PDA

View Full Version : US imposes tariffs on Mexican tomatoes

Swordsmyth
05-07-2019, 08:11 PM
The United States imposed tariffs on Mexican tomatoes on Tuesday, adding to tensions between the two neighbors just as debate deepens over their new -- but not yet ratified -- trade deal with Canada.The 17.5-percent tariffs came into effect after the countries failed to renew an agreement that suspended a US anti-dumping investigation first opened 23 years ago.

The United States opened an anti-dumping investigation against Mexico over tomatoes in 1996, but had repeatedly suspended it -- and the tariffs that come with it -- under a series of deals.
President Donald Trump's administration said in March the two sides had failed to renew the deal and that the tariffs would come into force.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/trade-tensions-us-slaps-tariffs-mexican-tomatoes-171148840.html

oyarde
05-07-2019, 08:16 PM
I grow my own . Safer that way , nobody crapping in my field . I imagine some of the dirtier libertarians probably eat shitty mexican tomatoes though . LOL

Zippyjuan
05-07-2019, 08:22 PM
People prefer the flavor of the Mexican tomatoes compared to the ones from Florida since the let them ripen more prior to shipping.

Zippyjuan
05-07-2019, 08:23 PM
I grow my own . Safer that way , nobody crapping in my field . I imagine some of the dirtier libertarians probably eat $#@!ty mexican tomatoes though . LOL

Organic fertilizer.

Swordsmyth
05-07-2019, 08:25 PM
Organic fertilizer.
Humanure is unsafe.

Brian4Liberty
05-07-2019, 08:29 PM
I grow my own . Safer that way , nobody crapping in my field . I imagine some of the dirtier libertarians probably eat shitty mexican tomatoes though . LOL

The only way to go. Eat them fresh, and can some for the winter.

People prefer the flavor of the Mexican tomatoes compared to the ones from Florida since the let them ripen more prior to shipping.

All store bought tomatoes are crap. Mexico can keep their tomatoes. And China can keep all of the “food” they export.

ATruepatriot
05-07-2019, 08:30 PM
Humanure is unsafe.

Actually if it is handled properly it is safe. I know a lot of folks out in the sticks who use composting toilets and the health Dept allows them to garden with it as long as it is aired well for awhile.

Swordsmyth
05-07-2019, 08:34 PM
Actually if it is handled properly it is safe. I know a lot of folks out in the sticks who use composting toilets and the health Dept allows them to garden with it as long as it is aired well for awhile.
It may be safe if dealt with properly but workers depositing it in the fields and getting it on the produce is not the proper way to deal with it.

ATruepatriot
05-07-2019, 08:36 PM
It may be safe if dealt with properly but workers depositing it in the fields and getting it on the produce is not the proper way to deal with it.

That is a fact.

Zippyjuan
05-07-2019, 08:48 PM

Just don't rub it all over your fruits or vegetables before you pick them and wash them anyways. Crap is crap- whether it is from animals or humans.

Swordsmyth
05-07-2019, 08:51 PM
Just don't rub it all over your fruits or vegetables before you pick them and wash them anyways. Crap is crap- whether it is from animals or humans.
Humanure is worse and it is the mexican field workers that need sanitation lectures.

ATruepatriot
05-07-2019, 08:53 PM

All of it fresh is a problem. It has to age and allow microbes to do their thing before any of it is safe.

tfurrh
05-07-2019, 09:09 PM
That is a fact.

Swordster is an expert on crap

Swordsmyth
05-07-2019, 09:13 PM
It comes from having to deal with so much of it here.

dannno
05-07-2019, 09:24 PM
Humanure is unsafe.

Human feces isn't safe, neither are animal feces. Since vegetables grow close to the soil it can transfer over bacteria. Humanure and manure are perfectly safe if it is treated properly. One way is to mix it with a bunch of peat moss and let it degrade for a while.

enhanced_deficit
05-07-2019, 09:28 PM
President Donald Trump's administration said in March the two sides had failed to renew the deal and that the tariffs would come into force.

My faith in Art of the Deal is not shaken still but getting tad bit concerned that MAGA has such amazing meetings and summits with other leaders but those are not translating into deals yet. Had never expected such frequent use of MAGA, deal and f-word in same sentence (not just great photo op summits with MX (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?533104-POTUS-to-pursue-an-aggressive-executive-crackdown-on-immigration&p=6793453&viewfull=1#post6793453) on tomatoes, border invasion caravans etc but summits with NK on denuke, with China on IP , with Pelosi/Schumer on gov shut/DACA/debt ceiling etc so far have not produced great deals). Or might be 3D.

shakey1
05-07-2019, 09:36 PM
https://youtu.be/PXwReL2JJO0

CCTelander
05-07-2019, 09:52 PM
It comes from having to deal with shoveling out so much of it here.

FIFY

Swordsmyth
05-07-2019, 10:25 PM
FIFY
Yes, cleaning the Augean Stables.

