not unlike the use of air marshals, knowledge of this plan should serve as an effective deterrent to those who would otherwise go unchallenged. The prospective shooters will be less likely to engage the campus environment because they recognize that the odds of success in carrying out their plans have been markedly reduced.
Third, this plan offers the prospect of easing the long held tensions between academia and law enforcement. The "socialization" of law enforcement personnel with faculty and students should help to improve community relations in the aggregate. Law enforcement will increasingly be seen on campus as friend, not foe.
Fourth, the quality of the learning environment on college campuses is likely to be enhanced when students can focus on their studies with less concern over the threat that is poised to walk into their classroom mid-lecture.
Fifth, this proposal offers the prospect of a win-win proposition for all parties. The effective cost to the university for these tuition breaks is negligible. (The marginal cost of filling an empty seat in a classroom is essentially zero.) In turn, law enforcement personnel are able to invest in their human capital at virtually no cost to them. This will serve to complement tuition assistance programs that many police departments across the country already provide. These supplemental benefits should aid recruiting efforts and partly compensate for the increased risk borne by law enforcement personnel in modern society.
Finally, because these tuition benefits represent a de facto salary increase for those participating in the program, the quality of candidates attracted to careers in law enforcement can be expected to increase. At the end of the day, we can reasonably expect a more highly educated law enforcement community and an increase in the caliber of those attracted to this profession. This may be expected to further improve relations between academia and law enforcement.
Riley Howell's selfless sacrifice enabled his fellow students to pursue their dreams even though it came at the high cost of never being able to realize his own. He need not have died in vain. Because he was armed with the courage to do what few others would, we owe it to him to devise smart solutions to this mounting threat on college campuses and reduce the risk that more students will be needlessly slaughtered. Godspeed, Riley Howell.

https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2019/05/university_shootings_will_only_get_worse_here_is_a _solution.html

Zippyjuan
05-08-2019, 01:01 PM
https://www.npr.org/2018/03/15/593831564/the-disconnect-between-perceived-danger-in-u-s-schools-and-reality

Despite Heightened Fear Of School Shootings, It's Not A Growing Epidemic

The Parkland shooting last month has energized student activists, who are angry and frustrated over gun violence. But it's also contributed to the impression that school shootings are a growing epidemic in America.

In truth, they're not.

"Schools are safer today than they had been in previous decades," says James Alan Fox, a professor of criminology at Northeastern University who has studied the phenomenon of mass murder since the 1980s.

Fox and doctoral student Emma Fridel crunched the numbers, and the results should come as a relief to parents.

First, while multiple-victim shootings in general are on the rise, that's not the case in schools. There's an average of about one a year — in a country with more than 100,000 schools.

"There were more back in the '90s than in recent years," says Fox. "For example, in one school year — 1997-98 — there were four multiple-victim shootings in schools."

Second, the overall number of gunshot victims at schools is also down. According to Fox's numbers, back in the 1992-93 school year, about 0.55 students per million were shot and killed; in 2014-15, that rate was closer to 0.15 per million.

"The difference is the impression, the perception that people have," Fox says — and he traces that to cable news and social media. "Today we have cell phone recordings of gunfire that play over and over and over again. So it's that the impression is very different. That's why people think things are a lot worse now, but the statistics say otherwise."

Other experts agree. Garen Wintemute is an emergency room physician who leads a prominent gun violence research program at the University of California, Davis. He says school shootings, specifically, are not epidemic.

"Schools are just about the safest place in the world for kids to be," Wintemute says. "Although each one of them is horrific and rivets the entire nation for a period of time, mass shootings at schools are really very uncommon, and they are not increasing in frequency. What's changed is how aware we are of them."

But Wintemute believes mass shootings — whether in schools or elsewhere — are increasing social pressure to address the far more common threat of small-scale shootings, which mostly happen in private.

"For school-age kids, the kind of shooting we most need to worry about is the kind of shooting that occurs off the school grounds," Wintemute says. "The best way to prevent school shootings is to prevent shootings in general."

He endorses broader gun safety measures, such as "red flag" laws, which give authorities the ability to remove firearms temporarily from people deemed to be threatening violence to themselves or others.

Wintemute and Fox say that by focusing so narrowly on school shootings, we run the risk of turning schools into fortresses. Fox says, given the statistics, it's misguided to put kids through metal detectors and active shooter drills, and he doesn't like the new calls for armed teachers.

"Most adults wouldn't want their workplaces to look like what some of the schools are looking like, now," Fox says.

More at link.

Anti Federalist
05-08-2019, 01:06 PM
https://www.npr.org/2018/03/15/593831564/the-disconnect-between-perceived-danger-in-u-s-schools-and-reality

Despite Heightened Fear Of School Shootings, It's Not A Growing Epidemic

That's good to know.

That means a common sense measure like removing firearms restrictions on teachers and students alike and restoring their natural right to defend themselves both on and off campus, would be a perfect solution to those rare instances of school shooters running amok.

Glad to see you agree.

nobody's_hero
05-08-2019, 01:47 PM
If you want my opinion on the overall cause, it's because we're raising pansies.

Cut all the cute, educational crap off of TV and go back to cartoon characters dropping anvils on each other, rolling cigarettes, and blasting each other in the face with guns.

I swear to God it has something to do with what we shield our kids from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV5GipqfE1A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQXCqAmVyx4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And here is why your kids are *snapping*:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N33ldfKwdLs

Just my opinion, but there must be something to it because I damn sure don't remember this many school shootings when kids were allowed to watch programs that are now deemed 'not politically correct'.

(and I know Dora is a bit dated, I stopped keeping up with the garbage they're passing off as cartoons these days)

shakey1
05-08-2019, 01:53 PM
If you want my opinion on the overall cause, it's because we're raising pansies.

Cut all the cute, educational crap off of TV and go back to cartoon characters dropping anvils on each other, rolling cigarettes, and blasting each other in the face with guns.

I swear to God it has something to do with what we shield our kids from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV5GipqfE1A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO4JcgD3vq0

Ah, the classics... +rep

nobody's_hero
05-08-2019, 02:16 PM
Ah, the classics... +rep

I swapped the vids around because there were some even better examples I found, haha.

Honestly, I remember watching Bugs Bunny with my dad when I was 3 years old. I don't think I could stand to watch more than a few seconds of a modern cartoon with my kids today, no matter how much I love them. It's just kind of mind-numbing.

Valli6
05-08-2019, 03:20 PM
Honestly, I remember watching Bugs Bunny with my dad when I was 3 years old. I don't think I could stand to watch more than a few seconds of a modern cartoon with my kids today, no matter how much I love them. It's just kind of mind-numbing.
Which reminds me - ‘Loony Tunes’ were not made for kids. They were originally made to be shown before a main movie, so had to appeal to the whole audience, including adults. Since the 70’s, cartoons have become more and more about teaching kids to be 1) constantly nice and 2) safe! They are never introduced to the concept that life can be more like being constantly hit over the head, blown up, and sometimes having a piano fall out of the sky to squash you flat.

Brian4Liberty
05-08-2019, 04:08 PM
That's good to know.

That means a common sense measure like removing firearms restrictions on teachers and students alike and restoring their natural right to defend themselves both on and off campus, would be a perfect solution to those rare instances of school shooters running amok.

Glad to see you agree.

Zippy will post the contrarian view to anything that is considered right of center or anti-establishment.