Swordsmyth
05-07-2019, 10:26 PM
My faith in Art of the Deal is not shaken still but getting tad bit concerned that MAGA has such amazing meetings and summits with other leaders but those are not translating into deals yet. Had never expected such frequent use of MAGA, deal and f-word in same sentence (not just great photo op summits with MX (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?533104-POTUS-to-pursue-an-aggressive-executive-crackdown-on-immigration&p=6793453&viewfull=1#post6793453) on tomatoes, border invasion caravans etc but summits with NK on denuke, with China on IP , with Pelosi/Schumer on gov shut/DACA/debt ceiling etc so far have not produced great deals). Or might be 3D.
No deal is better than a bad deal, if you don't know that you will never have a good deal.

RonZeplin
05-07-2019, 11:08 PM

+rep

Swordsmyth
05-07-2019, 11:17 PM
+rep

Says the guy who is still using a deceptively edited quote in his signature.

CCTelander
05-07-2019, 11:24 PM
Yes, cleaning the Augean Stables.

Comparing yourself to Hercules now? Now THAT'S arrogance.

You spread the manure rather than clean it up. But you know that already.

Swordsmyth
05-07-2019, 11:29 PM
Comparing yourself to Hercules now? Now THAT'S arrogance.
It's humor, the only fitting response to you and your buddies.

You spread the manure rather than clean it up. But you know that already.
Backwards, as always.

RonZeplin
05-07-2019, 11:33 PM
Says the guy who is still using a deceptively edited quote in his signature.

I quoted the only thing I could find from you that was not BS. Go ahead, click on the link and re-post the spin shuck 'n jive, I'm NOT going to push that drivel.

Swordsmyth
05-07-2019, 11:42 PM
I quoted the only thing I could find from you that was not BS. Go ahead, click on the link and re-post the spin shuck 'n jive, I'm NOT going to push that drivel.
You took a part out of context to make it seem like a compliment when I clearly was not complimenting you:

I vehemently oppose illegal immigration and abortion no matter who is involved, my record on both is clear.
I also manage to praise good actions on either no matter who is involved.

You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong, you never attack anyone else in politics about either one and you never argue with the posters here who defend either one.

Prove me wrong, show just one post where you admit one good thing Trump has done about either or one post in the last year where you attacked anyone else or opposed anyone on this forum.

RonZeplin
05-07-2019, 11:52 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Swordsmyth http://www.ronpaulforums.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=6737359#post6737359)
I vehemently oppose illegal immigration and abortion no matter who is involved, my record on both is clear.
I also manage to praise good actions on either no matter who is involved.

You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong, you never attack anyone else in politics about either one and you never argue with the posters here who defend either one.

Prove me wrong, show just one post where you admit one good thing Trump has done about either or one post in the last year where you attacked anyone else or opposed anyone on this forum.

You took a part out of context to make it seem like a compliment when I clearly was not complimenting you:

No one is wrong as often and in as many posts as you, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Swordsmyth
05-07-2019, 11:55 PM
No one is wrong as often and in as many posts as you, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
:rolleyes:

Even if that was true it's no excuse for a deceptively edited quote.

Schifference
05-08-2019, 04:11 AM

Does not the US have many agriculture workers that come from Mexico to pick produce? Do they bring their chit and habits with them?

TheCount
05-08-2019, 04:22 AM
:rolleyes:

Even if that was true it's no excuse for a deceptively edited quote.
were

oyarde
05-08-2019, 06:14 AM
Does not the US have many agriculture workers that come from Mexico to pick produce? Do they bring their chit and habits with them?

South of here they are used for tobacco . That way it is heat treated .

ATruepatriot
05-08-2019, 06:24 AM

Interesting observation I have made around here. Anyone who cares more about the future of this country than they do for their own selfish interests is full of crap. I suppose I am too then.

nikcers
05-08-2019, 06:51 AM
Interesting observation I have made around here. Anyone who cares more about the future of this country than they do for their own selfish interests is full of crap. I suppose I am too then.

Man who gate keeps shitposting is full of crap.

Superfluous Man
05-08-2019, 06:53 AM

"Country" meaning what specifically? The federal government? Or 300 million unique individuals each with their own separate interests who all happen to live in this geographical area?

ATruepatriot
05-08-2019, 07:16 AM
"Country" meaning what specifically? The federal government? Or 300 million unique individuals each with their own separate interests who all happen to live in this geographical area?

Never loyalty to a centralized government. But when you have a bunch of individuals who all want to play a different game on the field none of these games are ever won, they all lose. At some point all the individual players will have to at least agree on what game is to be played. I understand the anti collectivism, but man would have gone extinct if there had not been some minimal clanship and organized tribal effort towards a common goal.

Superfluous Man
05-08-2019, 07:26 AM
But when you have a bunch of individuals who all want to play a different game on the field none of these games are ever won, they all lose. At some point all the individual players will have to at least agree on what game is to be played.

I don't see why this must be the case. It's certainly unethical for one group of individuals to conquer the others with violence in the name of getting them to play a game they won't voluntarily play. On the other hand, there exists a natural law that comes from the Creator, which is not a game and does not depend on anyone agreeing to it, that binds us all on this planet irrespective of national boundaries. So, even if the players on a field agree on no other rules, the ethical order demanded by this natural law, that is justice itself, will always obtain. When it comes to compelling others against their wills, we should be content with that law of justice itself, the only law that actually exists, without feeling some need to force them to submit to additional unjust laws because we want some field to play some made up game.

Also, I can't see what the answer to my question is from your response. If "country" as you used it in the post above is not defined as the jurisdiction of a government, then what is this abstract thing that's distinguishable from the individuals who comprise it whose future you care about?

Left with only the response you gave, I can only infer that the country whose future you care about is the equivalent of a game with made up rules that differ from the rules that justice demands.

ATruepatriot
05-08-2019, 08:20 AM
I don't see why this must be the case. It's certainly unethical for one group of individuals to conquer the others with violence in the name of getting them to play a game they won't voluntarily play. On the other hand, there exists a natural law that comes from the Creator, which is not a game and does not depend on anyone agreeing to it, that binds us all on this planet irrespective of national boundaries. So, even if the players on a field agree on no other rules, the ethical order demanded by this natural law, that is justice itself, will always obtain. When it comes to compelling others against their wills, we should be content with that law of justice itself, the only law that actually exists, without feeling some need to force them to submit to additional unjust laws because we want some field to play some made up game.

Also, I can't see what the answer to my question is from your response. If "country" as you used it in the post above is not defined as the jurisdiction of a government, then what is this abstract thing that's distinguishable from the individuals who comprise it whose future you care about?

Left with only the response you gave, I can only infer that the country whose future you care about is the equivalent of a game with made up rules that differ from the rules that justice demands.

I said nothing about violence or coercion from one group over another. But at some point we need to recognize that as a free civilization in whole we are dependent on each other and need each other to survive as a free civilization. If we care at all about future generations what we do now will determine if they are to remain free. This cannot be done through chaos and anarchy, the only way it can be done is if individuals willingly come together as a clan and concentrate efforts in one direction with the goal of protecting future generations. By country I do not mean the jurisdiction of a government, I mean a tribe of individuals who need each other for the tribe to survive based on reality. Unless all these individuals willingly agree on a common direction it is never going to happen and we will lose it, more so future generations will lose it.

Do we care about future generations? Or is all that counts is the me, my, mine right now with no concern for what happens to our civilization in the future? For myself I care more about the future generations than I do my personal interests, it is the primal instincts of man to protect the next generations to better the survival of man. Without this we are no more than reptiles who do not protect their offspring. I would like to think that humans are better than reptiles.

nikcers
05-08-2019, 08:28 AM
I said nothing about violence or coercion from one group over another. But at some point we need to recognize that as a free civilization in whole we are dependent on each other and need each other to survive as a free civilization. If we care at all about future generations what we do now will determine if they are to remain free. This cannot be done through chaos and anarchy, the only way it can be done is if individuals willingly come together as a clan and concentrate efforts in one direction with the goal of protecting future generations. By country I do not mean the jurisdiction of a government, I mean a tribe of individuals who need each other for the tribe to survive based on reality. Unless all these individuals willingly agree on a common direction it is never going to happen and we will lose it, more so future generations will lose it.

Do we care about future generations? Or is all that counts is the me, my, mine right now with no concern for what happens to our civilization in the future? For myself I care more about the future generations than I do my personal interests, it is the primal instincts of man to protect the next generations to better the survival of man. Without this we are no more than reptiles who do not protect their offspring. I would like to think that humans are better than reptiles.

LOL have you seen the national debt and unfunded liabilities? Why do you think the government wants a bunch of us to die?

ATruepatriot
05-08-2019, 08:33 AM
LOL have you seen the national debt and unfunded liabilities? Why do you think the government wants a bunch of us to die?

Exactly... And if we are all going in a couple million different directions with chaos it will never get fixed.

AdamL
05-08-2019, 12:58 PM

na·tion
/ˈnāSH(ə)n/
noun
noun: nation; plural noun: nations

a large body of people united by common descent, history, culture, or language, inhabiting a particular country or territory.

Superfluous Man
05-08-2019, 01:01 PM
na·tion
/ˈnāSH(ə)n/
noun
noun: nation; plural noun: nations

a large body of people united by common descent, history, culture, or language, inhabiting a particular country or territory.

OK. So it's people that matter then. The whole federal government could get overthrown, and as long as the country is equal to the people, its future would remain intact. They may well even be better off. Glad we settled that.

nikcers
05-08-2019, 01:29 PM
OK. So it's people that matter then. The whole federal government could get overthrown, and as long as the country is equal to the people, its future would remain intact. They may well even be better off. Glad we settled that.

yeah but the people are just going to keep rebuilding the government so the anarchists ultimately have to get rid of them too.